OT: Connecticut golf courses | Page 18 | The Boneyard

OT: Connecticut golf courses

Reaction Score
I'm not trying to be a dick. I'm recommending great places to play.
I know... I'm just envious. When I was stationed in San Diego we traveled down the Baja a short way to play a course called 'Baja Mar', which was about 10 miles north of Ensenada, right on the coast. They tried to call it the 'Pebble Beach of the South'. Wasn't quite in that range, but it is was spectacular. Combination of desert and links. Lots of ocean views, but nothing actually right on it. It is still in my top 10 all-time, maybe top 5, and my only memories are almost 40 years old.

UC313

Knucklehead
Reaction Score
Played the St Francis hospital tournament at Tumblebrook yesterday. Course was a little soggy to start but had firmed up by later in afternoon. Course played really well.

Reaction Score
I know it is hot here (mid 90s), but it is crazy to me that nobody golfs in the heat. I play much better. It is the same in Cabo. The courses are completely empty June - August.
Same here. Always played better. I think the heat tends to slow my swing way down , feel more relaxed and fluid. My scoring has always resembled a reverse bell curve with the lowest scores coming in late July-August.

Reaction Score
Taconic (Williamstown, MA - Williams College course and mentioned earlier in this thread) is a gorgeous sight in the Fall. Haven't played there in some time, though, and I think the greens fees are approaching exorbitant. Back in the early 80's you could plunk down $50 and play all day.

My favorites in Western Mass were The Orchards and Crumpin Fox. Never played The Ranch though. Was a member at Hampden, the renewed course looks interesting.

Was a member at Wintonberry Hills for a year. Fairways and greens were immaculate for a public course (hell, for any course). Thought the layout had too many redundant holes after a while, but that's just me.

Now retired in western North Carolina. Have not played for a while, but there are tons of Donald Ross courses down here and the itch is growing.

Reaction Score
Taconic (Williamstown, MA - Williams College course and mentioned earlier in this thread) is a gorgeous sight in the Fall. Haven't played there in some time, though, and I think the greens fees are approaching exorbitant. Back in the early 80's you could plunk down $50 and play all day.

My favorites in Western Mass were The Orchards and Crumpin Fox. Never played The Ranch though. Was a member at Hampden, the renewed course looks interesting.

Was a member at Wintonberry Hills for a year. Fairways and greens were immaculate for a public course (hell, for any course). Thought the layout had too many redundant holes after a while, but that's just me.

Now retired in western North Carolina. Have not played for a while, but there are tons of Donald Ross courses down here and the itch is growing.

Wintonbury is great but you are correct. I remember my first round we turned to 10 and 11 and realized the mirror of those holes (with 1 and 2) then basically saw the same in 12 and 13 (3 & 4). But it's still a great layo-ut when you get past that and a lot of fun. The Orchards is also a nice layout but a bit inconsistent in its conditions at times. Good ole Ross design which Crenshaw, Watson and many others played whenever they used to come up for the GHO. I will say the members overrate it a bit but it finishes real tough.

Reaction Score
Wintonbury is great but you are correct. I remember my first round we turned to 10 and 11 and realized the mirror of those holes (with 1 and 2) then basically saw the same in 12 and 13 (3 & 4). But it's still a great layo-ut when you get past that and a lot of fun. The Orchards is also a nice layout but a bit inconsistent in its conditions at times. Good ole Ross design which Crenshaw, Watson and many others played whenever they used to come up for the GHO. I will say the members overrate it a bit but it finishes real tough.
That was my major complaint about Wintonbury... tough to remember your round when so many holes look like the others. Haven't been back since they built the clubhouse, but will try it this year.

UConn4ever

Devil Dog
Reaction Score

Absolutely love playing the ranch conditions are always perfect and the greens are challenging . And I enjoy how #1 is a very reachable par 5 so you can start out the round on a good note with a good drive and approach shot! Actually playing it tomorrow. Can't wait

storrsroars

Exiled in Pittsburgh
Reaction Score
Nice thing about Pittsburgh is in the couple of weeks on either side of the summer soltice one can easily play through 9pm. Sunset today: 8:54. Sunset in Greenwich is 8:30. That's 2-3 extra holes!

I've yet to see a recommendation for Helmet Hill in Brookfield. You want to talk target golf, that's your course. Because you become the target.

Reaction Score
Has anyone played the course at Wampanoag?

They have gone through rough times over the years, but they always pull through. They were nearly bankrupt a few times since the 80's so the condition of the course has always been solid but not outstanding. There is still competition up in the Hartford for membership because of all the solid muni options that are around.
Good track to play but no wow factor.

Reaction Score
Nice thing about Pittsburgh is in the couple of weeks on either side of the summer soltice one can easily play through 9pm. Sunset today: 8:54. Sunset in Greenwich is 8:30. That's 2-3 extra holes!

I've yet to see a recommendation for Helmet Hill in Brookfield. You want to talk target golf, that's your course. Because you become the target.

Helmet Hill?

storrsroars

Exiled in Pittsburgh
Reaction Score
Helmet Hill?
Real name: Sunset Hills, but nobody calls it that. It's a 2400 yd 9-hole goat track on a parcel that's ridiculously tight for golf, resulting in players from one tee box bombing shots on players in different fairways. Thus, you should wear a helmet. My brother took me there once. It was frightening.

Reaction Score
What's some of the best around the state?? Has anybody played Wintonbury hills in Bloomfield gonna play that tomorrow?
A little late, but played it today. When I gave my name, the woman looked it up... and I told her it probably wasn't there as there was no clubhouse then. She said, yup, November 2003 was the last time you were here. She said don't take another 12 years to come back... and I have to say I'll definitely be back sooner than later. Course was in very good shape, especially the fairways. Greens were a bit tricky for approach shots and some putts.

Reaction Score
A little late, but played it today. When I gave my name, the woman looked it up... and I told her it probably wasn't there as there was no clubhouse then. She said, yup, November 2003 was the last time you were here. She said don't take another 12 years to come back... and I have to say I'll definitely be back sooner than later. Course was in very good shape, especially the fairways. Greens were a bit tricky for approach shots and some putts.

It is in real good shape huh? Played it a couple weeks ago and it's potentially in its best shape ever. Just don't short side yourself with that rough LOL and the firmness of the greens.

Reaction Score
I recently decided that I'd try to take golf seriously again for the first time in 10 years, though I mostly play in Rhode Island.

I'm currently at a 15.9 handicap, but I want to get it down near 10 by the end of the year. I played golf for my high school team and then stopped for a long time.

I bought new clubs, which will arrive later this week, after getting properly fitted for the first time ever. And I signed up for an amateur event in southern Mass.

Reaction Score
I recently decided that I'd try to take golf seriously again for the first time in 10 years, though I mostly play in Rhode Island.

I'm currently at a 15.9 handicap, but I want to get it down near 10 by the end of the year. I played golf for my high school team and then stopped for a long time.

I bought new clubs, which will arrive later this week, after getting properly fitted for the first time ever. And I signed up for an amateur event in southern Mass.

Great game good luck getting back.

Where do you play in RI? Where is the amateur event? Like that, off the bench and right at it.

Reaction Score
Has anyone played the course at Wampanoag?
Wampanog CC in West Hartford? Wamp is my favorite course in the area and I caddied there as a kid. Lightning fast greens and a very sporty Donald Ross design. Love Donald Ross designs because they are difficult in a very subtle way.

Reaction Score
Where do you play in RI? Where is the amateur event? Like that, off the bench and right at it.

I have been playing around where my parents live in southern RI, because that's where I had left my clubs and I went to visit them. Places like Richmond Country Club, Laurel Lane, Misquamicut Club (where my friend's family are members).

The amateur event is at Blackstone National in Sutton, MA. So far there are only 5 other people in my handicap flight, but I think it will still be fun.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Boatbro

Top Bottom