OT: Connecticut golf courses | Page 4 | The Boneyard

OT: Connecticut golf courses

Drumguy

Funny, now I mostly play guitar
Reaction Score
If you want a nice easy (little out of bounds) course, Longshore in Westport is a relatively flat easier course, I have no problem getting on.

Reaction Score
I suck at math. Also, with my game, 140 feels like 330.

The tracks are still there. I've never seen a train go by while playing, but I've always wanted to. I figure I can get a nice boxcar bounce.

Whenever I see other people on the course at Pine Valley, it feels like Ive encountered another survivor of the apocalypse. "There are others!!"
That's because all the PV leagues start at 5pm. Played there for a few years, and almost never finished in daylight.

Reaction Score
What's some of the best around the state?? Has anybody played Wintonbury hills in Bloomfield gonna play that tomorrow?
Just over the line in Southwick MA is The Ranch. Almost at Lake of Isles level.

Reaction Score
On the topic of golf. After going to Golfers Warehouse for many years and having hit or miss luck with their sales guys I decided to check out Chris Cote's in Portland and was blown away by those guys. Has anyone else been to their shops? The owner was telling me Kevin Ollie was in the other day.

I went a couple weeks ago, Kev. I went to the pre-owned side and got a set of Cobra AMP irons for 350.00. They were 2012's and looked brand new. They went for 599.00 - 699.00 new last season. The guy who helped me was awesome and asked a lot of questions to narrow my choices down to a few different sets. I googled some reviews and some prices and bought them. Totally satisfied and I'll never go to Golfers Warehouse again.

Reaction Score
I went a couple weeks ago, Kev. I went to the pre-owned side and got a set of Cobra AMP irons for 350.00. They were 2012's and looked brand new. They went for 599.00 - 699.00 new last season. The guy who helped me was awesome and asked a lot of questions to narrow my choices down to a few different sets. I googled some reviews and some prices and bought them. Totally satisfied and I'll never go to Golfers Warehouse again.
They advertise free fittings... but is that only if you buy from them? Not that I plan to buy from someone else, just asking.

Reaction Score
When I lived near Hartford used to play Minnechaug a lot before the course was sold. My father had a regular Sunday 4some and I would fill in when one of the group couldn't make it. In the several years before it was sold it was in great shape. Played Blackledge and Tallwood once or twice. Played the old Cromwell course several times before the PGA bought it. One thing they certainly did for the pros was eliminate the couple of straight, steep up hill fairways. Got to play the current course once in a fundraiser. One of my best golf moments (although I generally played lousy that day) was on 16, the par 3 over the pond, the only hole we had to play from the GHO tournament tees. Parred the sucker with a tee shot that was right over the flag stick by about 15 feet.. That was the only thing close to professional almost all day.
Used to like that old island green at the former Minnechaug. Started playing golf at Edgewood (now TPC), and have played most incarnations of the layout. Amazing changes over the years.

Reaction Score
As an aside, a few old guys around the putting green at Pequabuck yesterday were talking about how shocked they were at Andre Drummond's impressive rookie year with the Pistons.

I bet its one of you guys, c'mon, fess up!

actually, a 2 for 1 groupon for Pequabuck just popped up... don't mind if I do!

Reaction Score
They advertise free fittings... but is that only if you buy from them? Not that I plan to buy from someone else, just asking.

Free fittings. I asked the same thing, they are booked a couple weeks out right now.

cohenzone

Old Member
Reaction Score
Used to like that old island green at the former Minnechaug. Started playing golf at Edgewood (now TPC), and have played most incarnations of the layout. Amazing changes over the years.

Yeah, the island is fun. I thought they retained it on the revised layout. Many a ball of mine met a watery grave. It was always an in between length for me and if I missed it was usually long.

Reaction Score
Yeah, the island is fun. I thought they retained it on the revised layout. Many a ball of mine met a watery grave. It was always an in between length for me and if I missed it was usually long.
I haven't been there in too many years to count. Thought it was only 9 holes now (for years). I grew up in Portland long before they had any courses of their own. Minnechaug, Edgewood, and Banner Lodge were the places we usually played. Kids today don't know how well they have it. So many choices.

cohenzone

Old Member
Reaction Score
I haven't been there in too many years to count. Thought it was only 9 holes now (for years). I grew up in Portland long before they had any courses of their own. Minnechaug, Edgewood, and Banner Lodge were the places we usually played. Kids today don't know how well they have it. So many choices.

I worked at Banner for a summer and half (allergies got to be too much) while I was in college when it was just starting to decline as a resort. Young crowd had enough money to go to the Catskills or to the Caribbean. I worked outdoors (actually ran the driving range), so days off, which were rare to begin with, were rarely on nice days. I got to play the course twice. It was only 9 holes then and the year after I quit, they started building the 2nd 9. I never played the new layout and I don't remember anything of the original 9. I helped build the crafts center that Jack Banner wanted to use to start attracting more of a family crowd. If you are from Portland, did you know the family that owned the Portland Drive In and the Colchester movie theater?

Reaction Score
agree, but your first Tee shot is over the road!

So is 10 if you hit from the Blues!!! I still love that course.... None better in the summer. Any time you can see the ocean is a good day on the links.

Reaction Score
I worked at Banner for a summer and half (allergies got to be too much) while I was in college when it was just starting to decline as a resort. Young crowd had enough money to go to the Catskills or to the Caribbean. I worked outdoors (actually ran the driving range), so days off, which were rare to begin with, were rarely on nice days. I got to play the course twice. It was only 9 holes then and the year after I quit, they started building the 2nd 9. I never played the new layout and I don't remember anything of the original 9. I helped build the crafts center that Jack Banner wanted to use to start attracting more of a family crowd. If you are from Portland, did you know the family that owned the Portland Drive In and the Colchester movie theater?
It was 18 by the time I played there. Was just a kid though. Went back after growing up and learning to play and it was much different. Haven't been there in over 30 years. Sorry, don't know who owned the Portland drive-in. Probably only went there a handful of times. I worked at a camp in MA for a big chunk of time during the summers of high school.

Reaction Score

Dude, unless you are a PGA Professional, a "Member" or a VERY close friend of one, your not getting NEAR this course. Literally!! They have a guard shack on the road that leads to the club and if you don't live on that side of the island, your not allowed down there, even if you live on the other side of the island! The pro was telling me that a guy bought a house in the 7th fairway, gutted it a rebuilt it to the tune of $4 mil and put his name on the members waiting list. I saw the house from my cart, it was sick! After several years of attending the social events for prospective members he realized he wasnt getting in anytime soon so he sold his house and headed south. With names like Firestone and DuPont to compete with the chances of getting in are not in your favor. It's like Augusta of the Northeast.

Reaction Score
Dude, unless you are a PGA Professional, a "Member" or a VERY close friend of one, your not getting NEAR this course. Literally!! They have a guard shack on the road that leads to the club and if you don't live on that side of the island, your not allowed down there, even if you live on the other side of the island! The pro was telling me that a guy bought a house in the 7th fairway, gutted it a rebuilt it to the tune of $4 mil and put his name on the members waiting list. I saw the house from my cart, it was sick! After several years of attending the social events for prospective members he realized he wasnt getting in anytime soon so he sold his house and headed south. With names like Firestone and DuPont to compete with the chances of getting in are not in your favor.

First course I ever broke 90. I played there 4 times in high school as they had a high school tournament.

Reaction Score
First course I ever broke 90. I played there 4 times in high school as they had a high school tournament.

Wow!!! Thats great! Its the only golf course I know of, where the only noise you hear on like 3/4 's of the T-box's are the waves crashing.....

Reaction Score
You might like Pebble Beach. ;^)

I hear you! Played Torrey Pines last June, it was sick! The rentals are all top of the line Titleist clubs, with brand new Scotty Cameron putters in the bags. Just first class from start to finish.

Reaction Score
Usually play rockledge as I live about 5 mins from there. Luckily I am sans kids and work at hospital. This means time to play late on weeknights and I have days off during the week. I wouldn't go near the place on a weekend.

I enjoy Rockledge, Blackledge, Lyman Orchards, and Blue Fox Run as some of my favs. Play hawks landing a bunch as its right near my rents house. Playing tunxis on Tuesday and Thursday afternoons is the best. No leagues, course is cleared of the scrambles, completely dead.

Best course I've played in ct is wintonbury.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Reaction Score
I hear you! Played Torrey Pines last June, it was sick! The rentals are all top of the line Titleist clubs, with brand new Scotty Cameron putters in the bags. Just first class from start to finish.
Lived in SD for 4 years (USN). Played city championship there a few times. Tried to play Torrey at least monthly. Back in '70s it was $3.50 for residents. Should add Pebble was $50. Played there on my way home.

cohenzone

Old Member
Reaction Score
It was 18 by the time I played there. Was just a kid though. Went back after growing up and learning to play and it was much different. Haven't been there in over 30 years. Sorry, don't know who owned the Portland drive-in. Probably only went there a handful of times. I worked at a camp in MA for a big chunk of time during the summers of high school.
Was just curious. I dated the daughter of the theater owner a few times. Actually met her at Banner where she sneaked in in the trunk of a car with a friend who was related to a guy on the staff I was friendly with. She was gorgeous, a UConn calendar girl. I know she dropped out and I'd heard she became an airline stewardess (old speak). Never knew what became of her.

Reaction Score
Was just curious. I dated the daughter of the theater owner a few times. Actually met her at Banner where she sneaked in in the trunk of a car with a friend who was related to a guy on the staff I was friendly with. She was gorgeous, a UConn calendar girl. I know she dropped out and I'd heard she became an airline stewardess (old speak). Never knew what became of her.
Aah. Back when flying was fun. Smoking and drinking and checking out the stews.

Reaction Score
Usually play rockledge as I live about 5 mins from there. Luckily I am sans kids and work at hospital. This means time to play late on weeknights and I have days off during the week. I wouldn't go near the place on a weekend.

I enjoy Rockledge, Blackledge, Lyman Orchards, and Blue Fox Run as some of my favs. Play hawks landing a bunch as its right near my rents house. Playing tunxis on Tuesday and Thursday afternoons is the best. No leagues, course is cleared of the scrambles, completely dead.

Best course I've played in ct is wintonbury.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I also live less than five minutes away and like to get in a Monday or Tuesday nine.
If you want to meet up, give me a buzz with the inbox here.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
dogsdogsdog

Top Bottom