OT: Connecticut golf courses | Page 3 | The Boneyard

OT: Connecticut golf courses

Reaction Score
I don't know how hard it is to get on but the Yale course is a wonderfully quirky, olde-tyme layout....last I looked it was top 70 or so in the country.
#9 green is fascinating.....bunker to the left of #8 green is just a bit of a challenge.

I love Yale's golf course. It seems like it is never in the best shape that you know it could be, at least whenever I have played there.

The 8th bunker has nothing on the 10th in front of the green. Especially when the pin is all the way in the back.

cohenzone

Old Member
Reaction Score
Keney got much better to play once they started dragging the bodies off the greens.

It makes putting easier and tossing the corpses in the sand traps really makes course management a challenge.

Darien born and raised I suppose. In all the years I played Keney (my neighborhood course) , all the corpses were gone before the course opened for the day. The rounds started right after the memorial services. For years our group was first or second off on Sat. mornings. After 2 of our guys were murdered and dumped in the creek at 15, the other 2 of us could play 18 in about 2 1/2 hours and be home before our wives woke up. Hit the ball, drag Tommy.

For real, the best was the Sat. morning duo of Howard and Roscoe. Howard ran the pro shop and routinely came after play was supposed to start. Roscoe was the starter. Even though the same groups played at the same time every week, he would say no one could play before paying Howard even though we all promised to pay after 9. Eventually he would give in. His other trick was to whistle people in the first fairway for slow play (police whistle) even when they weren't playing slow. That was before private management took over and made some changes . I go back a long way, when a guy named Andy Beiszat was the pro. Always looked like he just came from working on an assembly line. All dirt tee boxes. The layout changed over time with holes 7 and 8 switching fairways, 10 going from a long 4 to a 5 with the green being shifted forward accordingly, and 11 becoming a 3.

cohenzone

Old Member
Reaction Score
Pequabuck is my favorite course to play in the area. They actually had an incredible all-season Groupon last month- 2 people, 18 and a cart, weekday just $60 total. Might still be up, definitely worth the savings. It's a nice course and runs about $50 regularly. The entire course isn't as spectacular looking as its implied when you drive by it via Route 6 (right over the water), but its still nice.

16 there is my favorite hole of any course I've played- 180 yard Par 3 with a 100 foot drop from tee to green. You can't help but aim at the pin, and will keep hitting until you land one within five feet. So much fun.

Pequabuck and Pine Valley are usually pretty empty. I play PV more regularly just because its a few minutes shorter and Im on their email chain where they send out monthly coupons. PV is usually desolate, but well-maintained and is a nice day out for $40. They overcharge on the weekend because they think its more private than it is.

So you're the other guy at Pine Valley when we play there.

whaler11

Head Happy Hour Coach
Reaction Score
So you're the other guy at Pine Valley when we play there.

I haven't played there in decades. Actually mostly forgot it was there. If it's empty I've got to get out there.

Reaction Score
I don't know how hard it is to get on but the Yale course is a wonderfully quirky, olde-tyme layout....last I looked it was top 70 or so in the country.
#9 green is fascinating.....bunker to the left of #8 green is just a bit of a challenge.
Yale has many different methods of access and should be played at least once by an aspiring/veteran golfer enthusiast. It is particularly spectacular during foliage time. Call pro shop for details on access. If no contact with Yale U., it is pricey. But worthwhile.

cohenzone

Old Member
Reaction Score
I haven't played there in decades. Actually mostly forgot it was there. If it's empty I've got to get out there.

Crap, knew I shouldn't have mentioned it. Seriously, it isn't unusual on a nice day to do a tee time around 9 and have nobody near you on the course. Once in while someone goes out in front of us and if we are faster, we play through and pretty much play at our own pace. By noon, if there are as many as 7 or so groups on the course, you're looking at a big crowd. I think they rely on leagues and weekends.

If you compare it to almost any other course I know, the difference is amazing. Timberlin is always crowded, same for Lyman and Oxford is usually busy. Places like Orange Hills and Grassy Hills not too bad, but not all that exciting either. Woodhaven in Bethany is a nice 9 hole course with maybe the most difficult greens around. Fairview Farms in Harwinton is a nice course, but a little out of the way for most people. The people at Pine Valley tell me that when Fairview opened, they (PV) lost some of their Waterbury area business to them. I live near Alling Memorial and only played there once and thought it a decent muni. Played 9 hole Sleeping Giant a few times, Funky course, nice scenery. Playing Southington CC tomorrow as a change up to Pine Valley. This will be my 4th time there.

Reaction Score
On the topic of golf. After going to Golfers Warehouse for many years and having hit or miss luck with their sales guys I decided to check out Chris Cote's in Portland and was blown away by those guys. Has anyone else been to their shops? The owner was telling me Kevin Ollie was in the other day.

Just so you know, Cote is an old Golfers WH guy. He made the move out on his own so that he no longer had to work for "The Man"

Reaction Score
I love Lake of Isles but it's hard to justify the green fees

Just as a heads up.... They run a 2 for 1 greens fee deal every April. you pay the $130/140 for one round and you get a second round in April free. It has to be used in April or else you lose it, no exceptions. It makes the pain a little bit less, but the catch is that your game typically isn't ready for the shots you need on that course at that time of year. The rounds turn out to be like many of my relationships at Uconn... Up and down!!

Reaction Score
One course you will never see me playing again is Stanley. They ruined that course with the driving range and changing the greens on the blue 9 side.

Tower Ridge is quirky but they seem to have a good greens keeper there. Course was in great shape when I played last year.

For the New Haven area, Alling Memorial is not a bad track at all. I played Oak Lane a couple weeks ago and won't be returning.

Reaction Score
Pequabuck is my favorite course to play in the area. They actually had an incredible all-season Groupon last month- 2 people, 18 and a cart, weekday just $60 total. Might still be up, definitely worth the savings. It's a nice course and runs about $50 regularly. The entire course isn't as spectacular looking as its implied when you drive by it via Route 6 (right over the water), but its still nice.

16 there is my favorite hole of any course I've played- 180 yard Par 3 with a 100 foot drop from tee to green. You can't help but aim at the pin, and will keep hitting until you land one within five feet. So much fun.

Pequabuck and Pine Valley are usually pretty empty. I play PV more regularly just because its a few minutes shorter and Im on their email chain where they send out monthly coupons. PV is usually desolate, but well-maintained and is a nice day out for $40. They overcharge on the weekend because they think its more private than it is.

Hey Z, that hole can't be more than 160 and it plays like 140. It is fun hitting across the railroad tracks on that hole. I assume they are still there as I haven't played the course in at least 15 years. 10 and 11 are the signature holes along the reservoir and also fun to play.

whaler11

Head Happy Hour Coach
Reaction Score
I used to play Southington CC a lot. It's ok. I played Hawk's Landing late last year and it wasn't as good as I remembered from when we used to play there in high school.

Reaction Score
I played Blackledge yesterday, enjoyed it alot. Course was in good shape.

UC313

Knucklehead
Reaction Score
Played Southington CC Saturday and its in good shape, 2nd cut is a bit long though. Cant beat Quarry Ridge in Portland for great views and a tough course.

Reaction Score
If you get down to the shoreline try Schennecosset in Groton. The last 4 holes are fantastic. 16/17' are on the water. # 4 is one of the hardest par3's you will face.

agree, but your first Tee shot is over the road!

zls44

Your #icebus Tour Director
Reaction Score
Hey Z, that hole can't be more than 160 and it plays like 140. It is fun hitting across the railroad tracks on that hole. I assume they are still there as I haven't played the course in at least 15 years. 10 and 11 are the signature holes along the reservoir and also fun to play.

I suck at math. Also, with my game, 140 feels like 330.

The tracks are still there. I've never seen a train go by while playing, but I've always wanted to. I figure I can get a nice boxcar bounce.

Whenever I see other people on the course at Pine Valley, it feels like Ive encountered another survivor of the apocalypse. "There are others!!"

cohenzone

Old Member
Reaction Score
I played Blackledge yesterday, enjoyed it alot. Course was in good shape.

When I lived near Hartford used to play Minnechaug a lot before the course was sold. My father had a regular Sunday 4some and I would fill in when one of the group couldn't make it. In the several years before it was sold it was in great shape. Played Blackledge and Tallwood once or twice. Played the old Cromwell course several times before the PGA bought it. One thing they certainly did for the pros was eliminate the couple of straight, steep up hill fairways. Got to play the current course once in a fundraiser. One of my best golf moments (although I generally played lousy that day) was on 16, the par 3 over the pond, the only hole we had to play from the GHO tournament tees. Parred the sucker with a tee shot that was right over the flag stick by about 15 feet.. That was the only thing close to professional almost all day.

zls44

Reaction Score
As an aside, a few old guys around the putting green at Pequabuck yesterday were talking about how shocked they were at Andre Drummond's impressive rookie year with the Pistons.

I bet its one of you guys, c'mon, fess up!

zls44

Reaction Score
Crap, knew I shouldn't have mentioned it. Seriously, it isn't unusual on a nice day to do a tee time around 9 and have nobody near you on the course. Once in while someone goes out in front of us and if we are faster, we play through and pretty much play at our own pace. By noon, if there are as many as 7 or so groups on the course, you're looking at a big crowd. I think they rely on leagues and weekends.

I have no idea how they stay open as a business. No clue. It seems impossible.

cohenzone

Old Member
Reaction Score
I have no idea how they stay open as a business. No clue. It seems impossible.
And have the funds to keep the place in really good shape almost all the time.

Drumguy

Funny, now I mostly play guitar
Reaction Score
Never played it, but Richter Park in Danbury is supposed to be a top 25 public course.
Have played it, very good course. You see quicksand warning signs on some of the sides of the fairways.

Drumguy

Reaction Score
I like it as well. A couple of blind shots to the green and hit that bell telling the foursome behind you its okay to hit! Nine a daunting green if you on on the wrong side of the dip in the middle of the green.

Drumguy

Reaction Score
If you have a friend as a member, the Connecticut Golf Club in Easton is a great course. I played in the ballbuster member guest tournament in October where several hole placements resulted in 5 puts, 7 puts. Beautiful shape fun course though, and sorry no women allowed.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
WillngtnOak

Top Bottom