OT: Connecticut College | Page 8 | The Boneyard

OT: Connecticut College

Reaction Score
Union College people are fanatical about being Union College people. Saying that as a compliment.

I'm a Schenectady County resident, work with several other lawyers who are alum, they all love it. 3 of my younger cousins all hailing from CT are alums or current students and love it. My aunts/uncles were a bit like it's so far away when the kids wanted to go there but found it to be a fast drive.

I really like the campus when I am there, which is mostly for hockey and football.

Neighbor works there says nice things about working there.

I have working relationships with security office and tittle 9 office, they are all a pleasure to deal with. I've called professors about cases a couple times always super pleasant.

City of Schenectady not a lot going on and not a lot of reason for the kids to be off campus which is why sometimes campus is called City of Union kids walk on campus Freshman year and off campus after graduation. I will say Schenectady high crime reputation is real consistently high(est) in New York State per capita but Union kids almost never get caught up in that.

Reaction Score
View attachment 75450

You would send your daughter to school with a pictures naked women painting on the buildings? What? Are Sodom and Gomorrah not taking new applicants?
You’d never know I was stationed at the Sub Base across the river for 3 years, and took a night class at Mitchell JC, and have zero idea where that was.

Fishy

Elite Premium Poster
Reaction Score
I will meet you at Dutch Tavern.

That little half block has a pretty interesting history; iirc correctly it’s one of the only parts of downtown that was spared when Benedict Arnold ordered New London to be burned to the ground.

Eugene O’Neill also hung out there.

Deal.

I just looked at the menu…is that place for real?

Curiouser
Reaction Score
Deal.

I just looked at the menu…is that place for real?
Yep. Like a time machine. Burgers are made with those Tupperware burger shaping things. Basic but good.

HuskyHawk

The triumphant return of the Blues Brothers.
Reaction Score
Yep. Like a time machine. Burgers are made with those Tupperware burger shaping things. Basic but good.
I’ve got a place with a similar menu near me, called the Beef Barn. Burger and fries is $4.50, as is their roast beef sandwich. It’s old school portion sizes. Assume Dutch Tavern is like that. I like it, I sure as hell do not need a half pound hamburger.

Curiouser
Reaction Score
I’ve got a place with a similar menu near me, called the Beef Barn. Burger and fries is $4.50, as is their roast beef sandwich. It’s old school portion sizes. Assume Dutch Tavern is like that. I like it, I sure as hell do not need a half pound hamburger.
Yep. Very old school. This article from 1998 gives a good sense of the place; Peter and Martha still own it:

The Dutch is New London’s McSorley’s, undisturbed by time and pedestrian malls and plans of development, as dependable as the grill fare and the failure of the Red Sox.
There is also a great record store down the street, the Telegraph:

Last edited:

ClifSpliffy

surf's up
Reaction Score
whoa, whoa, whoa, wait, hoad up....
so i see ur stuff, mostly sincere, legit, worth a look. then i learn that u born in Kansas, and happy to win a ring. also legit, understandable, congratulations. but then u drop a post starting out with someplace called the beef barn (gettin excited on that tease, looking like tasty thoughts ahead...) yet u finish with 'do not need a half pound burger.' wait, whut? what's wrong with u?
quote-senator-you-ve-done-enough-have-you-no-sense-of-decency-sir-at-long-last-have-you-left-joseph-n-welch-61-13-18.jpg

everrbuddy needs a half pound burger, at the least.
why do you hate on The People?
u sound like onnadose folks who gladly, willingly, and regularly patronize the hosebag joints charging fiddy for an 'entree' consisting of a few shaved carrots, some napkins sauteed in beef broth, with a hint of pistachio, feet, and sour cream in a savory marchand de vin sauce, aka 'bowls of slop.'
apparently, u lerned nuthin from yo mama when she told u,
'that ain't gonna fill u up.'
people in Kansas, and where i live in Connecticut, eagerly look forward to a meal at the beef barn, cuz we know that when we walk out after, we'll be sated, and not slated for the funny farm, which we would legitly be wonderin aboot after we left feeding time at le petite foofoo, thinking 'i paid fiddy for that? mebbe i read name wrong. mebbe it actually said 'le petite foolfool.'
Beef_1562007749002-HR.jpg

learn it. live it. sleep peacefully and completely.

Last edited:
Reaction Score
Campus Pizza at bottom of the hill used to have good pizza - best in NL. Not sure now. Mr G across street was the hangout.

Know many people who attended CC. Used to be called 'CC for Women', but after they began accepting men, it was slanged 'CC for Anybody'. I think the rating went down. Haven't checked the WSJ poll.

Fishy

Elite Premium Poster
Reaction Score
Union College people are fanatical about being Union College people. Saying that as a compliment.

I'm a Schenectady County resident, work with several other lawyers who are alum, they all love it. 3 of my younger cousins all hailing from CT are alums or current students and love it. My aunts/uncles were a bit like it's so far away when the kids wanted to go there but found it to be a fast drive.

I really like the campus when I am there, which is mostly for hockey and football.

Neighbor works there says nice things about working there.

I have working relationships with security office and tittle 9 office, they are all a pleasure to deal with. I've called professors about cases a couple times always super pleasant.

City of Schenectady not a lot going on and not a lot of reason for the kids to be off campus which is why sometimes campus is called City of Union kids walk on campus Freshman year and off campus after graduation. I will say Schenectady high crime reputation is real consistently high(est) in New York State per capita but Union kids almost never get caught up in that.

My wife is actually from that general area and we only live about 90 minutes away so the area is known to us.

Also been to a lot of swim meets up there and the swimmers like to stop at Newest Lunch on the way home.

Like $3.50 for a burger….how do they survive?

We’re heading back out there a week from today. Likely going to Capt. Scott’s but will hit this eventually, either if she goes there or if I head to the cape via 95.

Reaction Score
Campus Pizza at bottom of the hill used to have good pizza - best in NL. Not sure now. Mr G across street was the hangout.

Know many people who attended CC. Used to be called 'CC for Women', but after they began accepting men, it was slanged 'CC for Anybody'. I think the rating went down. Haven't checked the WSJ poll.
Still there

Fishy Next door is Sellfish--Cant beat their fish & chips during happy hour 3-5 PM $12.50

And I assume you have been to Michaels, ice cream. walk to CC

Capt Scotts still going strong

Curiouser
Reaction Score
My wife is actually from that general area and we only live about 90 minutes away so the area is known to us.

Also been to a lot of swim meets up there and the swimmers like to stop at Newest Lunch on the way home.

Like $3.50 for a burger….how do they survive?

We’re heading back out there a week from today. Likely going to Capt. Scott’s but will hit this eventually, either if she goes there or if I head to the cape via 95.
It used to be the case that you could play schools like Union and Connecticut College off of each other and get them to up their merit awards another few thousand dollars or more. When our oldest was applying to colleges in 2016 apparently most schools stopped that practice, and switched instead to coming out of the gates with their highest and best offer, from which few would negotiate further. She did well with merit aid and I was not successful in getting it increased at the two places that I tried.

Hearing and observing how the college market has become more of a buyer's market with respect to some small liberal arts schools since then (and especially since the pandemic), I'm thinking it might be worth a shot for you to give it a try here. I realize that she has already earned a very generous award, but it couldn't hurt to mention that she's torn between x and y schools and see if they sweeten the pot somehow. Even if not more merit aid, maybe an honors program opportunity, priority dorm choice, etc.

Fishy

Elite Premium Poster
Reaction Score
It used to be the case that you could play schools like Union and Connecticut College off of each other and get them to up their merit awards another few thousand dollars or more. When our oldest was applying to colleges in 2016 apparently most schools stopped that practice, and switched instead to coming out of the gates with their highest and best offer, from which few would negotiate further. She did well with merit aid and I was not successful in getting it increased at the two places that I tried.

Hearing and observing how the college market has become more of a buyer's market with respect to some small liberal arts schools since then (and especially since the pandemic), I'm thinking it might be worth a shot for you to give it a try here. I realize that she has already earned a very generous award, but it couldn't hurt to mention that she's torn between x and y schools and see if they sweeten the pot somehow. Even if not more merit aid, maybe an honors program opportunity, priority dorm choice, etc.

She‘s actually maxed at both, with an additional award from an outside group at one of them…but it is not a bad idea.

We actually did do that with two larger schools. One asked if it would make them her top choice, (“Yep. Sure. Definitely.”), and they upped their offer and one was like, LOL! No!

The worst they can do is say no.

Reaction Score
Still there

Fishy Next door is Sellfish--Cant beat their fish & chips during happy hour 3-5 PM $12.50

And I assume you have been to Michaels, ice cream. walk to CC

Capt Scotts still going strong
Sellfish is on Pequot Ave. near Fred's Shanty and On The Waterfront. closer to the hospital. Michael's is operated and owned? by and near Mitchell College

Reaction Score
Once owned by the Buscetto (spl?) family. It used to be farm land with cows for the dairy - yes, the real deal. I think Mitchell College bought it, and all the pasture space now has dorms, etc.

Reaction Score
Once owned by the Buscetto (spl?) family. It used to be farm land with cows for the dairy - yes, the real deal. I think Mitchell College bought it, and all the pasture space now has dorms, etc.
My bad Had the wrong college--Michaels still there next to Mitchell Opened Tuesday for the saeson

Fishy

Elite Premium Poster
Reaction Score
We went to accepted students day at Conn, Syracuse, Nova and Holy Cross; cancelled out on Union’s which is in a few days.

All the schools, save Nova, do a really nice job and seem to be genuinely enthusiastic about the kids they’ve admitted. At the end of it, though, she just loved all the people she met at Connecticut College - it’s nice to talk to the associate dean of whatever at some schools, but at Conn, she met and spoke to the president, dean of admissions, etc., etc.

She loves the people, the campus and the fact that it’s close, but not too close, so that‘s where she’s going. Her mom likes that she has grandparents and uncles relatively close by and her father likes the scholarship.

Schools that we really enjoyed - Conn, Union, Syracuse, Vermont, Georgetown. All really nice people everywhere.

Schools that we could take or leave - Binghamton, American.

Schools that we actively disliked dealing with - Villanova and Providence. I think Nova is just overwhelmed with the number of applications they are getting these days and everything is just kinda rushed. Providence is just a disorganized mess; even the normal campus visit was a dumpster fire - first school she tossed out.

Reaction Score
We went to accepted students day at Conn, Syracuse, Nova and Holy Cross; cancelled out on Union’s which is in a few days.

All the schools, save Nova, do a really nice job and seem to be genuinely enthusiastic about the kids they’ve admitted. At the end of it, though, she just loved all the people she met at Connecticut College - it’s nice to talk to the associate dean of whatever at some schools, but at Conn, she met and spoke to the president, dean of admissions, etc., etc.

She loves the people, the campus and the fact that it’s close, but not too close, so that‘s where she’s going. Her mom likes that she has grandparents and uncles relatively close by and her father likes the scholarship.

Schools that we really enjoyed - Conn, Union, Syracuse, Vermont, Georgetown. All really nice people everywhere.

Schools that we actively disliked dealing with - Villanova and Providence. I think Nova is just overwhelmed with the number of applications they are getting these days and everything is just kinda rushed. Providence is just a disorganized mess; even the normal campus visit was a dumpster fire - first school she tossed out.
If you're not already familiar with Abbotts Lobster in the Rough/Noank.. Pretty cool/casual vibe.. BYOB.. Outdoor dining.. Picnic tables.. On the water view.. Might want to check it out.. Close to CC

Curiouser
Reaction Score

Congratulations to all of you. Best of luck, enjoy the ride and see you at the Dutch.

I am curious what your impression of Holy Cross was. I haven't been there since I was looking at it myself in high school, but more than a half dozen in laws have attended, including some in recent years, and all seem to be very fond of it (almost cultish, tbh).

I just started the process for the third and (in all likelihood) final time with our youngest, who is currently a high school sophomore. I am starting her early, and very gradually, because I've seen how it gets jammed and pressurized, and I'm trying to minimize the anxiety for her, especially with all the changes over the past two-plus years. We walked around PC by ourselves last year while we were in Providence and she was interested, primarily because it looked nice enough and she likes the city of Providence. I checked out the Brown campus by myself on my morning run and holy crap I think it may be the prettiest college campus I've ever seen, although not a realistic option (unless @BigErnMcCracken can pull some strings...).

In any event, we did an official information session and tour at Marist last week and she really enjoyed it, but it was her first official college visit and I know how that often goes. It was my first visit there, but Marist was in our oldest daughter's final three (my wife went with her for both the initial tour and accepted students day) so I have been curious since then, and I was impressed at their presentation when I attended the accepted students reception with her in CT. I was more impressed by the campus and facilities than I expected to be, and I continued to be impressed at their ability to sell results, which appear to have remained very favorable as compared to most. Like you described with Conn College for your daughter, I think we all like that Marist is close but not too close, and the ease of access to NYC (and Manhattan campus), as well as their Florence, Italy campus are also of interest. I am surprised at how many boxes it checks, although Poughkeepsie itself is not a draw. We'll see...

Fishy

Elite Premium Poster
Reaction Score
Congratulations to all of you. Best of luck, enjoy the ride and see you at the Dutch.

I am curious what your impression of Holy Cross was. I haven't been there since I was looking at it myself in high school, but more than a half dozen in laws have attended, including some in recent years, and all seem to be very fond of it (almost cultish, tbh).

I just started the process for the third and (in all likelihood) final time with our youngest, who is currently a high school sophomore. I am starting her early, and very gradually, because I've seen how it gets jammed and pressurized, and I'm trying to minimize the anxiety for her, especially with all the changes over the past two-plus years. We walked around PC by ourselves last year while we were in Providence and she was interested, primarily because it looked nice enough and she likes the city of Providence. I checked out the Brown campus by myself on my morning run and holy crap I think it may be the prettiest college campus I've ever seen, although not a realistic option (unless @BigErnMcCracken can pull some strings...).

In any event, we did an official information session and tour at Marist last week and she really enjoyed it, but it was her first official college visit and I know how that often goes. It was my first visit there, but Marist was in our oldest daughter's final three (my wife went with her for both the initial tour and accepted students day) so I have been curious since then, and I was impressed at their presentation when I attended the accepted students reception with her in CT. I was more impressed by the campus and facilities than I expected to be, and I continued to be impressed at their ability to sell results, which appear to have remained very favorable as compared to most. Like you described with Conn College for your daughter, I think we all like that Marist is close but not too close, and the ease of access to NYC (and Manhattan campus), as well as their Florence, Italy campus are also of interest. I am surprised at how many boxes it checks, although Poughkeepsie itself is not a draw. We'll see...

Providence is pretty, the location is great and the school is good, but they managed to sing all the wrong notes with our kid.

I love Marist. Completely biased, but I love it. (I live at the Home Depot across the street.) We’ve had hoop season tickets there for a billion years and have been to swim meets there yearly for a decade.

The assistant swim coach there is one of my daughter’s former head coaches and his daughter swam/graduated at/from Connecticut College and is now at Penn. He was a source of info for the kid’s decision.

Beautiful little campus right on the river. Poughkeepsie is not a draw - although the restaurants on Main Street are excellent - but just south is Samuel Morse’s Locust Grove, just north is Hyde Park and the Roosevelt and Vanderbilt estates on the river. Go a little further and it’s Rhinebeck, Redhook and Hudson which are great little towns.

It’s right near the Walkway over the Hudson, about three breweries and short drive from the village of New Paltz and the Shawangunk mountains.

Fishy

Elite Premium Poster
Reaction Score
If you're not already familiar with Abbotts Lobster in the Rough/Noank.. Pretty cool/casual vibe.. BYOB.. Outdoor dining.. Picnic tables.. On the water view.. Might want to check it out.. Close to CC

I was not….but I will be.

I definitely will.

TRest

Horrible
Reaction Score

Yeah my kids (twins) crossed PC off while driving home from the campus tour in 2017. A really weird vibe for non-Catholic kids.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
dogsdogsdog

Top Bottom