OT: Connecticut College | The Boneyard

OT: Connecticut College

Fishy

Elite Premium Poster
Reaction Score
The kid is in the last stages of decoding where she will go to college…

She’s basically going to choose from a pair of current Big East schools, (thankfully, she’s tossed Providence), a former Big East school and Connecticut College/Holy Cross/union as small school picks.

I didn’t go to Conn College when she visited, so have no insight into the place. I am a little concerned that a kid who goes to a high school with 4,500 kids is going to be out of place at a college of 1800 kids.

Anyone familiar with the place?

Reaction Score
Yes, I've been there 5 times. My older son toured the school, interviewed there (on separate days) and was accepted so we went to accepted students day. He ended up going to another NESCAC school. My younger son toured and interviewed there (on separate days) but applied to another NESCAC school early decision and was accepted so we never went again. I had a friend whose daughter was there when my older son was applying and we leaned on her for information on the school. It's a fine school, on the lower end of selectivity of the NESCAC schools with Trinity. We've been to Union a few times also. My older son applied and was accepted but that is as far as we got and my younger son just toured there. I think it's a little bigger than CC but still small. Neither applied to Holy Cross but the son of one of my best friends is a freshman there.

Both of my sons wanted small schools, with small classes, with access to professors, etc. They didn't care about Greek life or a party atmosphere that bigger schools offer. There are pros and cons to a small LAC. CC is definitely small like the school my sons went to. Depends what is most important to her. What exactly do you want to know about CC?

Reaction Score
Don't know what you consider her strengths to be.. But from an academic perspective. CC has an excellent reputation. If she's a social person and wants some fun aside from academics.. Might be some better choices.

Of the ladies that have gone there that I am familiar with.. High character/intelligent and mature women.

Hope this helps-My spin.

Dove

Part of the 2%
Reaction Score
The kid is in the last stages of decoding where she will go to college…

She’s basically going to choose from a pair of current Big East schools, (thankfully, she’s tossed Providence), a former Big East school and Connecticut College/Holy Cross/union as small school picks.

I didn’t go to Conn College when she visited, so have no insight into the place. I am a little concerned that a kid who goes to a high school with 4,500 kids is going to be out of place at a college of 1800 kids.

Anyone familiar with the place?
At Conn College, throat punching is an offense that warrants expulsion for the first offense.

Reaction Score
Yes, I've been there 5 times. My older son toured the school, interviewed there (on separate days) and was accepted so we went to accepted students day. He ended up going to another NESCAC school. My younger son toured and interviewed there (on separate days) but applied to another NESCAC school early decision and was accepted so we never went again. I had a friend whose daughter was there when my older son was applying and we leaned on her for information on the school. It's a fine school, on the lower end of selectivity of the NESCAC schools with Trinity. We've been to Union a few times also. My older son applied and was accepted but that is as far as we got and my younger son just toured there. I think it's a little bigger than CC but still small. Neither applied to Holy Cross but the son of one of my best friends is a freshman there.

So one goes to Hamilton and the other goes where? How does he like Hamilton?

Reaction Score
i went to a NESCAC school

for the small schools i'd rank it above Union but below Holy Cross. based on undergrad liberal arts academics alone i'd rank it above any current BE school other than Gtown and maybe Nova. similarly, i'd also rank it above Cuse/Pitt/Lville but below BC.

Gtown > BC > Holy Cross > Conn College/Nova.

Last edited:
Reaction Score
I didn’t realize HS kids valued small class sizes.

It never even crossed my mind when I was 17, and I felt I always had access to professors or TAs when needed at UConn. The school of business classes were quite small.

Reaction Score
Good academic rep but definitely in the bottom tier of the NESCAC as far as prestige goes. I had one professor at UConn who also worked at Conn College and she was stellar. Athletics are very small-time (Outside soccer? Student support was meh but they just won the d3 title so maybe engagement will go up?) so her social interactions will have to come elsewhere. Beautiful small campus but very isolated, essentially on a highway, not walkable to anything. Many of the kids I've met who went there continued on to do well for themselves. Very expensive

Reaction Score
Daughter goes to Union and loves it. It meets full financial need so for us it was actually cheaper than UConn.

Reaction Score
Pro: 10 minutes from Mohegan Sun

Con: in New London

My parents have a beach house nearby in Groton Long Point. Some kids live off campus and rent houses there. It’s a super nice area and a short ride to Mystic which has all the fun bars and restaurants. Probably pretty expensive to rent but so is the tuition for CC lol

Reaction Score
The NESCAC schools are all solid. The major benefit over similarly competitive/ranked state schools is tiny classes and not being taught by TAs. I would have her check out the area... New London isn't for everyone. Plenty of cool towns around, but she isn't getting a big campus or city feel if that's what she likes.

If I was looking at CT NESCAC schools, Wesleyan would be head and shoulders #1 on my list, personally.

Also horrendously expensive if your family makes decent money.

Reaction Score
So one goes to Hamilton and the other goes where? How does he like Hamilton?
The older one graduated from there in 2020. He loved it. The younger one is a sophomore there. It was between Colgate (50% more students and D1 sports) and Hamilton for the younger one and his older brother and his friends convinced him to apply ED to Hamilton. He loves it also. I generally think Hamilton does a great job with everything. They are very attentive to the needs of the students.

He visits his friend who goes to Michigan when he wants a taste of big time sports. The last time he came back from there he said after talking to a bunch of kids at Michigan he thinks he made the right decision to go to a small school. Pros and cons to both.

Reaction Score
My daughter is a Sophomore. It wasn't her first choice, but more of a COVID decision, they offered in person classes and it kept her local if things went south. At first I wasn't a fan of the liberal arts education, but she has thrived there and found her way, and I am now a fan. Yes it is a small school with plusses and minuses associated with that, but my daughter is happy and thriving there. It has amazing alumni connections that landed her a great internship this summer, and she is on a first name basis with many of her teachers (not sure if that is a good thing or not). I am sure she would talk to your daughter if she had any questions.

Full disclosure, the dorms are fully co-ed, and my daughter does complain about boys pooping in the next stall to her.

Reaction Score
The NESCAC schools are all solid. The major benefit over similarly competitive/ranked state schools is tiny classes and not being taught by TAs. I would have her check out the area... New London isn't for everyone. Plenty of cool towns around, but she isn't getting a big campus or city feel if that's what she likes.

If I was looking at CT NESCAC schools, Wesleyan would be head and shoulders #1 on my list, personally.

We visited Wesleyan and an acquaintance of my son's who goes there is 2 years older so we spent some time with him there. I thought it had a weird vibe. Neither of my sons liked it. I did like that Middletown was right there and had enough bars and restaurants to keep a college kid busy. A majority of the NESCAC schools, like Conn College, are not walkable to much.

Reaction Score
A good friend of mine graduated from CT College. He said it's overpriced and not a great value all in all. Not first hand, but passing it on.

Reaction Score
It’s a 20 minute drive to Ford’s Lobster, Noah’s and Jonathan Edwards winery, so there’s a heck of a weekend food/wine benefit for when you visit.

Either way, congrats to your daughter. She’s got into some competitive schools, so hats off.

Fishy

Elite Premium Poster
Reaction Score

The merit aid is substantial - essentially makes Union and Conn about half the cost of Nova or Georgetown. Holy Cross and Syracuse are somewhere in the middle.

So basically, $30K for Binghamton/Buffalo instate, $40K for Conn/Union, $50K Syracuse, $60K Holy Cross and $80K Georgetown/Nova.

The college admissions process right now is horrible. It’s a meat grinder for these kids.

Last edited:
Reaction Score
So basically, $30K for Binghamton/Buffalo instate, $40K for Conn/Union, $50K Syracuse, $60K Holy Cross and $80K Georgetown/Nova.
with tuition normally $60k that seems like a no-brainer. hopefully kid agrees.

Reaction Score
Purely anecdotal, but everyone I’ve ever met who went there is a huge stiff lacking any semblance of a personality.
I was at parents weekend last fall talking Celtics basketball to a guy, and my daughter later pointed out to me that he was a partial owner of the team that just donated a zillion dollars to the school. He was just a regular every day guy wanting to talk about basketball.

Curiouser
Reaction Score
It’s a 20 minute drive to Ford’s Lobster, Noah’s and Jonathan Edwards winery, so there’s a heck of a weekend food/wine benefit for when you visit.

Either way, congrats to your daughter. She’s got into some competitive schools, so hats off.
Why would he drive 20 minutes for a lobster roll when there are countless nearby infants who could easily make them for him?

Reaction Score
Outside of the publics, tuition, room and board almost everywhere these days is $80,000….it’s amazing how every school somehow settled on that magic number.
So it’s basically tripled in the last 15-20 years. God help my grandchildren, because I can’t.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Vincent22

Top Bottom