OT: Connecticut College | Page 6 | The Boneyard

OT: Connecticut College

Reaction Score
Another piece of advice: because of test-optional admissions there are now a great many more washouts in freshman year.

Transferring, as annoying as that seems, is easier than ever especially at top schools that went wonky with admissions.

Reaction Score
It's all leading me to push to my kids that there is a great school out there for them. Like real estate (not falling in love with one house), they shouldn't fall in love with one school because their acceptance may hinge on something out of their control.
This. There is not 1 perfect school for everyone. My general impression is that once kids go to a school, most of them end up loving it. And all schools have lots of things that students can take advantage of. As someone said in this thread, you get out of your college experience what you put into it.

QDOG5

I dont have a drug problem I have a police problem
Reaction Score
@Exodus O'Leary lives out my way. I don't really know him well but I've played ball with him a couple times . He's a beast on the court.

HuskyHawk

The triumphant return of the Blues Brothers.
Reaction Score
I have a niece in CT who is just going through the admissions process and I was shocked at what was happening to her. Some of the stuff here at least explains it. Straight A's in high school with a high degree of rigor (8 AP courses with 5's on all the AP tests). 1550 on her SAT. Some extracurricular and ran X-country. Here's what she got:

Northeastern: denied admission
University of Washington: denied admission
University of Virginia: denied admission
University of North Carolina-Chapel Hill: denied admission
University of Maryland: accepted, no merit aid
University of Wisconsin: accepted, no merit aid
Boston University: guaranteed transfer admittance after going somewhere else for a year
University of Connecticut: accepted, no merit aid
George Washington: accepted, $22k/year merit aid

I mean, who is getting into Northeastern if a student like this can't?
Just have to ask: was that school a public school that was mostly remote all year? The public university results are about what I'd expect, except maybe UW. Out of state at top publics can be brutal. BU no surprise. Northeastern probably needing a small class this year to make up for the big class last year. Also, did she declare an expected major? As @upstater has noted, certain schools within the school need students, others are full. Declaring in the sciences may hurt your admission chances.

As was discussed in the thread I started last year, it seems like significant Merit is going to come from the next rung down private schools, like Fairfield for example. St. Joes in Philly.

ClifSpliffy

surf's up
Reaction Score
Seeing the prices for colleges now has only confirmed that I will push my 3 year old to be an electrician or plumber. I do not want to even think about what prices will be in 15 years if this contjnues. Go to trade school work as an apprentice then open your own shop. Far too few plumbers, electricians, and other tradesmen nowadays.
the majority of 'trades' folks that i know make way past 100k these days. good on them if making bank was their agenda, relative to any 'school choice' issues that might have been on their mind in hs days. i've always expected that the folks who actually do the stuff integral to the rest of us would get recognized some day. when wacky times began a few years back, it turns out that was the starting bell for this overdue rec. at first, they all went full in, taking every job possible, thinking 'make it while u can, cuz who knows how long it will last?' now, most are settling into,
(from joe walsh 'life's been good to me") 'just leave a message, mebbe i'll call.'
the wheels of justice grind exceedingly slow, yet exceedingly fine. considering how many beagles and blowhards are floating around lately, id say the trades gang, en masse, make more than most of the beagles and the blowhards. justice.
metaverse cracks me up, big time. web page designer types, personal trainers, polling quants, and the like don't seem to perform so well when the roof leaks. or the tree falls on the doghouse. and god forbid iffn they get a wasp sting, tick bite, or have to lug the coleman out to the campfire.
actions have consequences. cf, 'participation trophies' and 'helicopter parents.' guess what, guess what! the 'no loud noises' generation found themselves standing next to a nuke going off recently, and now they all need ear doctors. life is funny like that sumtimes.
and oh, a few years in, the data on 'state of the youtes,' worldwide is pouring in, and looks exactly like my musings on the bug and it's expected effects on the youtes, spring 2020. exactly.
the early leaders for absolute disaster are the chinese youtes. they call it 'lying flat' over there, as the kids absolutely cannot deal with other humans, and 'live' only online. gonna be tuff to get a plumber there, or a boyfriend or girlfriend, or a life. sad.

Last edited:
Reaction Score
Problem with the trades is that it 1) takes a toll on your body and 2) those really high paying union jobs are super hard to come by. Regardless, if I have a kid who is less-than-enthused with the idea of college, I'll certainly be encouraging them to get into the trades.

Reaction Score
@Exodus O'Leary lives out my way. I don't really know him well but I've played ball with him a couple times . He's a beast on the court.
@QDOG5 Chris had a VERY solid frame in college and played bigger than his size. Was one funny SOB back in the day too. Have some great stories from his freshman year - big personality for sure. Small world!

Reaction Score
@QDOG5 , i knew the seniors on that team very well. Chris O'Leary, Zach Smith and Dwayne Stallings (great shooter and New London guy). That team was loaded with talent. Zach could have played at a much higher level if he chose to. That team accomplished great things under Glen. I didn't really know any of the underclassmen.
Did you play with Leland and Vaidas?

Reaction Score
Feels like big classes would prepare you better for the real world where people don't hold your hand
Well, you're not the big, bad world yet... so maybe it's better to be helped a little longer.

Reaction Score
Well, you're not the big, bad world yet... so maybe it's better to be helped a little longer.
It's actually more difficult to have a faculty member take interest and drive you. Sitting back in a big class seems easier to me. Less work.

HuskyHawk

Reaction Score
It's actually more difficult to have a faculty member take interest and drive you. Sitting back in a big class seems easier to me. Less work.
It very much depends on the class and the kind of student you are. I excelled in small classes and was lousy in big classes. Big classes tend to favor memorization skills in my experience. Kids who could read the book and regurgitate it. More multiple choice, less essay. Nobody wants to grade 300 essay exams.

Reaction Score
It very much depends on the class and the kind of student you are. I excelled in small classes and was lousy in big classes. Big classes tend to favor memorization skills in my experience. Kids who could read the book and regurgitate it. More multiple choice, less essay. Nobody wants to grade 300 essay exams.

No one who teaches those lectures grades 300 essays--they push it all on the TAs. But in general, I agree.

Reaction Score
Just have to ask: was that school a public school that was mostly remote all year? The public university results are about what I'd expect, except maybe UW. Out of state at top publics can be brutal. BU no surprise. Northeastern probably needing a small class this year to make up for the big class last year. Also, did she declare an expected major? As @upstater has noted, certain schools within the school need students, others are full. Declaring in the sciences may hurt your admission chances.

As was discussed in the thread I started last year, it seems like significant Merit is going to come from the next rung down private schools, like Fairfield for example. St. Joes in Philly.
Avon High School

Reaction Score
Outside of hating their basketball teams, I have been really impressed with how certain schools presented themselves - Syracuse, Georgetown and Conn were amazing. Eveyrone we met at Syracuse could listen to your kid’s interest and then reel off four year‘s worth of opportunities available. They put their best foot forward and their alumni network is very strong.

Flip side….Providence was awful. Presentations were incoherent. Everyone there was like a car salesmen on their first day of work…they kinda wanted you to pick Providence, but they were not sure why just yet.
Conn did great recruiting my daughter, it was really different in 2020 (everything was closed and still remote) and schools were just trying to get you to commit. The campus was closed and we hadn't been there so we told them no, then the assistant Dean contacted us and said he would give us a private tour. During the tour security tracked us down and almost through us out, he got a phone call from I think the Dean, and was being yelled at for doing this, but he forged on with the private tour. My daughter was so impressed she accepted the next day.

Reaction Score
More difficult in the class itself when smaller, absolutely. I'm quite sure that you're probably more likely to succeed academically in a small class, because the attention, interest, and anxiety will motivate you. All that is true. But to me the most valuable aspect of college is the transition to becoming self reliant (that and all the social stuff). In most cases it's way more important than the actual knowledge and academics (aside from the diploma itself). A big class forces you to develop the skills to self-motivate. Will you study, work, and learn if nobody is breathing down your neck? In my opinion, that's the single most important skill in the workplace. At some point you have to learn to help yourself and college seems to me the best time to do that. For a lot of people I'm sure it doesn't matter either way. And for some people they won't be able to self motivate and they'll fail. If you know you're like that, then maybe the risk is too great and should stick with small classes. But for a lot of kids in the middle of the motivation scale, at least some exposure to hands-off large class experiences is probably beneficial.

Reaction Score
More difficult in the class itself when smaller, absolutely. I'm quite sure that you're probably more likely to succeed academically in a small class, because the attention, interest, and anxiety will motivate you. All that is true. But to me the most valuable aspect of college is the transition to becoming self reliant (that and all the social stuff). In most cases it's way more important than the actual knowledge and academics (aside from the diploma itself). A big class forces you to develop the skills to self-motivate. Will you study, work, and learn if nobody is breathing down your neck? In my opinion, that's the single most important skill in the workplace. At some point you have to learn to help yourself and college seems to me the best time to do that. For a lot of people I'm sure it doesn't matter either way. And for some people they won't be able to self motivate and they'll fail. If you know you're like that, then maybe the risk is too great and should stick with small classes. But for a lot of kids in the middle of the motivation scale, at least some exposure to hands-off large class experiences is probably beneficial.
I can certainly see the benefit to this in big classes. Not every class has to be intense.

In a major, though, I'd expect professors are mentoring and providing skills to students who are willing to take on the work.

Reaction Score
I live in Middletown and I know what you mean. Wesleyan doesn't really present well. Idk how you quite put it... it doesn't really feel like a college campus.

Middletown is just odd overall though. There was gunfire a block from Eli Cannon's today. Wesleyan is as boujee as it gets and there's pretty substantial poverty in many parts once you cross Washington st.
Is this the gun fire you're talking about? Says it happened back in February. Only reason I'm asking is my wife grew up in that neighborhood and she was curious.

Doctor Hoop

Prescribing Hardwood Excellence
Reaction Score
MIT can afford to do it. Many schools won't. Northeastern is at 7% acceptance rate. Think they're ever going back? Not until USNews drops acceptance rates as a criteria.
But Northeastern will also brag about their average test score, even though it only includes the students proud of the score. I’m with Nelson, either require it or don’t, but optional is only so the school can play games with admissions and stats.

Also, definitely look for a cost effective educatio. It is really the program/major more than the school. The biggest advantage Ivies give you is the network of alumni that can advance your career.

By the way, Union is one of the top STEM schools for women. My daughter was in neuroscience.

Doctor Hoop

Prescribing Hardwood Excellence
Reaction Score
I have a niece in CT who is just going through the admissions process and I was shocked at what was happening to her. Some of the stuff here at least explains it. Straight A's in high school with a high degree of rigor (8 AP courses with 5's on all the AP tests). 1550 on her SAT. Some extracurricular and ran X-country. Here's what she got:

Northeastern: denied admission
University of Washington: denied admission
University of Virginia: denied admission
University of North Carolina-Chapel Hill: denied admission
University of Maryland: accepted, no merit aid
University of Wisconsin: accepted, no merit aid
Boston University: guaranteed transfer admittance after going somewhere else for a year
University of Connecticut: accepted, no merit aid
George Washington: accepted, $22k/year merit aid

I mean, who is getting into Northeastern if a student like this can't?
Good question. On the other hand, my youngest daughter is a senior. Her academic stats are not as good as those. Despite that she applied to 11 schools and got into 10 (including UConn) including several merit scholarships. I think it’s the program. She applied specifically into programs for speech & language pathology.

Curiouser
Reaction Score
Good question. On the other hand, my youngest daughter is a senior. Her academic stats are not as good as those. Despite that she applied to 11 schools and got into 10 (including UConn) including several merit scholarships. I think it’s the program. She applied specifically into programs for speech & language pathology.
Loyola Maryland has great undergraduate and graduate programs in speech pathology, and they are very generous with merit aid for good students.

Reaction Score
My daughter chose a small school, and knew all of her professors. She liked it. When I was at UConn in large classes… didn’t even bother going too often. Couldn’t do that in small classes.
In my 21 year journey through college, at 6 different schools, I finally realized it was up to me to get something out of some of the classes I took. Hard work fixes lots of life problems.

Fishy

Elite Premium Poster
Reaction Score
But Northeastern will also brag about their average test score, even though it only includes the students proud of the score. I’m with Nelson, either require it or don’t, but optional is only so the school can play games with admissions and stats.

Also, definitely look for a cost effective educatio. It is really the program/major more than the school. The biggest advantage Ivies give you is the network of alumni that can advance your career.

By the way, Union is one of the top STEM schools for women. My daughter was in neuroscience.

Northeastern ALWAYS gamed their stats……they force a sizable amount of their freshmen class to start their freshmen year in Greece or Ireland and those kids are not counted in the incoming freshmen statistics.

Reaction Score
Went to a very similar liberal arts college and this is my take:

- Talk to current students and alumni to identify the very best and most memorable professors. There’s many good professors at a place like CC but what makes these places unique is finding a superstar that you can learn from 24/7… If she’s into creative writing then maybe look at Kenyon, but I’m sure there’s a few that are just incredible in their field. If she’s wants to study in that field - check.

- Make sure the social scene is going to be a fit. At CC there’s going to be a lot of granola types, super woke revolutionaries from NYC, interesting international students, and preppy kids with nose candy. There’s not a lot of off campus housing so parties are small and sometimes exclusive and hard. It’s different than a free for all house party. By the time she’s a senior, kids you’ve never met will know about your marriage. Your concern about the size of the school is fair after a huge HS. You want to make sure that there’s a good fit socially.

- Try to figure out how selective internship opportunities get shared. Does the school have a group of favorites that get first crack at the coolest stuff? Do you have to network yourself to open doors? How does their alumni directory work? Do they have stipends for unpaid internships? How much emphasis is there on interning as a freshman, etc.

- How much work do you actually do on a weekly basis. My friends at Davidson worked hard all the time, every day, and my friends at Bates coasted. If she wants to go preprofessional it might be better to go somewhere with healthy grade inflation. My school used a curve for all classes in your major until 400 levels. That’s hard to stomach for someone that wants to study history and gets hit with graduate level work.

- Does she need to hold a job? Will she have a car on campus? What are the food options? How supportive and accessible is the administration? What’s the endowment like per head? If she needed , like help grant writing for a charity project, how easy is it to get that help?

All fair kinds of questions… Vassar takes a very different approach to Bowdoin so I wouldn’t buy into talk of how prestigious one school is versus another. That’s all nonsense. The schools will have many points of differentiation when you look. And they tend to attract different people.

One of my good friends went to CC… she was a WASP from Westchester who partied hard and studied art history while reading fiction for fun on her nights off. She worked for a non profit after school and then got an MBA at Yale and now she’s a ECM banker. Many of her closest friends are from CC…… and like her, they’re sensational.

you will get very close with your classmates, that’s for sure.

TMI but hope there’s a helpful nugget or two.

HuskyHawk

Reaction Score
Interesting. I’m hard of hearing and my sister in law is a speech pathologist. My daughter was somewhat Interested in the field. Northeastern has its own clinic. But I thought the lifestyle was not for her. It’s massively in demand though. Not nearly enough people.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jfreeds

Top Bottom