OT: Connecticut College | Page 9 | The Boneyard

OT: Connecticut College

BlueandOG

We are not amused.
Reaction Score
Fishy, I am in the same situation with my son. Tough year to be a high school senior going to a competitive school. He scored 1500 on SAT, was president of National Honor Society at his school, earned varsity letters in 4 sports, went to Boys' State, etc. He got rejected from almost every school he applied to. Good news for me is he is going to go to UCONN!

HuskyHawk

The triumphant return of the Blues Brothers.
Reaction Score
Congratulations to all of you. Best of luck, enjoy the ride and see you at the Dutch.

I am curious what your impression of Holy Cross was. I haven't been there since I was looking at it myself in high school, but more than a half dozen in laws have attended, including some in recent years, and all seem to be very fond of it (almost cultish, tbh).

I just started the process for the third and (in all likelihood) final time with our youngest, who is currently a high school sophomore. I am starting her early, and very gradually, because I've seen how it gets jammed and pressurized, and I'm trying to minimize the anxiety for her, especially with all the changes over the past two-plus years. We walked around PC by ourselves last year while we were in Providence and she was interested, primarily because it looked nice enough and she likes the city of Providence. I checked out the Brown campus by myself on my morning run and holy crap I think it may be the prettiest college campus I've ever seen, although not a realistic option (unless @BigErnMcCracken can pull some strings...).

In any event, we did an official information session and tour at Marist last week and she really enjoyed it, but it was her first official college visit and I know how that often goes. It was my first visit there, but Marist was in our oldest daughter's final three (my wife went with her for both the initial tour and accepted students day) so I have been curious since then, and I was impressed at their presentation when I attended the accepted students reception with her in CT. I was more impressed by the campus and facilities than I expected to be, and I continued to be impressed at their ability to sell results, which appear to have remained very favorable as compared to most. Like you described with Conn College for your daughter, I think we all like that Marist is close but not too close, and the ease of access to NYC (and Manhattan campus), as well as their Florence, Italy campus are also of interest. I am surprised at how many boxes it checks, although Poughkeepsie itself is not a draw. We'll see...
Have friends in the Old Lyme area who's oldest just graduated from Marist. He and they absolutely loved it. I tried to get my daughter to visit, but she wasn't having it. Really good on Merit from what I'm told.

Reaction Score
Congratulations to all of you. Best of luck, enjoy the ride and see you at the Dutch.

I am curious what your impression of Holy Cross was. I haven't been there since I was looking at it myself in high school, but more than a half dozen in laws have attended, including some in recent years, and all seem to be very fond of it (almost cultish, tbh).

I just started the process for the third and (in all likelihood) final time with our youngest, who is currently a high school sophomore. I am starting her early, and very gradually, because I've seen how it gets jammed and pressurized, and I'm trying to minimize the anxiety for her, especially with all the changes over the past two-plus years. We walked around PC by ourselves last year while we were in Providence and she was interested, primarily because it looked nice enough and she likes the city of Providence. I checked out the Brown campus by myself on my morning run and holy crap I think it may be the prettiest college campus I've ever seen, although not a realistic option (unless @BigErnMcCracken can pull some strings...).

In any event, we did an official information session and tour at Marist last week and she really enjoyed it, but it was her first official college visit and I know how that often goes. It was my first visit there, but Marist was in our oldest daughter's final three (my wife went with her for both the initial tour and accepted students day) so I have been curious since then, and I was impressed at their presentation when I attended the accepted students reception with her in CT. I was more impressed by the campus and facilities than I expected to be, and I continued to be impressed at their ability to sell results, which appear to have remained very favorable as compared to most. Like you described with Conn College for your daughter, I think we all like that Marist is close but not too close, and the ease of access to NYC (and Manhattan campus), as well as their Florence, Italy campus are also of interest. I am surprised at how many boxes it checks, although Poughkeepsie itself is not a draw. We'll see...
Marist is great.

Reaction Score
We went to accepted students day at Conn, Syracuse, Nova and Holy Cross; cancelled out on Union’s which is in a few days.

All the schools, save Nova, do a really nice job and seem to be genuinely enthusiastic about the kids they’ve admitted. At the end of it, though, she just loved all the people she met at Connecticut College - it’s nice to talk to the associate dean of whatever at some schools, but at Conn, she met and spoke to the president, dean of admissions, etc., etc.

She loves the people, the campus and the fact that it’s close, but not too close, so that‘s where she’s going. Her mom likes that she has grandparents and uncles relatively close by and her father likes the scholarship.

Schools that we really enjoyed - Conn, Union, Syracuse, Vermont, Georgetown. All really nice people everywhere.

Schools that we could take or leave - Binghamton, American.

Schools that we actively disliked dealing with - Villanova and Providence. I think Nova is just overwhelmed with the number of applications they are getting these days and everything is just kinda rushed. Providence is just a disorganized mess; even the normal campus visit was a dumpster fire - first school she tossed out.
Sounds like an exciting time for your kid. Very cool.

Curiouser
Reaction Score
Providence is pretty, the location is great and the school is good, but they managed to sing all the wrong notes with our kid.

I love Marist. Completely biased, but I love it. (I live at the Home Depot across the street.) We’ve had hoop season tickets there for a billion years and have been to swim meets there yearly for a decade.

The assistant swim coach there is one of my daughter’s former head coaches and his daughter swam/graduated at/from Connecticut College and is now at Penn. He was a source of info for the kid’s decision.

Beautiful little campus right on the river. Poughkeepsie is not a draw - although the restaurants on Main Street are excellent - but just south is Samuel Morse’s Locust Grove, just north is Hyde Park and the Roosevelt and Vanderbilt estates on the river. Go a little further and it’s Rhinebeck, Redhook and Hudson which are great little towns.

It’s right near the Walkway over the Hudson, about three breweries and short drive from the village of New Paltz and the Shawangunk mountains.
Good to hear about Marist, thanks. We did the Walkway over the Hudson (after grabbing a bite at Lola's) because I wanted her get a sense of how freaking massive it is. She thought it was pretty cool. We stayed in Poughkeepsie several years ago on one of our visits to Levon Helm's barn and I remember enjoying a couple good meals at a restaurant named Crew, which I see is still in business; as well as the Half Time craft beer store where I spent several hundred dollars, back when I was a hop head.

I also dig all those other cool towns nearby. I think it's a neat area to explore, and not a bad home base for four years, assuming you take advantage of the NYC access and study abroad.

Have friends in the Old Lyme area who's oldest just graduated from Marist. He and they absolutely loved it. I tried to get my daughter to visit, but she wasn't having it. Really good on Merit from what I'm told.
They are decent on merit aid, but they also start from a much lower sticker price than most. It would have ended up in the same ballpark as UConn would have been for us, which was our measuring stick then. Hoping for the same outcome this time...

Reaction Score
Fishy, I am in the same situation with my son. Tough year to be a high school senior going to a competitive school. He scored 1500 on SAT, was president of National Honor Society at his school, earned varsity letters in 4 sports, went to Boys' State, etc. He got rejected from almost every school he applied to. Good news for me is he is going to go to UCONN!

Genuine, not snarky question... how do you letter in 4 sports? There's only 3 seasons?

Reaction Score
I'm getting into this process (gulp) now. As I see it I have 18 months to sell her on the benefits of the California university system. For the people that have gone through it, or are going through it, is there a benefit to seeing these places during the summer? Or do you not get a useful sense of the school when you visit outside of the academic calendar? We had been trying to line up a few trips this summer.

Reaction Score
We went to accepted students day at Conn, Syracuse, Nova and Holy Cross; cancelled out on Union’s which is in a few days.

All the schools, save Nova, do a really nice job and seem to be genuinely enthusiastic about the kids they’ve admitted. At the end of it, though, she just loved all the people she met at Connecticut College - it’s nice to talk to the associate dean of whatever at some schools, but at Conn, she met and spoke to the president, dean of admissions, etc., etc.

She loves the people, the campus and the fact that it’s close, but not too close, so that‘s where she’s going. Her mom likes that she has grandparents and uncles relatively close by and her father likes the scholarship.

Schools that we really enjoyed - Conn, Union, Syracuse, Vermont, Georgetown. All really nice people everywhere.

Schools that we actively disliked dealing with - Villanova and Providence. I think Nova is just overwhelmed with the number of applications they are getting these days and everything is just kinda rushed. Providence is just a disorganized mess; even the normal campus visit was a dumpster fire - first school she tossed out.
Congratulations. She will be happy there and have a great experience. I'm sure you and your daughter are glad it's over. I know my sons and I felt that way. I'm glad I don't have to do it again. As you said in another post, the college search and application process is a grind. Wasn't anything like that when we were kids.

Is she going to swim there? It's D3 so even if she wasn't recruited there she could still walk (or is it swim?) on.

Reaction Score
Genuine, not snarky question... how do you letter in 4 sports? There's only 3 seasons?
Swap out a letter in one sport for a letter in another?

For example, instead of playing lacrosse as a Sr (after playing varsity as a Jr.), switch to track and field as a senior.

Reaction Score
I'm getting into this process (gulp) now. As I see it I have 18 months to sell her on the benefits of the California university system. For the people that have gone through it, or are going through it, is there a benefit to seeing these places during the summer? Or do you not get a useful sense of the school when you visit outside of the academic calendar? We had been trying to line up a few trips this summer.
After being on a million college tours, I would say it's more beneficial to go during the school year when everyone is around. Just much better to experience the complete vibe of the campus. Go to the dining halls and start talking to random students and ask questions, sit in on a class, talk to professors, etc. Could always do the initial tours during the summer and then narrow it down to schools she likes and go when school is in session. It's always good to see big schools, small schools, rural schools, urban schools and get a feel for what she likes.

The California university system is probably the best one in the country. Great schools. Unfortunately that is attracting so many applicants. I think UCLA had 150,000 applications this year, which is insane. How could they possibly spend any time on those applications?

arch

Reaction Score

Congrats Fishy.
Believe it or not there is one more huge challenge for Dad. Trying not to let the wife see the tears rolling down your face as you drive home after dropping off the light of your life at her new college home.

Reaction Score
earned varsity letters in 4 sports

For example, instead of playing lacrosse as a Sr (after playing varsity as a Jr.), switch to track and field as a senior.
highschool athletics are only worth mentioning in the last line on your resume to demonstrate you are "well rounded" unless you are being recruited to play one of the sports. I might as well have spent my time playing 4 square and dodgeball instead of lettering in 3.

Reaction Score
I'm so out of touch with college process today but 1500 used to be a great score, no clue if still is ... so how can that be possible? Was he applying to Oxford, naval academy and West Point etc?

CL82

NCAA Men’s Basketball National Champions - Again!
Reaction Score
Providence is pretty, the location is great and the school is good, but they managed to sing all the wrong notes with our kid.
For what it’s worth, that was my daughters experience at UConn. She knows the campus because we’ve been there often and had ties to the school through her inherited Husky fandom but the tour was entirely “meh”. Rutgers, on the other hand, represents itself surprisingly poorly. A lot of that has to do with the fact that it’s really four or five different campuses combined and lacks the impressive features of a more unified campus.

As a rule of thumb, I found the privates do a much better job presenting their campus, what the students experience will be, and just overall being welcoming. I suppose that’s because they need to be. In any event it worked out for my kids as I am sure it will for your daughter as well.

Dove

Part of the 2%, but 100% wood.
Reaction Score

Congratulations. I am weeping right now for Little Fishy. I can't focus on work right now.

Reaction Score

I'm dumb. lol. Thank you.

Reaction Score

Your kid would be crazy not to go to one of the UC or CSU schools if they can get in. They're fantastic. I doubt money is tight if you're sitting in floor seats at MSG, but the community colleges in Cali are also stellar and guarantee admissions to a bunch of the CS schools.

Curiouser
Reaction Score
For what it’s worth, that was my daughters experience at UConn. She knows the campus because we’ve been there often and had ties to the school through her inherited Husky fandom but the tour was entirely “meh”. Rutgers, on the other hand, represents itself surprisingly poorly. A lot of that has to do with the fact that it’s really four or five different campuses combined and lacks the impressive features of a more unified campus.

As a rule of thumb, I found the privates do a much better job presenting their campus, what the students experience will be, and just overall being welcoming. I suppose that’s because they need to be. In any event it worked out for my kids as I am sure it will for your daughter as well.
I purposely didn't do the UConn visit with our oldest because I wanted her to experience it free from my influence. She and my wife did the accepted student visit and were both pretty impressed with the presentations and campus, etc. It was another of her final three.

They also really liked UMD.

Reaction Score
I purposely didn't do the UConn visit with our oldest because I wanted her to experience it free from my influence. She and my wife did the accepted student visit and were both pretty impressed with the presentations and campus, etc. It was another of her final three.

They also really liked UMD.

Seems like SO MANY kids choose between UMD and UConn that I have done admissions stuff with. It's uncanny.

Reaction Score
The wife and I both graduated from UCONN. We enjoyed it and we are avid fans. Raised 3 sons in a small town. School district K-12 600-700 kids. We thought a smaller college experience would better fit their personalities. The college selection and application process was arduous to say the least. The boys were excellent students and specialized in swimming, track, and golf. They applied to highly competitive schools and having hook was critical. Most DIII schools offer a range of sports but if they play football, basketball, and baseball they had better be stars or the hook doesn't work. Swimming worked for them. We visited 28 colleges between the 3 of them. Tortious! Let them decide. They ended up at Williams, Bowdoin, and Davidson.

One other insight. Pay NO attention to the sticker price. Look for schools with substantial endowments. They will give kids substantial discounts if they have the funds. We felt like we were campaigning dogs during the entire process. We were SO glad when we were done.

Good luck!

Reaction Score
The boys were excellent students and specialized in swimming, track, and golf.

This isn't specialization, lol.

Bless your heart for going on 28 college visits. I went on 3 as a high school junior and hated every second of it.

Reaction Score
Wow... startling.

I can only think of one explanation, and that's testing optionals getting a huge number of seats.

Reaction Score
I'm so out of touch with college process today but 1500 used to be a great score, no clue if still is ... so how can that be possible? Was he applying to Oxford, naval academy and West Point etc?
It's the equivalent of a 1400 from before the new scoring system installed 20 years ago.

1400 was Ivy level back then, but the schools haven't opened more seats despite the rise in population.

Reaction Score
Go during the school year. When I spent a week on Cal San Diego's campus, I thought it was the most fantastic campus I'd ever seen. Loved it. But all the students walking around in that beautiful sunshine were sullen. Student bodies have their own vibe despite some beautiful surroundings.

Reaction Score

Congratulations to your daughter.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Ranon

Top Bottom