OT - Burger Thread | Page 2 | The Boneyard

OT - Burger Thread

Status
Not open for further replies.

Curiouser
Reaction Score
for ones that are available in CT, I would have to go with Burger Beast in Clinton.
Interesting. We pass that by all the time en route to Haywire in Westbrook for burgers. We thought about checking out Burger Beast once it opened just to compare, but I read some pretty bad reviews on-line. What have you had there that you liked? If you've been to Haywire, I'd be interested in how you think it compares.

I don't get the Plan B love. Been to the one in Milford, meh.
The thing I like about Plan B is the quality of the meat. I've been to the one in Glastonbury and the one in Milford and had a very good burger each time that was cooked how I liked it. I think their menu of burger combinations could be more tasty and creative, but the special burger (not sure if it changes by day, or less frequently) has been good and different the few times I've tried that.

For me, the quality of a burger depends on the quality of the meat, the way it is cooked and the "etc." stuff like toppings, cheese, bun and other things.

Although the quality of the meat is most important for me, excelling at that to the expense of, say, the "etc.," like Louis Lunch, keeps it from being a favorite for me. For starters, I love ketchup, so that's a big problem right there.

I also think there's a divide in general between the fast-food, greasy burger style of places like Five Guys and Shake Shack, and the more "gourmet" burger joints like Plan B, Prime 16 and Haywire. I like both styles for what they are, but I like the gourmet/less-greasy/better meat/more interesting "etc." style better.

All things considered, I think Prime 16 strikes the best balance of the things I take into consideration.

Dutch Tavern in New London has a very good, very basic burger, made by hand, with just the right amount of grease. On the small side, but very good.

joober jones

Finally Non-Fat Guy
Reaction Score
Interesting. We pass that by all the time en route to Haywire in Westbrook for burgers. We thought about checking out Burger Beast once it opened just to compare, but I read some pretty bad reviews on-line. What have you had there that you liked? If you've been to Haywire, I'd be interested in how you think it compares.

The thing I like about Plan B is the quality of the meat. I've been to the one in Glastonbury and the one in Milford and had a very good burger each time that was cooked how I liked it. I think their menu of burger combinations could be more tasty and creative, but the special burger (not sure if it changes by day, or less frequently) has been good and different the few times I've tried that.

For me, the quality of a burger depends on the quality of the meat, the way it is cooked and the "etc." stuff like toppings, cheese, bun and other things.

Although the quality of the meat is most important for me, excelling at that to the expense of, say, the "etc.," like Louis Lunch, keeps it from being a favorite for me. For starters, I love ketchup, so that's a big problem right there.

I also think there's a divide in general between the fast-food, greasy burger style of places like Five Guys and Shake Shack, and the more "gourmet" burger joints like Plan B, Prime 16 and Haywire. I like both styles for what they are, but I like the gourmet/less-greasy/better meat/more interesting "etc." style better.

All things considered, I think Prime 16 strikes the best balance of the things I take into consideration.

Dutch Tavern in New London has a very good, very basic burger, made by hand, with just the right amount of grease. On the small side, but very good.

Actually I would have to give Haywire the edge when it comes to the burgers, but Burger Beast is still pretty good. They have one burger there topped with pulled pork and bacon which is highly irresistible. They go beyond just burgers though, with some of the best Chili Georgia Hots I've ever sample.d

Reaction Score
What would you say is better, In and Out or Five Guys?

I've had quite a bit of both and I think they're really close. I feel like five guys is higher quality and more filling, but In and Out tastes better. To me In and Out burgers taste like really good fast food burgers, whereas Five guys tastes like you're eating a burger from a sit-down restaurant.

Reaction Score
I've had quite a bit of both and I think they're really close. I feel like five guys is higher quality and more filling, but In and Out tastes better. To me In and Out burgers taste like really good fast food burgers, whereas Five guys tastes like you're eating a burger from a sit-down restaurant.

David with 79 posts and 79 likes! Had to like that post just because.

ShakyTheMohel

Is it 11:11 yet?
Reaction Score
I recently was at Mohegan on business and had the pleasure of going to Bobby's Burgers. Which is Bobby Flay's place. Wow. I got the blue cheese/bacon burger crunchified (with chips on top), it was amazing. Might be the best I have ever had. In N Out is great..FG is strong. I also like Houston's burger.

But...Bobby Flay's was the best I have had.

Reaction Score
I could believe this. Tried a couple times to go when was there and always jammed. Great choices all around at Mohegan.

I recently was at Mohegan on business and had the pleasure of going to Bobby's Burgers. Which is Bobby Flay's place. Wow. I got the blue cheese/bacon burger crunchified (with chips on top), it was amazing. Might be the best I have ever had. In N Out is great..FG is strong. I also like Houston's burger.

Chin Diesel

Power of Love
Reaction Score
Anyone know anything about Hamburger Hamlet?
I'm heading to Crystal City, Va and there's one near by where I'm staying.

Reaction Score
Prime 16 in New Haven is pretty much the best ever. Their lamb burger is... oh man.

Also a pretty big fan of Plan B and 5 Guys, but Prime is better, imo.

Reaction Score

I tried a recently opened Bobby Flay's Burger Palace outside Boston and I thought it was better than 5 guys. Fries may be better than 5 Guys and there are more burger choices available. It's become my local favorite.

Curiouser
Reaction Score
At Mau's suggestion I tried the new Luxe Burger Bar in Springfield yesterday. Decent taps, decent food. Fried calamari app was below average and Buffalo wings were average. Fries were good (sweet potato, regular and tater tots).

Two of us got burgers, both getting their signature "Hereford Gold Label" burger as the base. It tasted okay, but too lean and crumbly imo. Probably should have gone with the Wagyu, but figured we would try the burger the joint chose as their standard in order to best judge the place. Topping selections and "build your own" concept was good, but the pre-designed combinations were not great.

I haven't been to the neighboring Plan B, but I've been to two others here in CT and would rate Plan B's meat as tastier imo. And I would still rate New Haven's Prime 16 best overall for my tastes.

Reaction Score
At Mau's suggestion I tried the new Luxe Burger Bar in Springfield yesterday. Decent taps, decent food. Fried calamari app was below average and Buffalo wings were average. Fries were good (sweet potato, regular and tater tots).

Two of us got burgers, both getting their signature "Hereford Gold Label" burger as the base. It tasted okay, but too lean and crumbly imo. Probably should have gone with the Wagyu, but figured we would try the burger the joint chose as their standard in order to best judge the place. Topping selections and "build your own" concept was good, but the pre-designed combinations were not great.

I haven't been to the neighboring Plan B, but I've been to two others here in CT and would rate Plan B's meat as tastier imo. And I would still rate New Haven's Prime 16 best overall for my tastes.

Hey 8893 I wished I sent you can afternoon email…….one of my sales guys I was with took a customer there for lunch yesterday and I would rate it about the same as you. I Built My Own with the Hereford also and while it was good it wasn't great. The sesame roll was not real fresh and fell apart and the medium-well was well, WELL. We had some wings to which were very good but can't speak for the beer as Diet Coke was all we could have lol…….not a bad place but would recommend PLan B in that area for now………sorry……how did your daughter do yesterday?……..oh yeah instead of fries I had the potato salad and left most of it so you can figure that out!

Reaction Score
Plan B is overrated. I tried to like it but I don't think it comes close to touching Prime 16, Catsup and Mustard, or Bobby Flay's Burger.

Now with that said...I do like Plan B's potato chip nachos and Mac N Cheese.

Reaction Score
Plan B is overrated. I tried to like it but I don't think it comes close to touching Prime 16, Catsup and Mustard, or Bobby Flay's Burger.

Now with that said...I do like Plan B's potato chip nachos and Mac N Cheese.

Bobby Flay's at Mohegan is the best. The Plan B at the hoops HOF is better than Luxe that 8893 spoke of and right down the street. Actually for the area Max's Burger in East Longemeadow is the best for the greater Springfield area…….

Curiouser
Reaction Score
Hey 8893 I wished I sent you can afternoon email…….one of my sales guys I was with took a customer there for lunch yesterday and I would rate it about the same as you. I Built My Own with the Hereford also and while it was good it wasn't great. The sesame roll was not real fresh and fell apart and the medium-well was well, WELL. We had some wings to which were very good but can't speak for the beer as Diet Coke was all we could have lol…….not a bad place but would recommend PLan B in that area for now………sorry……how did your daughter do yesterday?……..oh yeah instead of fries I had the potato salad and left most of it so you can figure that out!
No worries! We were happy to try it, and the timing could not have been better for us. Plan B was mobbed with people leaving the HoF and no one was at Luxe when we got there, but it filled up while we were there so we definitely appreciated the recommendation. And my kids all loved it.

My daughter's team got beaten pretty badly in the finals, and she was pissed about it for a while. But it was a great experience for her and the team, and they won two tough games to get there.

Reaction Score
Lulu's on Hazard Ave in Enfield. I probably had the best burger I have ever had in my life there. But I also havent been to many of the other places listed here. 5 Guys makes me faster than I can eat the burger.

tykurez

For Your Health
Reaction Score
Apologies to those who enjoy it, but Prime 16 is utter garbage. Maybe they were better in their earlier days, but they just come across as wanting to be a chain now (I know they opened a second location in Orange.)

Burgers are sloppy and rushed. The rest of their stuff is just bar food. And the service there is consistently bad.

Curiouser
Reaction Score
Apologies to those who enjoy it, but Prime 16 is utter garbage. Maybe they were better in their earlier days, but they just come across as wanting to be a chain now (I know they opened a second location in Orange.)

Burgers are sloppy and rushed. The rest of their stuff is just bar food. And the service there is consistently bad.
Really couldn't disagree more. Granted, 90% of the time I am only there for the beer, but I've had a variety of burgers there since the day the opened their doors through as recently as last month and have never had anything but an excellent burger.

Their happy hour deal on beer is insanely good; and the happy hour wings and pizza deals are also very good. I think their Agave-Chipotle Wings are consistently very good.

As for service, I always sit at the bar and have never had a problem.

Reaction Score

"Utter garbage" is dramatic. I've never had a burger that wasn't great there. Where can I find burgers that aren't "utter garbage"?

Curiouser
Reaction Score
"Utter garbage" is dramatic. I've never had a burger that wasn't great there. Where can I find burgers that aren't "utter garbage"?
If I were cook at Prime 16, today's special burger would be "Udder Garbage." And it would be loaded with lots of stinky cheeses.

Reaction Score

Incorrect.

tykurez

For Your Health
Reaction Score
Really couldn't disagree more. Granted, 90% of the time I am only there for the beer, but I've had a variety of burgers there since the day the opened their doors through as recently as last month and have never had anything but an excellent burger.

Their happy hour deal on beer is insanely good; and the happy hour wings and pizza deals are also very good. I think their Agave-Chipotle Wings are consistently very good.

As for service, I always sit at the bar and have never had a problem.

I'm probably, as bear so astutely pointed out, being dramatic.

It's just that every time I've eaten there I've got my hopes up that it will be better than the last. It's marketed as this burger bar with elite meat, but it just ends up looking, feeling, and tasting like a burger from a chain.

I'm going to go have a Snickers ... I'm being a diva.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
DyNASTY#3

Top Bottom