OT - Burger Thread | Page 3 | The Boneyard

OT - Burger Thread

Status
Not open for further replies.

Hans Sprungfeld

Undecided
Reaction Score
S&S Dugout Southport, CT

Are you counting the sausage patty as a burger here?

Re Black Duck - it doesn't match the hype of its TV appearance, but more than exceeds expectations for what is essentially a 35+ year old dive bar in Westport. Best for a mixture of the any or all of the following: meeting friends on a weeknight, listening to some live music, watching a game, bar food & drink, navigating the sloping floors, and appreciating the riverside location beneath I-95.

Enjoyed lunch with my 86 year old aunt & 2 sisters last month at Max's in Longmeadow.

Guess I've been back in New Haven too long now not to have tried Prime 16 or Plan B, and was last at Louis Lunch 11, 21 and 31 years ago.

Finally, where's In & Out?

CTBasketball

Former Owner of the Pizza Thread
Reaction Score
Agree Bobby Flay's is good. But if anyone is near the NY border do yourself a favor and take a trip to Blazer's Pub. In my opinion, it is on the same level as Bobby Flay's.

Reaction Score
Plan B
Burger Fi
Five Guys
Mooyahs
White Castle (if after 3am)

Curiouser
Reaction Score
Finally, where's In & Out?
I think they are all out west, primarily in CA. We were in CA for almost three weeks last summer and we ate at two different ones. I thought it was the best of the "fast food" burger joints; better than Shake Shack and Five Guys imo. Fresh and tasty.

Curiouser
Reaction Score
Mooyahs
What's the deal with Mooyah? I've seen it advertised like crazy at a few UConn games; I think they have a promotion where you get a free small fry or something the day following a win if you show your ticket stub, but I have yet to see one of the stores.

Hans Sprungfeld

Undecided
Reaction Score
I think they are all out west, primarily in CA. We were in CA for almost three weeks last summer and we ate at two different ones. I thought it was the best of the "fast food" burger joints; better than Shake Shack and Five Guys imo. Fresh and tasty.

Probably a good time to note that in each of the OT food threads, my tastes have lined up well enough with yours where we overlap for me wish I had a combined list of the places you've recommended that I haven't visited. On a practical level, I guess that's more a compliment than a request.

Reaction Score
What's the deal with Mooyah? I've seen it advertised like crazy at a few UConn games; I think they have a promotion where you get a free small fry or something the day following a win if you show your ticket stub, but I have yet to see one of the stores.

There is one at Bishops Corner in West Hartford next to Harrys. Similar to Five Guys. Very good...

tykurez

For Your Health
Reaction Score

There's also one at Storrs Center now. Haven't had it but it seems like a Moe's but for burgers. It might even be owned by the same people who own Moe's.

TRest

Horrible
Reaction Score
There is one at Bishops Corner in West Hartford next to Harrys. Similar to Five Guys. Very good...
Similar to 5 Guys where you can get anything on it, but mine always taste like the bun overwhelms the meat.

Curiouser
Reaction Score
Probably a good time to note that in each of the OT food threads, my tastes have lined up well enough with yours where we overlap for me wish I had a combined list of the places you've recommended that I haven't visited. On a practical level, I guess that's more a compliment than a request.
Thanks...as my figure attests, I work very hard at testing out food and drink establishments!

Reaction Score
K LaMay's steamed cheeseburgers in Meriden

For fast food I love In' N Out-but I only have them when I'm in Las Vegas. So take that with a grain of salt because to me a piece of cardboard would taste great because I'm in Vegas.

Last edited:
Reaction Score
Anywhere I can be holding a cold beer and looking out at palm trees.

Reaction Score
I've had quite a bit of both and I think they're really close. I feel like five guys is higher quality and more filling, but In and Out tastes better. To me In and Out burgers taste like really good fast food burgers, whereas Five guys tastes like you're eating a burger from a sit-down restaurant.
I think that's because of the toppings you can choose.
Otherwise both their patties are supposed to be fresh, never frozen, thus about same taste.
Guess In n Out is better deal, since it's much cheaper.

Reaction Score
Anywhere I can be holding a cold beer and looking out at palm trees.

If you're ever in the Hollywood/Hallandale Beach area, there's a place called Le Tub that sits right on the intercoastal. The burgers are really good, but the service is terrible.

Reaction Score
I think that's because of the toppings you can choose.
Otherwise both their patties are supposed to be fresh, never frozen, thus about same taste.
Guess In n Out is better deal, since it's much cheaper.

In n Out is the best, 5 guys is good tho

Chin Diesel

Power of Love
Reaction Score
I am at a Five Guys in Mobile, Al right now. It's delicious.

Dove

Part of the 2%, but 100% wood.
Reaction Score
Anyone in the Wallingford area may want to try Knuckleheads on Center Street. I had the Big Kahuna Burger (I love pineapple on a beef patty) and was reeeal good. Great onion rings. The beer selection is eclectic. I did a Smuttynose Dark Brown Ale and a Blue Point Bourbon something something.

Reaction Score
I haven't been to the one in Foxwoods, but Fuddruckers has always been one of my favorites and I look forward to it when I am on vacation in Orlando or Hilton Head. I much prefer it to Five Guys, actually (although I like that too.)

Plan B and Bobby Flays are very good, but I don't quite think they live up to the hype and price tag.

And I love In and Out, would love it if they expanded out east.

Reaction Score
And I love In and Out, would love it if they expanded out east.

Won't happen for the foreseeable future. They are not about to franchise the chain. They don't allow freezers or microwaves in their restaurants. Therefore, they are limited as to the distant they can ship their meet without freezing it. Their distribution facilities are in CA and they recently opened up one in Dallas.

Reaction Score
There are things I can't make at home better than what I can order when I'm out: pizza, pasta, a lot of times steak.

Burgers happen to be one of things we can make better at home. Several other things fall into this category as well.

CAHUSKY

UConn Class of 2013
Reaction Score
If you're ever in the Hollywood/Hallandale Beach area, there's a place called Le Tub that sits right on the intercoastal. The burgers are really good, but the service is terrible.
And after you have your burger for lunch, head back into Hollywood and have Cuban food for dinner at Laura's. Love that place............

Waquoit

Mr. Positive
Reaction Score
Burger Fi

We gave Burger Fi a try the other day. Took forever (well, 25 minutes) to get our food. That's way too long for a "fast-casual" place. But I have to admit I really enjoyed it. Enough to give it another try, maybe they will have worked out the kinks.

Reaction Score
Agree Bobby Flay's is good. But if anyone is near the NY border do yourself a favor and take a trip to Blazer's Pub. In my opinion, it is on the same level as Bobby Flay's.
Found Blazers by chance and had the best burger. Heard the chef died a few years back. Blazers is kind of famous with salesmen now.
I'd rate Bobby Flays 2nd and don't really get what is special about 5 guys.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
DyNASTY#3

Top Bottom