OT: Brandon Austin suspended for season | Page 3 | The Boneyard

OT: Brandon Austin suspended for season

Status
Not open for further replies.

FfldCntyFan

Texas: Property of UConn Men's Basketball program
Reaction Score
Last I knew, PC needs an APR score of around 950, this spring, in order to be eligible for the 2015 tourney. If they don't make the tourney this year, and, are ineligible in 2015 it could be devastating for that program.

Them being ineligible for the tournament is kind of similar to Marv Throneberry being ineligible for the baseball Hall of Fame.

Additionally, it is reality that has been devastating to their program.

Reaction Score
Can't be a lot of positive vibes there because sean and J aren't visiting us…….

babysheep

Rocky
Reaction Score
Sheeeeeeeeeeeiiiiiiiiiiiiit

images

Reaction Score
We have many issues right now, but APR is not one of them. Austin is transferring in good academic standing. He was never in academic trouble, so i dont see how he drops any points. By my count, we are looking at 50 out of 50 points this year. Last year, the only dropped point I see is Sidiki Johnson.

We don't have any guards other than the one who keeps getting hurt and we might have turned Oregon into a powerhpuse with Joe Young and Brandon Austin. Other than that, everything is GREAT!!!!!

Reaction Score
We have many issues right now, but APR is not one of them. Austin is transferring in good academic standing. He was never in academic trouble, so i dont see how he drops any points. By my count, we are looking at 50 out of 50 points this year. Last year, the only dropped point I see is Sidiki Johnson.

We don't have any guards other than the one who keeps getting hurt and we might have turned Oregon into a powerhpuse with Joe Young and Brandon Austin. Other than that, everything is GREAT!!!!!

You don't have to be in academic trouble to lose APR points. You need a total GPA above 2.6 to be exempt from APR rules. Remember, you lose 1 point already because he's not returning to campus. Another point if he finishes lower than a 2.6 GPA. And, you're not exempt from the first metric unless you score higher on the latter. This is the NCAA's wonderful double counting mechanism. You can do anything under the NCAA's eyes, you can take fraud classes, you can leave early for the pros, you can score very low in classes as long as you stay at the school, you can commit crimes and be expelled, but the one thing you absolutely CANNOT do is transfer without a 2.6 GPA. If you do that, the penalty doubles.

Reaction Score
I believe his gpa was high enough to transfer without penalty. My understanding is that PC does not get a negative...they just don't get a positive. So you think they will be 50-52 or 50-51? I don't think that is the case, but even if it is, the result is still better than .950(961). Their big problem with apr was in 2010-2011....and those problems will not be a part of the next calculation.

Reaction Score
Also, Yonick, isn't the next calculation in 2016? I thought there was a 3 year grace period to get to 930?

Reaction Score
Also, Yonick, isn't the next calculation in 2016? I thought there was a 3 year grace period to get to 930?
I honestly don't know. All I remember is FriarJ having a conversation with a UConn poster, on this board, back in the spring of 2013. The gist of that conversation was PC needed around a 950, when scores are announced in the spring of '14, in order to be eligible for 2015.
Basically I was inquiring as to whether PC was going to make it, or not.

Reaction Score
No clue what J was referring to, but I am fairly certain the next calculation will be in 2016 and 930 will be the required score for the years 2013, 2014. 2015, and 2016. I could be wrong, though. The NCAA isn't exactly the easiest organization to follow. Still, even if it 2015, I don't think we'll have an issue getting to 930.

Reaction Score
I believe his gpa was high enough to transfer without penalty. My understanding is that PC does not get a negative...they just don't get a positive. So you think they will be 50-52 or 50-51? I don't think that is the case, but even if it is, the result is still better than .950(961). Their big problem with apr was in 2010-2011....and those problems will not be a part of the next calculation.

The kid's GPA for his 1 semester at PC is public knowledge???

Reaction Score

If PC is at full scholarship (13 players) then the numbers are out of 52. Each player counts for 4 points.
If he transferred with less than a 2.6 GPA, PC should be out at least 3 points for him, but theoretically they could be out 4 points since he didn't return for the spring or next fall. They need an exemption for next fall. All players are worth 4 points.

So, if every other player on the team fulfills his commitments in the next year (hard to do, to maintain a perfect score) Austin alone would dock PC for at least 3 points (which is a 942) if he has less than a 2.6 GPA. The APR is crazy that one player could get you to the brink. This is why I expect players to be expelled rather than suspended in the future. By expelling them, you maintain your APR.

Since the players committed no criminal violation, I am going to assume it was either drugs or academic violations. If it's drugs, PC's administration is draconian (PSU has been known to suspend players for a year for 2 alcohol offenses). At Syracuse, for instance, everyone just has a laugh about it. If it's academics however, a suspension makes sense these days. Players are no longer expelled for academic misadventures. nonetheless, an academic screwup would dent your GPA.

Reaction Score
Not even close, upstater, in terms of what he did. We know he was not arrested. We don't know that he is innocent. finally, he was not suspended from school. Just from playing basketball games. He was invited back for second semester as a scholarship athlete.

That calculation makes no sense at all. How can a player count for 2 points at one school during a semester where he is attending another school? If Austin is at Oregon and is attaining requirements there as a scholarship athlete, doesn't he count for 2 points for Oregon? Yet at the same time, he is losing points for PC?

When Sidiki Johnson left Arizona, he didn't cost them during the spring semester. I doubt Austin costs us the 2 points next semester as long as he transfers with the minimum 2.6. So is Eric Murphy costing Duke 3 points?

Reaction Score
Not even close, upstater, in terms of what he did. We know he was not arrested. We don't know that he is innocent. finally, he was not suspended from school. Just from playing basketball games. He was invited back for second semester as a scholarship athlete.

That calculation makes no sense at all. How can a player count for 2 points at one school during a semester where he is attending another school? If Austin is at Oregon and is attaining requirements there as a scholarship athlete, doesn't he count for 2 points for Oregon? Yet at the same time, he is losing points for PC?

When Sidiki Johnson left Arizona, he didn't cost them during the spring semester. I doubt Austin costs us the 2 points next semester as long as he transfers with the minimum 2.6. So is Eric Murphy costing Duke 3 points?

Welcome to the NCAA's line of thinking.

caw

Reaction Score

I'm pretty sure the waiver would be granted for those two points in regards to the second semester.

Reaction Score

That's how the calculation is made. It's per scholarship per year broken down by semester.

How do you get to 52 points with 13 players?

It can't be done unless they count for 4 points.

PC will lose 1 point for each of his next 2 semesters on the good standing principle if his GPA is under 2.6. It will also lose at least 1 point for him not returning in the spring. I'll say this again: the NCAA double counts so as to credit schools like Kentucky for bogus metrics. The biggest sin is transferring with a sub 2.6 GPA.

Austin won't ding you at all if he has the minimum GPA. This is what I am saying.

As for what he did, you're implying he may have done something criminal? And it wasn't reported to the police? Huh?

Reaction Score
Caw, that's why I am assuming 50-50....maybe 49-50?

Only thing I know is I was able to figure out the 925 in 2011 for PC...but there were no mid season tra savers back then.

caw

Reaction Score
No clue what J was referring to, but I am fairly certain the next calculation will be in 2016 and 930 will be the required score for the years 2013, 2014. 2015, and 2016. I could be wrong, though. The NCAA isn't exactly the easiest organization to follow. Still, even if it 2015, I don't think we'll have an issue getting to 930.

Yes and no

Yes the next change is in 2016 when it makes it 4 year score over 930.

No because this year it's 930 over fours years or 940 over two.

Also, APR is a year behind. So Austin is inconsequential for this years score (already released) and next years score. He won't factor in until 15-16 NCAAT.

Reaction Score
I'm pretty sure the waiver would be granted for those two points in regards to the second semester.

It would only be granted if he's above 2.6 GPA. If not, then there is no waiver for the returning to school rule. It's a 3 point ding. 2 for good standing and 1 for not returning to school.

Reaction Score
That's how the calculation is made. It's per scholarship per year broken down by semester.

How do you get to 52 points with 13 players?

It can't be done unless they count for 4 points.

PC will lose 1 point for each of his next 2 semesters on the good standing principle if his GPA is under 2.6. It will also lose at least 1 point for him not returning in the spring. I'll say this again: the NCAA double counts so as to credit schools like Kentucky for bogus metrics. The biggest sin is transferring with a sub 2.6 GPA.

Austin won't ding you at all if he has the minimum GPA. This is what I am saying.

As for what he did, you're implying he may have done something criminal? And it wasn't reported to the police? Huh?

Certain things don't get reported to the police when the alleged victim doesn't want the police to be involved. Think you can figure out the rest.

Reaction Score
Like I said, Sidiki Johnson only counted for 2 points in the year he left Zona. So like I said, by my numbers, assuming the academics are above the level, PC goes 50-50 this year or maybe 49-50.

Reaction Score
Certain things don't get reported to the police when the alleged victim doesn't want the police to be involved. Think you can figure out the rest.

That would be a huge violation of federal law. These things must be reported to police no matter what the victim wants. It's then the police's discretion as to what to do with the case. But the university is compelled by federal law to report, or it risks 7 figure federal fines.

Reaction Score
Like I said, Sidiki Johnson only counted for 2 points in the year he left Zona. So like I said, by my numbers, assuming the academics are above the level, PC goes 50-50 this year or maybe 49-50.

Yes, right, this is what I've been saying. If academics are fine, then he is exempt. I wrote repeatedly that he needed to be above a 2.6 GPA for that exemption to kick in. If he's not above 2.6 GPA, then PC can be docked up to 4 points.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Kemba123#

Top Bottom