OT: Best Movie Franchise of All Time | Page 5 | The Boneyard

OT: Best Movie Franchise of All Time

Status
Not open for further replies.
Reaction Score
His point was that this was before (many of ) their primes. Like Harrison Ford in Star Wars.

I'm not into the rest of his argument, but whatever.
It was the first major role for Pacino and probably his greatest performance. De Niro, Caan, Duvall, Pacino, and sadly Cazale all were in their primes in the 70's. It makes it even more impressive that Coppolla pretty much discovered Pacino and also had the sense to know the others were perfect for the roles they inhabited. The casts were so damn good I sometimes forget Marlon Brando played the Godfather. For some reason Husky25 is hung up on actor salaries as if it has anything to do with greatest cast and best acting performances.

CL82

NCAA Men’s Basketball National Champions - Again!
Reaction Score
Although if Happy Gilmore wants to come back onto the senior tour to perhaps raise money to put his illegitimate children thru college that would be interesting to qualify onto the list

Genius. Write up a script, fly to LA and launch your career.

JWILLDADDY101

Sailor2013
Reaction Score
Lord of the Rings series was fabulous. The Return of the King is my favorite all time movie. The Hobbit series does not count. It had many things that were never in the book. Too many changes.

temery

What?
Reaction Score
Although if Happy Gilmore wants to come back onto the senior tour to perhaps raise money to put his illegitimate children thru college that would be interesting to qualify onto the list

... And then it turns out the kid is Bob Barker's.

Reaction Score
Lord of the Rings doesn't have the Hollywood cache of a Brando (my wife would blast me for putting anyone against Brando) or Pacino (almost wrote Pitino), but actors like Ian Holm and Ian McClellan are super talented/respected theater actors. Throw in some other solid actors- Rudy, Christopher Lee, Elijah Wood, and so on and you have a pretty amazing cast.

But the real clincher is Cate Blanchett - she's about as perfect as you can get any way you dice it.

Reaction Score
To me, a movie franchise is where they can keep spitting out new movies - think Fast & Furious. GF (1&2,at least) & LOTR are great, but the story is over... They both have ended after two... Not the same thing as best movies with a sequel, IMHO.

intlzncster

i fart in your general direction
Reaction Score
Lord of the Rings doesn't have the Hollywood cache of a Brando (my wife would blast me for putting anyone against Brando) or Pacino (almost wrote Pitino), but actors like Ian Holm and Ian McClellan are super talented/respected theater actors. Throw in some other solid actors- Rudy, Christopher Lee, Elijah Wood, and so on and you have a pretty amazing cast.

You missed my favorites: Hugo Weaving, Sean Bean, and John-Rhys-Davies. Glad you left out Orlando Bloom (though he grudgingly makes for a great Legolas). The casting for LOR was damn near perfect.

I'm guessing the wife prefers badboy Streetcar Named Desire Brando vs fat bald Apocalypse Now Brando.

Reaction Score
Even better version of all the cool little details in B2TF

http://www.denofgeek.us/movies/back...uture-trilogy-88-things-you-might-have-missed

I skimmed much of this thread so if its discussed already, my apologies, but in reading over this list of things from back to the future, I'm looking at #42, the USA today paper in the future and all of the little headline gags they threw in, but one of them was unmentioned by the article. In the top left corner of the paper is the headline "slamball playoffs begin"

How has that little prediction they got right (kind of, slamball has now faded into obscurity... but it was going strong for a year or two) falling by the wayside while everyone blabbers on about the cubs and jaws 19?

OkaForPrez

Really Popular Poster
Reaction Score
I skimmed much of this thread so if its discussed already, my apologies, but in reading over this list of things from back to the future, I'm looking at #42, the USA today paper in the future and all of the little headline gags they threw in, but one of them was unmentioned by the article. In the top left corner of the paper is the headline "slamball playoffs begin"

How has that little prediction they got right (kind of, slamball has now faded into obscurity... but it was going strong for a year or two) falling by the wayside while everyone blabbers on about the cubs and jaws 19?

Reaction Score
in honor of Halloween I'd have to put up the Evil Dead, Halloween and Friday the 13th series. First Blood/Rambo movies up there as well.

Dove

Part of the 2%
Reaction Score
Good call on Evil Dead, Evil Dead II and Army of Darkness. Great stuff.

Reaction Score
You missed my favorites: Hugo Weaving, Sean Bean, and John-Rhys-Davies. Glad you left out Orlando Bloom (though he grudgingly makes for a great Legolas). The casting for LOR was damn near perfect.

I'm guessing the wife prefers badboy Streetcar Named Desire Brando vs fat bald Apocalypse Now Brando.

Just a few weeks ago:

So, we don't have cable. Didn't have channels either- just a tv for our dvd player.

Anyway, I was at my in-laws picking up my daughter and they were watching KQED. There was a promo for a Marlon Brando double feature for the following night (Wild One and On the Waterfront). When I got home, I told my wife about it and she said, "Tomorrow we're going to buy rabbit ears or an antenna or something." She was very decisive. Just like that, because of Brando, we were going to have TV channels!

So, the following day we went to the store, bought the antenna, and set it up right away. We did a little dance and got ready for a Saturday of TV.

As she was making dinner, I found the US vs Mexico game on Univision. After we ate, I had to convince her of the importance of this game and explained we could stream or buy those Brando movies. She was definitely disappointed, but she relented. Anyway, the US lost, she then came in to tell me she was mad at me.

Maybe too much information, but I shouldn't mess with her Brando thing again. Very bad mojo.

Reaction Score
not yet mentioned:

-The Thin Man series (Nick Charles's mustache is the GOAT. Also, heavy emphasis throughout the series on the three pillars upon which I have built my own life: (i) whimsical abuse of alcohol; (ii) solving crime as a hobby; (iii) tuxedos. Song of the Thin Man is somewhat weak but much shorter than any Lord of the Rings movie)
-the Antoine Doinel series (a lot of people are kicking themselves for not mentioning these. Bed and Board was not great but still better than any of the Oceans 11 movies, which, come on)
-Faces of Death (caveat: I'm not sure whether the movies in this series contain different content or are just the same content presented in different order (I strongly suspect the latter), but if you mix grain alcohol with mountain dew and watch these as they were intended to be viewed by the auteur(s?), you will not walk away disappointed or at all)
-Matrix (I did not like these, but they are much loved by the types of people who I imagine enjoy posting lists of movies that they like on internet message boards, so throwing it out there for some bozo to expound on so I can respond by saying "How dare you compare Keanu Reeves with Marlon DePacino, you uncultured bozo" or whatever)
-Rocky (all great, except the boring first one where [spoiler alert] he loses and the one where he goes back to Vietnam)
-man with no name (I literally got punched in the face for coming back from Blockbusters with For a Few Dollars More circa 1988, so I may be overrating these movies out of wounded ego. Sorry, they were all out of A Fish Called Wanda, you big jerk)

intlzncster

i fart in your general direction
Reaction Score
not yet mentioned:
-Rocky (all great, except the boring first one where [spoiler alert] he loses and the one where he goes back to Vietnam)

This reminds me.....The Rambo Movies!! Classic series that gets worse and worse as you go along. Good stuff.

Reaction Score
... And then it turns out the kid is Bob Barker's.

Way too easy, the illegitimate child should be from Chubby's long lost daughter. Damn I'm hot now, just think of the paradoxes.

Or even the child from Chris McDonald's daughter (who Happy may have met in some Storrs CT frat party (maybe WestConn), although some literary license needed here, seeing as they were about the same age (Chris and Happy that is).

Sorry got flashbacks from Tin Cup and Don Johnson as nemisis

PS temery - just got your point - sheer genius

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members