OT: Best Movie Franchise of All Time | Page 3 | The Boneyard

OT: Best Movie Franchise of All Time

Status
Not open for further replies.
Reaction Score
Godfather 2 is my favorite movie of all-time. De Niro is amazing in it. Godfather is top 5 of all-time for me too, never bothered to see the third.

Reaction Score
Penfield said:
Indiana Jones (Never saw Crystal Skulls so it doesnt exist) has to be up there.

Oh, I did, so therefore it is not

Reaction Score
Yes, UConn has spawned quite a franchise.

I liked how the second and third introduced so many new characters and then the transition of the empire between the third and fourth was cinematic genius.

Our franchise has certainly provided an amazing story arc in its national championship runs:

Episode 1 – UConn, a heavy underdog in the final battle—despite spending most of the season ranked number 1 or 2—vanquishes an Evil Empire.

Episode 2 – A team considered to be a major contender for most of the season overcomes late-season injuries and other adversities to prevail in the end.

Episode 3 – Led by its wizened master—as well as a floor-general/warrior of the sort the universe had never seen before—the UConn soldiers turned a brutal conference season into ultimate victory.

Episode 4 – The protégé becomes the new master, when his warriors—again heavy underdogs—run X’s and O’s through the field of 68 to raise the final trophy.

Episode 5…

…This should be one very fun season...

Unlike the Star Wars franchise, there are no prequels here…

Curiouser
Reaction Score
I love the Back to the Future movies but have no intention of watching anything but baseball tonight.

And I will be very happy if October 21, 2015 passes with the Cubs no longer alive in the playoffs.

Phew. They were wrong.

Reaction Score
If you are viewing it from the perspective of a movie critic, it would probably have to be the Godfather. From a cultural impact standpoint, it would have to be Star Wars IV-VI. From a pure entertainment and epic scope perspective, Lord of the Rings or Star Wars. Interestingly, all three choices require you to ignore a significant chunk of the franchise (the brutal SW prequels/Sofia Coppola and Godfather III/the disappointing Hobbit Trilogy). If forced to vote, I'd go with Star Wars, mostly based on how I loved those movies as a kid. If I had to pick one franchise to watch right now, though, I might pick LOTR.

I'll also mention the Nolan Batman Trilogy. Very high quality films, no dip in quality, great acting, great story, great action. In many ways launched the superhero resurgence in recent years. The standard for all superhero flicks, IMO.

CL82

NCAA Men’s Basketball National Champions - Again!
Reaction Score
Chances are you live in your parent's basement if you're a Lord of the Rings fan, CL82. Look in some of those old boxes, find your Dad's VHS Godfather trilogy and watch it.

:p
I could do worse, my folks basement is pretty nice.;)

The first Godfather is one of the best movies of all time, I'd put just behind Casablanca, but that wasn't the deal, it was best film franchise with one of the ranking elements being consistency across the franchise. So one bad film knocks out an otherwise.

Godf3Mary.jpg

Next.

The Lord of the Rings had the advantage of having all three movies shot at the same time. There aren't internal inconsistencies or different directors with different "visions." Under this criteria, it wins.

Reaction Score
If you are viewing it from the perspective of a movie critic, it would probably have to be the Godfather. From a cultural impact standpoint, it would have to be Star Wars IV-VI. From a pure entertainment and epic scope perspective, Lord of the Rings or Star Wars. Interestingly, all three choices require you to ignore a significant chunk of the franchise (the brutal SW prequels/Sofia Coppola and Godfather III/the disappointing Hobbit Trilogy). If forced to vote, I'd go with Star Wars, mostly based on how I loved those movies as a kid. If I had to pick one franchise to watch right now, though, I might pick LOTR.

I'll also mention the Nolan Batman Trilogy. Very high quality films, no dip in quality, great acting, great story, great action. In many ways launched the superhero resurgence in recent years. The standard for all superhero flicks, IMO.

You watched TDKR, right?

intlzncster

i fart in your general direction
Reaction Score

Yeah,but why can you separate the newer Batman movies from the old ones? Not because they are diff directors...

intlzncster

Reaction Score
I could do worse, my folks basement is pretty nice.;)

The first Godfather is one of the best movies of all time, I'd put just behind Casablanca, but that wasn't the deal, it was best film franchise with one of the ranking elements being consistency across the franchise. So one bad film knocks out an otherwise.

The Lord of the Rings had the advantage of having all three movies shot at the same time. There aren't internal inconsistencies or different directors with different "visions." Under this criteria, it wins.

Have to include the Hobbit (prequel). Every franchise has it's duds. Comes with the whole 'make money off the previous success' thing. Eventually you fail.

David 76

Forty years a fan
Reaction Score
Look at a list of the American Film Institute's best movies (or any other serious list), and the First 2 Godfather movies destroy anything else mentioned above. The third wasn't up to par, but the first 2 are better than everything else mentioned (except, of course, the non-franchised Casablanca).
Look at the cast! Brando, Pacino, DeNiro, Duval,Diane Keaton vs Micheal J Fox, Christoper Lloyd, Leah Thompson or Ford, Hamil and Fisher or any of the other casts? The only cast that approaches the Godfather would be the adults in Harry Potter.

BTTF and Star Wars are great fun. But it is like comparing the Backstreet boys to the Beatles

CL82

NCAA Men’s Basketball National Champions - Again!
Reaction Score
Have to include the Hobbit (prequel). Every franchise has it's duds. Comes with the whole 'make money off the previous success' thing. Eventually you fail.
If you do, then I agree that LOR is out. The Hobbit is a very different different book than any of the LOR books, but for the movie they wanted to make LOR lite, adding in a lot material very loosely based on various Tolkien sources. It didn't work.

The Hobbit should have been no more than two movies and even that is a stretch. A good a job as Peter Jackson did with the LOR, and I have some quibbles there as well but overall they are well done, I think Chris Columbus (the director of the 1st two Harry Potter movies) would have done a better job. It is a funny story about an accidental hero, not the epic quest, war narrative like LOR.

JMO, though.

Reaction Score
In all seriousness, my favorite series is 100% the nolan batman movies. All three are pure gold IMO

intlzncster

Reaction Score
BTTF and Star Wars are great fun. But it is like comparing the Backstreet boys to the Beatles

That's way too much hyperbole. A good way to judge how good a series is or how much staying power it has and how rewatcheable it is. 538 did a recent article on just that. Based on 4,362 entries from 1,169 respondents.

Star Wars came in at number 1. LOR at 4. Godfather at 6. Harry Potter at 9.

The list included singular movies as well, which explains the gaps.

Reaction Score
Only one poster mentioned the Bourne Trilogy and I have to agree, that is one fantastic series. I'm hopeful Matt Damon comes back and have heard rumors that he will, to add to the original three. It may not be the very, very best franchise but it's totally superb and deserves recognition.

Reaction Score
Only one poster mentioned the Bourne Trilogy and I have to agree, that is one fantastic series. I'm hopeful Matt Damon comes back and have heard rumors that he will, to add to the original three. It may not be the very, very best franchise but it's totally superb and deserves recognition.

The Matt Damon Bourne movies are super rewatchable and consistent. My favorite is almost always the one I've seen the most recently (so right now it's Identity).

IMind

Wildly Inaccurate
Reaction Score

The thing that kills me about the Hobbit prequel is that they didn't have to make it so absurd. The material is there... they left out things that would have been fun.. just to include the gawd awful connection to the LOTR and the mildly romantic drivel. No where near as skillfully handled as the LOTR.

IMind

Wildly Inaccurate
Reaction Score
Look at a list of the American Film Institute's best movies (or any other serious list), and the First 2 Godfather movies destroy anything else mentioned above. The third wasn't up to par, but the first 2 are better than everything else mentioned (except, of course, the non-franchised Casablanca).
Look at the cast! Brando, Pacino, DeNiro, Duval,Diane Keaton vs Micheal J Fox, Christoper Lloyd, Leah Thompson or Ford, Hamil and Fisher or any of the other casts? The only cast that approaches the Godfather would be the adults in Harry Potter.

You're skimping on Star Wars... you're leaving out Sir Alec Guinness, Peter Cushing, and James Earl Jones. Star Wars actually has a pretty outstanding cast all things considered. It's more like comparing Led Zeppelin to the Beatles. :p

PLUS Billy Dee Williams.... come on. :cool:

IMind

Wildly Inaccurate
Reaction Score
The Matt Damon Bourne movies are super rewatchable and consistent. My favorite is almost always the one I've seen the most recently (so right now it's Identity).

I love the Bourne movies and along those lines I love the Transporter (Crank also) movies and the Taken series.

intlzncster

Reaction Score
You're skimping on Star Wars... you're leaving out Sir Alec Guinness, Peter Cushing, and James Earl Jones. Star Wars actually has a pretty outstanding cast all things considered. It's more like comparing Led Zeppelin to the Beatles. :p

Good call. I was trying to think of a good comparison, but didn't seem to have one nailed. I was going to go with the Rolling Stones, but for some reason, it didn't seem right.

For the record, I'd take Led Zep or the Stones 100 times out of 100.

Reaction Score
That's way too much hyperbole. A good way to judge how good a series is or how much staying power it has and how rewatcheable it is. 538 did a recent article on just that. Based on 4,362 entries from 1,169 respondents.

Star Wars came in at number 1. LOR at 4. Godfather at 6. Harry Potter at 9.

The list included singular movies as well, which explains the gaps.
And people love listening to Drake and Nicki Minaj more than pretty much anybody else. The Godfather and The Godfather part II are near flawless, two of the greatest films ever made. Some of these other movies are very entertaining but they don't hold a candle to Coppola's films.

Reaction Score
In all seriousness, my favorite series is 100% the nolan batman movies. All three are pure gold IMO
Loved the first two but thought the last one was horrendous.

Reaction Score

PLUS Billy Dee Williams.... come on. :cool:
That's nice and all but no cast compares to Brando, Pacino, De Niro, Duvall, Cazale, Keaton and Caan.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
dogsdogsdog

Top Bottom