OT: Best Movie Franchise of All Time

Status
Not open for further replies.

4in16

uses the force
Reaction Score
Star Wars, James Bond and Harry Potter.

Husky25

Dink & Dunk beat the Greatest Show on Turf.
Reaction Score
That's nice and all but no cast compares to Brando, Pacino, De Niro, Duvall, Cazale, Keaton and Caan.
Wow, that's a mighty skinny limb you climbed out on.:rolleyes:

The Godfather was not so much of the All-Star cast when it was being made as it is now. A strong argument can be made that The Godfather pretty much launched the careers of Pacino, De Niro, Keaton, Cann, Cazale, and Talia Shire.

Reaction Score
Harry Potter. There's something about the 8 H.P. movies that I always watch from the time I land on it to the end and Heaven help the outside world if there is a Harry Potter weekend on ABC Family..

That "something" is Emma Watson.:eek:

Husky25

Reaction Score
That "something" is Emma Watson.:eek:
In the later movies? Could be, but the chick is about 12 years old in Sorcerer Stone and Chamber of Secrets. That statement may say more about you than it does me...;)

Reaction Score
Wow, that's a mighty skinny limb you climbed out on.:rolleyes:

The Godfather was not so much of the All-Star cast when it was being made as it is now. A strong argument can be made that The Godfather pretty much launched the careers of Pacino, De Niro, Keaton, Cann, Cazale, and Talia Shire.
Wtf kind of point are you trying to make? Those are some of the finest actors to ever grace the screen in the last 50 years.

IMind

Wildly Inaccurate
Reaction Score
Good call. I was trying to think of a good comparison, but didn't seem to have one nailed. I was going to go with the Rolling Stones, but for some reason, it didn't seem right.

For the record, I'd take Led Zep or the Stones 100 times out of 100.

I thought it was an apt analogy.... Led Zeppelin was made up of people that had had success in earlier bands, was built from the ashes of the Yardbirds, and didn't enjoy the same critical success The Beatles did.... while The Beatles were more critically acclaimed, largely considered the best rock band of all time, and came to fame in the band. I thought the Stones as well... but they're more like the Beatles than Led Zep. :)

David 76

Forty years a fan
Reaction Score
intlzncsterost: 1450798 said:
That's way too much hyperbole. A good way to judge how good a series is or how much staying power it has and how rewatcheable it is. 538 did a recent article on just that. Based on 4,362 entries from 1,169 respondents.

Star Wars came in at number 1. LOR at 4. Godfather at 6. Harry Potter at 9./QUOTE]

So you will go with 538 over AFI? What is 538? (honestly not heard of it)
AFI gathered info from 1,500 film artists, critics and historians. 538 heard from 1.169 "respondents". AFI has the Godfather as the second best film of all time. 538 has it 6th. AFI has Star Wars #13. 538 has it #1

I'd go with AFI over 538, unless you have more info.
As for me, much more likely to watch the Godfather again than any other series.. I think it is in a class by itself.

Someone mentioned my omitting James Earl Jones as acting in Star Wars. Funny, if you were joking. If you weren't, come on! Great choice for voice-over but I don't think it, or even Alec Guinness (and I admire them both) match the memorable perfomances of Brando, Pacino, DeNiro in the Godfather

intlzncster

i fart in your general direction
Reaction Score

http://fivethirtyeight.com/ is David Silver's project. Good site with interesting articles and statistics. By no means the be all end all.

AFI is fine, but they often canonize films that shouldn't be canonized (any longer) and fall victim to the over intellectualization of film. And I'm one who does enjoy cerebral films and doesn't like the Hollywood blockbuster very much. I think a number of their Top 100 American films are either garbage or don't belong on the list or underrated. Example: Blade Runner at 97 is criminal.

I also think the vast majority of film critics are full of . I'm liable to go against most critics for what I want to watch. Way to much self importance in that crowd.

And I wasn't arguing that Godfathers weren't great, but you compared Star Wars to Back Street Boys. Which was way off base. Closer to the truth: Porky's would be BSB.

Husky25

Reaction Score
Wtf kind of point are you trying to make? Those are some of the finest actors to ever grace the screen in the last 50 years.
Try some decaf...

Looking back over 40+ years of work, The Godfather had a great cast. No question about it, but other than Brando, they more or less all made scale in 1971. It's not like the movie was cast with the great thespians of the day.

Compare it to say Ocean's Eleven, which was intended to have an all-star cast with Clooney, Pitt, Damon, Gould, Garcia, Roberts, Mac, Caan, Afleck, Cheadle, and Weintraub (helped that he financed the movie). Not to mention Lenox Lewis and Vlad Klitschko.

Reaction Score
Movie Series wise

Godfather has to be the classic action/drama.

For more mainstream fast action I go with Jason Bourne, with Fast Furious being a close second.

For more cult fast action its Riddick and Blade (Underworld a bit behind)

Comedy wise the classic has to be Peter Sellers and the Pink Panthers.

I'm drawing a blank on current comedies but as preciously mentioned leaning towards Hot Tub (although I haven't seen part 2). Although if Happy Gilmore wants to come back onto the senior tour to perhaps raise money to put his illegitimate children thru college that would be interesting to qualify onto the list

Star Wars, Hobbit, Batmans there's no re-watchable factor for me.

Last edited:

jleves

Awesomeness
Reaction Score
How has nobody mentioned American Pie???

Reaction Score
Try some decaf...

Looking back over 40+ years of work, The Godfather had a great cast. No question about it, but other than Brando, they more or less all made scale in 1971. It's not like the movie was cast with the great thespians of the day.

Compare it to say Ocean's Eleven, which was intended to have an all-star cast with Clooney, Pitt, Damon, Gould, Garcia, Roberts, Mac, Caan, Afleck, Cheadle, and Weintraub (helped that he financed the movie). Not to mention Lenox Lewis and Vlad Klitschko.
Thanks but I don't drink coffee. How much the actors are paid has nothing to do with anything. You're way out of your depth, can't believe you just compared the Ocean's Eleven remake cast/acting with the Godfathers cast which had several of the greatest actors ever in their primes.

Dove

Part of the 2%
Reaction Score
Jaws was on its way to immortal franchise status. Then Jaws 2 happened...and it went 3D. :mad:

David 76

Forty years a fan
Reaction Score
Thanks but I don't drink coffee. How much the actors are paid has nothing to do with anything. You're way out of your depth, can't believe you just compared the Ocean's Eleven remake cast/acting with the Godfathers cast which had several of the greatest actors ever in their primes.

More amazing to launch the careers of DeNiro and Pacino,etc then to hire an all star cast.
And those actors gave some of the best performances of their lives. (unlike James Earl Jones and Sir Alec Guinness in Star Wars)

Look, I think Star wars and Harry Potter are special. Rocky I is a great, great movie, But the Godfather is up there with Casablanca. (Casablaca 2 was great but the third one sucked)

intlzncster

Reaction Score

His point was that this was before (many of ) their primes. Like Harrison Ford in Star Wars.

I'm not into the rest of his argument, but whatever.

Husky25

Reaction Score

An actor's compensation can say quite a bit actually. Actors in their prime get asked to play parts even though they command huge compensation. They don't have to audition. The Godfather was the vehicle for a number of great actors' breakout roles, but does not mean it was their prime. A quick turn through IMDb.com will tell you that.

Also I compared the intent of the casting between the Ocean's trilogy and The Godfather. The stage of the actors' respective careers. Their notoriety, not acting ability. The Ocean's movies were intended to be an ensemble cast. The Godfather was not.

But I'm the one out of MY depth. Sure. :rolleyes:

intlzncster

Reaction Score
No. I agree with John.

So do I, but a number of the actors hadn't even started yet. On that exact point, the other dude was correct. Pacino, Duval, Keaton etc were not in their primes at that stage. Not a matter of opinion. Just fact.

Gofather 2 didn't quite launch DeNiro's career. He already had Mean Streets and, to a lesser extent, Bang the Drum Slowly at that point.

Husky25

Reaction Score
So do I, but a number of the actors hadn't even started yet. On that exact point, the other dude was correct. Pacino, Duval, Keaton etc were not in their primes at that stage. Not a matter of opinion. Just fact.

Gofather 2 didn't quite launch DeNiro's career. He already had Mean Streets and, to a lesser extent, Bang the Drum Slowly at that point.
When did I become Voldamort?

Reaction Score
An actor's compensation can say quite a bit actually. Actors in their prime get asked to play parts even though they command huge compensation. They don't have to audition. The Godfather was the vehicle for a number of great actors' breakout roles, but does not mean it was their prime. A quick turn through IMDb.com will tell you that.

Also I compared the intent of the casting between the Ocean's trilogy and The Godfather. The stage of the actors' respective careers. Their notoriety, not acting ability. The Ocean's movies were intended to be an ensemble cast. The Godfather was not.

You are not out of your depth, but it's very hard to discern your point. Regardless of whether the actors were well known at their casting calls, the cast was comprised of amazing actors, many of them submitting peak performances. It was a ridiculous cast.

Reaction Score
You are not out of your depth, but it's very hard to discern your point. Regardless of whether the actors were well known at their casting calls, the cast was comprised of amazing actors, many of them submitting peak performances. It was a ridiculous cast.

Yeah, I'm with you. Godfather II might be the best performance of Pacino's entire career, and it was definitely De Niro's breakout role.

Reaction Score

I never said The Godfathers were intended to be an ensemble cast, I said it's the best cast of actors doing some of their best work that you will ever find. The Counselor had a big name cast who commanded huge salaries as do a bunch of garbage movies. I guess your point is actors with big names get paid a lot in Hollywood? That is quite an observation on your part.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
UChuskman

Top Bottom