OT: Best Clam Chowder in CT | Page 5 | The Boneyard

OT: Best Clam Chowder in CT

Curiouser
Reaction Score
Forgot to add, had dinner at Johnny Ad's tonight. I didn't think they were still BYOB since they sell beer now, but glad that I packed the cooler because I am happy to report that they are still BYOB.

Even happier to report that their fried seafood remains the best--yes, still better than Lenny and Joe's or Clam Castle. Their scallops in particular are unsurpassed. Lobster roll was good but definitely a notch below Lobster Landing. Chowder was still listed as RI style, but was more "Connecticut style," i.e., broth with touch of cream, than I remember. It was good but used to be better. Lenny and Joe's does this style better. And this one had too many potatoes.

But I will be back for the scallops. They are my favorite and theirs are the best.

BUConn10

Artist formerly known as BUHusky10
Reaction Score
Haven't read through the whole thread but anyone mention Maine Fish Market in Windsor Locks? Great seafood place, probably the one i've visited most in my life.

David 76

Forty years a fan
Reaction Score
I believe there is a strong correlation between those that prefer NE clam chowder and those that get their fried clams without the bellies.

shizzle787

King Shizzle DCCLXXXVII of the Cesspool
Reaction Score
So I went to Saybrook Fish House in Canton to get some NE clam chowder and I must say, it was probably the best I had ever had. It wasn't too rich or salty.

Reaction Score
Great spot in the summer

Lobster Shack in Branford. They also have the best Lobster Roll.

You can take a little boat across the Branford River to the Stony Creek Brewery for a cold one. Nothing beats it

Reaction Score
The best NE and RI chowders around are served at a restaurant in Los Angeles. Flame away, but I've heard enough confirmation from life-long New Englanders to have a feeling I'm right.

You might be right. The best I have had was served on Bainbridge Island, although can't remember if they called it New England clam chowder or just clam chowder..

Curiouser
Reaction Score
Lobster Shack in Branford. They also have the best Lobster Roll.
Press Lobster Shack CT
You can take a little boat across the Branford River to the Stony Creek Brewery for a cold one. Nothing beats it

Review in the NY Times:
https://www.nytimes.com/2014/06/22/...m-and-lobster-shacks-in-connecticut.html?_r=1
Their roll is very good; close second to Lobster Landing imo.

Good chowder, too, I agree. But based on recent sampling in the past few weeks I'm changing my top spot to the RI Clam Chowder at the Clam Castle in Madison. Their New England is also excellent if that is your preference.

Best scallops by a mile remain at Johnny Ad's though.

August_West

Universal remote, put it down on docking station.
Reaction Score
Bill's seafood is better than Lenny and Joe's as is their Clam Chowder. Different crowd but very good seafood and excellent chowder and bisques, especially the seafood one.

Love bills but their frying game isn't on par with fish tale or Jonny ads. Don't get me wrong I wouldn't kick a bills platter out of bed. Just the other two are a notch up.

Bills makes one of my favorite lobster rolls though. And they have some other really good stuff too.

Reaction Score
My last meal would be a Lenny & Joe's platter with whole bellies & crinkle fries

There is nothing remotely close to a fried New England Seafood platter

Nada

Philly cheesesteak NOPE
Deep dish NOPE
BBQ NOPE
Steaks anywhere NOPE

Love bills but their frying game isn't on par with fish tale or Jonny ads. Don't get me wrong I wouldn't kick a bills platter out of bed. Just the other two are a notch up.

Bills makes one of my favorite lobster rolls though. And they have some other really good stuff too.

Reaction Score
Rory's in Darien often wins or finishes second in Farifield County clam chowder competitions

The owners of Donahue in Madison are the original owners of Rory's (named after Patrick's son).

They brought over the same or very similar recipe for the chowder from there to Donahues

Curiouser
Reaction Score
The owners of Donahue in Madison are the original owners of Rory's (named after Patrick's son).

They brought over the same or very similar recipe for the chowder from there to Donahues
And they also own the Clam Castle, which explains that.

Reaction Score
My last meal would be a Lenny & Joe's platter with whole bellies & crinkle fries

Nada

Philly cheesesteak NOPE
Deep dish NOPE
BBQ NOPE
Steaks anywhere NOPE

Modern Apizza >>> DiNics Roast Pork >>>>>> any fried seafood everrr

Reaction Score

Nada

Philly cheesesteak NOPE
Deep dish NOPE
BBQ NOPE
Steaks anywhere NOPE
Bwahahahahahahahaha.

CL82

NCAA Men’s Basketball National Champions - Again!
Reaction Score
With fresh, Clear-Broth Clam Chowder, you taste the ocean in its unadulterated state

Um, and why exactly would I want to do that?

Reaction Score
All top 5

We make a roast pork sandwich, it's actually Tony Luke's recipe and it's the only thing i think that is a close comparison to the real thing, it's real good. The pork is the easy part, the broccoli rabe & provolone set it off

I think to make a good Italian Beef or Cheesesteak you need a slicer

No way to remotely make pizza anywhere close to others

I agree with Modern, my fav of the big 3-4 in NH

August_West

Reaction Score

Whole Bellies Specifically are a serious Jones. When you want them the craving is as powerful as any food craving Ive ever had. Whats weird about it as that once Ive had them Im satiated for a good period. Even when eating them by the end of the platter Im like "OK thats fricking awesome, ive had enough now though" and then I dont care if I have them for weeks or longer, so I dont know if frequency comes into play in rating this stuff, I could eat great Pizza or a Roast Pork at a higher frequency than whole bellies, but when a whole belly craving sets in it is a far greater craving than I get for the other stuff.

TMI im sure, but its a round about way of saying I get JSM's last meal deal.

And now that I just typed that all out, you triggered me. Im heading to johnny ads.

Reaction Score
Whole Bellies Specifically are a serious Jones. When you want them the craving is as powerful as any food craving Ive ever had. Whats weird about it as that once Ive had them Im satiated for a good period. Even when eating them by the end of the platter Im like "OK thats fricking awesome, ive had enough now though" and then I dont care if I have them for weeks or longer, so I dont know if frequency comes into play in rating this stuff, I could eat great Pizza or a Roast Pork at a higher frequency than whole bellies, but when a whole belly craving sets in it is a far greater craving than I get for the other stuff.

TMI im sure, but its a round about way of saying I get JSM's last meal deal.

And now that I just typed that all out, you triggered me. Im heading to johnny ads.
Who are you kidding, your last meal is going to be some meatstrosity from Arbys.

August_West

Reaction Score
Who are you kidding, your last meal is going to be some meatstrosity from Arbys.

It would be a "side" to something a bit better, but it would be part of it for sure.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Boatbro

Top Bottom