OT: Best Clam Chowder in CT | Page 2 | The Boneyard

OT: Best Clam Chowder in CT

Reaction Score
Yes. I used to play darts there back in the day.

Thanks for the recs. Oyster Bar in Grand Central is one of my favorite places on the planet. Every trip to NYC starts with at least a dozen oysters there. I've had their pan roast and a number of entrees, too, and all have been great. Have never had their Manhattan clam chowder. I will try it next time.

Sorry to hear about the shellfish allergy. Getting old sucks. I'm getting to a similar point with beer.

"back in the day"? How back is this?

Curiouser
Reaction Score
"back in the day"? How back is this?
Early 90s? My buddy worked at Clinton Nursery and was in a dart league there. I would visit often and play games before and after the league games. In fact, he bought me the darts that I still use today at a dart store called "Darts and Parts" that was located inside "Jigs and Rigs," the fishing and boating place in Westbrook (not sure if they are still around, either).

Reaction Score

Thanks for the recs. Oyster Bar in Grand Central is one of my favorite places on the planet. Every trip to NYC starts with at least a dozen oysters there. I've had their pan roast and a number of entrees, too, and all have been great. Have never had their Manhattan clam chowder. I will try it next time.

Sorry to hear about the shellfish allergy. Getting old sucks. I'm getting to a similar point with beer.

I am also now allergic to hops. Very mild reaction -- nothing that can't be solved with Benadryl.

Reaction Score
Early 90s? My buddy worked at Clinton Nursery and was in a dart league there. I would visit often and play games before and after the league games. In fact, he bought me the darts that I still use today at a dart store called "Darts and Parts" that was located inside "Jigs and Rigs," the fishing and boating place in Westbrook (not sure if they are still around, either).

I asked because my uncle had a package store (so did my Aunt she was the mayor of Clinton for 12 years or more) in Clinton and frequented Vicki's as a local. I'd help him when he went away with his store and ended up at Vicki's playing darts and partying with locals but this was late 70's to mid 80's. Fun town in the summer always was. Vicki's, Bills, The Library Lounge, Ichabods.....lol

Reaction Score

Grand Central Oyster Bar's Manhattan Clam Chowder is very good and a bit spicier than most I have had.

HuskyHawk

The triumphant return of the Blues Brothers.
Reaction Score
Love me some NE clam chowder but with minimal potatoes.

I go to Supreme Seafood and other tray spots. Don't need the fancy bowl and silverware, just paper container and plastic spoon.

I'm the opposite. I'm all about the potatoes. What I don't want is any visible evidence of onion, and minimal celery.

HuskyHawk

Reaction Score
To the OP and other defenders of those inferior versions of Clam Chowda:

The only reason to add cream to a chowder is if the clams are past their prime—still edible, but in need of something to cover the taste of their ever-growing funk.

The same goes for Manhattan Clam Chowder—basically just minestrone soup with the putrefying carcasses of a small handful of dead clams floating somewhere near the surface. Why would anyone add tomatoes, carrots, peas, green beans, or whatever to clam chowder? Well, to hide the taste of those putrefying carcasses.

With fresh, Clear-Broth Clam Chowder, you taste the ocean in its unadulterated state of perfection.

Yuck. Drink sea water if that's what you want. As with every food that has a RI specific variation, the RI specific clam chowder is inferior.

Curiouser
Reaction Score
I'm the opposite. I'm all about the potatoes. What I don't want is any visible evidence of onion, and minimal celery.

Yuck. Drink sea water if that's what you want. As with every food that has a RI specific variation, the RI specific clam chowder is inferior.
Please. I'm sure there is plenty of tasty corn chowder out there for you, but if you don't like clams and brine, why are you ordering clam chowder?

HuskyHawk

Reaction Score
Please. I'm sure there is plenty of tasty corn chowder out there for you, but if you don't like clams and brine, why are you ordering clam chowder?

Evidently because I like it the way almost everyone else does. Even my many friends in RI, some of which make a really great homemade chowder, make and prefer the traditional milk/cream/potatoes New England style.

Corn chowder isn't even similar.

Curiouser
Reaction Score
Evidently because I like it the way almost everyone else does. Even my many friends in RI, some of which make a really great homemade chowder, make and prefer the traditional milk/cream/potatoes New England style.

Corn chowder isn't even similar.
I'm sorry if I was unclear. I don't mean to suggest for a second that we trust the tastebuds of anyone who is actually from RI. What they have done to pizza is unspeakable enough. Let's not even mention the atrocity they call clam fritters.

But for whatever reason, the best clam chowder bears the name of that state.

HuskyHawk

Reaction Score
I'm sorry if I was unclear. I don't mean to suggest for a second that we trust the tastebuds of anyone who is actually from RI. What they have done to pizza is unspeakable enough. Let's not even mention the atrocity they call clam fritters.

But for whatever reason, the best clam chowder bears the name of that state.

And I, and many others, consider what they have done to clam chowder almost as bad (but not nearly as bad as the Manhattan version, which is an abomination).

Reaction Score
Lenny & Joe's in Madison is so great. Food always legit and the whole BYOB in back is awesome.

We used to hit up more when kids where younger and enjoy the carousel and ice cream stand.

My last meal would a fried NE Seafood platter with whole bellies from there.

Italian Beef and Philly Cheesesteak very close too

Yep. When we discussed this a few years ago I think I said it should be called Connecticut Clam Chowder. Best of both worlds.

August_West

Universal remote, put it down on docking station.
Reaction Score
Lenny & Joe's in Madison is so great. Food always legit and the whole BYOB in back is awesome.

We used to hit up more when kids where younger and enjoy the carousel and ice cream stand.

My last meal would a fried NE Seafood platter with whole bellies from there.

Italian Beef and Philly Cheesesteak very close too

Agree on the whole bellies. I lived like 3 minutes from there when my daughter was little. Was there constantly many nights just for ice cream and the carousel.

Reaction Score
I think my real affinity for Manhattan started like 10-12+ years ago

Guy I worked with was a member @ New Haven Lawn Club and we'd go for lunch 1-2x/month and they had a great Manhattan

That is a crazy nice place, great food and amenities. Not sure about it now.

Reaction Score
Clam chowder is overrated any style. Clams, like all shellfish are best on the half shell or if you're looking for something different grill, steam or fry them. If you have to put them in a soup, August is right the Rhode Island version is the best version just add a touch of cream. New England version I hit it with hot sauce and a lot of pepper. Manhattan version, I would just rather a bowl of tomato basil soup.

Curiouser
Reaction Score
I think my real affinity for Manhattan started like 10-12+ years ago

Guy I worked with was a member @ New Haven Lawn Club and we'd go for lunch 1-2x/month and they had a great Manhattan

That is a crazy nice place, great food and amenities. Not sure about it now.
I eat there regularly. Their RI Clam Chowder is textbook. Pretty much perfect in every respect. I start with a bowl every time they have it. I literally can't not get it. I have never had the Manhattan Clam. I'm not sure they've ever had it when I've been there because I honestly would not have considered it until it was pressed by a few posters here whose passion for it has made me reconsider.

Kitchen has actually improved a lot in the past few years, and nice wines by the glass, too. Lunch menu is limited but if the specials don't grab you the crab cakes and a few of the salads are reliable standbys.

I go to and have held a lot of events there and had a multi-week arbitration there a few years ago so we really got familiar with it. It's elegant but a little tired. I like the rotating art.

Reaction Score
The Manhattan clam chowder sold at Stew Leonard's is excellent.

Reaction Score

Do you just wait for that guy to post in one of the food threads so that you can try to turn your nose up toward him? All the attempted elitist bull crap from you toward him over variations of food dishes is bizarre.

Reaction Score
I'm sure it's been mentioned but I'm partial to fish tale hybrid. A RI variation with a touch of cream

Nope, to my knowledge, nobody had discussed what variation of chowder August West favors. Guess the foodie/Arby's lover gimmick hasn't gone over as well as hoped?

Reaction Score
The best NE and RI chowders around are served at a restaurant in Los Angeles. Flame away, but I've heard enough confirmation from life-long New Englanders to have a feeling I'm right.

joober jones

Finally Non-Fat Guy
Reaction Score
The best I've ever had is the RI style chowder from Old Lyme Seafood.

Reaction Score
The best NE and RI chowders around are served at a restaurant in Los Angeles. Flame away, but I've heard enough confirmation from life-long New Englanders to have a feeling I'm right.

Was it confirmation or just confir_ _ _ _ _ _?

Reaction Score
NE
RI
MANHATTAN

Saybrook Fish House in Canton serves a nice NE Clam Chowda. My cousin owns the place, so I make it a point to stop in every now and then. It never disappoints.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
WillngtnOak

Top Bottom