OT: Best Clam Chowder in CT | The Boneyard

OT: Best Clam Chowder in CT

shizzle787

King Shizzle DCCLXXXVII of the Cesspool
Reaction Score
Have at it but don't you dare mention the gross RI broth version. New England clam chowder only.

Reaction Score
Shell & Bones in New Haven has awesome chowder.

In Hartford, Take Five makes great chowder too.

Last edited:
Reaction Score
Did Shell and Bones open in Fairfield?? I only know New Haven.
Sorry I meant New Haven. Didn't mean to get your hopes up. Fantastic restaurant though.

Curiouser
Reaction Score
I far prefer RI Clam Chowder to a mug or bowl of warm cream, and I think Johnny Ad's in Old Saybrook is the best. Lenny & Joe's makes a hybrid version that is essentially RI Chowder with a touch of cream, and that's pretty good too.

As for the traditional New England style, I think Donahue's in Madison is the best I've had that I can recall. Madison Beach Hotel also has a very good one.

Reaction Score
I bet 70-80% of New Englands best chowder starts here:

http://www.blountfinefoods.com

Then each create their own "charm" from the bones ;) Good customer in RI, lots of soups, chowders and bisques alike made here.

Reaction Score
Love me some NE clam chowder but with minimal potatoes.

I go to Supreme Seafood and other tray spots. Don't need the fancy bowl and silverware, just paper container and plastic spoon.

Reaction Score
I agree, in order of preference

1) Manhattan
2 RI
3) New England

But hard to find Manhattan, so mainly make ourselves

I like Lenny & Joe's a lot since it's lighter

I far prefer RI Clam Chowder to a mug or bowl of warm cream, and I think Johnny Ad's in Old Saybrook is the best. Lenny & Joe's makes a hybrid version that is essentially RI Chowder with a touch of cream, and that's pretty good too.

As for the traditional New England style, I think Donahue's in Madison is the best I've had that I can recall. Madison Beach Hotel also has a very good one.

Reaction Score
Sorry I meant New Haven. Didn't mean to get your hopes up. Fantastic restaurant though.
Shell & Bones is the best chowder i've had in CT. great restaurant.

nomar

#1 Casual Fan™
Reaction Score
I agree, in order of preference

1) Manhattan
2 RI
3) New England

But hard to find Manhattan, so mainly make ourselves

I like Lenny & Joe's a lot since it's lighter

We order lunch from Devon & Blakely, and they usually have Manhattan Clam Chowder.

Reaction Score
To the OP and other defenders of those inferior versions of Clam Chowda:

The only reason to add cream to a chowder is if the clams are past their prime—still edible, but in need of something to cover the taste of their ever-growing funk.

The same goes for Manhattan Clam Chowder—basically just minestrone soup with the putrefying carcasses of a small handful of dead clams floating somewhere near the surface. Why would anyone add tomatoes, carrots, peas, green beans, or whatever to clam chowder? Well, to hide the taste of those putrefying carcasses.

With fresh, Clear-Broth Clam Chowder, you taste the ocean in its unadulterated state of perfection.

Hans Sprungfeld

Undecided
Reaction Score
Did Shell and Bones open in Fairfield?? I only know New Haven.
Fwiw, Shell and Bones is owned by same people who own Geronimo which is in both New Haven and Fairfield, so maybe you're onto something.
Then again, they've just gotten zoning relief toward converting a bank building into a restaurant in Westville.

Reaction Score
Shell & Bones is the best chowder i've had in CT. great restaurant.

Decent chowder. Restaurant is underwhelming.

Madison Beach Hotel has the best NE Chowder I've had in the state. The most important thing with NE chowder is that it is not too thick. I've seen chowder from reputable restaurants that sticks to your spoon when you turn it upside down. Gross.

It is known that Manhattan chowder, done well, is better.

Curiouser
Reaction Score
Decent chowder. Restaurant is underwhelming.

Madison Beach Hotel has the best NE Chowder I've had in the state. The most important thing with NE chowder is that it is not too thick. I've seen chowder from reputable restaurants that sticks to your spoon when you turn it upside down. Gross.

It is known that Manhattan chowder, done well, is better.

Have you tried Donahue's? As I noted above, I like them both--as far as New England style goes--but I think Donahue's is a touch better, a little less creamy and a little more brine.

Have never had a great Manhattan clam chowder that I can recall. Can you recommend one?

RI doesn't do many things well, but clam chowder is one of them.

Reaction Score
Have you tried Donahue's? As I noted above, I like them both--as far as New England style goes--but I think Donahue's is a touch better, a little less creamy and a little more brine.

Have never had a great Manhattan clam chowder that I can recall. Can you recommend one?

The old Vicki's? Loved that place back in the Hammonassett Days

cohenzone

Old Member
Reaction Score
Can't eat cream and in West Haven there are a lot of good RI Chowders. I like the one at Savin Rock Roasting Company (very good food, too) and I make Manhattan chowder that people seem to like.

For Shizzle, I have a good friend who lives near Boston. We golfed at a course in RI and the restaurant there had excellent RI chowder. My pal turned his nose up, like you, claiming NE Chowder is the only kind. So I tried psychology on him, suggesting that we could call the RI variety RI Soup, not chowder. It gave him an out to taste it and he loved it. I was sworn not to tell his family.

Reaction Score

Never been to Donahue's and, unfortunately, my Chowder eating days are done. In the past 15 months I seem to have developed a sensitivity to shellfish. Probably had it for a long time and ignored it but it has gotten to the point that I get close to puking whenever I eat it and feel sick for 3-4 days afterwards.

The Dock in Montauk has the best Manhattan chowder I've had. Grand Central Oyster Bar was good (going back 5 or so years on that). If you ever frequent LBI, Fred's Beach Haven Diner is also good.

nomar

#1 Casual Fan™
Reaction Score
To the OP and other defenders of those inferior versions of Clam Chowda:

The only reason to add cream to a chowder is if the clams are past their prime—still edible, but in need of something to cover the taste of their ever-growing funk.

The same goes for Manhattan Clam Chowder—basically just minestrone soup with the putrefying carcasses of a small handful of dead clams floating somewhere near the surface. Why would anyone add tomatoes, carrots, peas, green beans, or whatever to clam chowder? Well, to hide the taste of those putrefying carcasses.

With fresh, Clear-Broth Clam Chowder, you taste the ocean in its unadulterated state of perfection.

I have no idea where you're eating your Manhattan Clam Chowder, but I've had it a million times and I have yet to come across a pea, carrot or green bean. MCH is RI Clam Chowder, plus tomatoes. Minestrone?

Curiouser
Reaction Score
The old Vicki's? Loved that place back in the Hammonassett Days

Yes. I used to play darts there back in the day.

Never been to Donahue's and, unfortunately, my Chowder eating days are done. In the past 15 months I seem to have developed a sensitivity to shellfish. Probably had it for a long time and ignored it but it has gotten to the point that I get close to puking whenever I eat it and feel sick for 3-4 days afterwards.

The Dock in Montauk has the best Manhattan chowder I've had. Grand Central Oyster Bar was good (going back 5 or so years on that). If you ever frequent LBI, Fred's Beach Haven Diner is also good.

Thanks for the recs. Oyster Bar in Grand Central is one of my favorite places on the planet. Every trip to NYC starts with at least a dozen oysters there. I've had their pan roast and a number of entrees, too, and all have been great. Have never had their Manhattan clam chowder. I will try it next time.

Sorry to hear about the shellfish allergy. Getting old sucks. I'm getting to a similar point with beer.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Woody69

Top Bottom