OT: Best chili in CT | Page 4 | The Boneyard

OT: Best chili in CT

ctchamps

We are UConn!! 4>1 But 5>>>>1 is even better!
Reaction Score
But you have to kill a bear. Which means you have to find a bear. Which means the bear probably sees you. And you are completely dependent on your weapon functioning and your aim at a charging moving target.

I'll stick to deer, thanks! But I'll grant you have larger nads than I.

This is the only weapon I use in preparing a vat of chili, the deadly three foot spoon...

photo%203_zpsletgc94h.png
Nice Bear belly.

Curiouser
Reaction Score
For me, traditional Thai food for Thai people (ie not westerners). Jesus mother mary of god. One bite and I was finished. Dunno if they have any in America or not.
The Terrace in Hamden makes the best Thai food I have ever eaten in this country. The chef, who is from southern Thailand and French-trained, has her family ship her hot peppers from southern Thailand. She uses them very judiciously "for Caucasian" in the Terrace Curry and a few others, and only after they believe you can handle (and want) more heat will they turn it up. I worked my way up several levels a few years ago and I was pretty much addicted to the sensation and the incredible endorphin rush and overall feeling of well-being that would follow for a few hours, but I never conquered the several hours of painful "urgency" that would follow that. And once I laid off it for a while my tolerance went down and I was unwilling to endure the pain of building it back up again.

But to this day I have never had anything like the sensation of the heat from those peppers. And I don't think I ever even reached more than a 4 or 5 on their own internal 1-10 scale of heat.

ctchamps

We are UConn!! 4>1 But 5>>>>1 is even better!
Reaction Score
No, it's like saying I don't touch pizza with pineapple or bananas on it. Crap that simply doesn't belong there.

RichZ's Official Chili page
You sir are a maestro chili guy. Printed out a page and maybe some day will give it a go.

If you have this eye for seasoning food do you have a gift for evaluating recruits? Based on your game write-ups I'd say the answer is yeas. Maybe you could be a pair of eyes for the coaches and pm them if you spot a decent player. Just don't broadcast it in a forum.

intlzncster

i fart in your general direction
Reaction Score
The Terrace in Hamden makes the best Thai food I have ever eaten in this country. The chef, who is from southern Thailand and French-trained, has her family ship her hot peppers from southern Thailand. She uses them very judiciously "for Caucasian" in the Terrace Curry and a few others, and only after they believe you can handle (and want) more heat will they turn it up. I worked my way up several levels a few years ago and I was pretty much addicted to the sensation and the incredible endorphin rush and overall feeling of well-being that would follow for a few hours, but I never conquered the several hours of painful "urgency" that would follow that. And once I laid off it for a while my tolerance went down and I was unwilling to endure the pain of building it back up again.

But to this day I have never had anything like the sensation of the heat from those peppers. And I don't think I ever even reached more than a 4 or 5 on their own internal 1-10 scale of heat.

Awesome story; If I'm ever in the area, I'll check it out. Thanks!

intlzncster

Reaction Score

Related: was your, uh, 'urgency' painful/burning? Curious if peppers that make you go take it out on you at the other end as well.

storrsroars

Exiled in Pittsburgh
Reaction Score
Nice Bear belly.

Well earned. It's been bigger.

Related: was your, uh, 'urgency' painful/burning? Curious if peppers that make you go take it out on you at the other end as well.

As someone else who's ingested peppers north of 100K Scoville - not as hot as when they went in, but more than enough that'll you notice and regret having ingested them.

Curiouser
Reaction Score
Don't recall any number one issues, but honestly the number two issues--and the impending feeling of doom that it is coming imminently when it is not--are so uncomfortable and last for hours so they may mask any other minor sensation.

ETA: The point being, as crazy as it sounds, the high was that good that I was willing to endure that punishment.

intlzncster

Reaction Score
Don't recall any number one issues, but honestly the number two issues--and the impending feeling of doom that it is coming imminently when it is not--are so uncomfortable and last for hours so they may mask any other minor sensation.

ETA: The point being, as crazy as it sounds, the high was that good that I was willing to endure that punishment.

So essentially, it's heroin.

uconnphil2016

Head Rat
Reaction Score

Turns out they may have been taping your "urgency"

Cops: Hamden restaurant owner taped videos in women's restroom

storrsroars

Exiled in Pittsburgh
Reaction Score
So essentially, it's heroin.

Funny you imply an addiction. The pepper sensation I'm currently in love with doesn't even come from a "hot" pepper, it comes from Szechuan peppercorns, which you usually won't find in typical Americanized Chinese restaurants. It actually sort of numbs your lips, or they kinda feel like they're buzzing. It's weird.

As far as hot goes, if you're not overly familar with the really nasty peppers, here's a list. However, you can't take that list to the bank. My personal comfort level these days usually tops at 100K Scoville, but used judiciously. After that it's mostly pain, no flavor. But I got ambushed at an Ethiopian place in DC with a batch of piri piri peppers (normally in the 50-100K range, but can go up to almost 200K) used in a sauce that were clearly well north of my tolerance. Hate it when I get surprised like that.

intlzncster

Reaction Score
My personal comfort level these days usually tops at 100K Scoville, but used judiciously. After that it's mostly pain, no flavor. But I got ambushed at an Ethiopian place in DC with a batch of piri piri peppers (normally in the 50-100K range, but can go up to almost 200K) used in a sauce that were clearly well north of my tolerance. Hate it when I get surprised like that.

Pretty sure that would kill me. Like actually.

intlzncster

Reaction Score
Well aware of that situation. Without getting into the other alleged details, it was the women's room, and I was identifying according to my anatomy at that time.

And if they got video of that, well, god bless em.

shizzle787

King Shizzle DCCLXXXVII of the Cesspool
Reaction Score
It would look like that photo of Ted Cruz making campaign phone calls for Trump.
Is this the point where the thread gets moved to the cesspool?

Curiouser
Reaction Score
Is this the point where the thread gets moved to the cesspool?
It was offered without political commentary and if you know the pic none is needed. Just a visual reference.

shizzle787

Reaction Score
It was offered without political commentary and if you know the pic none is needed. Just a visual reference.
That was way too visual.

jleves

Awesomeness
Reaction Score
Funny you imply an addiction. The pepper sensation I'm currently in love with doesn't even come from a "hot" pepper, it comes from Szechuan peppercorns, which you usually won't find in typical Americanized Chinese restaurants. It actually sort of numbs your lips, or they kinda feel like they're buzzing. It's weird.

As far as hot goes, if you're not overly familar with the really nasty peppers, here's a list. However, you can't take that list to the bank. My personal comfort level these days usually tops at 100K Scoville, but used judiciously. After that it's mostly pain, no flavor. But I got ambushed at an Ethiopian place in DC with a batch of piri piri peppers (normally in the 50-100K range, but can go up to almost 200K) used in a sauce that were clearly well north of my tolerance. Hate it when I get surprised like that.
I can handle pretty hot. I work with a lot of asian people and I can usually eat anything they can and frequently a level higher. I've had some hot ramen soup in LA that probably ranges between the 50,000 to 100,000 on the scale (most likely on the lower side of that) and that's hotter than most people I know will bother with.

I won't go near a scotch bonnet or habanero - those are just too freakin hot.

Why in bloody hell (literally) did anyone decide to make a bhut jolokia (ghost pepper) or carolina reaper. Those are just ridiculous at 10 times hotter than habaneros.

Given the choice of eating a carolina reaper or having a cactus jammed up my ass, I'd have to consider for a long while before deciding.

shizzle787

Reaction Score
I can handle pretty hot. I work with a lot of asian people and I can usually eat anything they can and frequently a level higher. I've had some hot ramen soup in LA that probably ranges between the 50,000 to 100,000 on the scale (most likely on the lower side of that) and that's hotter than most people I know will bother with.

Why in bloody hell (literally) did anyone decide to make a bhut jolokia (ghost pepper) or carolina reaper. Those are just ridiculous at 10 times hotter than habaneros.

Given the choice of eating a carolina reaper or having a cactus jammed up my ass, I'd have to consider for a long while before deciding.
You shouldn't even have considered these options to begin with.

storrsroars

Exiled in Pittsburgh
Reaction Score

I'd never touch either. There was a day when maybe I could've done one small half million little guy, but this over a million Scoville stuff is absurd.

Although, I suppose in my youth, if someone called me a chicken and showed me a YT of a 12 year old eating a whole Carolina Reaper, I'd probably have to go eat one.

And I imagine that after it worked its way through my system, it would probably feel like trying to pass a cactus.

Dream Jobbed 2.0

“Most definitely”
Reaction Score
My fiancé made "chili" today. She put two chicken breasts in the crockpot with, golly, it must have been probably a vat of sodium free vegetable stock, one onion a green pepper and a can of pinto beans. Then she added FAT FREE ALMOND MILK AND COCONUT FLOUR. She was shocked when the "chili" didn't thicken up. Probably because what you added wasn't really milk and flour. It was an okay tasting soup but no one in their right mind would have called that chili.

CTMike

¯\_(ツ)_/¯
Reaction Score
My fiancé made "chili" today. She put two chicken breasts in the crockpot with, golly, it must have been probably a vat of sodium free vegetable stock, one onion a green pepper and a can of pinto beans. Then she added FAT FREE ALMOND MILK AND COCONUT FLOUR. She was shocked when the "chili" didn't thicken up. Probably because what you added wasn't really milk and flour. It was an okay tasting soup but no one in their right mind would have called that chili.
Grounds to end the relationship? :)

August_West

Universal remote, put it down on docking station.
Reaction Score

I'm in the processs of making 2 different sauces for Nashville hot chicken for a family gathering today. One with cayenne. One with ghost chiles.

It's really really hot

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Woody69

Top Bottom