OT: Best chili in CT | Page 2 | The Boneyard

OT: Best chili in CT

Reaction Score
Chili is chili so long as the dominant ingredients are beef and chili peppers. That is the only rule.

Anti-beaners are funny. Chili can have whatever you want in it so long as the two required ingredients are present. Yes, originally beans were served on the side. At some point somebody decided to combine the two (maybe he only had one pot) and figured out that it was pretty damn good, and no, it did not cease to become chili.

I'll cook it both ways, but when it has beans you can't overdo it. I use one can of red kidney beans in a pot that has 3-4 pounds of beef.

Reaction Score
I really wanna have Venison chili, haven't had it in a while.

FfldCntyFan

Texas: Property of UConn Men's Basketball program
Reaction Score
At my house.
While your chili may be good, I have little doubt that my chili is better.

I'll let any boneyarder who wants to taste test it stop by my tailgate this fall. I'll even provide a cold beer to counteract the heat of the chili.

shizzle787

King Shizzle DCCLXXXVII of the Cesspool
Reaction Score
While your chili may be good, I have little doubt that my chili is better.

I'll let any boneyarder who wants to taste test it stop by my tailgate this fall. I'll even provide a cold beer to counteract the heat of the chili.
Actually, believe it or not, beer actually makes the heat worst. The best thing to combat it is bread or milk.

RichZ

Fort the ead!
Reaction Score
I'm violating multiple taboos here, but my favorite chili is my wife's turkey chili, made in a Crock-Pot, with both beans and chickpeas, as well as corn.
That might well be your favorite stew with chilies in it, but it ain't chili.

RichZ

Fort the ead!
Reaction Score
Beans are delicious in chili. Without beans you are eating a big bowl of sloppy joes.

There is no relation between chili and sloppy joes. If whatever the hell you call chili has any resemblance to a sloppy joe, feel free to put all the legumes you want in it, 'cause it sure as hell ain't chili.

RichZ

Fort the ead!
Reaction Score
My favorite chili is actually what you find on the chili dogs at Merrit Canteen in BPT. You will sweat eating it, but very flavorful. Considering that most of their food is frozen, I doubt they make it from scratch but their purveyor, whoever it may be, has got the goods. I don't think this would be something to eat from a bowl but the chili dog is delicious.

Edit. Apparently it is homemade, and you can also find it at Mr Macs in Monroe.

Merritt Canteen's chili dogs never impressed me all that much.
FWIW, the guy who ran Merritt Canteen missed the business after he sold it, and opened Mr. Macs. But I'm pretty sure he died of a heart attack a few years ago. Still run by the same family though, (as is Mr. Mac's in Milford).

Reaction Score
There is no relation between chili and sloppy joes. If whatever the hell you call chili has any resemblance to a sloppy joe, feel free to put all the legumes you want in it, 'cause it sure as hell ain't chili.

Meh. Let me guess. You use a secret pepper. Or you put dark chocolate in it. Or coffee. Been there, done that. I'll still take mine with beans.

Reaction Score
Doesnt everyone know that every chili in every restaurant in the world is leftover stuff that didn't sell?

Reaction Score
Doesnt everyone know that every chili in every restaurant in the world is leftover stuff that didn't sell?

You may be right, but it's not necessarily a bad thing. The meat isn't spoiled and it reduces waste. Just as every time you buy ground beef from the grocery store you are purchasing unsold steaks that turned brown.

storrsroars

Exiled in Pittsburgh
Reaction Score
Can we have separate threads for true chili-pros and amateurs? Because I don't TOUCH "chili" that has beans in it, and I know you people are going to try to pull bean stew crap off as chili.

I'd never enter a bean version in a contest or any situation where true chili heads are involved. But at home, beans go in. I like the texture and the added fiber all in one pot. Yes, I can make killer versions of either, and pretty much with any meat you want.

However, I draw the line at calling that Greek patsitsio sauce Skyline serves "chili".

When I started cooking Indian food, I borrowed a technique of "frying the spices" that I incorporated into my chili recipe. Makes a huge difference in depth of flavor frying the spices (and chopped onions/garlic if using) at the start instead of adding to already browned meat.

As far as best in CT, Melfi's in Springdale had the best I've had in CT, but they went out of business in the late 80s. I've tried lots of places since then, but nothing worth going back for.

Last edited:

storrsroars

Exiled in Pittsburgh
Reaction Score
Can we ban this jabroni?

That comment might be worse than putting beans in your chili. Only thing good about that place is the bread and cinnamon butter.

;)

Seconded.

Everything served at Texas Roadhouse is pretty much a meat-flavored salt lick.

Bliss

Mizzou Ballyhoo
Reaction Score
No, it's like saying I don't touch pizza with pineapple or bananas on it. Crap that simply doesn't belong there.

RichZ's Official Chili page

That is one hell of a chili recipe. Looks like it takes all day just to put it together. I printed it, though, and may experiment with it. Thanks.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
SeaDr

Top Bottom