OT Baseball HOF hypocrisy | Page 2 | The Boneyard

OT Baseball HOF hypocrisy

Reaction Score
Sheffield should be in as well.
Not in my mind - admittedly I have higher expectations than most on this because I think the HOF has been watered down. He accumulated a lot of stats over 20+ years and had a lot of very good years (9 all stars) but never won an MVP, no gold gloves, not a big base stealer, and underperformed in the post season. He just misses in my book.

Reaction Score
It's not the "Hall of Good Dudes."

It's ridiculous that the guy who is arguably - I personally don't think it's arguable - the best player in the history of the sport is not in the Hall of Fame.

Reaction Score
There was regular testing in Ortiz’s latter years when he still dominated. Others like Manny, Cano, Braun, etc. tested positive (repeatedly). I’m not a Boston fan, but there’s no conclusive proof he was using. The same could be said for Bagwell and Piazza. It’s only speculation - and it certainly seems like they were using, but you can’t keep him out because of speculation.

Reaction Score
There was regular testing in Ortiz’s latter years when he still dominated. Others like Manny, Cano, Braun, etc. tested positive (repeatedly). I’m not a Boston fan, but there’s no conclusive proof he was using. The same could be said for Bagwell and Piazza. It’s only speculation - and it certainly seems like they were using, but you can’t keep him out because of speculation.

He tested positive in 2003. The public just weren't supposed to know about it.

Reaction Score

It's ridiculous that the guy who is arguably - I personally don't think it's arguable - the best player in the history of the sport is not in the Hall of Fame.
I get what you’re saying but integrity, character and sportsmanship are part of the criteria as set forth in the rules. Voters cast ballots based on that criteria.

Reaction Score
But they’ve admitted there were false positives then, so no way of knowing conclusively that he wasn’t among the false positives.

For the record, I don’t doubt he was juicing. Just no conclusive proof - and therefore there was no choice but to elect him.

SubbaBub

Your stupidity is ruining my country.
Reaction Score
Its simple. Big Papi used roids a little and Clemons, Bonds, Manny and others used a lot. So, Papi just made it and the others almost made it. If they each didn't get caught/admit then they would have gotten in too. And Papi was only accused becuase of a blind sampling when it wasn't illegal yet. After that, he passed ever test!!!!!

This is naive. PED were rampant in the 80's/90's. The names you know have one of three reasons yoy know. 1. The confessed, tested positive. 2. They played in New York/Boston or were otherwise connected to the Mets trainer that was the primary source in the area. 3. They were ratted out by someone in categories 1 or 2.

If you look at the list, an outsized number of players were from the Caribbean, specifically DR. The incenctive to escape extreme poverty to play made using a non-choice. Ortiz was clearly one of those guys.

Its the Lance Armstrong tell, anyone doing extraordinary physical feats against people doing PEDs, was by default also using PED's. You can decide how you feel about it, but you can't deny it.

Chin Diesel

Power of Love
Reaction Score

You can't provide any evidence of that.

It's an opinion and you are free to feel however you like but there isn't anything to back up your opinion

Reaction Score
The same could be said for Bagwell and Piazza. It’s only speculation - and it certainly seems like they were using, but you can’t keep him out because of speculation.

Sure you could keep them out. Piazza being in is also a joke. Piazza and Bagwell both shrunk like deflated balloons as soon as steroids were banned. Either let all of the steroid era guys in or keep them all out but don't turn it into a popularity contest. Bonds is the best player of his era and was a hall of fame quality player even before he used steroids. Banning Bonds is absurd.

nomar

#1 Casual Fan™
Reaction Score
Ortiz is a different story, despite his own PED suspicions. A 2009 New York Times story reported that Ortiz was among 104 players who tested positive for performance-enhancing substances during a round of tests conducted in 2003. Those results were supposed to remain confidential and were done to see if the league had reached a threshold to conduct regular testing.

Ortiz has long denied that he used banned substances, and in 2016, commissioner Rob Manfred said the tests in question were inconclusive because "it was hard to distinguish between certain substances that were legal, available over the counter, and not banned under our program."

Manfred added that during subsequent testing Ortiz "has never been a positive at any point under our program.

Innocent until proven guilty! Unless it's David Ortiz and you're a Yankees fan or Deepster.

For the record, my opinion as to known PED users is to vote based on their pre-cheating record. If Bonds and Clemens dropped dead before they started juicing, they'd have been first-ballot HOFers. They're in, perhaps with an asterisk. McGwire? Nope. Sosa? Nope.

And I think I'd vote Schilling in. There are plenty of jackasses in the HOF. What's one more?

Reaction Score
An observation - in threads like this you can really ID the Yankee fans and the Red Sox fans.

There’s no doubt about that but I can promise you there’s a lot more than Yankee fans who don’t believe he deserved to be in. Only Sox fans believe he didn’t juice the rest of the baseball fans know otherwise. You don’t go from .270/20/75 to “working out with Manny Ramirez” and suddenly becoming an amazing stat producer without doing the same thing as he was.
Why isn’t Manny in?

Reaction Score
Innocent until proven guilty!

It's not a court of law. It's opinion based voting and if a voter believes he was a user and still votes for him then the voter just decided a steroid enhanced player should get in and the precedent has been set.

Reaction Score
Shuffled belongs in Hall of Very Good For A Long Time. No MVP's, won one batting title.
Over 500 hrs, 9 time allstar. So why is Harold Baines in then. You know Jeter never won an mvp so should Kevin Mitchell get in since he won an mvp and Jeter didn’t.

Reaction Score
There’s no doubt about that but I can promise you there’s a lot more than Yankee fans who don’t believe he deserved to be in. Only Sox fans believe he didn’t juice the rest of the baseball fans know otherwise. You don’t go from .270/20/75 to “working out with Manny Ramirez” and suddenly becoming an amazing stat producer without doing the same thing as he was.
Why isn’t Manny in?
And I was really getting to like you so much this season…….

Reaction Score
I don't know if Ortiz did or didn't use. I believe he's the one who basically 'broke' the news about the 2003 test. I do remember Lou Merloni claiming the Red Sox taught their players how to correctly/safely use steroids, but this was after his last release and seemed odd that he would throw his teammates under the bus.

I know Bagwell got huge, and I am not totally naive, but he was not mentioned in any report. He is often credited as being the guy who used radical weight lifting routines and getting that trend started. Even teammates who used never said anything about him. His weight loss also happened when his body started breaking down (which could be steroid related or from his lifting routine as well) and I thought was done to try to extend his career with his bad shoulders and knees starting to go as well.

Reaction Score
An observation - in threads like this you can really ID the Yankee fans and the Red Sox fans.
I'm a Yankees fan and ARod hater. I consider Clemens, Ortiz, and Schilling Red Sox and they should all absolutely be in the Hall of Fame as should Bonds and ARod.

Reaction Score
Until Bonds gets in, the hall of fame voting is a complete joke. There are already PED users in the hall now, so that excuse is lame.

Reaction Score

Integrity is literally one of the voting criteria, they listed it off during the announcement tonight.

Reaction Score
I don't know if Ortiz did or didn't use. I believe he's the one who basically 'broke' the news about the 2003 test. I do remember Lou Merloni claiming the Red Sox taught their players how to correctly/safely use steroids, but this was after his last release and seemed odd that he would throw his teammates under the bus.

I know Bagwell got huge, and I am not totally naive, but he was not mentioned in any report. He is often credited as being the guy who used radical weight lifting routines and getting that trend started. Even teammates who used never said anything about him. His weight loss also happened when his body started breaking down (which could be steroid related or from his lifting routine as well) and I thought was done to try to extend his career with his bad shoulders and knees starting to go as well.
What we know for sure:
Bonds
Arod
Clemens
Manny
Maguire
Palmiero
Sosa
Giambi

All used. The rest is a bunch of speculation and what team you like or hate. I’m a Sox fan and I don’t even count Pettite. His body Roger screwed him over.

Reaction Score
LOL at thinking David Ortiz wasn't using steroids.
Odd thing. If Ortiz was using steroids, he got much better after he stopped using them. His stats after 2003 are the numbers that got him into the HOF. And he had multiple tests after the first (and only) failed test. He was clean for all of them.

BTW, we actually don't know if he failed the test. It was reported in the New York Times he failed a test. That report came from "a leak."

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Texasfan01

Top Bottom