OT Anthony Bourdain dead | The Boneyard

OT Anthony Bourdain dead

Reaction Score
Wow. Read his earlier books. Very interesting look at gritty nyc

Reaction Score
Huge fan of his books and shows.
May he rest in peace.

Reaction Score
There is some sort of epidemic forming with suicide. Like a switch going off in some people out of the blue. It has always been that way in that seemingly “ok” people kill themselves, but suicide rates are way up and child suicide is becoming a big problem. Presecription drugs, food additives, something in the water? Just seems something unnatural may be happening.

Marat

The Champ Is Here.
Reaction Score
There is some sort of epidemic forming with suicide. Like a switch going off in some people out of the blue. It has always been that way in that seemingly “ok” people kill themselves, but suicide rates are way up and child suicide is becoming a big problem. Presecription drugs, food additives, something in the water? Just seems something unnatural may be happening.

Really said. Earlier this week it was Kate Spade and now him. I think since Robbin Williams did it, others started to think about doing it themselves......

WaterDawg

Lurker Extraordinaire
Reaction Score
Very saddened to hear this. He was one helluva writer and brutally honest story teller. He will be missed. RIP

Reaction Score
Sad sad news, and I understand he was battling depression but I still cant wrap my head around it. I can't imagine having all the money I could dream of and choosing to breathe my last breath. I would understand rich depressed people falling into a hole of alcoholism or drugs, I just cant get that so many commit suicide

Reaction Score
Sad sad news, and I understand he was battling depression but I still cant wrap my head around it. I can't imagine having all the money I could dream of and choosing to breathe my last breath. I would understand rich depressed people falling into a hole of alcoholism or drugs, I just cant get that so many commit suicide

Well when you're rich and still depressed you think, , i thought being rich would make me happy?

Reaction Score

There's been some recent articles with riot theory regarding school shootings. I think the same may apply here.

Reaction Score
Like a switch going off in some people out of the blue. It has always been that way in that seemingly “ok” people kill themselves, but suicide rates are way up and child suicide is becoming a big problem. Presecription drugs, food additives, something in the water? Just seems something unnatural may be happening.

I don't think it's a switch at all. It's something going on inside of people all the time. But we learn to hide it. We learn not to talk about it, because you're not supposed to talk about it. Because people tell you to cheer up, to be happy for yourself, to count your blessings.

So quietly, you suffer, and you go on, every day, because you're supposed to be happy, and you're supposed to feel satisfied, and all this success is supposed to mean something, but you just feel empty and worthless inside, and you know you don't deserve it.

Depression doesn't care if you're rich or handsome or powerful or popular or surrounded by people who worship you. Why would you think it does? Does diabetes care if you're rich? Does cancer care if you have a TV show or a bestselling book?

We still don't take it seriously as a disease. We say, "How can someone with such a life be depressed," because we still think, well, they should just *choose* to be happy. As if people wouldn't choose that option if they could.

All you can do is just try to manage it. And sometimes, you lose that battle. Sometimes, the depression just wears you down, and you're so tired of feeling so sh!tty, of feeling like nothing matters, of feeling like you're worthless and unworthy of love, that you'd rather just not be alive anymore.

But please don't view it as a reflection of who these people are. It's not. It's the disease.

Get help if you can. Go to therapy. Get treatment. It can help. It's helped me.

But it doesn't help everyone. And we need to look at it honestly as a disease.

Reaction Score
Sad as can be. Nobody knows what is going thru there mind. 3 people close to me have committed suicide in the last 10 years ,never saw it coming and have tried to put some sense and thought into it and just can't come up
with anything. So sad.

Reaction Score
Wow that's crazy. RIP Anthony his show was great. I loved his trip to the Cape where he grew up working in the summer at the places, visited his friends and the owners, discussed opioid abuse. Weird to hear of this seems like everything would be great with his life, just goes to show you.

Penfield

a.k.a PencilForest
Reaction Score
It was amazing how he used food and drink to show us all how similar we really are. Whether you are from Hong Kong or Hartford, you can find commonality with almost anyone if you take the time to have a meal with them and just talk. Be kind to your fellow man and try something new in honor of Anthony.

RIP

Reaction Score
I don't think it's a switch at all. It's something going on inside of people all the time. But we learn to hide it. We learn not to talk about it, because you're not supposed to talk about it. Because people tell you to cheer up, to be happy for yourself, to count your blessings.

So quietly, you suffer, and you go on, every day, because you're supposed to be happy, and you're supposed to feel satisfied, and all this success is supposed to mean something, but you just feel empty and worthless inside, and you know you don't deserve it.

Depression doesn't care if you're rich or handsome or powerful or popular or surrounded by people who worship you. Why would you think it does? Does diabetes care if you're rich? Does cancer care if you have a TV show or a bestselling book?

We still don't take it seriously as a disease. We say, "How can someone with such a life be depressed," because we still think, well, they should just *choose* to be happy. As if people wouldn't choose that option if they could.

All you can do is just try to manage it. And sometimes, you lose that battle. Sometimes, the depression just wears you down, and you're so tired of feeling so sh!tty, of feeling like nothing matters, of feeling like you're worthless and unworthy of love, that you'd rather just not be alive anymore.

But please don't view it as a reflection of who these people are. It's not. It's the disease.

Get help if you can. Go to therapy. Get treatment. It can help. It's helped me.

But it doesn't help everyone. And we need to look at it honestly as a disease.
Well said. Medication and cognitive therapy saved me 30 years ago. I am still on a maintenance meds and therapy. Nothing is more frustrating than someone telling snap out of it. Mental illness runs in my family.

Reaction Score

"Suicide rates increased by 25% across the United States over nearly two decades ending in 2016, according to research published Thursday by the US Centers for Disease Control and Prevention. Twenty-five states experienced a rise in suicides by more than 30%, the government report finds."

Suicide rate: US saw 25% increase since 1999, CDC says - CNN

Environmental, societal, economic, mental, etc., who knows? Whatever the reason, unfortunately, loved ones left behind suffer the most.

Reaction Score
Well said. Medication and cognitive therapy saved me 30 years ago. I am still on a maintenance meds and therapy. Nothing is more frustrating than someone telling snap out of it. Mental illness runs in my family.

I'm with you. Therapy has helped me so much. But I know it could all come rushing back at any moment. And people around me are always like, "But you have X, Y, and Z, how can you be depressed?!"

So easily.

Reaction Score
Wow, really sad. Read Kitchen Confidential 15 years ago and have been a big fan ever since. There really is an epidemic going on, just read some numbers last night on suicides and the number was staggering.

Funny aside, I'm watching No Reservations one night and Bourdain is at Hiram's hot dogs in NJ and he's standing right next to my uncle talking to him, my uncle of course had no clue who he is. RIP Anthony Bourdain.

Reaction Score
Kitchen Confidential is one of my favorite books. A must read if you like him, enjoy cooking or ever worked in a kitchen.

Do you think they read this book in the kitchen at Keney deep?:oops:

Reaction Score
This celebrity death legitimately upsets me. Huge fan. At least we have a way to remember him in his millions of tv episodes. Side note. If you can not get how someone rich and so successful can kill himself you don't understand depression. I have known extremely successful people that couldn't handle their inner demons.

CL82

NCAA Men’s Basketball National Champions - Again!
Reaction Score
I'm with you. Therapy has helped me so much. But I know it could all come rushing back at any moment. And people around me are always like, "But you have X, Y, and Z, how can you be depressed?!"

So easily.
Because people who haven't experienced directly or indirectly equate depression with being sad rather than a medical condition. I have a business acquaintance who told me that he used to go home every day, eat supper, go up into his room and cry until he'll fell asleep. Every day. I don't think I had any sense of power it had before I heard that.

Thanks for your post. It is important for people to hear.

Reaction Score
Do you think they read this book in the kitchen at Keney deep?:oops:

So, good question off topic for you. You have played at most golf courses in the CT/MA area. What are the top 2-3 kitchen/restaurants for you?

Reaction Score
RIP, loved his show
He really inspired me to see more parts of the world and the experience culture through food.

UConnSportsGuy

Addicted to all things UCONN!
Reaction Score
Man, with the suicide and opioid epidemics hitting, this is like the 'juiced ball' era for the Death Pool!:oops::confused:

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
dogsdogsdog

Top Bottom