OT Anthony Bourdain dead | Page 2 | The Boneyard

OT Anthony Bourdain dead

Edward Sargent

Sargelak
Reaction Score
There is some sort of epidemic forming with suicide. Like a switch going off in some people out of the blue. It has always been that way in that seemingly “ok” people kill themselves, but suicide rates are way up and child suicide is becoming a big problem. Presecription drugs, food additives, something in the water? Just seems something unnatural may be happening.
I've seen and experienced losing close friends and colleagues who suffered with depression. Like Kate Spade who had a seemingly great chat with her Dad on Monday night and was dead on Tuesday morning the switch seemed to turn on suddenly - or did it. Maybe Kate was saying goodbye to her Dad without letting him know of her plans. The drugs we have are better than they used to be but maybe not good enough. Some people go off the meds to avoid side effects or to try new "holistic" or other treatments and maybe others the meds effect wears off. Psychiatry and psychology are two areas of medicine which we know so little about.

Hans Sprungfeld

Undecided
Reaction Score
Kitchen Confidential is one of my favorite books. A must read if you like him, enjoy cooking or ever worked in a kitchen.

Does this link route through the Boneyard?

Hans Sprungfeld

Undecided
Reaction Score
I strongly affirm all comments that add up to, "Mental illness is illness." That was the key takeaway from an overflow funeral at NYC's Church of Heavenly Rest for by far the most accomplished member of my secondary school class. One by one, the leads of a recognizably named corporation, family trust, foundation, association, museum, charitable organization, school, etc. brought this message home to assembled family, friends, and so-called "masters of the universe."

The helpful message for those fortunate enough to be able to respond to it is, "Don't compare your insides to another's outside.

Edward Sargent

Sargelak
Reaction Score
I strongly affirm all comments that add up to, "Mental illness is illness." That was the key takeaway from an overflow funeral at NYC's Church of Heavenly Rest for by far the most accomplished member of my secondary school class. One by one, the leads of a recognizably named corporation, family trust, foundation, association, museum, charitable organization, school, etc. brought this message home to assembled family, friends, and so-called "masters of the universe."

The helpful message for those fortunate enough to be able to respond to it is, "Don't compare your insides to another's outside.
Nice play on don't judge a book by its cover and walk a mile in my shoes!!

August_West

Universal remote, put it down on docking station.
Reaction Score
Very sad.

At least we still have Guy Fieri.

Reaction Score
Tough on Eric Ripert, he was the one who found his friend.

Husky25

Dink & Dunk beat the Greatest Show on Turf.
Reaction Score
Very sad.

At least we still have Guy Fieri.
Diners, Drive-ins & Dives exposes us to deep fried tater tots and queso. Parts Unknown showed an honest connection with interesting people in far off lands over their local delicacies.

It's like comparing the crossword puzzles from The Daily Campus to the New York Times.

Curiouser
Reaction Score
When John Perry Barlow died earlier this year they published his list of 25 Principles of Adult Behavior. No. 15 was the hardest for me to comprehend initially, but has since become among the most profound as I have tried to understand the effect of depression on one of my loved ones and to be helpful:

Avoid the pursuit of happiness. Seek to define your mission and pursue that.

August_West

Reaction Score
Diners, Drive-ins & Dives exposes us to deep fried tater tots and queso. Parts Unknown showed an honest connection with interesting people in far off lands over their local delicacies.

It's like comparing the crossword puzzles from The Daily Campus to the New York Times.

I liked Bourdain a lot, but you fail to recognize the under the hood greatness of Fiery.

Reaction Score
When John Perry Barlow died earlier this year they published his list of 25 Principles of Adult Behavior. No. 15 was the hardest for me to comprehend initially, but has since become among the most profound as I have tried to understand the effect of depression on one of my loved ones and to be helpful:

Avoid the pursuit of happiness. Seek to define your mission and pursue that.
In other words be a soulless, fat and happy dips^^t like Guy Fieri...

Reaction Score
This one hurts. Was a huge fan of the guy, his shows, and his message. Selfshly im going to miss not being able to watch him anymore.

You’re in Strasbourg France eating and drinking and kicking it with one of your best friends for a living and it’s still too much to bear. Goes to show that you never really know what’s going on behind closed doors.

RIP. I feel awful for his young daughter.

August_West

Reaction Score
From the Cesspool discussion about this. Since this seems to be the thread now.

My two cents:

He was a heroin junkie and coke fiend who managed to kick junk and coke years ago but never dealt with his underlying issues and continued to drink like a fish and smoke weed. That, and his success both,Im sure, masked the psychological issues that led to his propensity for junk and coke in the first place. So Im sure they've always been sitting right under the surface, bubbling, waiting to come up. Sounds like they did. Real sad.

It's why you need to really put some clean time and serious work behind you in recovery. For some, that needs to be a lifetime.

Plus this:

maybe (speculating) being crushed over a woman. A tale as old as time. Here is his girlfriend for the last few years just a couple days ago.

Asia Argento embraces Clement who shared her attack on Weinstein | Daily Mail Online

sometimes that's all it takes.

Reaction Score

My two cents:

He was a heroin junkie and coke fiend who managed to kick junk and coke years ago but never dealt with his underlying issues and continued to drink like a fish and smoke weed. That, and his success both,Im sure, masked the psychological issues that led to his propensity for junk and coke in the first place. So Im sure they've always been sitting right under the surface, bubbling, waiting to come up. Sounds like they did. Real sad.

It's why you need to really put some clean time and serious work behind you in recovery. For some, that needs to be a lifetime.

Plus this:

maybe (speculating) being crushed over a woman. A tale as old as time. Here is his girlfriend for the last few years just a couple days ago.

Asia Argento embraces Clement who shared her attack on Weinstein | Daily Mail Online

Well said, think you nailed it.

Curiouser
Reaction Score
In other words be a soulless, fat and happy dips^^t like Guy Fieri...
I don't know much about Fieri, but I do believe that "happiness," as many people understand it, is fleeting on a day-to-day, day-in, day-out basis. If you believe you should be happy all the time, and you think everyone else is, it could cause you to think there is something wrong with you if you aren't, and/or it could cause you to use artificial means like recreational drugs to excess in an ultimately losing battle to stay happy all the time.

I also think social media has worsened this dynamic in at least three ways: (1) viewing other people's highly curated online "selves" gives a skewed perspective of how happy they are; (2) spending so much time on phones instead of engaged in genuine human interaction increases isolation and loneliness; and (3) being exposed to a universe of dysfunction, including a culture in which self-harmful behaviors are celebrated, increases the chances of experimentation with those behaviors.

Reaction Score
I don't know much about Fieri, but I do believe that "happiness," as many people understand it, is fleeting on a day-to-day, day-in, day-out basis. If you believe you should be happy all the time, and you think everyone else is, it could cause you to think there is something wrong with you if you aren't, and/or it could cause you to use artificial means like recreational drugs to excess in an ultimately losing battle to stay happy all the time.

I also think social media has worsened this dynamic in at least three ways: (1) viewing other people's highly curated online "selves" gives a skewed perspective of how happy they are; (2) spending so much time on phones instead of engaged in genuine human interaction increases isolation and loneliness; and (3) being exposed to a universe of dysfunction, including a culture in which self-harmful behaviors are celebrated, increases the chances of experimentation with those behaviors.
Absolutely agree on social media isolation. I was just pointing out that the talented always seem to be the most tortured while the Guy Fieri's of the world seem too dumb and unaffected to be bothered by anything.

UC313

Knucklehead
Reaction Score

My two cents:

Plus this:

Had an old childhood friend who recently went through this exact situation (less the junk). The funniest guy anyone's ever met, a talented equipment operator, and gone far too soon. I had called him out of the blue only 3 weeks prior. Old boy sounded happy as could be.

Dream Jobbed 2.0

“Most definitely”
Reaction Score

The most hilarious thing about D,D &D is when Guy is like “you’ve been cooking the sauce in this pot for 50 years and never cleaned it? Flavor town!” And on restaurant takeover type shows that gets you arrested.

RIP Bourdain.

Reaction Score

It's just more proof that our idea of what brings people happiness is so superficial. The way we are living today seems to be against our own nature. We're not that far removed from being a species of nomadic tribes. I think the actual culture change it would require to reduce the suicide rates is so great that it's no longer going to be seen as viable.

Reaction Score
As with anything else, I think this is a complex issue with many facets. First, I wouldn't discount the void left behind by spirituality. Most people are not very spiritual any more, even if they believe in a higher power. I had a mentor for years who passed away from pancreatic cancer. He was brilliant but tortured. Common story, no? He finally found peace when he began to study all of the world's religions. He chose to call them wisdom traditions. He was raised Jewish but studied everything. He began to see the common threads or the true nuggets of wisdom. Those are what got him through and to the other side. Those are what brought him peace. He was not a scientist but I am and when he began to share those nuggets with me, I could see the possibilities of how they also could be consistent with science. The problem is, when you are no longer immersed in that environment or no longer have people you regularly talk to about these things, they can fade into the background of your mind. Then you start living in the past or the future again. You lose self awareness and lose focus on the present. And when you live in the past or the future you are so much more likely to suffer. It is unlikely that any of us are bio-chemically perfect and/or that we have been fortunate enough to have not had a psychologically traumatic event in our lives. Those things often lead to attachment of some form. And then you either fear losing that which you are attached to or become depressed over something you already lost. It becomes brutal when those attachments are people. Loss can take on many forms with people. It can be the worst form in terms of death or can simply be separation. Now, if you are brilliant, you also probably think, A LOT. If those thoughts are in the past or the future, you torture yourself, A LOT. Then you become mentally exhausted. Eventually, you reach a breaking point and death seems like the best path to peace. That is all people really want, deep down. Peace.

There also seems to be a connection with anti-depressants. It seems they often make matters worse. It depends on the person. We have a long way to go here, as several have mentioned.

And I will add that our society evolves and not always in a direction consistent with achieving inner-peace. I think America has long been between a rock and a hard place. We look at the lifestyle that those who live on the Mediterranean live and we want that for ourselves. Who wouldn't want a low stress, laid back, lifestyle??? But their economies struggle because they don't, in general, "work hard enough". Then we look toward Asia and see threats to our own economy because, relative to them, we don't "work hard enough". Hard work and enjoying the fruits of our labor is in the DNA of Americans so we are self-programmed to want to compete with the Asians. We don't want to be "out-worked" by anyone. In a way, our society itself is bi-polar. It is easy to always be doubting yourself and your choices when you want two opposing things at the same time. You constantly feel torn. Now, consider that over the last 20-30 years, the percentage of the American population that is Asian-American has been growing rapidly. Initially, they came here as international students. Some undergrad, some grad. Many of them brought with them that fierce competitiveness of their culture. Why their culture is that way is another question for another day but I believe much of it has been driven by decades of scarcity. Next, consider that most of these immigrants were the very top of their country in terms of socio-economics and intellect. I am talking the top fraction of a percent. Maybe hundredths of a percent. So, in terms of profession and education, they end up mingling with the best of the best of our country. Again, these are the people that think, A LOT. They fear not being competitive so they raise their efforts. They sacrifice more of the little things to better compete for the big things. But those little things provide the variety that is the spice of life. Has anyone looked at the insanity that is the spelling bee lately? Think what you want but two of the recent winners actually went to grammar school with my kids. I can tell you that these kids sacrifice A LOT of their childhood to bring status and recognition to their families. Kids that age don't naturally get geeked up about spelling, no matter how nerdy they are. This is coming from their hyper-competitive parents. Then the mentality leaks into high school. Have you seen the courses some of these high schools offer now?!?!?! There are kids that have taken Vector Calculus, Linear Algebra and Differential Equations by the end of their junior year. This push for more and more and more comes from that hyper-competitive mentality. If one kid takes Calc 2 then I want my kid to take Vector Calculus so he has a better chance to get into Harvard. Then it becomes Linear Algebra. Then Differential Equations. More and more and more. But at what cost? These kids barely sleep and barely have down time for those little things. And it is no less insane with extracurriculars and community service. Kids are pushed to play more and more sports. They are pushed to be better and better by playing and/or going to camps in the summer. And community service? Now it has to be hundreds of hours and often away from home in third world countries because the key is to be "distinguished" in some way. And if it isn't community service, these kids are pushed to do "research" over the summer and often away from home. It is common now for kids to skip lunch to take an extra AP class so they can have a higher class rank. Could we do any more to raise exhausted and stressed out kids?!?!? Is it really any surprise that the number of kids in therapy at top colleges is rising rapidly? How could it not! Cornell had to put nets under their foot bridges because kids jumping became an issue. I know of at least two kids there that were told they were a disappointment because they only got into Cornell. Think about all of this for a second.

So we have a push to want more because we don't want to be seen as lazy or less. On top of that we are losing our spiritual compass and that is leading to attachment and living in anything but the present. Simpler times were called that for a reason. The less simple life becomes, the more people that get pushed to the breaking point.

Reaction Score
As with anything else, I think this is a complex issue with many facets. First, I wouldn't discount the void left behind by spirituality. Most people are not very spiritual any more, even if they believe in a higher power. I had a mentor for years who passed away from pancreatic cancer. He was brilliant but tortured. Common story, no? He finally found peace when he began to study all of the world's religions. He chose to call them wisdom traditions. He was raised Jewish but studied everything. He began to see the common threads or the true nuggets of wisdom. Those are what got him through and to the other side. Those are what brought him peace. He was not a scientist but I am and when he began to share those nuggets with me, I could see the possibilities of how they also could be consistent with science. The problem is, when you are no longer immersed in that environment or no longer have people you regularly talk to about these things, they can fade into the background of your mind. Then you start living in the past or the future again. You lose self awareness and lose focus on the present. And when you live in the past or the future you are so much more likely to suffer. It is unlikely that any of us are bio-chemically perfect and/or that we have been fortunate enough to have not had a psychologically traumatic event in our lives. Those things often lead to attachment of some form. And then you either fear losing that which you are attached to or become depressed over something you already lost. It becomes brutal when those attachments are people. Loss can take on many forms with people. It can be the worst form in terms of death or can simply be separation. Now, if you are brilliant, you also probably think, A LOT. If those thoughts are in the past or the future, you torture yourself, A LOT. Then you become mentally exhausted. Eventually, you reach a breaking point and death seems like the best path to peace. That is all people really want, deep down. Peace.

There also seems to be a connection with anti-depressants. It seems they often make matters worse. It depends on the person. We have a long way to go here, as several have mentioned.

And I will add that our society evolves and not always in a direction consistent with achieving inner-peace. I think America has long been between a rock and a hard place. We look at the lifestyle that those who live on the Mediterranean live and we want that for ourselves. Who wouldn't want a low stress, laid back, lifestyle??? But their economies struggle because they don't, in general, "work hard enough". Then we look toward Asia and see threats to our own economy because, relative to them, we don't "work hard enough". Hard work and enjoying the fruits of our labor is in the DNA of Americans so we are self-programmed to want to compete with the Asians. We don't want to be "out-worked" by anyone. In a way, our society itself is bi-polar. It is easy to always be doubting yourself and your choices when you want two opposing things at the same time. You constantly feel torn. Now, consider that over the last 20-30 years, the percentage of the American population that is Asian-American has been growing rapidly. Initially, they came here as international students. Some undergrad, some grad. Many of them brought with them that fierce competitiveness of their culture. Why their culture is that way is another question for another day but I believe much of it has been driven by decades of scarcity. Next, consider that most of these immigrants were the very top of their country in terms of socio-economics and intellect. I am talking the top fraction of a percent. Maybe hundredths of a percent. So, in terms of profession and education, they end up mingling with the best of the best of our country. Again, these are the people that think, A LOT. They fear not being competitive so they raise their efforts. They sacrifice more of the little things to better compete for the big things. But those little things provide the variety that is the spice of life. Has anyone looked at the insanity that is the spelling bee lately? Think what you want but two of the recent winners actually went to grammar school with my kids. I can tell you that these kids sacrifice A LOT of their childhood to bring status and recognition to their families. Kids that age don't naturally get geeked up about spelling, no matter how nerdy they are. This is coming from their hyper-competitive parents. Then the mentality leaks into high school. Have you seen the courses some of these high schools offer now?!?!?! There are kids that have taken Vector Calculus, Linear Algebra and Differential Equations by the end of their junior year. This push for more and more and more comes from that hyper-competitive mentality. If one kid takes Calc 2 then I want my kid to take Vector Calculus so he has a better chance to get into Harvard. Then it becomes Linear Algebra. Then Differential Equations. More and more and more. But at what cost? These kids barely sleep and barely have down time for those little things. And it is no less insane with extracurriculars and community service. Kids are pushed to play more and more sports. They are pushed to be better and better by playing and/or going to camps in the summer. And community service? Now it has to be hundreds of hours and often away from home in third world countries because the key is to be "distinguished" in some way. And if it isn't community service, these kids are pushed to do "research" over the summer and often away from home. It is common now for kids to skip lunch to take an extra AP class so they can have a higher class rank. Could we do any more to raise exhausted and stressed out kids?!?!? Is it really any surprise that the number of kids in therapy at top colleges is rising rapidly? How could it not! Cornell had to put nets under their foot bridges because kids jumping became an issue. I know of at least two kids there that were told they were a disappointment because they only got into Cornell. Think about all of this for a second.

So we have a push to want more because we don't want to be seen as lazy or less. On top of that we are losing our spiritual compass and that is leading to attachment and living in anything but the present. Simpler times were called that for a reason. The less simple life becomes, the more people that get pushed to the breaking point.

Wow. Trying to get through this one made me want to kill myself.

Too soon?

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Kemba123#

Top Bottom