OT - 2017 PGA Championship (Quail Hollow) | Page 4 | The Boneyard

OT - 2017 PGA Championship (Quail Hollow)

Chin Diesel

Power of Love
Reaction Score
You're arguing performance and I am arguing fan popularity, you seem to think they are the same thing but they are not.

Whenever you want to send over those TV numbers we can revisit this but I am done with this topic until then.

The weekend should be great, very excited.

You're basing popularity off of Twitter which people can opt in to or opt out of.

I'm measuring popularity off apparel sales, endorsements and TV ratings.

Reaction Score
You're basing popularity off of Twitter which people can opt in to or opt out of.

I'm measuring popularity off apparel sales, endorsements and TV ratings.
It's not twitter followers, it's interactions, huge difference, it's people talking about someone and has nothing to do with Rickie tweeting, which he actually does very little. You are clearly lost on this.

So we are basing TV ratings for players off of one tournament now? Jesus. The 2014 PGA had the highest ratings since Tiger and YE Yang, so I guess that proves Rickie is the most popular end of story. I'm not dumb enough to argue that though.

Ratings were down 16% this year at Pebble where Jordan won, larger drop than the Honda, which Rickie won. Oh and I am shocked to hear more people tuned in this year at the travelers over Russel Knox and Jerry Kelly battling it last year, shocked I tell you.

Oh and send me your apperal sales stats after you find me those TV stats.

Last edited:
Reaction Score
I sent you TV ratings from the British Open being highest in 9 years which includes wins by Rory, Ton W's near win, etc.

I'll be nice and let you check out this year's Traveler's Championship.

Bottom line? Jordan moves the needle like only he and Rory can do right now. Not Tiger level but above anything Fowler, Say, DJ or anyone else can do.
Also, nice work cherry picking those open numbers, overall the final round was down from last year and the open cuts of its lower rated segments and the us open doesn't so the two are not easily comparable.

I told you to give this up unless you provide actual tv stats by players but you won't give up and keep making stuff up

Reaction Score
I like Rickie, but don't think he really has the game to win majors at this point in his career.

Why not? He has already won on this course and I know its a different set up.

Chin Diesel

Power of Love
Reaction Score
It's not twitter followers, it's interactions, huge difference, it's people talking about someone and has nothing to do with Rickie tweeting, which he actually does very little. You are clearly lost on this.

So we are basing TV ratings for players off of one tournament now? Jesus. The 2014 PGA had the highest ratings since Tiger and YE Yang, so I guess that proves Rickie is the most popular end of story. I'm not dumb enough to argue that though.

Ratings were down 16% this year at Pebble where Jordan won, larger drop than the Honda, which Rickie won. Oh and I am shocked to hear more people tuned in this year at the travelers over Russel Knox and Jerry Kelly battling it last year, shocked I tell you.

Oh and send me your apperal sales stats after you find me those TV stats.

I've already conceded Rickie owns Twitter.

I don't consider that the be all end all of popularity. Too many variable of people who use it.

I follow money and money says Fowler definitely isn't most popular and is definitely less popular than Spieth.

And you have nothing to refute either of those statements.

Chin Diesel

Power of Love
Reaction Score
Threesomes today.

Fowler, Thomas and Casey.

Molinaro, Ooisthuizen and Stroud

Day, Matsuyama and Kisner.

Day, Kisner and Matsuyama were locked in yesterday. Doubtful all three continue hot today.

JT making a move today is what I'm looking for today.

Reaction Score
I've already conceded Rickie owns Twitter.

I don't consider that the be all end all of popularity. Too many variable of people who use it.

I follow money and money says Fowler definitely isn't most popular and is definitely less popular than Spieth.

And you have nothing to refute either of those statements.
So you don't have those apperal sales figures, cool, that's what I thought.

jleves

Awesomeness
Reaction Score
^^^
OK - you both disagree about something that cannot be definitively proven. Can we stop calling people out and return to talking about a great golf tournament?

Drew

Its a post, about nothing!
Reaction Score
Really really enjoyed my time out at Quail Hollow yesterday. The course is in absolutely BEAUTIFUL shape. It's really pretty incredible to see. The changes they made to the first hole make it one of the most difficult par 4's I've seen. Really probably could be a par 5.

We waited out the rain and we're rewarded. We sat on the green on 17 and watched all the big groups coming through at the end. Funny to see DJ Day etc sprinting from shot to shot at the end to try to finish. They actually blew the horn to get them off the course and they wound up finishing anyways.

Excited to see what happens today. Oosthuizen is one to watch in my opinion, he was knocking it real close yesterday. Matsyuama was great per usual the past couple weeks and Day will have a shot as well. Love this course, excited for the finish

Reaction Score
Did you ask Phil for any stock tips?

Really really enjoyed my time out at Quail Hollow yesterday. The course is in absolutely BEAUTIFUL shape. It's really pretty incredible to see. The changes they made to the first hole make it one of the most difficult par 4's I've seen. Really probably could be a par 5.

We waited out the rain and we're rewarded. We sat on the green on 17 and watched all the big groups coming through at the end. Funny to see DJ Day etc sprinting from shot to shot at the end to try to finish. They actually blew the horn to get them off the course and they wound up finishing anyways.

Excited to see what happens today. Oosthuizen is one to watch in my opinion, he was knocking it real close yesterday. Matsyuama was great per usual the past couple weeks and Day will have a shot as well. Love this course, excited for the finish

Chin Diesel

Power of Love
Reaction Score

TV announcers kept saying how the Iris on TV camera couldn't show how dark it really was those last 15 min.

You could see the light from the scoreboard shining off the golf balls on 18.

If Day misses a win by a shot makes you wonder if he'll regret putting out on 18.

jleves

Awesomeness
Reaction Score
TV announcers kept saying how the Iris on TV camera couldn't show how dark it really was those last 15 min.

You could see the light from the scoreboard shining off the golf balls on 18.

If Day misses a win by a shot makes you wonder if he'll regret putting out on 18.
I would imagine the 1 shot possible difference would easily be made up by an extra 3+ hours sleep and not having to play one hole at 7:30am and then waiting around until 2pm to tee off.

Chin Diesel

Power of Love
Reaction Score
I would imagine the 1 shot possible difference would easily be made up by an extra 3+ hours sleep and not having to play one hole at 7:30am and then waiting around until 2pm to tee off.

I'm sure they are aware of the risk/reward of the choices.

No guarantee he'd have made the putt this morning either.

Mr. French

Tremendous Individual
Reaction Score
All I'll say is, I'm a HUGE sports fan but a casual golf fan ... I have known Rickie for some time, but in no way would I consider him the most popular to me and anyone I know that follows golf, diehards or not.

I can't tell ya how that fits in with all your back and forth facts and opinions, but that's my 2 cents.

Reaction Score
A big problem golf has is there are 30-40 guys on the tour that are boring, unlikeable and bring no interest and 2-3 are always in and around the lead any given week.

This week so far it's Kisner & Stroud. You know CBS and the PGA are hoping they blow up so they can get some combo of Day/Hideki-Rickie in the final group tomorrow.

Reaction Score
A big problem golf has is there are 30-40 guys on the tour that are boring, unlikeable and bring no interest and 2-3 are always in and around the lead any given week.

This week so far it's Kisner & Stroud. You know CBS and the PGA are hoping they blow up so they can get some combo of Day/Hideki-Rickie in the final group tomorrow.

Most are boring but its golf. CBS obviously wanted Rory and Jordan and thats not going to happen, I'll I hope for is a clustered leaderboard.

Reaction Score
Agree, but man, Kevin Kisner, wow. The least likeable and most boring player in a long time.

I think CBS just wanted some combo of Rory, Spieth, DJ, Day, Hideki and Rickie

Most are boring but its golf. CBS obviously wanted Rory and Jordan and thats not going to happen, I'll I hope for is a clustered leaderboard.

Reaction Score
A golf day in the JSM's world:

After shooting 94 in his Sunday orange Puma wear, flat brimmed Puma hat he comes in swearing if he could putt he would've broken 70, but the greens sucked. He sits in the golf club bar and looks at the beers on tap. The bartender Joe asked "What can I get you to drink?" to which JSM says "Your beers on tap choice blows what do you have in bottles?" He finally settles for a Narragansett kinger and looks at the TV seeing Kisner is leading the tournament to which he says "Joe is he the most boring golfer ever or what? I mean I think we need to hope Ricky can start winning because he's great and in case you didn't notice I model my game around him. This is boring watching this guy and Hideki can we put this on the little TV over there and get the Yankee game on this 60 incher? I mean have you been watching Judge, God does he suck I want to see one more K so I can tell everyone just how pitiful he is?" Joe to JSM - "would you like a menu?" JSM "I'm hungry as hell but if you're food is anything like you're beer choices I'm afraid to order anything here most of it must suck" As he's sipping a beer he asks when they were going to fix the greens to which Joe replies "They have the Top greens in the state according to the PGA of America, easiest to make putts" JSM "well you need a new morning crew because today they sucked I mean I shot 94 and if the greens were good I would've been around 74 minimum" Joe laughs at him and walks to get his burger, when suddenly Aaron Judge strikes out looking on the big screen and immediately JSM grabs his napkin and heads to the men's room only to reappear 30 seconds later hungry as hell. His burger is waiting and he asks Joe to send it back because the cook doesn't know "what the hell medium is, this is rare and it's still walking get this back to the kitchen" After a couple major green hawkers from the cook, big slab of lettuce to cover it with another fresh tomato and a couple more minutes on the grill it comes back out perfect, medium. "Much more flavor this is the way I always like it..you know my beer has been empty for 1 minute and half already can I have another one?"

Leaves Joe 10% for the tip and say to Joe "I like you but I have to go by overall service and the food sucked and the beer choice was awful as were the greens. But you're a good guy I'll be back to keep you company soon!"

As he grabs his clubs outside and looks at the ranger he said, "Do you bring clubs to the car for me?" to which the ranger smiled and said no - JSM replied "Tell your pro this place sucks! Oh and have a good night"

Drew

Its a post, about nothing!
Reaction Score
Jason Day just completely and totally collapsed on 18. Shoots a quad bogey 8. Tried to be a hero from here:

and wound up having to take an unplayable and hit his fourth shot from the attached image below.

Should be a wild wild Sunday. I'm taking Oosthuizen.

Attachments

• Screen Shot 2017-08-12 at 7.31.20 PM.png
    Screen Shot 2017-08-12 at 7.31.20 PM.png
    219.8 KB · Views: 37
Reaction Score
Couldn't exactly follow all of this, but I'm a big tipper. And always tip in cash. That's an area u can't criticize me. All others pretty fair.

I can't stand Kisner or Stroud.

A golf day in the JSM's world:

After shooting 94 in his Sunday orange Puma wear, flat brimmed Puma hat he comes in swearing if he could putt he would've broken 70, but the greens sucked. He sits in the golf club bar and looks at the beers on tap. The bartender Joe asked "What can I get you to drink?" to which JSM says "Your beers on tap choice blows what do you have in bottles?" He finally settles for a Narragansett kinger and looks at the TV seeing Kisner is leading the tournament to which he says "Joe is he the most boring golfer ever or what? I mean I think we need to hope Ricky can start winning because he's great and in case you didn't notice I model my game around him. This is boring watching this guy and Hideki can we put this on the little TV over there and get the Yankee game on this 60 incher? I mean have you been watching Judge, God does he suck I want to see one more K so I can tell everyone just how pitiful he is?" Joe to JSM - "would you like a menu?" JSM "I'm hungry as hell but if you're food is anything like you're beer choices I'm afraid to order anything here most of it must suck" As he's sipping a beer he asks when they were going to fix the greens to which Joe replies "They have the Top greens in the state according to the PGA of America, easiest to make putts" JSM "well you need a new morning crew because today they sucked I mean I shot 94 and if the greens were good I would've been around 74 minimum" Joe laughs at him and walks to get his burger, when suddenly Aaron Judge strikes out looking on the big screen and immediately JSM grabs his napkin and heads to the men's room only to reappear 30 seconds later hungry as hell. His burger is waiting and he asks Joe to send it back because the cook doesn't know "what the hell medium is, this is rare and it's still walking get this back to the kitchen" After a couple major green hawkers from the cook, big slab of lettuce to cover it with another fresh tomato and a couple more minutes on the grill it comes back out perfect, medium. "Much more flavor this is the way I always like it..you know my beer has been empty for 1 minute and half already can I have another one?"

Leaves Joe 10% for the tip and say to Joe "I like you but I have to go by overall service and the food sucked and the beer choice was awful as were the greens. But you're a good guy I'll be back to keep you company soon!"

As he grabs his clubs outside and looks at the ranger he said, "Do you bring clubs to the car for me?" to which the ranger smiled and said no - JSM replied "Tell your pro this place sucks! Oh and have a good night"

Reaction Score
Jason Day just completely and totally collapsed on 18. Shoots a quad bogey 8. Tried to be a hero from here:

and wound up having to take an unplayable and hit his fourth shot from the attached image below.

Should be a wild wild Sunday. I'm taking Oosthuizen.

Missed the end - that's crazy because he just had gotten himself back in it with 3 birds in a row. He's having a rough year, not the same player who looked at one point last year like he could dominate for a while.

Reaction Score
Agree, but man, Kevin Kisner, wow. The least likeable and most boring player in a long time.

I think CBS just wanted some combo of Rory, Spieth, DJ, Day, Hideki and Rickie

Why is he unlikeable?

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
deltaop99

Top Bottom