OT: 2017-2018 NBA Season Thread | Page 8 | The Boneyard

OT: 2017-2018 NBA Season Thread

Matrim55

Why is it so hard To make it in America
Reaction Score
Dre is awesome and has made a leap in his game. You can make an argument he's the best overall center in the league at the moment but you're probably the only guy on earth who thinks he's better offensively than Cousins.
There's a ceiling on how well you can do with a ball-dominant, iso-heavy player.

To put it another way: Carmelo is a better offensive player than a Tim Hardaway Jr/Doug McDermott rotation. But the Knicks are better offensively with the latter than the former.

I don't think Boogie's teams can really win in the modern game, and I think the same is true for Carmelo.

Reaction Score
There's a ceiling on how well you can do with a ball-dominant, iso-heavy player.

To put it another way: Carmelo is a better offensive player than a Tim Hardaway Jr/Doug McDermott rotation. But the Knicks are better offensively with the latter than the former.

I don't think Boogie's teams can really win in the modern game, and I think the same is true for Carmelo.
I think your arguments are very surface based on this. The Knicks are doing better because Porzingis has taken like 3 steps forward in his development and Phil Jackson is gone, not because Melo left. If you are taking the combination of Hardaway and Dougie over Melo, that is just an overreaction based on the first 10 games of a season. Same as taking Andre over Boogie, if you can find one unbiased person to do that, I would be very surprised. Andre us putting up great numbers right now, playing his game and improving, but Cousins is just a better player, and in my opinion it’s not that close.

Matrim55

Reaction Score
I think your arguments are very surface based on this. The Knicks are doing better because Porzingis has taken like 3 steps forward in his development and Phil Jackson is gone, not because Melo left.
Kristaps' usage rate has gone from 24% to 36%, and he's actually getting more efficient – his TS% has gone from 55% to 61%.

Getting a ball-stopper like Carmelo out of the offense is a big part of that. Smart teams understand the game has changed.

Reaction Score
Cousins and Davis are putting up insane numbers, I wonder how it translates to team success later in the season... can’t really think of a team with two top tenish players not making noise in playoffs.

Matrim55

Reaction Score
8 points (1-3 fg; 0-1 3fg; 6-7 from the line), 3 assists, 2 steals 0 TOs and a +17 in 14 minutes for Shabazz.

He's turning into a JJ Barea-esque bench weapon, which is a great (and hopefully long-term) role for him. So happy to see him playing like this in the league.

Reaction Score
not because Melo left.
Yeah but, Melo is a cancer.
, , , but Cousins is just a better player, and in my opinion it’s not that close.
Yeah but, Cousins is a cancer.

Both of those guys are losers, through and through. They bring down players around them, damage team chemistry, and make winning very difficult.

Of course Melo can prove me wrong by winning with OKC with Russel and George, who are two of the best players in the league.

Reaction Score
Napier kind of reminds me of the way J Lamb’s career is going. Started off on a few teams and didnt really get any significant minutes, but now is on a team that will give him a chance and look at the numbers.

Reaction Score
Daniel Hamilton made his NBA debut tonight! 0-1 FG in 4 minutes.

Officially 6 Huskies in the league now.
Sweet! Looks like he came up with Terrence Ferguson if i’m correct. Wish the Thunder beat the Bulls by a little more so he could’ve gotten some more run, but this is great news.

Matrim55

Reaction Score
Good read on Bazz, he's already got 11pts in the 2nd quarter against the Magic

“I don’t know how you would put it, or what the politically correct way to phrase it is, but … Shabazz is a dog,’’ guard Pat Connaughton said. “He fights. All the time.’’

Fuggin' A. Favorite Husky of all-time right there.

Matrim55

Reaction Score
Portland won 99-94. Shabazz entered the game with a little over 3 mins left in the 3rd quarter, and played all the way through to the end (save for one 26-second break).

On the night he finished with 19 points (7-12 FG, 5-5 3FG), 2 assists, 3 steals, 1 block and only 1 TO in 27 minutes. His final 3-pointer of the night, with 2:16 left in the 4th, was the one that gave them the breathing room they needed.

He may not be starting games, but he's officially finishing the now. This is great.

nomar

#1 Casual Fan™
Reaction Score
Started a new thread right about the time you guys posted, since I couldn't find this thread.

Matrim55

Reaction Score
Started a new thread right about the time you guys posted, since I couldn't find this thread.
he deserves his own thread tbh.

It's been an amazing start to the season for our Huskies in the league. Shabazz has become a rotation guy, Andre's playing like an all-star again, Rudy looks reborn in San Antonio, Lamb has elevated his game across the board, Kemba is being Kemba, and Hamilton made his debut.

Feels good.

nomar

#1 Casual Fan™
Reaction Score
Embiid is straight up murdering the Lakers. 36 points on 15 shots, 14 boards, 6 dimes and 6 blocks. Jesus.

And oh by the way, Simmons is about to put up another triple-double.

Tatum would look pretty good next to these guys, don't ya think?

Ball is -18 in 21 minutes. Oof.

Reaction Score
If Embiid can stay healthy he has the potential to be a top 5 center of all time. As an aside, the amount of young talent in the league right now is absurd. Outside of a maybe like 1 or 2 teams it feels like every team has at least one player you want to have league pass for.

Mr. French

Tremendous Individual
Reaction Score
Embiid is straight up murdering the Lakers. 36 points on 15 shots, 14 boards, 6 dimes and 6 blocks. Jesus.

Ummm ... 44, 14 & 7 ?

That's wild. I never imagined he'd be that kind of player / scorer. He's incredible right now.

I always liked Hinkie and "trusted the process," but this makes it even easier to praise him a bit in the long run, which was always his focus.

Reaction Score
If Embiid can stay healthy he has the potential to be a top 5 center of all time. As an aside, the amount of young talent in the league right now is absurd. Outside of a maybe like 1 or 2 teams it feels like every team has at least one player you want to have league pass for.
Oooph, that’s tough. The top 5 is set in stone in my opinion.

Reaction Score

Sure Tatum would have been nice but they don't need him, Simmons and Embiid together is frightening. A 6'10 freak point guard and a generational big man is pretty hard to stop. With all things that went wrong due to bad picks and injuries it still shows you tanking clearly worked. Now they just have to stay healthy.

Poe

Reaction Score
Shabazz with a really good game last night, with a +11:

shabzz.jpg

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member