One and Done Coming to an End? | The Boneyard

One and Done Coming to an End?

Reaction Score
What excites me about that is that it will help redistribute the incoming freshman talent and deter prospects away from recent one-and-done schools like Kentucky and Duke.

Fun fact: 16 of the 40 top-20 recruits (40%) from the '16 and '17 classes either enrolled to Duke or Kentucky.

Also, the top 4 committed prospects from '18 are either going to Duke or Kentucky.

KembaStepback

Rains Triples
Reaction Score
So the question is...how many of these kids jump to the draft out of highschool? The kids that don't jump - will they just shift the recruits back? Like the top kids that don't go to the draft, will they just go to Kentucky or Duke? I guess it depends on who stayed the year before, because they wont have a "spot" so to speak. I'd assume this would help UConn in recruiting, since we don't get 1 and done guys anyway.

Reaction Score
Why does the NBA feel like they need to discuss anything with the NCAA? The NBA and nobody else dictates the requirements for draft entry; the NCAA follows.

Besides, if I’m Silver and have the NBA and NBPA behind me, I laugh at and have no respect for Emmert and the sham he is running. Why do I care about the NCAA or their input?

polycom

I heard a beep, who just joined?
Reaction Score
Why does the NBA feel like they need to discuss anything with the NCAA? The NBA and nobody else dictates the requirements for draft entry; the NCAA follows.

Besides, if I’m Silver and have the NBA and NBPA behind me, I laugh at and have no respect for Emmert and the sham he is running. Why do I care about the NCAA or their input?

When the NCAA is a multi-billion dollar business you run things by them even if you are a bigger multi billion dollar business. They aren't competitors.

Reaction Score

You woke up on the wrong side of the bed, didn't you?

Maybe Silver recognizes that this has an impact on the entire sport of basketball, and that directly and indirectly impacts the NBA.

Reaction Score
Good news but I'd rather it be bargained that kids have to stay 3 years if they enter college.
I had the thought of 2 separate 2 year contracts with the school. After 1 term they either go pro, transfer freely, or resign. No surprises.

Reaction Score
I like that it would make Calipari actually coach, but I hope people realize that the new “best recruits” in the country will still pick the same schools.

The talent pool would be a bit more shallow, but in the short term kids would still pick the schools that have been most successful in recent years.

Reaction Score
Other college sports rule should be applied here. You can go to the draft right away if you wish, but other wise you are in college for 3 years.

Wordbomar

"Walker on McGee with four.."
Reaction Score
I like that it would make Calipari actually coach, but I hope people realize that the new “best recruits” in the country will still pick the same schools.

The talent pool would be a bit more shallow, but in the short term kids would still pick the schools that have been most successful in recent years.

But they won't be able to hoard 15 of the best 25 recruits every year, but rather 7 our 8. It will help redistribute talent a little bit.

Reaction Score
If the one and done rule goes away I would guess the "can't miss" high school players go straight to the draft. There really aren't that many of those are there? Then many of the rest of the top rated recruits would just pick Duke and Kentucky anyway. What it would do is make everything a little more competitive because two teams wouldn't have 20 first round draft picks on their rosters necessarily. I would also think that the college players who may be good enough to go in the draft, might end up having to stay in college longer because you would have possibly 5-10 high school seniors entering as lottery picks every year assuming there are that many that are good enough.

KembaStepback

Rains Triples
Reaction Score
But they won't be able to hoard 15 of the best 25 recruits every year, but rather 7 our 8. It will help redistribute talent a little bit.
This is what I was getting at, however I think things will be a bit different. Kids entering college wont go to a school that just had a freshman have a big season.

Reaction Score
Would be interesting to see how much time Duke/UK spend trying to convince top 5 recruits to commit when there's the chance they could forgo college entirely. Do they focus their efforts there or just turn to the next tier? Being top 5 doesn't necessarily mean automatically going from high school to NBA. Just looking at past Rivals rankings (before one and done rule) you had the #2 (Luol Deng), #3 (Shannon Brown), #5 (Villanueva) in 2003 go to college, the #5 (Rudy Gay) in 2004 go to college, and the #2 (Josh McRoberts) in 2005 go to college.

Last edited:
Reaction Score

You don't need to care but the NBA and NFL care as NCCA Basketball & Football are minor league development leagues for the Pros.

Reaction Score
Don't like any restrictions on entry into a career other than general (need to be 16 to work or 18 for more dangerous work). Why does kid have to decide between going into baseball or 3 years of college? My kid plays flute and gets scholarship to school and doesn't like it so after one semester transfers to another school on scholarship or joins a professional orchestra - who says he can't.
I think of it as blank slate. Assume there is an NBA and also college basketball. How would either work together. NBA pays players and to extent that has fans/media willing to pay can compensate players to extent that if you are a good player and want/need money you would likely want to play there. In college you could have just regular students play, could give scholarships to good players to play for you, could pay good players to play for you (payments could be cheating and hidden as am sure many schools do today, NCAA agreement type rules where everyone supposedly pays same, free for all where colleges pay whatever they want to pay in the open, etc.).
Too much money goes to NCAA, coaches and schools related to college basketball and players get the least. NBA likes having college as free training and marketing for themselves and less risky investing in player after 1 year in college vs. out of high school; MLB likes pressure on kids to take lower signing bonuses 'cause they can't change their minds for 3 years.
NCAA has special rules for revenue sports, doesn't that moniker tell you all you need to know about this "indentured service" system.

Reaction Score
Maybe we'd hear a little less "..yeah but they're going to play like that when they're all freshman its tough" from the Squid? Again the other night at halftime he reminded everyone he's coaching freshman while being interviewed. "Thought they played well considering all my guys are freshman.." What a POS.

Reaction Score
Yeah I still think Kentucky and duke will be players for the 5 stars that aren’t league bound, pretty much what’s been happening forever. If you aren’t guaranteed to be a first rounder the pitch to one n done can still be a thing...

Reaction Score
You woke up on the wrong side of the bed, didn't you?
Nope

Maybe Silver recognizes that this has an impact on the entire sport of basketball, and that directly and indirectly impacts the NBA.
My real point is that discussing it with a NCAA committee is fine, but how or why would NCAA input change their course? Why should Silver care about what such an incompetent and impotent administration such as the NCAA thinks about changing the rule? The NCAA doesn’t care about what this will do to the sport; they only care about the lost income, about which Sliver has no inclination to care

What happens to the NBA if the NCAA is against the change, and Silver goes through it anyway?
You don't need to care but the NBA and NFL care as NCCA Basketball & Football are minor league development leagues for the Pros.
Completely different sports. Yes NCAA football is a kind of free D-league for the NFL.

But NCAA MBB is a hype machine for the NBA, nothing more. NBA already has a D-league.

gtcam

Diehard since '65
Reaction Score
There's good and bad with this
With 1 and dones - they make up most of the roster at the Pukes and Kensuckys so the kids that want to stay a few may go to the UConns and other schools.
If they abolish the 1 and dones, those top tier that want to stay a few or 4 will now have Puke and Kensucky as an option and that will push the talent level down for the UConns
But in the end - everything is relevant - isn't it?

Reaction Score
Nope

My real point is that discussing it with a NCAA committee is fine, but how or why would NCAA input change their course? Why should Silver care about what such an incompetent and impotent administration such as the NCAA thinks about changing the rule? The NCAA doesn’t care about what this will do to the sport; they only care about the lost income, about which Sliver has no inclination to care

What happens to the NBA if the NCAA is against the change, and Silver goes through it anyway?

Completely different sports. Yes NCAA football is a kind of free D-league for the NFL.

But NCAA MBB is a hype machine for the NBA, nothing more. NBA already has a D-league.

Most likely nothing.

I just don't understand why this ruffles your feathers so much.

What's the matter with him meeting with them?

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
UChuskman

Top Bottom