One and Done Coming to an End? | Page 3 | The Boneyard

One and Done Coming to an End?

BUConn10

Artist formerly known as BUHusky10
Reaction Score
The rule only saves millions of dollars for NBA owners, besides them no one really benefits from the OAD rule, in fact the NCAA really has no say in it. And for that reason I am very skeptical it will be changed. NBA GMs don't have to risk their careers drafting an unproven high school kid anymore, they can just let Duke and UK deal with him for a year while giving them more opportunities to scout. Don't get your hopes up.

Reaction Score
The rule only saves millions of dollars for NBA owners, besides them no one really benefits from the OAD rule, in fact the NCAA really has no say in it. And for that reason I am very skeptical it will be changed. NBA GMs don't have to risk their careers drafting an unproven high school kid anymore, they can just let Duke and UK deal with him for a year while giving them more opportunities to scout. Don't get your hopes up.

The NBA knows that if this continues, with players like Ben Simmons moaning and whining about "having" to spend a year in college, the NCAA won't be able to maintain college ball's amateur status. And if that goes, the NBA has probably concluded that the whole "farm" system is at risk.

intlzncster

i fart in your general direction
Reaction Score

But the NBA seems committed to having a 'minor league' system now. Given that, the players might be amenable, as it gives guys more of a chance to potentially stick and develop. It's not just an NCAA vs NBA thing. It's probably all going to depend on how the NBA potentially structures a new system.

Last edited:
Reaction Score
But the NBA seems committed to having a 'minor league' system now. Given that, the players might be amenable, as it gives guys more of a chance to potentially stick and develop. It's not just an NCAA vs NBA thing. It's probably all going to depend on how the NBA potentially structure a new system.
I imagine plenty of kids will take a two-way contract, start getting themselves paid right out of high school to support their families a little, and advance per their performance, even if it means going straight to the G league.

Reaction Score
But they won't be able to hoard 15 of the best 25 recruits every year, but rather 7 our 8. It will help redistribute talent a little bit.

What's stopping Duke and Kentucky from just hoarding 15 of the top 25 recruits that end up going to college at that point?

Reaction Score
What's stopping Duke and Kentucky from just hoarding 15 of the top 25 recruits that end up going to college at that point?

Nothing.

But the counter argument is that not all the top recruits will go there because the lanes for playing time will be clogged.

Reaction Score
Nothing.

But the counter argument is that not all the top recruits will go there because the lanes for playing time will be clogged.
Exactly there isn’t a presumed set of 4 open slots for 4 new studs every year

Reaction Score
Nothing.

But there's still going to be plenty of 1 and dones even if they change the NBA rule though. Recent draft history has shown as much. I don't see this rule change having a significant impact on Kentucky/Duke's roster situation.

Reaction Score
Here's my thinking about how it might change Kentucky and Duke - and maybe I'm wrong.

The difference between say 1-10 ranked kids and 11-20 is probably larger than the difference between 11-20 and 20-30.

Point being at some point after the first 10 kids, the difference between the next say 10-50 is not as large and the true value of games is rewarded to the better coaches, rather than just getting the best most ridiculous talent that can still overcome average to below average coaching.

And I'm pointing this toward both Calipari and K. K has had a great career but it seemed before the one and done's he was starting to lose his fastball - certainly in March Madness at least.

I dunno, just a thought.

intlzncster

i fart in your general direction
Reaction Score
Here's my thinking about how it might change Kentucky and Duke - and maybe I'm wrong.

The difference between say 1-10 ranked kids and 11-20 is probably larger than the difference between 11-20 and 20-30.

Point being at some point after the first 10 kids, the difference between the next say 10-50 is not as large and the true value of games is rewarded to the better coaches, rather than just getting the best most ridiculous talent that can still overcome average to below average coaching.

And I'm pointing this toward both Calipari and K. K has had a great career but it seemed before the one and done's he was starting to lose his fastball - certainly in March Madness at least.

I dunno, just a thought.

I agree w much of this. The top 10 or so, the nba kids, are ready to be lead dog college players right out of the gate (or mid season). So a team full of them can take you far come tournament time. The rest of the kids, not so much.

Given that, I do feel it would level the playing field a bit

Reaction Score
I hate the one and done. Let players jump from HS. That said. Duke should be ashamed of itself. Duke is not "State U" as is Kentucky (meh) and yes. UConn. The academic6 bending there is atrocious. And K smiles all the way to the bank.

Reaction Score
Make the scholarship count for all four years, regardless of how long the players stays. Problem solved.
That's an interesting take, I think I like that. Almost serves as a salary cap in a way. A coach can't take on too many studs that he knows will just parachute into campus and bolt within 1-2 years.

willie99

Loving life & enjoying the ride, despite the bumps
Reaction Score
Good, make coaches have to work harder and not always have most of the lottery picks from every draft on their team

Development AND academics (albeit to a lesser extent) will need to be reintroduced to a few schools (academic fraud will also find some new life)

Reaction Score
You are stupid if you think the players association will agree to 3 years
I haven’t finished reading the thread but this is exactly why you talk to the ncaa. They don’t have to negotiate with the players association

the Q

Yowie Wowie. We’re gonna have so much fun here
Reaction Score
Well I would've passed a bar exam by the time I got to college. Very few could stay with me all night back then.:oops:

Don’t get my started on the silly bar exam. Ask a lawyer the last time they didn’t research a major issue for their clients.

the Q

Reaction Score
I haven’t finished reading the thread but this is exactly why you talk to the ncaa. They don’t have to negotiate with the players association

Yes, they do. The draft is a collectively bargained issue that the players would abolish if they were smart. Even Baseball should. Be like the old days (that I wasn’t alive for) When real scouting talent and developing relationships with players mattered. Now you hand off elite talent to incompetent and undeserving tanktastic franchises.

the Q

Reaction Score
But the NBA seems committed to having a 'minor league' system now. Given that, the players might be amenable, as it gives guys more of a chance to potentially stick and develop. It's not just an NCAA vs NBA thing. It's probably all going to depend on how the NBA potentially structures a new system.

NBA needs to step up and offer a real system and path to the NBA with each team having its own g league franchise that it can develop its talent for, just like minor league baseball. Just pay them some real money.

Wordbomar

"Walker on McGee with four.."
Reaction Score
Nothing.

Bingo

pj

Reaction Score
You are stupid if you think the players association will agree to 3 years

Why? In baseball the players' union did. For the pro players, the best arrangement is one that keeps as many top players in college as possible, thereby limiting the competition for pro dollars.

Last edited:

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Sad Tiger

Top Bottom