On to 2019-2020 | Page 3 | The Boneyard

On to 2019-2020

Rico444

In the mix for six
Reaction Score
Are we saying that these recruits aren't better than USF or Tulsa (18 wins)??? I don't believe that for a second, and neither did the national recruiting services when they evaluated them.

Did you watch Sid Wilson this year? He's extremely athletic, but he doesn't have a clue what he's doing on the court yet and he's a terrible shooter. Guys that athletic are always going to be ranked top 100, but aren't always ready to contribute meaningful minutes. And yes, the rest of the guys I mentioned are all sub-100 recruits and they sure look like it.

It takes time to coach up players. Look at Hurley's track record: his record the first two years at Rhode Island was not good. Then he got his guys in, developed them, and turned them into a program that was consistently winning when he left. That was at Rhode Island. Once he gets us up and running, he'll be able to get much better recruits than he was able to over there (actually, Akok is already higher ranked than anybody else he's ever gotten) and we'll be back to being a big-time program.

Reaction Score
You can only improve so much if you have a limited ceiling. 80% of Hurley's roster is MAC level players. Tyler Polley, Eric Cobb, Isaiah Whaley, Sid Wilson, Kwintin Williams, Brendan Adams and Tarin Smith wouldn't get more than 5 minutes a game on any good team.
You're talking to a guy who expected that team to win the AAC this year. He's not really the guy to have a rational basketball discussion with.

And he keeps bringing up South Florida and now Tulsa as if they have a better than 0% chance of making the tournament.

Rico444

In the mix for six
Reaction Score
You're talking to a guy who expected that team to win the AAC this year. He's not really the guy to have a rational basketball discussion with.

And he keeps bringing up South Florida and now Tulsa as if they have a better than 0% chance of making the tournament.

Not to mention we just beat South Florida twice in the past week, lol.

UConnDan97

predicting undefeated seasons since 1983
Reaction Score
Did you watch Sid Wilson this year? He's extremely athletic, but he doesn't have a clue what he's doing on the court yet and he's a terrible shooter. Guys that athletic are always going to be ranked top 100, but aren't always ready to contribute meaningful minutes. And yes, the rest of the guys I mentioned are all sub-100 recruits and they sure look like it.

It takes time to coach up players. Look at Hurley's track record: his record the first two years at Rhode Island was not good. Then he got his guys in, developed them, and turned them into a program that was consistently winning when he left. That was at Rhode Island. Once he gets us up and running, he'll be able to get much better recruits than he was able to over there (actually, Akok is already higher ranked than anybody else he's ever gotten) and we'll be back to being a big-time program.

But that's my point about Wilson. You know the talent is there. Not having a clue should get fixed after 16 months with a coach.

Look, there is no question to me that this roster is not top tier. But there is also no question to me that this team is a 20 win team in this conference. Hell, they may have been 20 wins this year if Jalen doesn't get hurt!

I said multiple times on the BY that Ollie could not afford to miss the NIT twice. There's no reason not to have that standard for Hurley, when considering the program and the current conference...

UConnDan97

Reaction Score

I'd LOVE for you to pull up a quote from me where I said they'd win the AAC. Go ahead, I'll wait. You're complete nonsense...

UConnDan97

Reaction Score
Not to mention we just beat South Florida twice in the past week, lol.

And lost to them too. And finished behind them in the conference standings. But you know...

Reaction Score
I'd LOVE for you to pull up a quote from me where I said they'd win the AAC. Go ahead, I'll wait. You're complete nonsense...
This is where I'm at also. I was very excited about Akinjo, Matthews, and Kisunas. And I'm currently very excited about Adams and Smith.

I believed that we would be in the hunt for the conference title this year with Ollie and an extra year for the entire team + Sid Wilson and new recruits. I now believe that we will be in the hunt for a conference title this year with Hurley + the extra year, Wilson, and recruits.

People come and go. UConn is forever...

Rico444

In the mix for six
Reaction Score
But that's my point about Wilson. You know the talent is there. Not having a clue should get fixed after 16 months with a coach.

1) Hurley has been here 12 months.
2) Coaches have very limited time with the players over the summer. He's essentially been coaching him up for 6 months, not 16.

Look, there is no question to me that this roster is not top tier. But there is also no question to me that this team is a 20 win team in this conference. Hell, they may have been 20 wins this year if Jalen doesn't get hurt!

If Jalen and Alterique didn't get hurt we probably get to 20 wins...outside of them and Carlton, though, the rest of the players aren't good enough to hang with good teams.

I said multiple times on the BY that Ollie could not afford to miss the NIT twice. There's no reason not to have that standard for Hurley, when considering the program and the current conference...

Ollie was the one that brought in these players, that's why two non-postseason years in a row are so damning. Let Hurley bring in his own guys and work with the players he had forced on him for more than 6 months...I guarantee you next year will look better than this. I don't care if you're Jim Calhoun; no coach can survive coaching up a team full of players that aren't that talented - and he didn't even recruit - AND have your two best players get hurt and miss multiple games. Every single coach in America is going to struggle in that situation.

Reaction Score
Our front court is abysmal. Think about how bad we would have been without Josh having a huge jump the second half of the year.

You can’t win in college without a big time front court. Either a rim protector, post player, or both.

Next year, we’ll have both.

Reaction Score
Our front court is abysmal. Think about how bad we would have been without Josh having a huge jump the second half of the year.

You can’t win in college without a big time front court. Either a rim protector, post player, or both.

Next year, we’ll have both.
The front court will be better next year with more improvement from Carlton and Akok. Add in a good backup grad center 5 and we are on the way.

UConnDan97

Reaction Score

I believe we'd be in the hunt apparently means I said we'd win it. Cool stuff bro. And until Jalen went down and we went on a 1-7 skid, that was still true. But when you lose Alterique and Jalen for significant time each, you can't stay in the hunt...

UConnDan97

Reaction Score
1)
If Jalen and Alterique didn't get hurt we probably get to 20 wins...

Absolutely! I agree with you completely. And that's my point. Alterique comes back, along with other talented new recruits and players who are growing into their roles like Carlton and Polley. It's hard for me to even fathom how this board now thinks the NIT is a bridge too far. If that's what you guys think, I'm clearly not going to change that opinion so I'll stop trying...

Reaction Score
I believe we'd be in the hunt apparently means I said we'd win it. Cool stuff bro. And until Jalen went down and we went on a 1-7 skid, that was still true. But when you lose Alterique and Jalen for significant time each, you can't stay in the hunt...
Jeezus, you're insane. We had a chance to win the conference before Jalen got hurt?!?? Lulz.

Rico444

In the mix for six
Reaction Score
Absolutely! I agree with you completely. And that's my point. Alterique comes back, along with other talented new recruits and players who are growing into their roles like Carlton and Polley. It's hard for me to even fathom how this board now thinks the NIT is a bridge too far. If that's what you guys think, I'm clearly not going to change that opinion so I'll stop trying...

Who is saying the NIT is unrealistic for next year? If Alterique stays healthy I think we have a great shot to get there, and maybe even an outside chance at the NCAAs. The problem is you can't pencil Gilbert in for a full season.

Gaffney, Bouknight and Akok are all very talented, but all will have some growing pains for sure (like most freshman). I expect them to make the team better, but even Jeremy Lamb barely played his freshman year until conference play started. It's going to take some time there, but I would be stunned if top to bottom the roster wasn't better next year. If Gilbert gets hurt and misses time again, we probably don't make a postseason run. Both of those last two statements can be true though.

olehead

Atomic Dogs!
Reaction Score
On our current roster, we had 3 guys who were ranked in the top 100 (looking at ESPN) for their recruiting classes. All of those players (J Adams, A Gilbert, M Diarra) missed at least 7 games with injuries this year and one player barely played at all. We have 3 top 100 recruits coming in next year and hopefully more on the way for years to come. The cupboard was bare, but I believe Hurley can restock and bring us back. Tough loss today, but while depression has set in that we wont be able to redeem ourselves for 9 months, I am confident we will be much better next year.

Trust The Process. Trust In Hurley.
Wilson was also top 100.

UConnDan97

Reaction Score
Who is saying the NIT is unrealistic for next year? If Alterique stays healthy I think we have a great shot to get there, and maybe even an outside chance at the NCAAs.

That's what we've been talking about the entire time. So what exactly are you arguing with me for??? Of course if players get injured then all bets are off. That's true of any team in any year...

Rico444

In the mix for six
Reaction Score
That's what we've been talking about the entire time. So what exactly are you arguing with me for??? Of course if players get injured then all bets are off. That's true of any team in any year...

Well, this was the quote I was originally arguing against...

Nah.

The proposed goal was a 50/50 at a tourney bid. Next year is year 2. With multiple upperclassmen having already had a full year in his system, along with Akok having a semester with him.

If he isn't good enough in year 2 to give us a coin flip chance at a tourney bid, he's not the right one. Period.

Big difference from "good enough to make the NIT."

UConnDan97

Reaction Score
Well, this was the quote I was originally arguing against...

Big difference from "good enough to make the NIT."

"Good enough to make the NIT" is a big difference from "we have a great chance to make the NIT"...

Rico444

In the mix for six
Reaction Score
"Good enough to make the NIT" is a big difference from "we have a great chance to make the NIT"...

What are you talking about? You flat out said if Hurley doesn't get us close to the NCAAs next year that he's not the right coach for our program, "period." Are you changing your mind on that?

I think if the team stays relatively healthy next year we should absolutely be in the NIT, maybe even NCAAs if things go well. I don't think we have a great chance of that happening with Gilbert's injury history and the fact that he's our leader and point guard.

hardcorehusky

Lost patience with the garden variety UConn fan
Reaction Score
This year's team had flaws. Physically we were undersized. Mentally, we played hard but not smart. Chemistry is huge- Jalen, CV and Alterique for all their individual talent did not mesh well. Too many turnovers and stupid shot selection. Cutting down on turnovers and hitting more free throws would have yielded a few more wins.

But moving on to next year, Polley is a stretch 4 but does not do enough of the other things to be a top flight 4. Think De Andre Daniels - DD could hit the 3- drive to the basket but he also could get 10 rebounds a game. Polley has to get stronger and want to rebound. Akok is a rim protector but will need to get stronger to help in rebounding. Carlton needs to get stronger but he needs a second person in the paint to help him rebound. And it isn't a 6'1" guard. He has taken a big leap and the next step is consistency.

Wilson has the physical ability and it is alarming that after sitting for a year, he had so little basketball knowledge. He would be more effective in a pressing style up and down game. He has lots of work to do and hopefully will apply himself to meet Hurley's standards.

Whaley and Diarra are not physically able to make it at this level(and I am talking Championship).

From a guard perspective, Gaffney and Bouknight are freshmen, It is hard for freshmen to take over unless they are really really special. But they will get opportunities. I am not sold on Brendan Adams - I trust Hurley but I did not see much improvement from him.

Alterique is the X factor. Outside of staying healthy, he has to learn how to run an offense as opposed to getting his shots. Drives down the lane are designed to disrupt a defense, not create degree of difficulty shots. I think Hurley can help him meld his game to what Hurley wants.

We need another big or 2 and a legit 3 in my estimation for next year. Precious a JUCO and a grad transfer would work. If CV leaves, then another guard.

My hope next year is a more up tempo team that presses, turns people over for easy baskets but the half court offense will be ugly to watch. Just cut down on turnovers and shoot free throws better and the win total will increase. I think NIT next year and then NCAA's from there out.

UConnDan97

Reaction Score
What are you talking about? You flat out said if Hurley doesn't get us close to the NCAAs next year that he's not the right coach for our program, "period." Are you changing your mind on that?

I think if the team stays relatively healthy next year we should absolutely be in the NIT, maybe even NCAAs if things go well. I don't think we have a great chance of that happening with Gilbert's injury history and the fact that he's our leader and point guard.

Yes I said that. I was commenting on what you said. And we're both saying the same thing. And you continue to argue with nobody. This team should absolutely make the NIT next year. Period.

Reaction Score
It's way too early to be setting any sort of expectations. We don't even know who will be on the roster, nevermind how good some of them will be.
There will be more roster attrition beyond graduating players. This is almost certain.

Rico444

In the mix for six
Reaction Score
Yes I said that. I was commenting on what you said. And we're both saying the same thing. And you continue to argue with nobody. This team should absolutely make the NIT next year. Period.

We are not saying the same thing at all. I'm not saying Hurley needs to make us a bubble team next year or he's not the right guy to lead the program, you're the only one saying that.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
CJasmer

Top Bottom