On to 2019-2020 | Page 5 | The Boneyard

On to 2019-2020

the Q

Yowie Wowie. We’re gonna have so much fun here
Reaction Score
You can only improve so much if you have a limited ceiling. 80% of Hurley's roster is MAC level players. Tyler Polley, Eric Cobb, Isaiah Whaley, Sid Wilson, Kwintin Williams, Brendan Adams and Tarin Smith wouldn't get more than 5 minutes a game on any good team.

The good news is at least 3 of those guys won’t be back next year. The others slide way down the depth chart just with the new recruits. Forget the one extra spot they have.

the Q

Yowie Wowie. We’re gonna have so much fun here
Reaction Score
I was operating on the assumption we'll have two. But yes, a backup center, preferably a bruiser, it's priority 1.

And I'm writing Precious off as of this moment. Who knows, maybe a miracle occurs, but I'm not banking on it.

Still though, without a primary ball handler in MCBB, you're dead in the water.

What kind of guard are you getting to sit behind Gaffney and Gilbert?

ClifSpliffy

surf's up
Reaction Score
I think both of you guys went to extremes. It's a decent front court. Young with Akok, and as you said, limited depth. Also, let's not make Carlton out to be the second coming of Ewing. I was very surprised at his strides this year, but he's still more of a role player, than a feature guy.

For instance, Wiseman at Memphis will likely abuse Carlton next year.
look man, give it a rest with the carlton thing already. u seem like a nice person (except for that flatulence thing,lol) but the miss on jc is getting old. clearly almost alone here, at least with the chattering class, (tho im bettin that more than a few of the folks at home understand) I've extolled his obvious talent. the reason is simply to give a heads up, as in 'watch this guy and expect good things, cuz he good.' with J2 comin (playa fo sho) and the rest under coach, good times ahead. how'd I do? let's see;
AAC coaches select UConn's Carlton as most improved player

StepbackCity

I like winning
Reaction Score
I think both of you guys went to extremes. It's a decent front court. Young with Akok, and as you said, limited depth. Also, let's not make Carlton out to be the second coming of Ewing. I was very surprised at his strides this year, but he's still more of a role player, than a feature guy.

For instance, Wiseman at Memphis will likely abuse Carlton next year.
I don’t think you are understanding that regardless of how old Akok is, he is SERIOUSLY the best player on the team already and a high level NBA prospect. He’s been dominating in practice.

No one has even alluded to Carlton being like Ewing, and saying Wiseman will abuse him means nothing. Wiseman is the best high school kid in the country. Carlton had a solid season this year and will be great with a full offseason with the staff.

Reaction Score
We are so conditioned to no player development because of the prior regime. These guys are going to get better. The work coach hunter did with Josh this yr was incredible. You can expect guys like sid and Brendan Adams to also improve. Vital staying would be huge imo. I believe we could really see him blossom next yr with another yr under Hurley. Health is my only concern with rique. We should have a lot of hope for next yr because we have a staff that specializes in player development. Hurley and staff are up to the task. The guys we have returning and the talent we bring in will give us good times next season. I truly am confident in that. Trust The Process
I can't like this post enough. This was Ollie's biggest weakness and is probably Hurley's biggest strength along with his ability to recruit.

We saw how much Josh improved in season. Give him a full off season with Coach Hunter and Sal, and you will see even more improvement.

I expect Sid to be improved next year. @husky429 already noticed he was shooting the ball differently at the end of the year. He is another guy who needs to live in the weight room.

Another big factor. Once Gilbert heals from the concussion and facial injuries, he will have a normal offseason for the first time since he was a junior in high school.

Doctor Hoop

Prescribing Hardwood Excellence
Reaction Score
I can't like this post enough. This was Ollie's biggest weakness and is probably Hurley's biggest strength along with his ability to recruit.

We saw how much Josh improved in season. Give him a full off season with Coach Hunter and Sal, and you will see even more improvement.

I expect Sid to be improved next year. @husky429 already noticed he was shooting the ball differently at the end of the year. He is another guy who needs to live in the weight room.

Another big factor. Once Gilbert heals from the concussion and facial injuries, he will have a normal offseason for the first time since he was a junior in high school.
We do seem to be conditioned to no player development, and I’ve repeatedly noted on this board that many players have potential based on athletic ability, and then a ceiling of the best they can be with hard work on conditioning and skills, and good coaching/teaching.

That ceiling is lower for some than for others, but I’ve seen enough guys with low rankings be players that coaches have to identify who to give a chance. It’s up to coaches to recognize the tools and the desire. Corey Davis killed us yesterday. Unranked, 1 scholly offer - Houston. Gordon Hayward was unranked, but look what Brad Stevens turned him into.

Reaction Score
We do seem to be conditioned to no player development, and I’ve repeatedly noted on this board that many players have potential based on athletic ability, and then a ceiling of the best they can be with hard work on conditioning and skills, and good coaching/teaching.

That ceiling is lower for some than for others, but I’ve seen enough guys with low rankings be players that coaches have to identify who to give a chance. It’s up to coaches to recognize the tools and the desire. Corey Davis killed us yesterday. Unranked, 1 scholly offer - Houston. Gordon Hayward was unranked, but look what Brad Stevens turned him into.
CJ Massinburg...One offer Prairie View A&M. Something like that.

Last edited:

intlzncster

i fart in your general direction
Reaction Score

All true, but that assumes these kids were identified ahead of time. Hurley is cooking with groceries he didn't select. It's not like every 3star can become a stud.

That said, I'm excited to see what Hurley can do with these guys a full year in.

intlzncster

i fart in your general direction
Reaction Score
I don’t think you are understanding that regardless of how old Akok is, he is SERIOUSLY the best player on the team already and a high level NBA prospect. He’s been dominating in practice.

No one has even alluded to Carlton being like Ewing, and saying Wiseman will abuse him means nothing. Wiseman is the best high school kid in the country. Carlton had a solid season this year and will be great with a full offseason with the staff.

Akok is not the best player on the floor right now. I'd lay significant money on that. He's still raw.

We've heard 'dominating practice' a lot over the years. The most notable was Ajouk, and he ended up transferring pretty quick. Purvis was a Ferrari.

And remember, Akok is also going against also-ran post players in the practice. He should be better.

Not that it matters much, but Gilbert was higher rated iirc. And a McDonald's kid.

Carlton will be decent, but not great. Again, to be the most dominating front court, you gotta have studs.

Reaction Score
Remember: Perhaps the greatest coach in college basketball ever, JC, took about a decade to consistently get good teams.
Granted his hill was a higher climb.
Give Hurley a full recruiting cycle, 4 years, before you start calling for his scalp!
(No offense meant towards our very own Chief)

polycom

I heard a beep, who just joined?
Reaction Score
This thread is disturbing. 1 person suggesting tourney or hot seat(what in the world) 1 person saying we have a top front court in the AAC( didn’t know Zion Williamson is playing for us next year) a bunch of people trying to explain how building a program works. Player development happens with players with a high basketball IQ, the idea that SID doesn’t know the plays still isn’t one of the signs he knows the plays.

Last edited:
Reaction Score
Just saw a FB post from someone at the Windsor-East Catholic game that Hurley is in attendance lol, so much for taking the weekend off. The guy really has upper, upper echelon coaching makeup.

Reaction Score
Did you watch Sid Wilson this year? He's extremely athletic, but he doesn't have a clue what he's doing on the court yet and he's a terrible shooter. Guys that athletic are always going to be ranked top 100, but aren't always ready to contribute meaningful minutes. And yes, the rest of the guys I mentioned are all sub-100 recruits and they sure look like it.

It takes time to coach up players. Look at Hurley's track record: his record the first two years at Rhode Island was not good. Then he got his guys in, developed them, and turned them into a program that was consistently winning when he left. That was at Rhode Island. Once he gets us up and running, he'll be able to get much better recruits than he was able to over there (actually, Akok is already higher ranked than anybody else he's ever gotten) and we'll be back to being a big-time program.

Wilson was vastly overrated coming in, no excuse for a guy of that caliber to be that clueless on the court. He was KO's type -- skinny, tall-ish wing with good athleticism but little skill or ability to fit into a team concept (e.g. Larrier).

I wouldn't be surprised if his minutes actually go down, rather than up, as his career goes along as Hurley gets more of his players in the program.

Our best lineup next year may very well include 2 freshmen.

Reaction Score
Seriously, we are at the base of Everest looking up. Right now we are halfway up to basecamp.

Reaction Score
Seriously, we are at the base of Everest looking up. Right now we are halfway up to basecamp.

Reaction Score
We are so conditioned to no player development because of the prior regime. These guys are going to get better. The work coach hunter did with Josh this yr was incredible. You can expect guys like sid and Brendan Adams to also improve. Vital staying would be huge imo. I believe we could really see him blossom next yr with another yr under Hurley. Health is my only concern with rique. We should have a lot of hope for next yr because we have a staff that specializes in player development. Hurley and staff are up to the task. The guys we have returning and the talent we bring in will give us good times next season. I truly am confident in that. Trust The Process

I think this is close on the player development side of things, but with one caveat -- the improvement is dependent on guys having the requisite basketball IQ to have the coaching stick.

Carlton clearly has it. Gilbert I would expect to improve. Brendan Adams, possibly. Polley, perhaps, though he also needs to get a lot tougher.

Others? Who knows.

Reaction Score
We need to be in contention next year as a top 4 seed in the conference. Penny came in year 1 brought a couple of good recruits in by the way, and had Memphis playing respectably finishing as a 5 seed.

I like Hurley, his passion, and his methodical plan for our program. We need to be at around 20 wins next year. More than anything we have had a lack of leadership from our best player. I expect improvement from Vital, Polley, Sid, and Carlton. The freshmen are good enough to contribute. Rique is more serious than Jalen, and a lot will depend on what kind of offseason leap he takes.

Starting lineup: Gilbert, Vital, Bouknight, Akok, Carlton.

Reaction Score
Yoda said it best. Do or Do not. Their are no moral victories. Or the we are showing improvement nonsense

Reaction Score
Akok is not the best player on the floor right now. I'd lay significant money on that. He's still raw.

We've heard 'dominating practice' a lot over the years. The most notable was Ajouk, and he ended up transferring pretty quick. Purvis was a Ferrari.

And remember, Akok is also going against also-ran post players in the practice. He should be better.

Not that it matters much, but Gilbert was higher rated iirc. And a McDonald's kid.

Carlton will be decent, but not great. Again, to be the most dominating front court, you gotta have studs.
We dont need a dominatinf front court to win. Just remember, in 2014 we won 32 games and the National Championship with Phil Nolan, a Fr Brimah, and Tyler Olander down below. I think we just need our front court to be a little better than average that has a high IQ, keep the rebounding margin at least even, and makes few mistakes...shooting 75% from the free throw line would be nice too. I cant wait to see what Carlton does next year with a full off season to improve his skills and spend lots of time in the weight room, same goes for Akok. If we can land a Shonn Miller type grad transfer, that would be like hitting the lottery to go along with what we have.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
deltaop99

Top Bottom