On to 2019-2020 | Page 2 | The Boneyard

On to 2019-2020

UConnDan97

predicting undefeated seasons since 1983
Reaction Score
I know I’m in the minority with this opinion, but I really do think there might be enough next year already to be 50-50 on earning a tourney bid (NCAA not NIT). I expect the three freshman - Akok, Gaffney and Bouknight - to be in the rotation and contributing immediately. I expect strength work with Polley, Whaley, Wilson and Carlton that will help them rebounding and defending and finishing inside. I expect a lot of shooting work, Adams, Wilson, Polley, Akok, so they all are less streaky and better from 3, and learn to catch ready to shoot. And I expect them to all be much more fit with 7 months to build their conditioning.

If you're in the minority, then I must be in the super minority by saying that if we aren't better than 50/50 toward an NCAA bid next year, then we have the wrong coach...

Reaction Score
Hurley plays 4 out, Whaley and Diarra aren’t playing the 4(if they’re still on the team). The 4 spot is going to be a competition between Akok and Polley with Wilson getting some minutes.

I think we’ve found out Polley/Wilson aren’t going to cut it at the 4. They are both built like skeletons. They cannot matchup against the bigs on good teams. The 3 is where both should play, MAYBE with Polley seeing time at the 4 against small teams. To start give me Gilbert, CV, Sid, Akok, and Carlton.

Reaction Score
I’d start akok and bouknight over Wilson and polley in a heartbeat. I don’t care if they are juniors in high school. Unless Wilson and polley drastically improve, we re going to be in trouble if either one of those dudes-god forbid both- are starting next year .

Reaction Score
I know I’m in the minority with this opinion, but I really do think there might be enough next year already to be 50-50 on earning a tourney bid (NCAA not NIT). I expect the three freshman - Akok, Gaffney and Bouknight - to be in the rotation and contributing immediately. I expect strength work with Polley, Whaley, Wilson and Carlton that will help them rebounding and defending and finishing inside. I expect a lot of shooting work, Adams, Wilson, Polley, Akok, so they all are less streaky and better from 3, and learn to catch ready to shoot. And I expect them to all be much more fit with 7 months to build their conditioning.

I have no idea what to think about Diarra. And if someone can guarantee me that Gilbert stays healthy that would help. But I think there’s enough to work with to be top 5 in the AAC and on the cusp of an invite. I want more talent, especially Achiuwa, and another big for depth, so keep grinding. But even without I’m not as down on the chances as some here seem to be.
If everything goes right, yeah. There's certainly enough potential

Reaction Score

I have no idea what to think about Diarra. And if someone can guarantee me that Gilbert stays healthy that would help. But I think there’s enough to work with to be top 5 in the AAC and on the cusp of an invite. I want more talent, especially Achiuwa, and another big for depth, so keep grinding. But even without I’m not as down on the chances as some here seem to be.

I'm with you. I also think we're underrating Hurley's impact. The guy does have a track record, after all. The returnees will have had a year in his system. With good coaching, players improve from year to year. And the new guys will be blank slates for him to mold.

Losing spirals. What these guys need more than anything is confidence in their ability to win. There were a number of conference games this year that were there for the taking, but we failed to make crucial winning plays with 3, 4, 5 minutes left and often affirmatively shot ourselves in the foot. Coming down the stretch of those games, I didn't believe we were going to win and I got the feeling the team felt the same way. I am hopeful that new blood in the backcourt, under Hurley's tutelage from day 1, can change that mindset.

I don't think we'll be Top 25 next year, but I do believe that we'll be significantly better.

SwingDog

"THIS is the life you have"
Reaction Score
I'm with you. I also think we're underrating Hurley's impact. The guy does have a track record, after all. The returnees will have had a year in his system. With good coaching, players improve from year to year. And the new guys will be blank slates for him to mold.

Losing spirals. What these guys need more than anything is confidence in their ability to win. There were a number of conference games this year that were there for the taking, but we failed to make crucial winning plays with 3, 4, 5 minutes left and often affirmatively shot ourselves in the foot. Coming down the stretch of those games, I didn't believe we were going to win and I got the feeling the team felt the same way. I am hopeful that new blood in the backcourt, under Hurley's tutelage from day 1, can change that mindset.

I don't think we'll be Top 25 next year, but I do believe that we'll be significantly better.
Good forward looking analysis from selles and Doctor Hoop. I think there is reasonable expectation that we will improve, despite losing Jalen Adams, and hopefully some of those games where the W/L hung in the balance in the last few minutes and became an L will become W's next season. We lost 11 games by 8 points or less, including losses to Cincinnati by 2 and 4 points respectively.

Reaction Score
I’m optimistic for what is to come because this year I saw something I hadn’t seen in a few years. I saw players improving. Carlton is the obvious case. And how long has it been since we’ve seen a big make this much progress? But Polley improved as well. So did Vital. AG improved too.

And the fact that our players are developing means we should be able to expect better play next year. I haven’t expected that the last few years. I hoped that some long shot top tier recruit was going to come in to improve play. And that was my only hope. So, as long as Coach Hurley keeps the trend line on the guys we get going in the right direction, I’m going to remain optimistic - and that’s not something I do easily.

Reaction Score
You're the guy telling it like it is. Without one or two additional players that can make an impact next year (post players preferably), our improvement will be minimal. I don't know how good Akok, Gafney and Bouknight are... but to improve the team they will have to be able to score. We have minimal offense right now with Jalen gone.
Imagine this years team. But thinner for next year. AA is the thinnest guy I have seen as brimah at least had some shoulder width(no meat). Cobb our biggest body is gone. Jalen and Tarin are beasts compared to what we have coming in and if vital is gone forget about it.

Reaction Score
Imagine this years team. But thinner for next year. AA is the thinnest guy I have seen as brimah at least had some shoulder width(no meat). Cobb our biggest body is gone. Jalen and Tarin are beasts compared to what we have coming in and if vital is gone forget about it.
Thats where I think losing out on Kofi Cockburn will hurt. One of the biggest criticisims over past 5 years has been that we cannot recruit strong big guys. Every big guy and player for the matter is a string bean. Thats why Hurley brought in Sal Alosi as our new strength coach. Sometimes our front court would be getting so out muscled that you would wonder if theres anybody thats big enough who can just simply push some people around down below and grab a few rebounds.

intlzncster

i fart in your general direction
Reaction Score
If you're in the minority, then I must be in the super minority by saying that if we aren't better than 50/50 toward an NCAA bid next year, then we have the wrong coach...

You are. These things always take longer than you think. We are getting some more talent next year. But we lose our best player. And the young guys are green.

The guys we have will improve, but they are mostly not great players anyway, so....

Tempered.

Reaction Score
I'm always optimistic but there are major holes to be filled next year. The biggest is finding a real leader who will demand more from his teammates.

Reaction Score
I’ll reserve judgement until the roster is settled, but I’m confident that those who stay will be better in November than they are today.

JC and SW in particular can make major strides if they take the S&C program seriously.

UConnDan97

Reaction Score
You are. These things always take longer than you think. We are getting some more talent next year. But we lose our best player. And the young guys are green.

The guys we have will improve, but they are mostly not great players anyway, so....

Tempered.

Nah.

The proposed goal was a 50/50 at a tourney bid. Next year is year 2. With multiple upperclassmen having already had a full year in his system, along with Akok having a semester with him.

If he isn't good enough in year 2 to give us a coin flip chance at a tourney bid, he's not the right one. Period.

intlzncster

i fart in your general direction
Reaction Score
Nah.

The proposed goal was a 50/50 at a tourney bid. Next year is year 2. With multiple upperclassmen having already had a full year in his system, along with Akok having a semester with him.

If he isn't good enough in year 2 to give us a coin flip chance at a tourney bid, he's not the right one. Period.

When you look at other (tournament) teams and realize only 1 or 2 of your guys could play for them, that should tell you something.

We'll need about 3 to 4 guys to make Kemba Walker (So to Jr) leaps.

Reaction Score
This is a silly post, why would we be imagining this years team when it will be a different team?

Cobb won't be missed. The three guys we have coming in are a drastic upgrade athletically and talent wise. This is really the thinnest guy you've ever seen?
Akok-Uconn.jpeg

Reaction Score
Hate to be that guy but we need to add 2-3 immediate impact players to that roster or we’ll be bottom half of the AAC again.
Thank you. I am not as bullish as others on our recruiting class. Players in the 80’s usually are not impact players the first year. And Akok ad a 4? Let’s see how his 185 lbs fare against Houston, Cinn and other quality teams. More than anything we need muscle and toughness.

Reaction Score
I’d start akok and bouknight over Wilson and polley in a heartbeat. I don’t care if they are juniors in high school. Unless Wilson and polley drastically improve, we re going to be in trouble if either one of those dudes-god forbid both- are starting next year .
Ever see these guys play?

UConnDan97

Reaction Score
You're replying to one of the biggest Ollie sycophants, he hasn't exactly afforded Hurley the same leeway he did Ollie.

You're a clown.

I'm offering Hurley the exact same treatment I offered Ollie. It wasn't acceptable for Ollie to miss post season play twice in a row, even after the defections and the injuries. It's not acceptable for Hurley either.

We're talking about a 50/50 chance at a bid. I'm watching teams like South Florida rack up 19 wins, and yet I have to hear how UConn needs at least 2 more years? We should see more improvement from Carlton, Vital, Polley, Wilson, B Adams, Gilbert, etc. And all that isn't even factoring in the new folks like Akok who by all accounts looks like our best player in practice. It has very little to do with Ollie...

Rico444

In the mix for six
Reaction Score
You're a clown.

I'm offering Hurley the exact same treatment I offered Ollie. It wasn't acceptable for Ollie to miss post season play twice in a row, even after the defections and the injuries. It's not acceptable for Hurley either.

We're talking about a 50/50 chance at a bid. I'm watching teams like South Florida rack up 19 wins, and yet I have to hear how UConn needs at least 2 more years? We should see more improvement from Carlton, Vital, Polley, Wilson, B Adams, Gilbert, etc. And all that isn't even factoring in the new folks like Akok who by all accounts looks like our best player in practice. It has very little to do with Ollie...

You can only improve so much if you have a limited ceiling. 80% of Hurley's roster is MAC level players. Tyler Polley, Eric Cobb, Isaiah Whaley, Sid Wilson, Kwintin Williams, Brendan Adams and Tarin Smith wouldn't get more than 5 minutes a game on any good team.

Reaction Score
You can only improve so much if you have a limited ceiling. 80% of Hurley's roster is MAC level players. Tyler Polley, Eric Cobb, Isaiah Whaley, Sid Wilson, Kwintin Williams, Brendan Adams and Tarin Smith wouldn't get more than 5 minutes a game on any good team.
The only players worth keeping going forward on this team are Gilbert, Vital, and Carlton. Polley and Wilson are still young but they look like they are 2 years away from being where we want them to be. Hopefully Bouk, Akok, and Gaffney are as good as advertised.

UConnDan97

Reaction Score

Are we saying that these recruits aren't better than USF or Tulsa (18 wins)??? I don't believe that for a second, and neither did the national recruiting services when they evaluated them.

Furthermore, the question was a 50/50 to an NCAA bid, which means we are really talking about being locked in for the NIT. That's what we're saying here. If the expectation is that we can't make the NIT in year two, then what the heck are we doing here???

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
CJasmer

Top Bottom