On to 2019-2020 | The Boneyard

On to 2019-2020

Reaction Score
On our current roster, we had 3 guys who were ranked in the top 100 (looking at ESPN) for their recruiting classes. All of those players (J Adams, A Gilbert, M Diarra) missed at least 7 games with injuries this year and one player barely played at all. We have 3 top 100 recruits coming in next year and hopefully more on the way for years to come. The cupboard was bare, but I believe Hurley can restock and bring us back. Tough loss today, but while depression has set in that we wont be able to redeem ourselves for 9 months, I am confident we will be much better next year.

Trust The Process. Trust In Hurley.

Last edited:
Reaction Score
Yeah, that's all we can do at this point and pray to the basketball gods that Precious decides to come here with some good JUCO talent.

Last year was probably the lowest level I have seen this program since the Dom Perno days and the first two years of Calhoun's tenure. This program has really fallen into a ditch, but I feel good about Hurley rebuilding it and I think this year was good considering all the injuries and the debris from Kevin Ollie's coaching. I was expecting a NIT bid at the beginning of the year, and I think we would have gotten that if not for Jalen's injury in early February.

Reaction Score
PG: Gilbert, Gaffney
SG: Vital, Bouknight, B. Adams
SF: Wilson, Polley
PF: Whaley, Diarra, Akok
C: Carlton

There are pieces to work with....the work starts today
Substitute bouknight for Wilson as we need a better 3 who can score. They are basically the same height. Wilson would have to improve drastically to deserve to start next year.

UConnSwag11

Storrs, CT The Mecca
Reaction Score

Gilbert, Bouknight, Wilson, Akok, Carlton.

We need more depth. At least one more true PG, a wing and a very talented big man (would like two big men but we'll see if people leave)

Reaction Score
On our current roster, we had 3 guys who were ranked in the top 100 (looking at ESPN) for their recruiting classes. All of those players (J Adams, A Gilbert, M Diarra) missed at least 7 games with injuries this year and one player barely played at all. We have 3 top 100 recruits coming in next year and hopefully more on the way for years to come. The cupboard was bare, but I believe Hurley can restock and bring us back. Tough loss today, but while depression has set in that we wont be able to redeem ourselves for 9 months, I am confident we will be much better next year.

Trust The Process. Trust In Hurley.
Do we have another choice?

Reaction Score
Add a solid big and they'll have enough talent to scare teams again. That was never the case this year.

zepfan

I'll make it.
Reaction Score
Hate to be that guy but we need to add 2-3 immediate impact players to that roster or we’ll be bottom half of the AAC again.
You're the guy telling it like it is. Without one or two additional players that can make an impact next year (post players preferably), our improvement will be minimal. I don't know how good Akok, Gafney and Bouknight are... but to improve the team they will have to be able to score. We have minimal offense right now with Jalen gone.

Reaction Score
we need more than a big, we need solid impact players to start along with AG. JC, CV and everyone else should all be coming off the bench.

Reaction Score
Hate to be that guy but we need to add 2-3 immediate impact players to that roster or we’ll be bottom half of the AAC again.

I agree we need more to be competitive again nationally. But I’m just saying we have some guys to work with. I’m hoping Gilbert, Vital, and Carlton will combine for 40 points a game. After that who knows.

Reaction Score
I agree. Without Precious we will not be much better next year. Although Jalen disappointed us in some games this year I don't see a replacement in these freshman. Get us into the Tourney.

ClifSpliffy

surf's up
Reaction Score
when the game ended and the teams hit the cyalater-bye line, the housy coach stopped, patted josh on the chest, and said something to him. i'm guessing it was like 'you good, you really good, and gonna be even better.' yeppers, the sophomore emerging star center is on our team. this was a good season for it being entertaining, with more than a few opportunities to have some optimism, all things considered, especially the new coach thing. now that the picture is settled, next season looks really, really good. hmmm, ag, sid, gaffney, akok, supersub cv, and mr. C? with book, polley, whaley, adams, and a 7 foot juco guy? noice. thanks 18-19 huskydudes, it was fun. did I say really good next season?

UconnU

If he blocks 100, he blocks 100
Reaction Score

Hurley plays 4 out, Whaley and Diarra aren’t playing the 4(if they’re still on the team). The 4 spot is going to be a competition between Akok and Polley with Wilson getting some minutes.

Doctor Hoop

Prescribing Hardwood Excellence
Reaction Score
I know I’m in the minority with this opinion, but I really do think there might be enough next year already to be 50-50 on earning a tourney bid (NCAA not NIT). I expect the three freshman - Akok, Gaffney and Bouknight - to be in the rotation and contributing immediately. I expect strength work with Polley, Whaley, Wilson and Carlton that will help them rebounding and defending and finishing inside. I expect a lot of shooting work, Adams, Wilson, Polley, Akok, so they all are less streaky and better from 3, and learn to catch ready to shoot. And I expect them to all be much more fit with 7 months to build their conditioning.

I have no idea what to think about Diarra. And if someone can guarantee me that Gilbert stays healthy that would help. But I think there’s enough to work with to be top 5 in the AAC and on the cusp of an invite. I want more talent, especially Achiuwa, and another big for depth, so keep grinding. But even without I’m not as down on the chances as some here seem to be.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
deltaop99

Top Bottom