On to 2019-2020 | Page 6 | The Boneyard

On to 2019-2020

intlzncster

i fart in your general direction
Reaction Score
We dont need a dominatinf front court to win. Just remember, in 2014 we won 32 games and the National Championship with Phil Nolan, a Fr Brimah, and Tyler Olander down below. I think we just need our front court to be a little better than average that has a high IQ, keep the rebounding margin at least even, and makes few mistakes...shooting 75% from the free throw line would be nice too. I cant wait to see what Carlton does next year with a full off season to improve his skills and spend lots of time in the weight room, same goes for Akok. If we can land a Shonn Miller type grad transfer, that would be like hitting the lottery to go along with what we have.

You're right, we don't need a dominant front court. But we'd like more than passable. And to be that, we're gonna need more than we have. Depth is severely lacking at the moment.

Not for nothing, but in 2014, our 4 was mostly DeAndre Daniels, so really, our center spot was manned by the 3 guys you mentioned. We don't have anyone of DD's caliber there next year (they may eventually surpass him, but likely not next year). Nor do we have the best guard in America.

Reaction Score
We dont need a dominatinf front court to win. Just remember, in 2014 we won 32 games and the National Championship with Phil Nolan, a Fr Brimah, and Tyler Olander down below. I think we just need our front court to be a little better than average that has a high IQ, keep the rebounding margin at least even, and makes few mistakes...shooting 75% from the free throw line would be nice too. I cant wait to see what Carlton does next year with a full off season to improve his skills and spend lots of time in the weight room, same goes for Akok. If we can land a Shonn Miller type grad transfer, that would be like hitting the lottery to go along with what we have.

Brimah was and is still an amazing athlete. Carlton is nowhere near, but plays hard and is improving. He is serviceable.

We need to stop with grad transfers. We have been relying way too much on grad transfers as panaceas to either our rebounding problems or our ball handling problems. Whaley should be serviceable as a back up next year. He needs to get a little stronger and smarter.

PS: We need a good big man with size. Top 100 big man Carl Lewis is available and is seriously an upgrade over what we have on this roster. He is still uncommitted. Hurley needs tor reach out.

Reaction Score
This is a bad take. Akok and Carlton is a monster starting frontcourt, and will be one of the best in the AAC. The only problem is the depth behind them.

Also wanted to add that Gaffney will start next year. He’s a better ball handler than anyone not named Gilbert, and Gaffney just knows how to score at all 3 levels.
I like.

Reaction Score
We need to stop with grad transfers. We have been relying way too much on grad transfers as panaceas to either our rebounding problems or our ball handling problems. Whaley should be serviceable as a back up next year. He needs to get a little stronger and smarter.

We need to stop with grad transfers that cant shoot. In today's game, role player guards HAVE to be able to hit a wide open 3.

Reaction Score
Don’t kno why every thinks akok is soooooo skinny. I mean yeah he can deff put some meat on but sid and polley seem way thinner. And that video I just watched was from before he came to uconn. I’d expect him to at least put on 10 lbs of muscle by the fall. He’s not the string bean some make him out to be.

Reaction Score
You're right, we don't need a dominant front court. But we'd like more than passable. And to be that, we're gonna need more than we have. Depth is severely lacking at the moment.

Not for nothing, but in 2014, our 4 was mostly DeAndre Daniels, so really, our center spot was manned by the 3 guys you mentioned. We don't have anyone of DD's caliber there next year (they may eventually surpass him, but likely not next year). Nor do we have the best guard in America.
We don’t have to have another center, but we need a strong 4 and at this point we don’t have it. Akok plays but is a rail.

intlzncster

Reaction Score
We don’t have to have another center, but we need a strong 4 and at this point we don’t have it. Akok plays but is a rail.

You don't need a big strong PF at all in MCBB. It's nice, but not necessary.

But not having a backup center? With the state of reffing in MCBB being what it is? When Carlton gets into foul trouble, we're sunk.

Akok is fine at PF. You don't need a big meaty guy there. Our last two championship teams had thinnish 4s. DeAndre Daniels and Roscoe.

Reaction Score
Brimah was and is still an amazing athlete. Carlton is nowhere near, but plays hard and is improving. He is serviceable.

PS: We need a good big man with size. Top 100 big man Carl Lewis is available and is seriously an upgrade over what we have on this roster. He is still uncommitted. Hurley needs tor reach out.

He definitely has good size. I think there is more to this kid then we know. He only has 3 offers and is 4 stars.

Reaction Score
We need to be in contention next year as a top 4 seed in the conference. Penny came in year 1 brought a couple of good recruits in by the way, and had Memphis playing respectably finishing as a 5 seed.

I like Hurley, his passion, and his methodical plan for our program. We need to be at around 20 wins next year. More than anything we have had a lack of leadership from our best player. I expect improvement from Vital, Polley, Sid, and Carlton. The freshmen are good enough to contribute. Rique is more serious than Jalen, and a lot will depend on what kind of offseason leap he takes.

Starting lineup: Gilbert, Vital, Bouknight, Akok, Carlton.

This starting lineup right here, with some good coaching over the next 8 months, can compete in the conference. Gilbert+Vital will be one of the better AAC back courts and Akok+Carlton will make a very respectable front court. After that, we're just going to really need guys to get better and step up. Wilson, Polley, Adams, Whaley, etc. need to put the work in to better themselves and be able to contribute. As I said, we'll have pieces to work with.

Reaction Score
There are not many impactful 2019 guys left unless we get Precious.
Spring signing period coming up in a month. It could be like PA playing let's make a deal.
Behind Door #1 (Kansas) - a brand new sports car + cash; Behind Door #2 (North Carolina) - all classes will be online with a tutor helping you out; Behind Door #3 (Uconn) - a Uconn fanbase hungry to get back to national prominence with Dan leading the way. Come on PA choose door #3!

Reaction Score
I Would love a European big or European sharpshooter - How come we never get guys like that ?- strange. Besides Giffey

Last edited:

intlzncster

Reaction Score
If they pulled a Euro big out of the hat at this stage...I'd be over the moon. It would take some serious magic.

RayIsTheGOAT

Sticks, to the rafters
Reaction Score
We have a long offseason ahead. Obviously the front court is concerning right now on paper. But we will have scholarships open, and there will be a lot of movement in college basketball.

Reaction Score
He definitely has good size. I think there is more to this kid then we know. He only has 3 offers and is 4 stars.

You're right. Something doesn't add up. He was #28 a year ago and is now 80 and why so few offers for a big guy that's not a stringbean?
But, looking at the video I don't know how he's ranked as high as 80.

Rico444

In the mix for six
Reaction Score
Calling Sid a MAC level player is insane. He belongs in that group with Gilbert and Carlton

There's a good chance he ends up in that group, but right now he wouldn't play more than 5 minutes a game for any good team out there. What NCAA tournament team would he play meaningful minutes for? And I'm not talking about autobids. As he is currently, he can't shoot at all, has poor handles and loses his man on defense far too often. I can see him being an asset in the future, but he has a long way to go.

Reaction Score
This is a bad take. Akok and Carlton is a monster starting frontcourt, and will be one of the best in the AAC. The only problem is the depth behind them.

Also wanted to add that Gaffney will start next year. He’s a better ball handler than anyone not named Gilbert, and Gaffney just knows how to score at all 3 levels.
Offensively I agree Carlton and Akok will be very solid, but neither of them are good rebounders at this point. I don't think Carlton has a rebounding mindset nor does he do basic rebounding fundamentals. He stares at the rim when the shot goes up and he stands underneath the basket which is what they teach you not to do in 2nd grade

RayIsTheGOAT

Sticks, to the rafters
Reaction Score
Offensively I agree Carlton and Akok will be very solid, but neither of them are good rebounders at this point. I don't think Carlton has a rebounding mindset nor does he do basic rebounding fundamentals. He stares at the rim when the shot goes up and he stands underneath the basket which is what they teach you not to do in 2nd grade
Josh's 6+ rebounds a game (with many double digit rebounding games, including Houston multiple times) and inevitable improvement next season disagrees with you.

Reaction Score
Josh's 6+ rebounds a game (with many double digit rebounding games, including Houston multiple times) and inevitable improvement next season disagrees with you.
Can you honestly count on Josh to grab a key rebound in big moments. I'm not doubting the improvement though, you're right about that

Stainmaster

Occasionally Constructive
Reaction Score
Can you honestly count on Josh to grab a key rebound in big moments. I'm not doubting the improvement though, you're right about that

Nice job moving the goalposts:

Not sure how "rebounding mindset" or "basic rebounding fundamentals" got translated to "[grabbing] a key rebound in big moments."

RayIsTheGOAT

Sticks, to the rafters
Reaction Score
I really think Carlton is going to be a different player next season. When he puts on some serious weight (which he already noticably has in just a few months) he is going to be a force.
I don't think his rebounding instincts are too bad, it's just that he didn't start receiving proper coaching until less than a year ago. His lack of athleticism will be made up by his solid+improving BBIQ, soft hands and physical strength come next season.

Stainmaster

Occasionally Constructive
Reaction Score
There's a good chance he ends up in that group, but right now he wouldn't play more than 5 minutes a game for any good team out there. What NCAA tournament team would he play meaningful minutes for? And I'm not talking about autobids. As he is currently, he can't shoot at all, has poor handles and loses his man on defense far too often. I can see him being an asset in the future, but he has a long way to go.

How many guys playing meaningful minutes for those teams did so as freshmen?

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
leepaul

Top Bottom