OMG Please Make this go Away | Page 5 | The Boneyard

OMG Please Make this go Away

Reaction Score
During what time? We know Hathaway was a disgrace and I always thought WM would be judged based on his one big hire. Spoiler alert: that hire was Diaco. At the President level, given the timeframe Herbst came in, we don't know how much she could or could not have done. UConn's leadership was in flux at the time. I honestly don't know what could've been done but if you want to put them on full blast for failing to deliver the goods I can't argue with that.
During the ACC/Louisville debacle.

I don't want to rehash that whole thing, but I can't hold Aresco feet to the fire and give Warde and Sue a pass on that.

I actually think we would have been better served having Hathaway during that time frame than Pendergast/Warde, but whatever gonna enjoy the chairbacks.

Reaction Score
During what time? We know Hathaway was a disgrace and I always thought WM would be judged based on his one big hire. Spoiler alert: that hire was Diaco. At the President level, given the timeframe Herbst came in, we don't know how much she could or could not have done. UConn's leadership was in flux at the time. I honestly don't know what could've been done but if you want to put them on full blast for failing to deliver the goods I can't argue with that.

Warde definitely blew it with Diaco. But everyone bought in with Diaco at the beginning. So personally I cut him some slack for that. But we did see the basketall complete completed, better GPA's and an increase in donor money. I'd say he did an ok job overall.

whaler11

Head Happy Hour Coach
Reaction Score
I feel Hebrst and company have gotten to much of a pass for this mess. They're far more responsible for this mess than Mike Aresco is for where UConn finds itself. I used to think she had a plan. Now I think conference talk is an annoyance.

Truthfully I'm totally over it. I'm buying select single game chairbacks this year cause wtf not?

I still love going to the games so I'll be there but I have learned to like it for what it is. The AAC and the rest of the G5 are playing a different sport.

It's like the Premier League versus the Championship but with no promotion.

I don't think that Herbst cares either. She pays lipservice to sports but your word is coreect it's an annoyance.

Reaction Score
During the ACC/Louisville debacle.

I don't want to rehash that whole thing, but I can't hold Aresco feet to the fire and give Warde and Sue a pass on that.

I actually think we would have been better served having Hathaway during that time frame than Pendergast/Warde, but whatever gonna enjoy the chairbacks.

We're talking about 2 different things. Why would anyone hold Aresco responsible for the Louisville debacle? It's not his job to get UConn out of the dumpster fire that he helped create.

Reaction Score
Warde definitely blew it with Diaco. But everyone bought in with Diaco at the beginning. So personally I cut him some slack for that. But we did see the basketall complete completed, better GPA's and an increase in donor money. I'd say he did an ok job overall.

EVERYONE bought in?

Reaction Score

Why would you cut him some slack for that? He interviewed Diaco at length. It was his job to see him for the fraud used car salesman he was. He failed miserably in that regard.

Reaction Score
We're talking about 2 different things. Why would anyone hold Aresco responsible for the Louisville debacle? It's not his job to get UConn out of the dumpster fire that he helped create.
I just don't see no fault in Aresco for where UConn us. This conference is an odd collection with or without Tulsa and Tulane. Tulsa is actually a decent FB program.

The terrible tv deal was more Marinatos fault than Arescos. The espn right to match offer was beyond stupid but then again it was Marinato.

Reaction Score
I just don't see no fault in Aresco for where UConn us. This conference is an odd collection with or without Tulsa and Tulane. Tulsa is actually a decent FB program.

The terrible tv deal was more Marinatos fault than Arescos. The espn right to match offer was beyond stupid but then again it was Marinato.

We're not disagreeing with much unless you tell me Aresco has done a solid job since being hired.

Reaction Score
Why would you cut him some slack for that? He interviewed Diaco at length. It was his job to see him for the fraud used car salesman he was. He failed miserably in that regard.
Then he negotiated an extension for him off a 6-7, season right before he walked out the door. Warde is lucky Michigan came calling when they did.

whaler11

Head Happy Hour Coach
Reaction Score
That people can't see through people like Bob Diaco is why I now have 8 HD channels of shows where people like Creflo Dollar get rich by getting fools to send them money.

Last edited:
Reaction Score
We're not disagreeing with much unless you tell me Aresco has done a solid job since being hired.
Aside from not inviting Tulane and Tulsa I don't know anything he could have done to change the course of events. He had to put together a conference and quick. He went after markets. At least he had some semblance of a plan. That's more than I can say for the people paid to look out for UConn interest in the sports landscape.

Honestly what could have Aresco done not invite Tulane and Tulsa? I'm sure espn wanted x amount of inventory for their pittannce.

Reaction Score
That people can't see through people like Bob Diaco is why I how have 8 HD channels of shows where people like Creflo Dollar get rich by getting fools to send them money.
Had to look that guy up.

whaler11

Head Happy Hour Coach
Reaction Score
Had to look that guy up.

Watch a half hour sometime. It's amazing. Pretty much your health and wealth is completely determined by faith.

whaler11

Head Happy Hour Coach
Reaction Score
Gotta love the name Dollar, as in give me yours!!!

He said everyone should send him $300 so he could get the fastest private jet. You can't make up how stupid people are.

Reaction Score
The Big East gave us the platform we needed to get where we are, even in the AAC. Otherwise, we'd be in a similar position to UMass.

UConnNick

from Vince Lombardi's home town
Reaction Score
EVERYONE bought in?

I for one never bought into the Diacrapcy. From the first moment he talked about the opening games of the season as "exhibitions", I knew the clown was only interested in covering his own ass. If you try to downplay the importance of games, you think nobody can blame you for losing. The guy is a complete fraud. Anybody in Warde Manuel's position should have been smart enough to figure that out.

Reaction Score

We should have known Diaco was a loser when even BC passed on him then laughed at us for hiring him.

Reaction Score
Ok not everyone. But he had a lot of people drinking the koolaid. Agree to disagree on that point then.

Yes but until games start fans only get to judge hires by resume, press conferences, and other public statements. Actually going through the interview/hiring process should have given Warde a lot more information.

pepband99

Resident TV nerd
Reaction Score
I hate to say it, but i agree with Whaler here.

Aresco has proven to be little more than a stuffed shirt. He's grabbed unnecessary teams, done little or nothing on things like OOC basketball scheduling, and done essentially useless things like this P6 nonsense.

The whole point here isn't 5 or 4 or 6, it's the P. Show us the money, Aresco. We can be as great as you're touting us to be, but we're being paid peanuts to do it. We can be as close as anyone to a P5-level program, but we're so far behind the 8 ball financially, that it's unsustainable.

If he manages to pull anything even remotely positive out of the contract renegotiation process, especially with everyone on the TV side retrenching at the moment, I'll eat a massive amount of crow. That being said, i don't think anything remotely positive happens.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Woody69

Top Bottom