OMG Please Make this go Away | The Boneyard

OMG Please Make this go Away

whaler11

Head Happy Hour Coach
Reaction Score
IMG_3759.PNG

CL82

NCAA Men’s Basketball National Champions - Again!
Reaction Score
If you put the best case spin on the campaign/slogan, it wouldn't be so much to entice the P5 to rename themselves the P6, but to distinguish the American as unequivocally the best of the G5. From that perspective, I guess it works.

Reaction Score
I have it on good authority that they are doing this because if/when things go perfectly and AAC football and basketball have big years, they can really try to turn the screws on this issue. If they stay quiet and don't promote this at all and then have four Top 25 teams in football and men's basketball and win the women's title again, people will ask why they weren't building toward it in the media.

I think it is fair to say that with Wichita, the AAC will have 3-4 strong teams in basketball WITHOUT UConn and in football, the AAC is always a threat to be solid at the top. This makes sense, even though it makes me cringe at times.

whaler11

Head Happy Hour Coach
Reaction Score
The entire approach is backwards.

If the goal was to become 'P6' that would have been good to know before inviting schools like Tulane and Tulsa.

You can't market a conference into relevancy, the schools need to make the product appealing in their own markets before something like this draws anything but laughs.

How are we going to get more money in the next TV negotiation: New Hashtags! This one used a 6 as an E!

Read the Boneyard - our fans completely and totally reject this conference - a hashtag and marketing campaign is going to convince fans in other places?

Reaction Score
The entire approach is backwards.

If the goal was to become 'P6' that would have been good to know before inviting schools like Tulane and Tulsa.

You can't market a conference into relevancy, the schools need to make the product appealing in their own markets before something like this draws anything but laughs.

How are we going to get more money in the next TV negotiation: New Hashtags! This one used a 6 as an E!

Read the Boneyard - our fans completely and totally reject this conference - a hashtag and marketing campaign is going to convince fans in other places?
They've had some results. UCF and Houston in football. UConn mens and Women's basketball. They're trying to highlight their accomplishments in a short time as a conference, which arguably is better than the rest of the G5 combined in the same time frame.

If they don't highlight what they have accomplished, no one is going to do it for them.

SubbaBub

Your stupidity is ruining my country.
Reaction Score
It worked for the ACC. Decades of being a doormat (non-FSU), then one other team finally steps up its game and voila, internet bloggers are comparing it to the SEC.

The problem is lack of great teams.

Reaction Score
In 2017, your solution is ... the conference shouldn't have invited Tulsa and Tulane.

From a UConn perspective, we just wanted a place for a few years. Most all the AAC aspire to the upgrade; few have the real case like we do. Therefore, when polled ... as the loss of schools under 10 set in motion ... Tulsa and Tulane obviously stood out to a few. If this was a 6 year Plan, Warde Manuel could have promoted Buffalo or UMass. The Football cross regional element made Texas the nexus of the Western wing and they pushed.

The real key: one great 2017 with lots of exciting teams. Then a great 2018. Meanwhile ... BC, Syracuse, Rutgers, Maryland and others totally collapse.

Unlike whaler11, I believe the significance of huge disparity in revenue between the P5 and AAC, yet strong football ... leads to doubling of our dollars per school while there are increasingly formats for like viewing.

Exit 4

This space for rent
Reaction Score
Its better than the other marketing ideas that were rumored to be kicked around:

"AMERICAN - P5 Quality at a G5 Price"
"AmericanP5a-"
"American - The Best of the Rest"

uconnphil2016

Head Rat
Reaction Score
It worked for the ACC. Decades of being a doormat (non-FSU), then one other team finally steps up its game and voila, internet bloggers are comparing it to the SEC.

The problem is lack of great teams.

The ACC isn't a doormat lol. I'd say having Clemson and FSU is pretty darn good, and UNC has become a pretty good program of late as well. Virginia Tech, Louisville, Miami are all very competitive as well

Reaction Score
The ACC isn't a doormat lol. I'd say having Clemson and FSU is pretty darn good, and UNC has become a pretty good program of late as well. Virginia Tech, Louisville, Miami are all very competitive as well

They took Syracuse (who peaked in 1959) and Boston College (which had a Wide World of Sport minute in Flutie). That's the football thinking employed. I agree on the top. But I still hope they suck.

whaler11

Head Happy Hour Coach
Reaction Score
In 2017, your solution is ... the conference shouldn't have invited Tulsa and Tulane.

From a UConn perspective, we just wanted a place for a few years. Most all the AAC aspire to the upgrade; few have the real case like we do. Therefore, when polled ... as the loss of schools under 10 set in motion ... Tulsa and Tulane obviously stood out to a few. If this was a 6 year Plan, Warde Manuel could have promoted Buffalo or UMass. The Football cross regional element made Texas the nexus of the Western wing and they pushed.

The real key: one great 2017 with lots of exciting teams. Then a great 2018. Meanwhile ... BC, Syracuse, Rutgers, Maryland and others totally collapse.

Unlike whaler11, I believe the significance of huge disparity in revenue between the P5 and AAC, yet strong football ... leads to doubling of our dollars per school while there are increasingly formats for like viewing.

If the AAC only doubles their TV rake UConn's revenues still drop.

The Big East departure fees disappearing swamp doubling the television contract.

Go find someone in the AAC who will take responsibility for Tulsa and Tulane. You aren't going to find them because nobody wants their fingerprints on it.

If you didn't have ridiculous schools like Tulane in the league when basketball
rolls around you'd actually have a lot more games between the 5-6 schools that compete in basketball.

If you want the per team TV rake to go up guess what you don't want. Deadweight who provide zero like Tulane.

Witbout so many garbage schools you might actually have partners who can get paid
for their 3 instead of giving the entire league's rights to ESPN for NOTHING.

whaler11

Head Happy Hour Coach
Reaction Score
In short if you want to fantasize about being 'P6' the strategic mistakes like adding Tulane overwhelm fancy hashtags.

Hey I want to climb Mt Everest: If your first step is fill your backpack with 50lbs of bricks you probably need a more realistic goal.

The league made stupid moves so that Aresco could have a job if schools left and now that nobody could leave they want us to believe they can hashtag themselves into relevance. Super - Go AAC!!!

uconnphil2016

Head Rat
Reaction Score
I wish I could read Randy's mind when he sees this P6 garbage and what he really thinks of this conference

Reaction Score
Any way you slice it ESPN sold UConn down the river . They used and abused the state, UConn and the BigEast. It still pisses me off that Connecticut threw 10s of millions at ESPN and never thought it in their interest to favor UConn's destiny by tying it to a P5 move and financial subsidies until they do move. The incompetence and lack of foresight that persists in our government never ceases to amaze. But then again, it's all about padding pensions and keeping the tax payer gravey train flowing for the bureaucrat class.

Reaction Score
I'm not sure why 12 made more sense than 10. But Tulane and Tulsa were added as the best next pick to be 12. It had to be TV contracting or some clear mandate.

I understand the UConn math. However it is undeniably better to go from $2.7m or something to $7 or $9m. I think that's where we are headed. And damn ... it sucks that we can't make Louisville pay in perpetuity.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
deltaop99

Top Bottom