OMG Please Make this go Away | Page 2 | The Boneyard

OMG Please Make this go Away

Reaction Score
Tulsa and Tulane are power schools relative to their locations. Big money and actual academics.

whaler11

Head Happy Hour Coach
Reaction Score
I'm not sure why 12 made more sense than 10. But Tulane and Tulsa were added as the best next pick to be 12. It had to be TV contracting or some clear mandate.

I understand the UConn math. However it is undeniably better to go from $2.7m or something to $7 or $9m. I think that's where we are headed. And damn ... it sucks that we can't make Louisville pay in perpetuity.

It was the idea that the world needed a meaningless/worthless AAC football championship game and it was to cover for
potential defection.

7 or 9 is better than 2.7 bit a. that's a lot
more than double and b. they aren't even at 2.7 as far I remember.

75+ million a year for this league? From who? Good luck.

Reaction Score
The ACC isn't a doormat lol. I'd say having Clemson and FSU is pretty darn good, and UNC has become a pretty good program of late as well. Virginia Tech, Louisville, Miami are all very competitive as well
Phil, you clearly didn't read what he wrote. He said NON-FSU who joined the ACC in 1991, before that maybe Clemson who was pretty consistant was their top team. They lost USCe to the SEC in the early 70's, picked up GT in the late 70's early 80's FSU in '91 and then they butchered the BE to get the rest of their quality teams minus ND who still isn't really in for football. Point is that the ACC was often the doormat of CFB until they kicked the door in and started to change their future.

Reaction Score
I do find it amusing that people complain about the league trying to promote itself. As we currently stand what else do you want them to do? All we can do is win games and promote ourselves and the league. Whining about how we are/were screwed is so old by now. Need to do something about it and quite frankly I do think the league has done a good job on the field.

whaler11

Head Happy Hour Coach
Reaction Score
I do find it amusing that people complain about the league trying to promote itself. As we currently stand what else do you want them to do? All we can do is win games and promote ourselves and the league. Whining about how we are/were screwed is so old by now. Need to do something about it and quite frankly I do think the league has done a good job on the field.

Maybe the complaints are the league does a terrible job at it? Or maybe just changing letters to numbers in a hashtag changes everything!

Reaction Score
In short if you want to fantasize about being 'P6' the strategic mistakes like adding Tulane overwhelm fancy hashtags.

Hey I want to climb Mt Everest: If your first step is fill your backpack with 50lbs of bricks you probably need a more realistic goal.

The league made stupid moves so that Aresco could have a job if schools left and now that nobody could leave they want us to believe they can hashtag themselves into relevance. Super - Go AAC!!!

We don't now and didn't have the same options available as far as adding teams so the fantasy of adding x school hurts our chances is BS, what other school was available? What was the better alternative? You claim to have known (once again) what the better strategy is/was but you offer no alternatives. They want to change the narrative. One way of doing that is by saying things loudly and often how you want to be viewed. Or we could sit around and wait for it to fix itself. And Aresco was a high level network executive he would have had a job elsewhere if the conference folded he wasn't doing it to save his job. Nor was he adding teams in a vacuum, every member had a say in it. you also said it left schools with no where to go; Where were any of us going? Newsflash; NO ONE WANTS US. The only thing you've said that we agree on is we should have never agreed to give the conference control of our T3 rights.

whaler11

Head Happy Hour Coach
Reaction Score
We don't now and didn't have the same options available as far as adding teams so the fantasy of adding x school hurts our chances is BS, what other school was available? What was the better alternative? You claim to have known (once again) what the better strategy is/was but you offer no alternatives. They want to change the narrative. One way of doing that is by saying things loudly and often how you want to be viewed. Or we could sit around and wait for it to fix itself. And Aresco was a high level network executive he would have had a job elsewhere if the conference folded he wasn't doing it to save his job. Nor was he adding teams in a vacuum, every member had a say in it. you also said it left schools with no where to go; Where were any of us going? Newsflash; NO ONE WANTS US. The only thing you've said that we agree on is we should have never agreed to give the conference control of our T3 rights.

Um the clear alternative to Tulane and Tulsa is quite simple: Add no one.

I'm not the one who thought anyone was leaving - I've got thousands of posts saying that. Part of Aresco's process was adding those schools to guard against departures. As for signing off - find someone from a school who has publically supported their addition before or after.

If you think people who aren't bright enough to realize you don't add Tulane and Tulsa can market a league to legitimacy... they couldn't even see they had a better product BEFORE they added them.

RedStickHusky

formerly SeoulHuskyFan
Reaction Score
Its better than the other marketing ideas that were rumored to be kicked around:

"AMERICAN - P5 Quality at a G5 Price"
"AmericanP5a-"
"American - The Best of the Rest"
Make the American Great, well, not again actually, but Great.

Reaction Score
Um the clear alternative to Tulane and Tulsa is quite simple: Add no one.

I'm not the one who thought anyone was leaving - I've got thousands of posts saying that. Part of Aresco's process was adding those schools to guard against departures. As for signing off - find someone from a school who has publically supported their addition before or after.

If you think people who aren't bright enough to realize you don't add Tulane and Tulsa can market a league to legitimacy... they couldn't even see they had a better product BEFORE they added them.

So again lot's of, "I'm smarter than everyone else who actually does this for a living" but actually nothing offered as an alternative other than do nothing, which would produce what different result actually? We would still need to beat the drum to get anyone to notice or take us seriously so what is the difference? State your marketing plan?

CL82

NCAA Men’s Basketball National Champions - Again!
Reaction Score
Its better than the other marketing ideas that were rumored to be kicked around:

"AMERICAN - P5 Quality at a G5 Price"
"AmericanP5a-"
"American - The Best of the Rest"
"American - Still relevant? You bet!"

whaler11

Head Happy Hour Coach
Reaction Score
So again lot's of, "I'm smarter than everyone else who actually does this for a living" but actually nothing offered as an alternative other than do nothing, which would produce what different result actually? We would still need to beat the drum to get anyone to notice or take us seriously so what is the difference? State your marketing plan?

Who cares if they are total failures - 'they do it for a living'.

Did you witness the last AAC men's basketball tournament - 'they do it for a living'.

I've told you in this very thread that the marketing approach is backwards.

Step 1. Understand what you are. This is not a real conference. These schools have nothing in common. There are no relationships outside of sports. No one wants to be here. This is a scheduling consortium - nothing more nothing less.

Step 2. Since this is a scheduling consortium everything they do should be based on putting together attractive matchups. The correct way to do that would be to limit the worthless teams in the league - but that ship has sailed because the commissioner is a dope. An immediate change should be a monetary penalty for any school who has a non-conf RPI or SOS that is below a certain threshold.

Step 3. Look at the most successful athletic program in the league. UConn's television rights are worth a lot more locally than nationally. It should be the goal of every program to increase their rights in their own markets. The television market is being fractured - the only way to grow this league's revenue is by growing the local fanbases. There isn't any path to make this league one that makes big dollars on their national TV rights. We don't watch this league when there are other choices why in the world would anyone else?

Step 4: Stop with slogans that get you mocked nationally. When they blab on and on about P6 - 95% of the people paying attention laugh at them. I know most of the people here don't follow anything but UConn - but giving people a reason to mock you isn't a great idea.

The focus should be completely on growing this programs in their markets, increasing attendance (which impacts recruiting) getting the bottom programs to stop being an embarrassment, building rivalries that make sense and selling a good sports experience in person or television.

The AAC is never going to be P6. P6 is never going to be a thing. Making that your marketing push just means you've failed before you even started.

But I guess hashtags are b6tt6r. Get that #r62p6ct

Reaction Score

Did you witness the last AAC men's basketball tournament - 'they do it for a living'.

Step 1. Understand what you are. This is not a real conference. These schools have nothing in common. There are no relationships outside of sports. No one wants to be here. This is a scheduling consortium - nothing more nothing less. As is every conference, again we had no choice, and the move to 12 was to protect the majority of the conference when it seemed likely that UConn and Cincy or possibly Houston who was making a strong push seemed to be next up, you can't fault them for self preservation, so yeah they looked ahead and in hindsight which you use to try to come off as all knowing it wasn't needed because no one is moving on any of us, it was a bad move.

Step 2. Since this is a scheduling consortium everything they do should be based on putting together attractive matchups. The correct way to do that would be to limit the worthless teams in the league - but that ship has sailed because the commissioner is a dope. An immediate change should be a monetary penalty for any school who has a non-conf RPI or SOS that is below a certain threshold. See above, it really was about more than keeping you happy with the best possible match-ups, and yeah let's go after the best remaining schools for viability but penalize them if they don't live up to some arbitrary standard, where do I sign up!?!?

Step 3. Look at the most successful athletic program in the league. UConn's television rights are worth a lot more locally than nationally. It should be the goal of every program to increase their rights in their own markets. The television market is being fractured - the only way to grow this league's revenue is by growing the local fanbases. There isn't any path to make this league one that makes big dollars on their national TV rights. We don't watch this league when there are other choices why in the world would anyone else? Show me any program in the conference that doesn't try to do this? The league should be focused on raising a national awareness, the schools should be focused on the local/regional marketing. The problem being most of the schools that we were left with are second, third or fourth choices in their own markets, and to make a dent in that old guard is going to take time.

Step 4: Stop with slogans that get you mocked nationally. When they blab on and on about P6 - 95% of the people paying attention laugh at them. I know most of the people here don't follow anything but UConn - but giving people a reason to mock you isn't a great idea. Seriously? Everyone gets mocked man! What, you want them to turtle up so you don't get your feelings hurt by an opposing fan base? Just because someone's going to find fault doesn't mean you should stop trying to sell your product. Hell people mock us for daring to try to play football when we are a basketball school!

The focus should be completely on growing this programs in their markets, increasing attendance (which impacts recruiting) getting the bottom programs to stop being an embarrassment, building rivalries that make sense and selling a good sports experience in person or television. It's up to the individual schools to push their own markets, that's not a conference issue, and again show me one school that doesn't try to do it?

The AAC is never going to be P6. P6 is never going to be a thing. Making that your marketing push just means you've failed before you even started. No it doesn't, it means you're trying to make people see that we are the best remaining conference out there and based on our performance as a conference we deserve to be part of the conversation. Is that going to change the narrative overnight? Hell no, too much good ol boy network and tradition to overcome! I would rather that the conference put up a fight for inclusion than not.

But I guess hashtags are b6tt6r. I think you have an issue with hashtags on a very personal level, you don't have to talk about it if it's too embarrassing but made having someone who'll just listen will help! Get that #r62p6ct

whaler11

Head Happy Hour Coach
Reaction Score

FYI I stopped reading when you said all conferences are just scheduling consortiums.

Stick with they do it for a living. It's actually a better opinion.

Reaction Score
FYI I stopped reading when you said all conferences are just scheduling consortiums.

Stick with they do it for a living. It's actually a better opinion.
Of course you would stop reading, it's easier to pretend you know everything than actually listen to a difference of opinion, I would like to say that you couldn't prove being "you" any more with that statement but I'm confident given time that you'll find a way.

and please, tell me that the reason these conferences were formed were for any other reason? formed not current derivation

whaler11

Head Happy Hour Coach
Reaction Score
Of course you would stop reading, it's easier to pretend you know everything than actually listen to a difference of opinion, I would like to say that you couldn't prove being "you" any more with that statement but I'm confident given time that you'll find a way.

and please, tell me that the reason these conferences were formed were for any other reason? formed not current derivation

You believe that every conference exists as a scheduling consortium - yet are going to educate me on more complicated topics?

I read some more. It got worse:

Defending Tulsa and Tulane. There is no defense for this. None. Zero. Neither then nor now.

P6 means something other than P6? Um ok got it.

You seem to be the one struggling with differing opinions. Sorry I'm not willing to ignore reality and pretend the American leadership isn't terrible.

I'm happy for them that someone thinks they are clever. I'm sure they were quite giddy to change that e to a 6.

Reaction Score

Step 1. Understand what you are. This is not a real conference. These schools have nothing in common. There are no relationships outside of sports. No one wants to be here. This is a scheduling consortium - nothing more nothing less.

Step 2. Since this is a scheduling consortium everything they do should be based on putting together attractive matchups. The correct way to do that would be to limit the worthless teams in the league - but that ship has sailed because the commissioner is a dope. An immediate change should be a monetary penalty for any school who has a non-conf RPI or SOS that is below a certain threshold.

Step 3. Look at the most successful athletic program in the league. UConn's television rights are worth a lot more locally than nationally. It should be the goal of every program to increase their rights in their own markets. The television market is being fractured - the only way to grow this league's revenue is by growing the local fanbases. There isn't any path to make this league one that makes big dollars on their national TV rights. We don't watch this league when there are other choices why in the world would anyone else?

Step 4: Stop with slogans that get you mocked nationally. When they blab on and on about P6 - 95% of the people paying attention laugh at them. I know most of the people here don't follow anything but UConn - but giving people a reason to mock you isn't a great idea.

The focus should be completely on growing this programs in their markets, increasing attendance (which impacts recruiting) getting the bottom programs to stop being an embarrassment, building rivalries that make sense and selling a good sports experience in person or television.

The AAC is never going to be P6. P6 is never going to be a thing. Making that your marketing push just means you've failed before you even started.

But I guess hashtags are b6tt6r. Get that #r62p6ct

"the commissioner is a dope". You have to be one of the most egotistical characters on this board. I would love to have the opportunity to compare your credentials with those of Aresco.

Reaction Score
"the commissioner is a dope". You have to be one of the most egotistical characters on this board. I would love to have the opportunity to compare your credentials with those of Aresco.

How can you possibly question the credentials of a person who has more than 25K post on a message board? The man is obviously a font of all knowledge and wisdom. Aresco can't hold a candle to that output since he has a full time job so can't possibly spend 18-20 hours a day trolling.

Reaction Score
46406744.jpg

Reaction Score
omg i'm so embarrassedddddd don't look at our unrealistic expectationsssss

oh yeah, literally no one outside of AAC fans are paying any attention to this conference. so it doesn't matter at all.

Fishy

Elite Premium Poster
Reaction Score
You seem to be the one struggling with differing opinions. Sorry I'm not willing to ignore reality and pretend the American leadership isn't terrible.

All right.

What are they doing wrong and what would you do differently?

Reaction Score
Whaler is right about this. The rest of the world knows that the AAC is the best of the G5 conferences. It also knows that the AAC isn't a Power Conference and that it possesses no conceivable path to becoming a Power conference. By attaching the nomenclature "P6" to itself, the AAC is implicitly claiming to be a peer of the P5. Such status cannot be claimed. It can only be conferred from the outside. Ultimately it can only be established by the P5 agreeing that the AAC is a Power Conference. The ACC will never be considered a Power Conference until the P5 acknowledges that status in word and deed. It is manifestly obvious that the P5 does not believe any such thing. And neither do the networks as judged by the money paid to the conference.

The claim of 'P6' does not emphasize the strengths of the AAC. Claiming 'P6' emphasizes the weaknesses of the AAC because it highlights the immutable differentiation that the AAC is trying to overcome.

Fishy

Elite Premium Poster
Reaction Score
The post above this one is an impressive load of crap.

You kids ever hear about marketing? Commercials?

What do you do when you're watching TV at night? Turn to the wife and state, "I do not believe that Chevrolet makes the best cars for that has not be conferred upon them in word and deed by other carmakers."

They know it's not going to get them into an autonomy situation, but if it puts financial daylight between them and the rest of the G5, it will have worked. Jesus, this is not that freaking hard to understand.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Woody69

Top Bottom