OMG Please Make this go Away | Page 6 | The Boneyard

OMG Please Make this go Away

Reaction Score
I hate to say it, but i agree with Whaler here.

Aresco has proven to be little more than a stuffed shirt. He's grabbed unnecessary teams, done little or nothing on things like OOC basketball scheduling, and done essentially useless things like this P6 nonsense.

The whole point here isn't 5 or 4 or 6, it's the P. Show us the money, Aresco. We can be as great as you're touting us to be, but we're being paid peanuts to do it. We can be as close as anyone to a P5-level program, but we're so far behind the 8 ball financially, that it's unsustainable.

If he manages to pull anything even remotely positive out of the contract renegotiation process, especially with everyone on the TV side retrenching at the moment, I'll eat a massive amount of crow. That being said, i don't think anything remotely positive happens.
It's all about the 2nd contract. That's it. The 1st one he went into with his hands tied behind his back.

There is a huge gap between p5 money and g5 money. He is clearly trying to market this league as greater than the g5, if not really p5. Will it work? Who knows but he's trying. It's more than I can say for the people who are supposed to look out for UConn.

The only one that has inspired any confidence is Bennedict everyone else including Herbst and Warde have come off clueless. I hope they make me eat my words, but I think this league is as good as it's gong to get for us for a long time.

UConnDan97

predicting undefeated seasons since 1983
Reaction Score
It's all about the 2nd contract. That's it. The 1st one he went into with his hands tied behind his back.

There is a huge gap between p5 money and g5 money. He is clearly trying to market this league as greater than the g5, if not really p5. Will it work? Who knows but he's trying. It's more than I can say for the people who are supposed to look out for UConn.

The only one that has inspired any confidence is Bennedict everyone else including Herbst and Warde have come off clueless. I hope they make me eat my words, but I think this league is as good as it's gong to get for us for a long time.

Absolutely correct. Most people have forgotten that Aresco's hands were tied in the first go-around due to the favorable ESPN matching clause. And in my opinion, he did a great job turning that $#it-sandwich into a large amount of exposure on channels that most sports fans watch. Think about the last time people couldn't view a UConn football game. Think about how many times our basketball teams are televised. We are not buried on some damned channel that people can't see. We are still being shown nationally, keeping our name in the conversation. With the limitations he had to deal with, what else could we have asked of him??

whaler11

Head Happy Hour Coach
Reaction Score
Absolutely correct. Most people have forgotten that Aresco's hands were tied in the first go-around due to the favorable ESPN matching clause. And in my opinion, he did a great job turning that $#it-sandwich into a large amount of exposure on channels that most sports fans watch. Think about the last time people couldn't view a UConn football game. Think about how many times our basketball teams are televised. We are not buried on some damned channel that people can't see. We are still being shown nationally, keeping our name in the conversation. With the limitations he had to deal with, what else could we have asked of him??

Who exactly is going to bid against ESPN in the next contract? There isn't any fit with Fox or NBC.

Aresco is going to be the guy who finds riches with some digital streaming outlet? A linear TV guy? Which one does the AAC offer anything to?

Reaction Score
Who exactly is going to bid against ESPN in the next contract? There isn't any fit with Fox or NBC.

Aresco is going to be the guy who finds riches with some digital streaming outlet? A linear TV guy? Which one does the AAC offer anything to?
We'd fit on Fox. Don't you think the AAC is more legitimate than LaVar Ball?

whaler11

Head Happy Hour Coach
Reaction Score

Fox has a full schedule on FS1 and nothing like ESPN3 to distribute that much content.

There is no way they end up with Fox.

UConnDan97

predicting undefeated seasons since 1983
Reaction Score

We're going to find out, aren't we? That's what @noeynox 's point was; it's all about the next contract in terms of Aresco's true evaluation. From my standpoint, he did about as much as he could during the last one...

whaler11

Head Happy Hour Coach
Reaction Score
We're going to find out, aren't we? That's what @noeynox 's point was; it's all about the next contract in terms of Aresco's true evaluation. From my standpoint, he did about as much as he could during the last one...

I guess. It's pretty sad.

I just don't see why this one is any different than the last.

HuskyHawk

The triumphant return of the Blues Brothers.
Reaction Score

The Real Housewives of _________ basketball league would be more legit than LeVar Ball.

Alum86

Did they burn down the ROTC Hangar?
Reaction Score
Many games on obscure CBSSN. How is that connected to ESPN again? Games seem to be on the U, deuce, 3, but also the ratty CBSSN.

whaler11

Head Happy Hour Coach
Reaction Score
Many games on obscure CBSSN. How is that connected to ESPN again? Games seem to be on the U, deuce, 3, but also the ratty CBSSN.

ESPN sublets them games.

Alum86

Reaction Score
And to have folks here who are diehards rooting for games to be on ESPN3 internet instead of CBSSN (which a lot do not have) cable is telling. I have DirecTV and pay a fortune to luckily be able to see them. Lots do not though.

Reaction Score
And to have folks here who are diehards rooting for games to be on ESPN3internet instead of CBSSN (which a lot do not have) cable is telling. I have DirecTV and pay a fortune to luckily be able to see them. Lots do not though.

The reason people root for ESPN3/WatchESPN is because games on CBSSN are not streamed on a lot of cable systems in CT.

uconnbill

A Half full kind of guy
Reaction Score
Would you rather be playing Miami, VT, Cuse, Rutty, BC, Pitt, and WV or the absolute pile of dog sheet schedule we play now?

Marinate was an idiot but the Big East was doomed because it had a fractured constituency with programs that had completely different athletic mission statements. The concept of having a football league was well intentioned but could never survive in today's landscape. That goes well beyond Marinate's years.

The AAC's leadership has been abysmal for UConn. I don't know how anyone could argue otherwise but people here seem determined.

Still, blame the old regime of Marinatto and the rest of the Providence moron's

Alum86

Reaction Score
The reason people root for ESPN3/WatchESPN is because games on CBSSN are not streamed on a lot of cable systems in CT.
What cable does not offer it? Stream means internet to me, not TV

ConnHuskBask

Shut Em Down!
Reaction Score
I think as UConn athletics moves further into the future a few things have become pretty apparent (if they already weren't):

1) President Herbst is ambivalent and ignorant to the former status of our athletic programs. "Winners who want to win."

2) Warde was absolutely clueless with regards to the ACC/Louisville fiasco. Whether it ultimately was his inaction or Jurich's moves, his public comments didn't do anything to help us. Oh, and Diaco.

3) UConn's inability to capture the momentum of Calhoun's dominance and the rise of Edsall and FBS football under the director of Hathaway put us behind the 8 ball. UConn can tout the 6th borough all they want, but finishing 5th in the AAC in hoop and last in football doesn't resonate. The time to have done this was 15 years ago amiss Top 10 hoop rankings, titles and BCS football.

4) We're in the AAC for the long haul, due to 1, 2 and 3. I've started to focus my attention elsewhere aside from the conference dilemma because it's just too depressing.

Reaction Score
I think as UConn athletics moves further into the future a few things have become pretty apparent (if they already weren't):

1) President Herbst is ambivalent and ignorant to the former status of our athletic programs. "Winners who want to win."

2) Warde was absolutely clueless with regards to the ACC/Louisville fiasco. Whether it ultimately was his inaction or Jurich's moves, his public comments didn't do anything to help us. Oh, and Diaco.

3) UConn's inability to capture the momentum of Calhoun's dominance and the rise of Edsall and FBS football under the director of Hathaway put us behind the 8 ball. UConn can tout the 6th borough all they want, but finishing 5th in the AAC in hoop and last in football doesn't resonate. The time to have done this was 15 years ago amiss Top 10 hoop rankings, titles and BCS football.

4) We're in the AAC for the long haul, due to 1, 2 and 3. I've started to focus my attention elsewhere aside from the conference dilemma because it's just too depressing.
I've said since The Rent opened I couldn't believe they didn't market/promote the hell out of BCS football more. I use to argue with @upstater , (think it was him) about using bill boards to promote bcs football in the state. He would tell me billboards were like blue valour suits or something. It was a fun exchange. This goes back to the rivals board days.

In any event I agree, UConn missed the boat to capitalize on something that could have potentially been big. It was almost as if UCONN didn't want a newbie fb program encroaching on basketballs popularity.

Your post is spot on. This our home for the next decade I bet.

Reaction Score
I've said since The Rent opened I couldn't believe they didn't market/promote the hell out of BCS football more. I use to argue with @upstater , (think it was him) about using bill boards to promote bcs football in the state. He would tell me billboards were like blue valour suits or something. It was a fun exchange. This goes back to the rivals board days.

In any event I agree, UConn missed the boat to capitalize on something that could have potentially been big. It was almost as if UCONN didn't want a newbie fb program encroaching on basketballs popularity.

Your post is spot on. This our home for the next decade I bet.

Blue serge suit. So thick you could pee in them--it would give you a warm feeling, but no one would see it.

I am still fighting these battles at my work. Some administrator in marketing dumped money behind a banner ad campaign to promote the program I direct. I was never contacted. Not a single bite resulted from this nationwide banner campaign. I took a fraction of his budget the next year and I targeted undergraduate magazines in the state of New York, and it was a huge success.

Reaction Score
EVERYONE bought in?

Darn close to everyone ...

So, What are your Thoughts on HCBD Now?

upload_2017-7-26_13-7-41.png

Reaction Score
I don't have an issue with the p6 stuff. I agree they are trying to be the best of the rest, so to speak. Over time with luck that translates into things like bowl bids for the 11-2 AAC champ when the MAC vamp is 12-0. As well as higher payouts from tv/media. That said I get whalers view that this is more scheduling alliance than conference. But so is the ACC really. Anyone who thinks BC and Syracuse have anything at all in common with UNC or Clemson has probably not been to Boston, Syracuse Chapel Hill or anywhere in South Carolina
Really only the B12 and the PAC have more or less avoided that trap. SEC and Big 10 are somewhere in the middle.

Given that situation I do agree that trying to make as many attractive games as possible is the way to go and trying to generate local resources/media coverage makes lots of sense. I don't know if we need a huge national presence at 11:11 am on Saturday. My thought would be that a local schedule on SNY/Nesn/3 and a National game on a Friday night plus maybe some late season pickups if we are in contention, maybe a game like Mizzou as well could work better than being on ESPN 8 or CBSSN. And making better games and trying to build on rivalries in and out of the league makes sense too.

Reaction Score

I still think #3 is much bigger than #s 1 and 2.

Hathaway was just the worst.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jjblox

Top Bottom