Olympics Basketball | Page 9 | The Boneyard

Olympics Basketball

Reaction Score
Giddey has been good so far through 2, we've seen ordinary guys transform in FIBA but I'm interested in seeing how he does with the Bulls, still very young

Never understood the amount of bashing the Bulls got over only getting Giddey for Caruso. Caruso is a really good defender and will absolutely help OKC but Giddey is the more talented player and he's still just a kid. Bulls management stinks but I didn't see this as a highway robbery. Giddey is still just a kid and the change of scenery should do him well, he can play.

Reaction Score
France wins in OT, Japan had nothing left and Wemby took over. the call to force OT was homecooking, very soft foul on the 3pt attempt. I know nothing about Japan's national team but surprised Keisei Tominaga that played for Nebraska can't get any minutes for them, especially since there guards were completely gassed down the stretch and into OT.

Reaction Score
France wins in OT, Japan had nothing left and Wemby took over. the call to force OT was homecooking, very soft foul on the 3pt attempt. I know nothing about Japan's national team but surprised Keisei Tominaga that played for Nebraska can't get any minutes for them, especially since there guards were completely gassed down the stretch and into OT.
Rui got ejected on soft flagrant calls

Reaction Score
3x3 bb… Jimmer Fredette playing and getting star treatment for NPOY jn college. And getting torched in a loss. Couldn’t they find any younger guys?

Reaction Score
It is a more entertaining tournament if France advances, but both those teams are mediocre at best, Japan's tiny guards might be better than that abysmal French backcourt. They'd be way better off if Tony Parker walks thru that door onto the court.

gtcam

Diehard since '65
Reaction Score
Am I missing something? Tatum is obviously a fantastic player. But KD is still a better scorer especially in the Olympic stage and is a legendary player. KD had a near historic performance in the first half and team really only pulled away at the very end. Why is everyone so upset that Tatum, who played pretty poorly leading up to this, not get any run? This isn't park and rec where everyone gets their chance to play. It's the freakin' Olympics.
It’s the freakin’ Olympics!!!!!! Ok Still no reason for JT not to touch the floor. Think Kerr would sit Curry an entire Olympic game? It’s the freakin’ Olympics

Reaction Score
A lot worse hijacking of threads has happened here... its the Olympics... so here goes... US women's rugby gets the bronze on the final play vs the big bad Aussies

Reaction Score
Man, I almost stayed up to watch the Japan v France game (started after midnight Japan time)... would have been a crushing way to go to bed.

Reaction Score
Serbia vs Puerto Rico at 11:15, Tremont Waters playing for PR and of course Jokic for Serbia, a loss eliminates the loser from advancing

EricLA

Cronus
Reaction Score
3x3 bb… Jimmer Fredette playing and getting star treatment for NPOY jn college. And getting torched in a loss. Couldn’t they find any younger guys?
I may get this wrong but here's how it worked on the women's side...

Players have to play 3x3 tournaments to get "points" to be eligible for their team. On the women's team, there is 1 player from college who's mediocre at best, one who flamed out of the W, and the 2 others who are in the W - so not sure how they are on the team. But the players are supposed to be chosen from a "pool" of eligible candidates who have racked up points by playing in tournaments...

One of the players (Brink) is a rookie in the W and from Stanford - she's really good. But she got injured and they replaced her with another W player - Hamby. The other one is Howard, who is a really solid player in the W.

My guess is that not only do the men's players need to earn points or rankings from playing tournaments, but I can't imagine many, if any, men from the NBA who would like to take time away from working out and preparing for NBA games, etc. to focus on building chemistry with a 3x3 team in such a different format.

Still, Kareem Maddox, Jimmer Fredette, Canyon Barry (6) and Dylan Travis... that's the best we could do? USA didn't even qualify for the 3x3 in the Tokyo Olympics...

Reaction Score

Players have to play 3x3 tournaments to get "points" to be eligible for their team. On the women's team, there is 1 player from college who's mediocre at best, one who flamed out of the W, and the 2 others who are in the W - so not sure how they are on the team. But the players are supposed to be chosen from a "pool" of eligible candidates who have racked up points by playing in tournaments...

One of the players (Brink) is a rookie in the W and from Stanford - she's really good. But she got injured and they replaced her with another W player - Hamby. The other one is Howard, who is a really solid player in the W.

My guess is that not only do the men's players need to earn points or rankings from playing tournaments, but I can't imagine many, if any, men from the NBA who would like to take time away from working out and preparing for NBA games, etc. to focus on building chemistry with a 3x3 team in such a different format.

Still, Kareem Maddox, Jimmer Fredette, Canyon Barry (6) and Dylan Travis... that's the best we could do? USA didn't even qualify for the 3x3 in the Tokyo Olympics...
Hailey Van Lith has prior 3x3 experience, she's won Gold at both the youth and senior level tournaments. not sure about Rhyne Howard's past experience in that format but she was the worst player on the court for the USA women. Kept getting lost on defense and couldn't make a shot.

EricLA

Cronus
Reaction Score
Hailey Van Lith has prior 3x3 experience, she's won Gold at both the youth and senior level tournaments. not sure about Rhyne Howard's past experience in that format but she was the worst player on the court for the USA women. Kept getting lost on defense and couldn't make a shot.
Makes sense. 5x5 in the W is a completely different animal. Probably why they want to have "pools" of eligible players for the 3x3 - both men and women who have experience with the format...

StllH8L8ner

You’ll get nothing and like it!
Reaction Score

Need the artist formerly known as Chris Jackson out there. 3v3 legend.

Reaction Score

This is actually where the USA should use college players vs washed up 3-on-3 pro circuit players. They could still use the points system for >25 and grant eligibility to anyone that played in college the most recent season.

Reigning NCAA champ plays in qualifiers vs whatever pro teams exist and voila instead of 13-years-too-late Jimmer & the worst Barry brother we could have Donovan, Tristan, CAM & Castle!

It is kind of funny that they use the now outdated pickup convention of one's and two's (pickup players were either too dumb or too argumentative to use 2's and 3's), I wonder if originally it was make-it, take-it?

Marat

The Champ Is Here.
Reaction Score
a lil bit more prepared and ready for South Sudan so far
Definately, looks like that so far. South Sudan may get blown out, but they will give others trouble - they are a scrappy bunch.

Reaction Score
Definately, looks like that so far. South Sudan may get blown out, but they will give others trouble - they are a scrappy bunch.
yea they're athletic and long as hell, they got like 3-4 dudes that you can tell grew up watching KD as their favorite player. Assuming USA maintains this, I'm looking forward to Serbia vs South Sudan for the final spot to advance from pool play.

Reaction Score
a lil bit more prepared and ready for South Sudan so far
Picking up the defense full court was one adjustment as well as taking away the 3s but having the help defense better positioned if the South Sudan players drive to the basket, but without yielding completely open catch and shoot 3s in rythm. Their defensive rotations are much crisper and faster.

Joel Embiid isn't a good defensive match up in this game which is why he is sitting. I won't pile on him or throw the baby out with the bath water-Joel can provide some useful minutes later on in this tournament.

Reaction Score
Tiffany Hayes (playing for Azerbaijan) just absolutely dominated Team USA women's 3x3. Van Lith is so bad.

Reaction Score
FIBA rules and officiating is so much better than the NBA, but some of the flagrant calls are absurd.

Reaction Score

How many points does Tiffany Hayes get for schooling the US players? They might want to re-evaluate the selection methodology.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
SDHuski

Top Bottom