Olympics Basketball | Page 22 | The Boneyard

Olympics Basketball

Reaction Score
In the early games Curry couldn't throw the ball into the ocean. In the 4th quarter of the gold medal game he was completely unconscious. He couldn't miss. Just amazing.

Hunt for 7

Built Hurley Strong
Reaction Score
So is winning the gold more of an accomplishment? Lol. Not many blowouts but they got it done. As some of us said, you can't take what you see in exhibitions and project that out to the real games. Can you at least say you were wrong?

O.K. I'm done trolling (your word) you. Good day, sir.
I was wrong. I went to far calling you a troll, I do apologize for that, I was wrong for doing that as your posting history has too much cred for me to have gone down that road.

But looking at it now winning the gold was an accomplishment not a given which is kind of where I was from the beginning. I am not shocked they won the gold medal. In fact calling it an accomplishment turned out to be a pretty accurate assessment of how things turned out.

Not sure you are old enough to remember the gold medal game against Russia. The older Collins was on that team made of college players lost the game as Russia was given three chances to win the game.

I was a young kid. I think it was the 72 games so I was not even ten years old but I was mad as heck about that and I definitely cried after that game. That game meant a whole bunch as we were still ducking under our desks in school during the nuclear bomb drills. I hated Russia for having to watch the kids in my class start crying every time that alarm went off and we had to get under our desks and prepare to die.

So for me that is my reference point. That game mattered a whole bunch more than any Men’s BB gold medal until the dream team ended all speculation. If Russia and China were going to use grown men who were as professional as you could get we did the same and showed the world the real deal.

As I have outlined I was not rooting for other countries. The US had some players or at least one player who is a straight up jerk. Is anyone really a fan of Embid, I will never forget him grabbing Robinson leg and twisting when he was on the ground in the playoff series against the Knicks. Embid is everything in a player that as UConn fans we despise. Doubt he would have been recruited by our staff when he was entering college.

Embid just played for the US because he wanted a gold medal. For me this was all about character and desire.

As for the team I knew they would be challenged and as I have stated my problem except for Curry and LeBron, I have issues with how some of the players on this team conduct themselves.

But as you noted I am fine moving on and I do apologize for the troll reference.

But I am six figures better on my betting app betting against them to cover during the last two games.

Last edited:
Reaction Score
All I know is that the point spreads for the last two games were completely out of line. Easy money betting on Serbia and France to cover.

We won the gold but you can’t say it was in dominant fashion.

Of course I was skewered for doubting how great this team was before the Olympics.

Yes they won but it was not a given and as it turned out it was a win/win for some of us that went against the grain and knew that they were still the best but there were some cracks in the invincible armor and of course the Joker once again showing everyone who the best player in the world is.
Mr Rogers Clown GIF

Waquoit

Mr. Positive
Reaction Score
All I know is that the point spreads for the last two games were completely out of line. Easy money betting on Serbia and France to cover.

We won the gold but you can’t say it was in dominant fashion.
If you wanted to get on the USA, you had to pay the homer premium. Look at the talent we had on the floor and the struggle took to win. That just means the basketball is truly a world game now.

Hunt for 7

Built Hurley Strong
Reaction Score
If you wanted to get on the USA, you had to pay the homer premium. Look at the talent we had on the floor and the struggle took to win. That just means the basketball is truly a world game now.
Thank you for posting a reasonable response. I agree the game is now international. Also agree with your comment that the games at least a few were struggles.

16.5 points for France it’s amazing how smart the odds makers are. Like you said no matter what the spread people were going to bet USA. Not sure what the books made but I would not be surprised if there was more dead money bet on the US than on France or Serbia.

Just very happy it stood out like neon to me.

Reaction Score
The French women do not look very good but the U.S. keeps throwing the ball away and not grabbing defensive rebounds so it’s close. Very low scoring game so far

Gabby Williams is playing for France, didn’t know that! Just nailed a three

Reaction Score
I’ve been calling for less Taurasi all Olympics, but this might be a good time to give her a little playing time. The moment seems a little too big for some of the players right now, and they could use a veteran presence.

Reaction Score
It’s tough to root against your countries team….not sure that is where I was. But along these lines my problem is not with them as team USA. It’s knowing how they act and how entitled they act during the nba regular season. I used to be a big nba fan when it resembled basketball with defense and effort during the regular season.

Hard to root for guys making 10’s of millions of dollars to play a game and buying a ticket to a game to find out one of the stars is feeling a little tired and needs a day off to rest. When that started happening on a regular basis I was out as a fan.

Brother you are thinking way too hard about this.

storrsroars

Exiled in Pittsburgh
Reaction Score
First half not a ringing endorsement for women's BB. Both teams shooting under 28%. US already has more TOs in a half than Geno's teams do in a full 40. Neither Stewie nor Wilson can finish.

Never been much of a Griner fan, but I think US can use a bit more of her in 2nd.

I think US will win, but geez, this is icky hoops.

Reaction Score
I was wrong. I went to far calling you a troll, I do apologize for that, I was wrong for doing that as your posting history has too much cred for me to have gone down that road.

But looking at it now winning the gold was an accomplishment not a given which is kind of where I was from the beginning. I am not shocked they won the gold medal. In fact calling it an accomplishment turned out to be a pretty accurate assessment of how things turned out.

Not sure you are old enough to remember the gold medal game against Russia. The older Collins was on that team made of college players lost the game as Russia was given three chances to win the game.

I was a young kid. I think it was the 72 games so I was not even ten years old but I was mad as heck about that and I definitely cried after that game. That game meant a whole bunch as we were still ducking under our desks in school during the nuclear bomb drills. I hated Russia for having to watch the kids in my class start crying every time that alarm went off and we had to get under our desks and prepare to die.

So for me that is my reference point. That game mattered a whole bunch more than any Men’s BB gold medal until the dream team ended all speculation. If Russia and China were going to use grown men who were as professional as you could get we did the same and showed the world the real deal.

As I have outlined I was not rooting for other countries. The US had some players or at least one player who is a straight up jerk. Is anyone really a fan of Embid, I will never forget him grabbing Robinson leg and twisting when he was on the ground in the playoff series against the Knicks. Embid is everything in a player that as UConn fans we despise. Doubt he would have been recruited by our staff when he was entering college.

Embid just played for the US because he wanted a gold medal. For me this was all about character and desire.

As for the team I knew they would be challenged and as I have stated my problem except for Curry and LeBron, I have issues with how some of the players on this team conduct themselves.

But as you noted I am fine moving on and I do apologize for the troll reference.

But I am six figures better on my betting app betting against them to cover during the last two games.
Part of the problem, based on prior history and that we are sending the best guys from the best basketball league in the world, is everyone expects the U.S. to dominate like they used to. I think those days are over. The rest of the world has somewhat caught up. The U.S. is still the best basketball in the world but it's just not as dominant as it used to be.

Everyone needs to adjust their expectations and be happy to win the gold rather than looking at how close the games are and being disappointed. I will admit it was somewhat disappointing to see a guy like Yubesele for France playing so well against the U.S. when all I could think about was he stunk when he was with the Celtics and couldn't get off the bench. We're sending the best guys from the best league in the world and lower level guys from the NBA like Fournier and Yubesele are playing well against them. How does that happen? It's all about expectations sometimes. I do wonder if in 4 years the betting lines will be closer and the expectations more in line with reality.

Reaction Score
Gonna need Wilson and Stewart to separate themselves in the 2nd half, not surprised that France's athleticism is giving the US issues but wasn't expecting it to be this bad

Reaction Score
Had no idea Gabby Williams was French no suprise at all to see her all over the court. Need to have Stewie going toward the basket and might need to get some minutes from Taurasi.

Reaction Score
I’m pretty all set with both Kerr and Reeve. There needs to be a coaching reset ahead of LA.

Reaction Score
France 8-0 run to start the second half (!!)

Aja Wilson is completely flustered. Has left at least 6-8 points at the rim by just missing layups

Breanna can’t get anything going either

Reaction Score
Had no idea Gabby Williams was French no suprise at all to see her all over the court. Need to have Stewie going toward the basket and might need to get some minutes from Taurasi.
Her mother is from France

Reaction Score
USA women could use another guard that can get into the paint and also push out on the break, I wonder who that guard might be...

Reaction Score
I give France the edge in the next Olympics as of now with a 24 year old Wembayana. Hurley has a lot of work to do to beat them. I doubt we'll have a 44 year old Lebron, a 40 year old Curry and a 39 year old KD.
They better develop some guards and wings by then, if not I don't see them being a serious threat, they won't have homecooking to get them out of pool play like they did this year

Reaction Score
I’m pretty all set with both Kerr and Reeve. There needs to be a coaching reset ahead of LA.
Kerr is off the hook we’ll see about Reave. Your top players also have to take over, the coaches can’t do that for you.

Reaction Score
Aja starting to come alive defensively and no surprise it’s led to a USA run to put us back in front!

Reaction Score
Wilson finally coming to life. Stewart needs to wake up when she gets back in there.

Reaction Score
Madness that Sabrina didn't play at all until well into the 3rd, look how much better the offense looked with her in

Hunt for 7

Built Hurley Strong
Reaction Score
Part of the problem, based on prior history and that we are sending the best guys from the best basketball league in the world, is everyone expects the U.S. to dominate like they used to. I think those days are over. The rest of the world has somewhat caught up. The U.S. is still the best basketball in the world but it's just not as dominant as it used to be.

Everyone needs to adjust their expectations and be happy to win the gold rather than looking at how close the games are and being disappointed. I will admit it was somewhat disappointing to see a guy like Yubesele for France playing so well against the U.S. when all I could think about was he stunk when he was with the Celtics and couldn't get off the bench. We're sending the best guys from the best league in the world and lower level guys from the NBA like Fournier and Yubesele are playing well against them. How does that happen? It's all about expectations sometimes. I do wonder if in 4 years the betting lines will be closer and the expectations more in line with reality.
I do need to correct one item. $5k X 2 is five figures not six. Not sure how I got that wrong. Guess all the excitement of the moment got to me.

Reaction Score
Say what we want about the coaching but a great coaching adjustment got the US back in the game

1. Guards’ job is to pressure HARD
  2. If you get beat, Aja’s job is to protect the rim
  3. If you turn the ball over, you get pulled

Reaction Score
Madness that Sabrina didn't play at all until well into the 3rd, look how much better the offense looked with her in
Griner also dominated in her brief stint and hasn’t seen the floor again. I don’t think Reeve has any clue how to use this roster.

Reaction Score
And now the refs are taking over and trying to hand this game to France. Ridiculous officiating in the 4th.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
JerseyAlum

Top Bottom