Olympics Basketball | Page 7 | The Boneyard

Olympics Basketball

Reaction Score
KD didn't start, you're complaining about a game you watched zero minutes of.
Seems strange that Kerr didn't put Tatum in at all.

"I went with the combinations that made sense," coach Steve Kerr told reporters, via the Boston Globe's Gary Washburn. "That was for tonight. He handled it well. He'll make his mark

Durant, who returned from a calf injury against Serbia, effectively took Tatum's spot in the rotation. Kerr told reporters that the DNP-CD was mostly a result of getting Durant in the mix, per the Globe's Adam Himmelsbach.

Asked if he was sick, as both Joel Embiid and Anthony Davis had to miss recent practices due to illness, Tatum said, "No, I'm good," per the Globe.

Reaction Score
The absence of Tatum, who last month signed a five-year contract extension with the world champions that is now the richest in NBA history, was surprising. Pacers guard Tyrese Haliburton, who was used somewhat sparingly during the exhibition slate and is considered a tier below Tatum, was the only other US player who did not appear in the game.

“It’s really hard in a 40-minute game to play more than 10 guys,” Kerr said. “With Kevin coming back, I just went to the combinations that I felt made the most sense. It seems crazy. I thought I was crazy when I looked at everything and determined these are the lineups I wanted to get to. Jayson is first-team All-NBA three years in a row. He’s one of the best players in the world. I went with the combinations I felt would make sense, and I talked to him, and he was incredibly professional.”

Alternate access:

Kevin Durant delivers, Jayson Tatum sits, and other observations from Team USA’s dominant Olympic win over Serbia

Reaction Score
The absence of Tatum, who last month signed a five-year contract extension with the world champions that is now the richest in NBA history, was surprising. Pacers guard Tyrese Haliburton, who was used somewhat sparingly during the exhibition slate and is considered a tier below Tatum, was the only other US player who did not appear in the game.

“It’s really hard in a 40-minute game to play more than 10 guys,” Kerr said. “With Kevin coming back, I just went to the combinations that I felt made the most sense. It seems crazy. I thought I was crazy when I looked at everything and determined these are the lineups I wanted to get to. Jayson is first-team All-NBA three years in a row. He’s one of the best players in the world. I went with the combinations I felt would make sense, and I talked to him, and he was incredibly professional.”

Alternate access:

Kevin Durant delivers, Jayson Tatum sits, and other observations from Team USA’s dominant Olympic win over Serbia

I'm a Celtics guy and I have zero problem with Tatum being benched. He stunk in the warm-up games and has shot it poorly since the start of April.

The Celtics fans getting bent out of shape about this are embarrassing. JT shot himself into the cheerleader role.

Reaction Score
People complaining about Tatum not playing didn’t watch any of the lead up games. Derrick White has also been great and brings different factors to the game that Tatum doesn’t necessarily.

Reaction Score
Seems strange that Kerr didn't put Tatum in at all.

"I went with the combinations that made sense," coach Steve Kerr told reporters, via the Boston Globe's Gary Washburn. "That was for tonight. He handled it well. He'll make his mark

Durant, who returned from a calf injury against Serbia, effectively took Tatum's spot in the rotation. Kerr told reporters that the DNP-CD was mostly a result of getting Durant in the mix, per the Globe's Adam Himmelsbach.

Asked if he was sick, as both Joel Embiid and Anthony Davis had to miss recent practices due to illness, Tatum said, "No, I'm good," per the Globe.

He stunk in the exhibitions and I honestly haven't liked watching him play in FIBA since the U18 team with Giles and Jackson, but Kerr has to figure out at least 8-10 minutes if there were no health issues involved. I'm assuming this is Bron and KD's FIBA swan song, can't alienate one of your best young wings who should still be in his prime for next Olympic cycle when they probably already burnt up a bridge with Jaylen Brown.

Reaction Score
People complaining about Tatum not playing didn’t watch any of the lead up games. Derrick White has also been great and brings different factors to the game that Tatum doesn’t necessarily.

You can only have so many scorers. I'm seeing the kind of tier-3 players like White making winning plays. The stuff that isn't obvious in the box score.

Reaction Score
He stunk in the exhibitions and I honestly haven't liked watching him play in FIBA since the U18 team with Giles and Jackson, but Kerr has to figure out at least 8-10 minutes if there were no health issues involved. I'm assuming this is Bron and KD's FIBA swan song, can't alienate one of your best young wings who should still be in his prime for next Olympic cycle when they probably already burnt up a bridge with Jaylen Brown.
I was infuriated with him in the exhibition against South Sudan and I have not like watching him play so far for Team USA. I think Derrick White has found his role and fit in better with Team USA than Tatum. Having said all of that, I still think Tatum could've gotten a few minutes of playing time in the 4th quarter, say at the 5 minute mark when the game was out of hand. I am not all up in arms about him not getting playing time, however.

HuskyWarrior611

Mid range white knight
Reaction Score
I was infuriated with him in the exhibition against South Sudan and I have not like watching him play so far for Team USA. I think Derrick White has found his role and fit in better with Team USA than Tatum. Having said all of that, I still think Tatum could've gotten a few minutes of playing time in the 4th quarter, say at the 5 minute mark when the game was out of hand. I am not all up in arms about him not getting playing time, however.
I think point differential is apart of the standings which is why teams keep their starters in. And Steph took that last shot. Lol

HuskyWarrior611

Mid range white knight
Reaction Score
JT isn’t replacing KD, at least today.
Honestly if Embiid wasn’t there he’d probably have a role.

AD and Bam are taking up a lot of the backup 4 minutes he’s get otherwise

Reactions: caw
Reaction Score
I'm a Celtics guy and I have zero problem with Tatum being benched. He stunk in the warm-up games and has shot it poorly since the start of April.

The Celtics fans getting bent out of shape about this are embarrassing. JT shot himself into the cheerleader role.
Do you think he'll play any positive role for the team in these Olympics?

Reaction Score
I stand by my post. Kerr is an idiot for not giving a Top 5 player some minutes and embarrassing him like that.
Dude KD was 8/8 in first half (5/5 from 3 and buzzer beater to end half) and didn’t miss until very late in game. Gotta ride the hot hand.

Reaction Score
Yes, point differential works as a tiebreaker in case of even standings in pool play, and it is also used to seed teams for the elimination rounds. So, pour it on! USA wants to be #1 seed.

And, yes, Derrick White has done very well in the "glue guy" role, doing whatever is needed to fill any gaps in what's happening. In general, these are my favorite type of player. Every team, no matter how talented, needs at least one of these dudes.

I watch a TON of high-school hoops, and this role is often filled on the better teams by the coach's kid. Kid might only score a few points, rarely are plays run to get him shots, but he does everything he can to get in the other team's hair. Timely steals, good screens, timely rebounds, defend the other team's top scorer, the first guy on the floor after loose balls, etc. I absolutely LOVE to watch guys like this!

Reaction Score
You can only have so many scorers. I'm seeing the kind of tier-3 players like White making winning plays. The stuff that isn't obvious in the box score.
It wouldn’t be hard for a competent coach to find Tatum a backup role at either/both forward spots where he can go in and switch everything on defense, grab a bunch of rebounds, play make for his teammates, and attack the basket on occasion.

Tatum was pretty bad in the lead up games. But apparently that only matters for him and didn’t impact minutes for guys like Embiid and Booker who are still starting.

Reaction Score
Tatum was pretty bad in the lead up games. But apparently that only matters for him and didn’t impact minutes for guys like Embiid and Booker who are still starting.
C’mon
A. KD greatest score in Olympic history got health and plays Tatum’s position
B. Given playoff wear and tear as a Celtics fan I’d rather Tatum get rest and can find bright side of motivating him to prove he’s better than Durant & others.

Reactions: caw
Reaction Score
It wouldn’t be hard for a competent coach to find Tatum a backup role at either/both forward spots where he can go in and switch everything on defense, grab a bunch of rebounds, play make for his teammates, and attack the basket on occasion.

There are a lot more guards/wings on the team. Plus, Bam has been playing the 4 mostly, so Embiid and AD are the only Centers. JT will play next game I’m sure of it. But, he needs to provide more than ISO scoring if he wants to get consistent minutes.

Reaction Score
Couple thoughts:

1) Tatum could easily steal some minutes from Booker, White and/or Holiday especially when Steph & Lebron are in and can handle the ball.

2) I thought there was an opportunity to play Tatum after AD got his 2nd foul and Kerr went Bam/Lebron for like 7 straight minutes in the 2Q. I would have given Lebron a breather late in 2Q for Tatum once it was clear KD was en fuego.

3) You need 2-3 guys who are comfortable never playing and clearly Tatum isn't that guy. Haliburton seems happy, I guess White should have been the guy but has earned more PT.

4) The roster construction by Grant Hill was really poor. What if Kawhi never backed out? You would have Tatum, Lebron, KD and Kawhi all playing the same position. Sure you can move Lebron around but still.

5) Have not been impressed by Kerr one bit. He needs to start Steph, ANT, KD, Lebron and AD next game. Clearly the best 5.

Reaction Score
The comments about KD and Lebron matter a little less when you remember that Devin Booker started at SF yesterday :)

But it was a 26 point blowout win where we shot 62% FG and 56% 3P. What is there to complain about?

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
SDHuski

Top Bottom