Olympics Basketball | Page 8 | The Boneyard

Olympics Basketball

Reaction Score
Had the Celtics lost in the playoffs the #1 reason/story would have been Tatum's shooting, esp 3pt% and shot selection (43% FG, 28% 3s). Now he's a cog as a scorer (not playmaker) on a team where Durant came in and perfectly executed and embodies the ideal role of being a knock-down shot maker. So Tatum did not play b/c his shooting esp 3pt shooting is meh, vastly inferior to Durant's.

Reaction Score
Am I missing something? Tatum is obviously a fantastic player. But KD is still a better scorer especially in the Olympic stage and is a legendary player. KD had a near historic performance in the first half and team really only pulled away at the very end. Why is everyone so upset that Tatum, who played pretty poorly leading up to this, not get any run? This isn't park and rec where everyone gets their chance to play. It's the freakin' Olympics.

Reaction Score
Am I missing something? Tatum is obviously a fantastic player. But KD is still a better scorer especially in the Olympic stage and is a legendary player. KD had a near historic performance in the first half and team really only pulled away at the very end. Why is everyone so upset that Tatum, who played pretty poorly leading up to this, not get any run? This isn't park and rec where everyone gets their chance to play. It's the freakin' Olympics.
I’m confused at the situation in general. I’m assuming the purpose for getting worked up about Tatum’s minutes is because he’s a star and a reigning champion that would have helped team USA win

But they won by almost 30! It was the biggest blowout of the weekend. Is the outrage because we wanted to win by 35 instead? Or are we worried about hurting people’s feelings while entering group play of the OLYMPICS?

Reaction Score
KD had a near historic performance in the first half and team really only pulled away at the very end.
Not really. Up 5 after 1st quarter, 9 at the half, 19 after 3rd quarter and 26 at the end of the game. So that seems like they slowly pulled away, but 3rd quarter was the best.

Reaction Score
part of it here in the video below, if you lose Tatum along with pretty much the Jaylen Brown bridge being burnt up, who are your wings and hybrid 3/4s in 2028? Banchero will be in play at the 4 but you need more switchable 3/4s like the role KD/Bron currently occupy. Will someone like Brandon Miller be ready by then? who knows but you at least have more of a sure thing that produced in the 2021 in Tatum, you want to keep that relationship alive. nobody is asking for Tatum to play 20 minutes but I think finding 8-10 was reasonable somewhere along the line. I'm sure Kerr will adjust because that has probably been communicated him to from the top of USA Basketball.

Reaction Score
don't usually see Legler get worked up like this

I guaranty you Legler doesn't even believe that -- it's just controversy to increase clicks or ratings. A coach's job isn't being respectful to a player -- it's about winning games and championships. Being "respectful" is only impactful if it affects winning this tournament. I don't care if you think Tatum is the best player in the world -- we're trying to put the best TEAM on the floor, not the best five players. UConn has won plenty of championships where we didn't have the best players, but did have the best team. The thought that this makes winning in '28 harder is beyond stupid. Who knows if Tatum will be playing basketball then, uninjured and at a high level, without others having become better. And who knows if we'll need him at home to win.

The coach's job is to win the gold this year. Nothing that occurred yesterday could cause a rational person to believe he was jeopardizing that.

Reaction Score
I guaranty you Legler doesn't even believe that -- it's just controversy to increase clicks or ratings. A coach's job isn't being respectful to a player -- it's about winning games and championships. Being "respectful" is only impactful if it affects winning this tournament. I don't care if you think Tatum is the best player in the world -- we're trying to put the best TEAM on the floor, not the best five players. UConn has won plenty of championships where we didn't have the best players, but did have the best team. The thought that this makes winning in '28 harder is beyond stupid. Who knows if Tatum will be playing basketball then, uninjured and at a high level, without others having become better. And who knows if we'll need him at home to win.

The coach's job is to win the gold this year. Nothing that occurred yesterday could cause a rational person to believe he was jeopardizing that.
nothing about the way Legler carries himself and the way that pod does business is about generating clicks and engagement bait, the All-NBA pod with Legler is just straight basketball talk, it's not some First Take or Skip Bayless type nonsense.

Last edited:
Reaction Score
part of it here in the video below, if you lose Tatum along with pretty much the Jaylen Brown bridge being burnt up, who are your wings and hybrid 3/4s in 2028? Banchero will be in play at the 4 but you need more switchable 3/4s like the role KD/Bron currently occupy. Will someone like Brandon Miller be ready by then? who knows but you at least have more of a sure thing that produced in the 2021 in Tatum, you want to keep that relationship alive. nobody is asking for Tatum to play 20 minutes but I think finding 8-10 was reasonable somewhere along the line. I'm sure Kerr will adjust because that has probably been communicated him to from the top of USA Basketball.

If Tatum won’t play in 2028 because he’s upset he didn’t get minutes in 2024 (on a team with Lebron, KD, and Curry doing their last Olympics), then he’s softer than Charmin

2028 is his and Ant Edwards’ team, and he definitely knows that. I don’t think he’ll refuse to play because he didn’t get a lot of PT 4 years prior

Reaction Score
Tatum is aferall a whining Dookie... Why would you expect anything else?

On another note, the NBC coverage of a classic sporting event is horrible once again... The frequency of commercials per broadcast hour has to be in world record territory.

Reaction Score
C’mon
A. KD greatest score in Olympic history got health and plays Tatum’s position
B. Given playoff wear and tear as a Celtics fan I’d rather Tatum get rest and can find bright side of motivating him to prove he’s better than Durant & others.
What’s KD have to do with Tatum getting a handful of backup minutes?

Personally, I think Durant should be starting and Tatum should be playing over guys like Booker, Jrue, and Bam. But the main point is that he’s a versatile enough player to be able to fill many roles for this team from game to game (i.e., how his role changed nearly every game in the finals, even when his shooting was off).

Reaction Score

Personally, I think Durant should be starting and Tatum should be playing over guys like Booker, Jrue, and Bam. But the main point is that he’s a versatile enough player to be able to fill many roles for this team from game to game (i.e., how his role changed nearly every game in the finals, even when his shooting was off).
He absolutely should not be playing over Jrue

Reaction Score

If you saw the exhibitions Tatum was getting a handful of minutes off the bench, in 1st game of being healthy Durant used in that exact same role and shot the lights out.

Kerr says Tatum will play vs South Sudan due to better matchup, so probably less Embid or Bam.

HuskyWarrior611

Mid range white knight
Reaction Score
If you saw the exhibitions Tatum was getting a handful of minutes off the bench, in 1st game of being healthy Durant used in that exact same role and shot the lights out.

Kerr says Tatum will play vs South Sudan due to better matchup, so probably less Embid or Bam.
If Bam has to sit for Tatum and Embiid then it’s not really about who’s playing the best.

Reaction Score

There in lies the problem - they shouldn’t be playing the same role.

Durant is much more of a floor spacer and was used properly in that role. Tatum should be an international 4 whose role is to attack relentlessly, find open teammates, switch all over the place, and help control the defensive glass.

Reaction Score
I really love all the people on every social media platform claiming to have a clue what Tatum is thinking.

Players wanna play--duh. I doubt he's oblivious to the fact that his shooting has been off and KD is red hot in what is probably his last Olympic run. If he was 6'3 he'd be playing over Jrue and White... but he's not. There's a 6'12 scoring machine in front of him.

There's really nothing to see here IMO until Tatum shows his cards.

Reaction Score
Giddey has been good so far through 2, we've seen ordinary guys transform in FIBA but I'm interested in seeing how he does with the Bulls, still very young

HuskyWarrior611

Mid range white knight
Reaction Score
Giddey has been good so far through 2, we've seen ordinary guys transform in FIBA but I'm interested in seeing how he does with the Bulls, still very young

He hit a step back contested 3 that had me wondering who was this Giddey??

To think Ben Simmons should be on this Australia team too.

Reaction Score
win or lose the French takeover of the basketball world has been greatly exaggerated. struggling with Japan and currently trailing in the 4th, they were terrible in the exhibitions leading up to the Olympics, and that is after they were terrible in last year's World Cup. They're going to need to develop some guards because Killian Hayes and Frank Nik have been complete busts. Nolan Traore has the hype but so did the 2 lottery pick guards that preceded him.

Reaction Score
this France vs Japan game is crazy, Japan up 84-80 and France hits a 3 and gets fouled to tie it with 10 secs left and forces OT

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
SDHuski

Top Bottom