Ollie Suing Glen Miller for Slander | Page 6 | The Boneyard

Ollie Suing Glen Miller for Slander

Status
Not open for further replies.

CL82

NCAA Men’s Basketball National Champions - Again!
Reaction Score
UConn didn't want to pay him. The cause stuff is concocted because it is penny-ante stuff that has always been part of this program. In trying to save $8m, they run the risk of losing a lot more.

I have written this multiple times in this thread. Nothing Ollie did ever bothered them before, nor would it bother any other good program in the USA. The only thing he did wrong was be a really bad coach/mentor his last 3 or so years.
The cause stuff absolutely isn't penny ante and it certainly isn't "concocted." Paying for illegal travel and room and board to attend illegal coaching sessions staffed by an illegal coach (illegal = in violation of NCAA rules) is serious stuff. So serious in fact that Ollie is looking a show cause order. That's not a secondary violation.

What the heck is up with you today? You are (in my view at least) a pretty solid poster. It is unusual for you to be so far off on the facts for such a high profile matter.

Last edited:
Reaction Score
So are you really saying that the University of Connecticut should pay someone $10M that they otherwise are not entitled to as a part of a cover up of alleged illegal payments to a players mom? Because that is a world class example of the cover up being worse than the crime.

C'mon upstater you're better than that.

uh, the exact reason schools usually pay the buyout or whatever is to avoid this kind of soap opera. Dirty laundry and all.

Reaction Score
The cause stuff absolutely isn't penny ante. Paying for illegal travel and room and board to attend illegal coaching sessions staffed by an illegal coach (illegal = in violation of NCAA rules) is serious stuff. So serious in fact that Ollie is looking a show cause order. That's not a secondary violation.

What the heck is up with you today? You are (in my view at least) a pretty solid poster. It is unusual for you to be so far off on the facts for such a high profile matter.

Compare this stuff to what has gone on at UConn and elsewhere before.

He paid for players to get training.

Compare that to money passing hands (even if it wasn't by a staffer) or what goes on in many different placs.

I think it is myopic that UConn fans are not seeing that coaches who get fired elsewhere under a lot worse circumstances still get paid. It was an absolute coup that they convinced Hurley to come to UConn given the precedent set. It's great that Hurley came.

Now, if this blows up in UConn's face, all I'm saying is that it didn't have to be this way.

Reaction Score
Um, so very, very difficult for KO to win in his suit against GM. It doesn't help "his other court case" (arbitration?) because UConn did not use this allegation as a basis for KO just cause dismissal.
No, but they did use Miller, and so did the NCAA.

Reaction Score
I think it is myopic that UConn fans are not seeing that coaches who get fired elsewhere under a lot worse circumstances still get paid. It was an absolute coup that they convinced Hurley to come to UConn given the precedent set. It's great that Hurley came.

Really....did you know about Florida football? No NCAA violations alleged

"Florida officials believe it could fire McElwain with cause, nullifying the buyout completely. UF believes it shouldn’t have to pay McElwain "anything" because he withheld claims about death threats from university officials."

Reaction Score
Really....did you know about Florida football? No NCAA violations alleged

"Florida officials believe it could fire McElwain with cause, nullifying the buyout completely. UF believes it shouldn’t have to pay McElwain "anything" because he withheld claims about death threats from university officials."

except that they did pay him

Reaction Score
Compare that to money passing hands (even if it wasn't by a staffer) or what goes on in many different placs.
Now, if this blows up in UConn's face, all I'm saying is that it didn't have to be this way.
Or maybe Ollie's job performance was so openly, obviously and flagrantly bad & negligent that no one, regardless of how much whataboutism is spun into precedent, would ever pay him one more dime on top of the dimes he'd already been paid for not doing his job.

Reaction Score
If you think coaches aren't violating their contract 99.9% of every second of every day, you're not paying attention.
[/QUOTE]
They are and if their contract is written the way Ollie's is and they suck they can be fired for cause. If you're going to cheat don't suck. Don't know why you're bringing up K, Roy, Self etc.

CL82

Reaction Score
If you think coaches aren't violating their contract 99.9% of every second of every day, you're not paying attention.

What would it matter whether KO got the undeserved 10 million or not? Once the school is aware of violation it must report it. Failure to so is institutional fraud. Are you really advocating for that?

This wasn't just "paying for his kids to get training" this was a UConn coach illegally paying for illegal travel and illegal room and board to attend illegal coaching sessions staffed by an illegal coach. That's not trivial. It is a fluster cluck of rule breaking and administrative ineptitude. The NCAA would have dropped a wall on us if we didn't self report it.

What do you believe has happen in the past that is worse than this. I tired of these BS slams against Calhoun. So back it up or stop saying it. What do you believe Calhoun did that was worse than that?

Reaction Score
Chief is reserving judgement regarding commenting on this thread. I will decide either later tonight or tomorrow. I certainly have things I would like to say but should I?
chief u were right about MAL's decomittment and a disgruntle former employee

CL82

Reaction Score
People who are comparing Ollie and Calhoun are disrespectful...
I don't mind it but don't be coy about it. Come out and call Calhoun a cheater specifically and name what you believe he did. But the "oh worse stuff has gone on at UConn BS" just gets on my nerves. It is gutless.

Reaction Score
What would it matter whether KO got the undeserved 10 million or not? Once the school is aware of violation it must report it. Failure to so is institutional fraud. Are you really advocating for that?

This wasn't just "paying for his kids to get training" this was a UConn coach illegally paying for illegal travel and illegal room and board to attend illegal coaching sessions staffed by an illegal coach. That's not trivial. It is a fluster cluck of rule breaking and administrative ineptitude. The NCAA would have dropped a wall on us if we didn't self report it.

What do you believe has happen in the past that is worse than this. I tired of these BS slams against Calhoun. So back it up or stop saying it. What do you believe Calhoun did that was worse than that?

Schools report this stuff all the time. UConn always has. In fact, even in the Miles case, Calhoun reported it a full 2 or 3 years before it even became a big deal. But what does that have to do with the contract? Are you saying that once schools find violations and report them, the contract becomes null and void?

Do you have any other example of that? I can't think of one.

As for the program during the Miles fiasco, UConn used Nochimson to recruit Miles. I mean, Tom Moore was explicit about that. Nochimson was the go-between.

Reaction Score
I don't mind it but don't be coy about it. Come out and call Calhoun a cheater specifically and name what you believe he did. But the "oh worse stuff has gone on at UConn BS" just gets on my nerves. It is gutless.

Seriously, we need to recount things every time we say that?

I've been on this board since 1999.

I'm supposed to recount all the violations every time I mention them? Bizarre.

I'm sure everyone would appreciate that if I did.

Reaction Score
except that they did pay him

They did not pay him the full amount...they saved 5 million......and the allegations weren't as severe as Ollie is facing..no NCAA wrongdoing. I would be shocked if Uconn wouldn't have paid Ollie 3-4 to make this go away at the outset

Reaction Score
They are and if their contract is written the way Ollie's is and they suck they can be fired for cause. If you're going to cheat don't suck. Don't know why you're bringing up K, Roy, Self etc.
[/QUOTE]

You're making my exact point!! How many times do I have to say he was fired because he did not coach well and they didn't want to pay him! If he was coaching well, they wouldn't have fired him, they would have paid him, even if they found out he sent players to train with some guy in Georgia!

Reaction Score
Or maybe Ollie's job performance was so openly, obviously and flagrantly bad & negligent that no one, regardless of how much whataboutism is spun into precedent, would ever pay him one more dime on top of the dimes he'd already been paid for not doing his job.

This is exactly what I've said!

CL82

Reaction Score
Seriously, we need to recount things every time we say that?

I've been on this board since 1999.

I'm supposed to recount all the violations every time I mention them? Bizarre.

I'm sure everyone would appreciate that if I did.
Nah instead just keep referring to vague things that happened in the past on the board repeatedly smearing Calhoun each and every time. That's what a real fan would do am I right?

Tell you what, PM me what you think is worse since you are suddenly so concerned about the reputation of a coach and program you've been repeatedly smearing. (Here's a hint, there isn't anything. But you realize that now don't you?)

Status
Not open for further replies.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Texasfan01

Top Bottom