Ollie Suing Glen Miller for Slander | Page 3 | The Boneyard

Ollie Suing Glen Miller for Slander

Status
Not open for further replies.
Reaction Score
Only if every coach is defined as Rick Pitino, John Calipari and other coaches that committed NCAA violations. In terms of other every coaches I think we'd need to review the contract of each, the records and the day-to-day job performance.

The difference YOU and your ilk fail to understand and willfully ignore is that the vast majority of coaches that get fired are at least trying to do their job AND not violating their contracts, so therefore they get paid. Ollie wasn't and therefore didn't.

I don't know but I'd guess Chris Mullin would be a better bad coach comp for you. He wasn't doing his job, admitted as much and resigned with some integrity. I assume he therefore wasn't paid for the remaining contract. I'd guess he probably got some good faith separation payment out of goodwill and b/c he did the right thing by resigning.

Have you paid any attention whatsoever to what's going on in college basketball.

Coach K., Roy Williams, Miller in Arizona, Self at Kansas, all these and more have committed much more egregious offenses than Ollie sending players to work out with a trainer in Georgia.

Reaction Score
Every big time coach/program pays for players. The only shocking thing is how bad they were at it and apparently hiding it once Calhoun gave the reigns to Ollie and company. Clown Car.

Seriously? I mean, have we forgotten about getting dinged here in the past? Office phone records!!! FOIA???!?!

Reaction Score
Every big time coach/program pays for players. The only shocking thing is how bad they were at it and apparently hiding it once Calhoun gave the reigns to Ollie and company. Clown Car.
So I am guessing you think it happened. I am not saying KO or Uconn are above such tactics. But to pay 30K for a 1 year transfer from Cornell? I would be shocked if it were true.

polycom

I heard a beep, who just joined?
Reaction Score
I’ve enjoyed everyone cheering on Miller while they ignore this accusation.

Does anyone think this is true - 30k seems to buy better players than Miller.

Yeah show me something KO has handled well.
So I am guessing you think it happened. I am not saying KO or Uconn are above such tactics. But to pay 30K for a 1 year transfer from Cornell? I would be shocked if it were true.

Why? KO hates recruiting pay money makes recruiting easier...

Reaction Score
Yeah show me something KO has handled well.

Why? KO hates recruiting pay money makes recruiting easier...
Because 30 grand buys a lot more than Shonn Miller. Please-like my old personal add said...serious replies only.

Reaction Score
Have you paid any attention whatsoever to what's going on in college basketball.

Coach K., Roy Williams, Miller in Arizona, Self at Kansas, all these and more have committed much more egregious offenses than Ollie sending players to work out with a trainer in Georgia.
There is hypocrisy in college athletics? You are kidding me. Your arguments don't make sense especially in a court of law. 'Everyone else does it' and 'but he did it first' may work with your mommy, but not your boss.

Reaction Score
There is hypocrisy in college athletics? You are kidding me. Your arguments don't make sense especially in a court of law. 'Everyone else does it' and 'but he did it first' may work with your mommy, but not your boss.

I really don't care about what happens to Ollie. I don't care what the court of law does to him. So your post is a total non-sequitir when it comes to this discussion.

If UConn gets dinged because they strung this out, they only have themselves to blame. That much is obvious.

Reaction Score
He's seeking $15k+?
If he's seeking $15k, why even sue except out of spite? You can't help yourself, you can only inflict legal fees on the other party.
So Miller only has to show that he reasonably believed his wife was telling the truth. And his wife will support that.
Miller's wife is being sued too.
Potentially, $15K x 2 = $30K = alleged payment(s) reimbursement. Oops, the suit seeks > $15K x 2. Regardless, the departed's logic quite frankly may potentially be impaired. Or, potentially his basic math skills may not be too strong. Or, he potentially may be chasing any form of revenge. Or, he potentially may have ignored possible legal advice regarding the potential for subpoenaed financial records. Or, potentially some other stuff thrown against a symbolic wall hoping something sticks or contributing to the preceding hybrid possibilities.

whaler11

Head Happy Hour Coach
Reaction Score
Potentially, $15K x 2 = $30K = alleged payment(s) reimbursement. Oops, the suit seeks > $15K x 2. Regardless, the departed's logic quite frankly may potentially be impaired. Or, potentially his basic math skills may not be too strong. Or, he potentially may be chasing any form of revenge. Or, he potentially may have ignored possible legal advice regarding the potential for subpoenaed financial records. Or, potentially some other stuff thrown against a symbolic wall hoping something sticks or contributing to the preceding hybrid possibilities.

or maybe miller invented the story and ko should get his name cleared. i know - crazy.

Reaction Score

It's a pleading to get them in front of a particular court. He could be looking for $10mm, but you'd still say greater than $15k in the complaint.

Reaction Score
Standard lawsuit language, either less than or greater than 15K. Does not mean more than that.

Yup... Boilerplate.

>>Connecticut General Statutes section 52-91 and Connecticut Practice Book section 10-20 talk about the Statement of Amount in Demand. According to Connecticut General Statutes section 52-91, there are three ways to write the range in which the amount in demand falls. The three ways are: 1) “is fifteen thousand dollars or more…”; 2) “is two thousand five hundred dollars or more but is less than fifteen thousand dollars…”; 3) “is less than two thousand five hundred dollars…” Use the range in which the dollar amount for which you are asking falls. For example, if you are asking for $5,000.00 dollars write “is two thousand five hundred dollars or more but less than fifteen thousand dollars.”<<

Reaction Score
So looks like this is about this part of Miller's testimon
“She articulated to my wife that Kevin provided her with somewhere in the neighborhood, I think, of $30,000 to make the move … and you know with that she was indebted to him, and she would be able to move into an apartment,” Miller told the NCAA’s Assistant Director of Enforcement Russell Register during a November interview in the New London offices of Miller's attorney, Tony Coric.
If KO provided Shonn Miller’s mother with $30,000 wouldn’t that be easily traced? Unless he gave her gold bullion this is an easy one right?
If one leaps to presume any potential payments were made directly by KO, that may not be a good presumption even with the departed's seeminig examples of potential vacuous logic. But, generously presuming any possible direct payments by the departed existed: Lease agreement? Potentially traceable. Car payment? Potentially traceable. Any bank deposits foolishly exceeding $10K? Easily documented by recipient financial institution. Living expenses, clothing budget, etc. Less so ... Garrett's possible tax returns? Hmmm ...

Dove

Part of the 2%
Reaction Score
Miller was a nice player, but 30k nice??,, not even close.
I would be interested in a timeline of when the alleged 30k payment happened and when KO's divorce was announced.

Dream Jobbed 2.0

“Most definitely”
Reaction Score
I get why KO would seek damages, but wtf reasoning does Shonn's mother have to be involved? What damages did she incur as a result of allegedly getting $30k? Good luck, lady. Just being used as a pawn by KO's crack-legal team.
Seriously. Had anyone heard her name in any of this until now?

intlzncster

i fart in your general direction
Reaction Score
or maybe miller invented the story and ko should get his name cleared. i know - crazy.

How does one do this? It's simply a he said/she said though, no?

Reaction Score
Ollie is a stubborn man.
Stubborness is a thing that, when applied to getting a job done, can be very powerful. Ollie, who had marginal NBA talent, stubbornly hung around the NBA for over a decade. His internal drive and stubbornness brought him great success.
Applied oppositely, however, it can be very damaging.

This move seems stubbornly desperate. Like the "just a flesh wound" Monty Python bit.

Slander usually requires proof of false statement and proof of actual harm from the statements. A doctor losing 50% of his business after being called a pedophile, for example. Provable damages. Where are the damages for Ollie? Tough to prove, if even possible.

The tortious interference with contract is a loser - Ollie got fired, rightly or wrongly, based on evidence available outside of Miller's alleged slander.

Ollie has seemed desperate for quite some time.

This move is somewhere between burning the furniture and burning down the house to stay warm during a brutal winter stretch. Figure, ripping trim and siding off the house to burn to stay warm.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
CJasmer

Top Bottom