Ollie Suing Glen Miller for Slander | Page 2 | The Boneyard

Ollie Suing Glen Miller for Slander

Status
Not open for further replies.

pepband99

Resident TV nerd
Reaction Score
I’ve enjoyed everyone cheering on Miller while they ignore this accusation.

Does anyone think this is true - 30k seems to buy better players than Miller.

I've equally enjoyed the "rat squad" lambasting Miller.
The best defense for slander is truth - if Miller's lawyer can prove any of this, the rat squad can shut up forever, and UConn sails against Ollie.

whaler11

Head Happy Hour Coach
Reaction Score
I've equally enjoyed the "rat squad" lambasting Miller.
The best defense for slander is truth - if Miller's lawyer can prove any of this, the rat squad can shut up forever, and UConn sails against Ollie.

If it’s true - Ollie suing him is perhaps the single biggest legal blunder in the world. Being a UConn fan though you might want to root for Ollie in this suit....

you can go back to being pro rat once this small matter is deposed

even if its true he’s still a rat..

Reaction Score
Your second statement is yet another in a never-ending line of frivolous arguments to put out the fire by throwing other people's gasoline on it.

How is it a frivolous argument? If UConn is weakened by this, who do you blame? Ollie? Given everything that's going on in college basketball? Really? This is exactly how NOT to run an athletics program. Let's face it: Ollie was fired because he was a bad coach in his last few years. The school decided to risk not paying him his contract when even disasters like Bob Diaco got his money. Whatever Ollie did otherwise was minor given the stakes at risk here.

Reaction Score
slander is pretty easy to prove when things are put in writing and available for public consumption.

Reaction Score
How is it a frivolous argument? If UConn is weakened by this, who do you blame? Ollie? Given everything that's going on in college basketball? Really? This is exactly how NOT to run an athletics program. Let's face it: Ollie was fired because he was a bad coach in his last few years. The school decided to risk not paying him his contract when even disasters like Bob Diaco got his money. Whatever Ollie did otherwise was minor given the stakes at risk here.
I've written it probably 50 times here, bad coach DOES NOT = W/L. Bad coach & causally - w/l = violations, failure to diligently perform duties of job, failure to properly oversee, etc... Ollie got fired and didn't get paid because he neither did his job nor fulfilled the duties of the contract he signed.

Reaction Score
This must mean he's really striking out with getting anything from UConn. That he now has to dip down to Plan H to try and get some money from this situation...
Miller offered testimony to the NCAA, and this is likely an attempt to discredit a witness alleging wrongdoing by Ollie, by saying Miller was out for revenge and consequently his statements are not credible.

Reaction Score
I've written it probably 50 times here, bad coach DOES NOT = W/L. Bad coach & causally - w/l = violations, failure to diligently perform duties of job, failure to properly oversee, etc... Ollie got fired and didn't get paid because he neither did his job nor fulfilled the duties of the contract he signed.

You can say that about every bad coach that's ever fired. Every one.

TRest

Horrible
Reaction Score
I didn't say it was gossip, I said it wasn't published by Glenn Miller. One of the three elements of libel is published.

Miller getting Ollie's bank records regardless of whether or not they prove the payment will be highly damaging to Ollie and might the most detrimental instance of the ill-conceived litigious overkill coming to roost and biting Ollie both on the grounds and in public opinion.

Your second statement is yet another in a never-ending line of frivolous arguments to put out the fire by throwing other people's gasoline on it.
I don't recall entirely, but didn't this story go public because KO's legal team put out the transcript testimony? I would think the last thing KO would want is having his last few years coaching get put under a microscope.

pepband99

Resident TV nerd
Reaction Score
???

If Miller's lawyer can prove this, UConn should get banned for a season. UConn sails?

Keep in mind that I'm talking about the rat squad.

If it's between Ollie having paid anyone, and him either being the coach right now, or not being the coach right now - who is better off?

pj

Reaction Score
Miller offered testimony to the NCAA, and this is likely an attempt to discredit a witness alleging wrongdoing by Ollie, by saying Miller was out for revenge and consequently his statements are not credible.

It has to be something like that, because Ollie can't think Miller has enough money to make this suit financially worthwhile.

Reaction Score
It has to be something like that, because Ollie can't think Miller has enough money to make this suit financially worthwhile.

He's seeking $15k+?

HuskyHawk

The triumphant return of the Blues Brothers.
Reaction Score
slander is pretty easy to prove when things are put in writing and available for public consumption.

Well Slander is a spoken statement. Libel is written. And either of them are hard to prove and are extremely hard to prove when its a public figure. The Absence of Malice standard would likely apply (hence my movie suggestion for KO). New York Times Co. v. Sullivan, 376 U.S. 254 (1964). Ollie will likely need to prove that Miller "knew that the statement was false or acted in reckless disregard of its truth or falsity". If Miller merely reasonably believes that his information is correct, KO loses.

pj

Reaction Score
He's seeking $15k+?

If he's seeking $15k, why even sue except out of spite? You can't help yourself, you can only inflict legal fees on the other party.

Well Slander is a spoken statement. Libel is written. And either of them are hard to prove and are extremely hard to prove when its a public figure. The Absence of Malice standard would likely apply (hence my movie suggestion for KO). New York Times Co. v. Sullivan, 376 U.S. 254 (1964). Ollie will likely need to prove that Miller "knew that the statement was false or acted in reckless disregard of its truth or falsity". If Miller merely reasonably believes that his information is correct, KO loses.

So Miller only has to show that he reasonably believed his wife was telling the truth. And his wife will support that.

Reaction Score
If he's seeking $15k, why even sue except out of spite? You can't help yourself, you can only inflict legal fees on the other party.

So Miller only has to show that he reasonably believed his wife was telling the truth. And his wife will support that.

Miller's wife is being sued too.

Reaction Score
You can say that about every bad coach that's ever fired. Every one.
Only if every coach is defined as Rick Pitino, John Calipari and other coaches that committed NCAA violations. In terms of other every coaches I think we'd need to review the contract of each, the records and the day-to-day job performance.

The difference YOU and your ilk fail to understand and willfully ignore is that the vast majority of coaches that get fired are at least trying to do their job AND not violating their contracts, so therefore they get paid. Ollie wasn't and therefore didn't.

I don't know but I'd guess Chris Mullin would be a better bad coach comp for you. He wasn't doing his job, admitted as much and resigned with some integrity. I assume he therefore wasn't paid for the remaining contract. I'd guess he probably got some good faith separation payment out of goodwill and b/c he did the right thing by resigning.

Reaction Score
This just keeps getting uglier and uglier. No matter what, this cannot help things like recruiting. Think coaches are not telling players...You wann go to Uconn?.....you know they are under investigation.
additionally who in here now doubts GM was the original anonymous reporter of violations? This has been totally mishandled by everyone from day one.

Reaction Score
Every big time coach/program pays for players. The only shocking thing is how bad they were at it and apparently hiding it once Calhoun gave the reigns to Ollie and company. Clown Car.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
CJasmer

Top Bottom