Ollie Suing Glen Miller for Slander | Page 5 | The Boneyard

Ollie Suing Glen Miller for Slander

Status
Not open for further replies.
Reaction Score
Yep, the only flaw in that plan is that it needs Miller to have the ability to crap golden eggs, which I would be surprised if he has.
In this instance I do not think it about $$$-if he can discredit GM....that helps his other situations.

UConnNick

from Vince Lombardi's home town
Reaction Score
Yep, the only flaw in that plan is that it needs Miller to have the ability to crap golden eggs, which I would be surprised if he has.

Yep. The idea that Miller could come remotely close to paying off a 6 or 7 figure judgment is LOL hilarious. Ollie has been pretty dumb throughout this entire saga, but I think even he must know this fact. It's not about the money. Ollie is just trying to intimidate and silence Miller. I'd be surprised if Miller isn't at least borderline judgment proof.

UConnNick

from Vince Lombardi's home town
Reaction Score
I doubt it. Kids don't really care about how the former coach was discharged.

With what's presently going on with many other programs nationwide, our little circus is about the equivalent of a traffic citation.

CL82

NCAA Men’s Basketball National Champions - Again!
Reaction Score
or maybe miller invented the story and ko should get his name cleared. i know - crazy.
If he did, I hope KO wins and wins big. I doubt it though.

Of course KO is claiming in arbitration that he was discharged for bad performance, (or racism) but in this lawsuit he claims that he was discharged for cause based upon GM's allegedly false statement. I wonder which one he actually believes.

HuskyHawk

The triumphant return of the Blues Brothers.
Reaction Score
We disagree on one key point: I think UConn came up with excuses not to pay him, because they didn't want to pay him.

But otherwise, I only brought up a hypothetical situation. If Miller's charge proves to be true, then UConn will have lost a lot more than the $8 million it is trying to save. Blame it on Ollie, but you can't say the administration wouldn't have avoided that horrid outcome if only it hadn't refused to pay him.

This makes no sense. UConn is already assuming that Miller's charge is true. There's no major damage from that, not $10 million worth for sure. A whole lot of D1 schools are on tape having paid a lot more than that, and more often. Mostly with coaches they have not fired and without self-assessing penalties.

CL82

Reaction Score
But, like we said, his wife is being sued as well. In her case, she wasn't passing on a rumor because she claimed Shonn's mother told her that. Shonn's mother either told her that, or she didn't (both likely impossible to prove).
Which she told to husband. Hard to make that into a slander case.

CL82

Reaction Score
This makes no sense. UConn is already assuming that Miller's charge is true. There's no major damage from that, not $10 million worth for sure. A whole lot of D1 schools are on tape having paid a lot more than that, and more often. Mostly with coaches they have not fired and without self-assessing penalties.
Don't think UConn is assuming Miller's charge is true. It wasn't the basis for the discharge.

CL82

Reaction Score
In this instance I do not think it about $$$-if he can discredit GM....that helps his other situations.
Very problematic if he filed this to change, or dissuade testimony or as retaliation.

Reaction Score

Being banned from competing and losing scholarships will heap a whole pile of dirt on this program, and it will get worse than that. Other than Book Richardson paying people directly, we have mostly coaches getting paid by sneaker companies to either pass on the money or guide players to them. In other words, you don't see how Ollie hading over $30k to Shonn Miller is going to hurt the program badly?

You wrote that this makes no sense.

CL82

Reaction Score
Being banned from competing and losing scholarships will heap a whole pile of dirt on this program, and it will get worse than that. Other than Book Richardson paying people directly, we have mostly coaches getting paid by sneaker companies to either pass on the money or guide players to them. In other words, you don't see how Ollie hading over $30k to Shonn Miller is going to hurt the program badly?

You wrote that this makes no sense.
So are you really saying that the University of Connecticut should pay someone $10M that they otherwise are not entitled to as a part of a cover up of alleged illegal payments to a players mom? Because that is a world class example of the cover up being worse than the crime.

C'mon upstater you're better than that.

ClifSpliffy

surf's up
Reaction Score
Okie is a lazy piece of scum who was handed a job fifty better qualified guys would have killed to get and trashed it. Kevin I’m begging you. Just go away. We don’t care where or how. Just go. To paraphrase Dr Seus, you can go by boat you can go by cow. You can go by car or go by snail or stamp yourself and go by mail. The time has come now go go go.

Calhoun’s ego and Warde’s lack of guts come home to roost.
wait, wut? 'Calhoun's ego?' im thinkin that you liked Calhoun's ego well enough back when he was bringing home all those championships. I don't know much about the rest of your post, but the 'Calhoun's ego' part is just straightup crazytalk.

CTBasketball

Former Owner of the Pizza Thread
Reaction Score
If he did, I hope KO wins and wins big. I doubt it though.

Of course KO is claiming in arbitration that he was discharged for bad performance, (or racism) but in this lawsuit he claims that he was discharged for cause based upon GM's allegedly false statement. I wonder which one he actually believes.
Ollie will have a difficult time finding even an assistant coaching job. Why would you hire an employee who just went sue-crazy on his former employer? You’d have to be an idiot to hire someone like that.

CL82

Reaction Score
Ollie will have a difficult time finding even an assistant coaching job. Why would you hire an employee who just went sue-crazy on his former employer? You’d have to be an idiot to hire someone like that.
Yeah, I think that ship has sailed at this point. Really would love to be a fly on the wall of his attorney's office. It seems like a series of really questionable decisions.

Reaction Score
So are you really saying that the University of Connecticut should pay someone $10M that they otherwise are not entitled to as a part of a cover up of alleged illegal payments to a players mom? Because that is a world class example of the cover up being worse than the crime.

C'mon upstater you're better than that.

Huh? Where did you get that? I wrote if they paid him, you wouldn't have lawsuits that could badly damage the program. I'm sure there's some collateral damage already.

Reaction Score
Shonn Miller is a IVY league graduate with a masters degree from UCONN. He wants a future career in the corporate or sports management world. The rumors of him/ his mom took money from KO could hinder his career. It makes sense to defend his reputation against a bitter liar

Alleged bitter liar

Reaction Score
Very problematic if he filed this to change, or dissuade testimony or as retaliation.
I think if he wins this....It hurts the NCAA investigation and also helps his other court case. GM appears to be a key figure in this. Like most, I really don't know anything, and am guessing.

Reaction Score
Only if every coach is defined as Rick Pitino, John Calipari and other coaches that committed NCAA violations. In terms of other every coaches I think we'd need to review the contract of each, the records and the day-to-day job performance.

The difference YOU and your ilk fail to understand and willfully ignore is that the vast majority of coaches that get fired are at least trying to do their job AND not violating their contracts, so therefore they get paid. Ollie wasn't and therefore didn't.

I don't know but I'd guess Chris Mullin would be a better bad coach comp for you. He wasn't doing his job, admitted as much and resigned with some integrity. I assume he therefore wasn't paid for the remaining contract. I'd guess he probably got some good faith separation payment out of goodwill and b/c he did the right thing by resigning.
You know, the mere fact that I was the only one to like your post is telling about how clueless folks around here are. You fricken nailed it!

CL82

Reaction Score
Huh? Where did you get that? I wrote if they paid him, you wouldn't have lawsuits that could badly damage the program. I'm sure there's some collateral damage already.
It's largely undisputed at this point that KO's contract was appropriately terminated for cause. If so, then he isn't owed the alleged $10M + of additional earnings. You appear to be saying that in order to avoid this pointless suit against Miller, UConn should have paid him the $10M. That is cosmically bad advice. Or did I get that wrong?

Reaction Score
Okie is a lazy piece of scum who was handed a job fifty better qualified guys would have killed to get and trashed it. Kevin I’m begging you. Just go away. We don’t care where or how. Just go. To paraphrase Dr Seus, you can go by boat you can go by cow. You can go by car or go by snail or stamp yourself and go by mail. The time has come now go go go.

Calhoun’s ego and Warde’s lack of guts come home to roost.
Calhoun is a basketball God, how dare you?!

CL82

Reaction Score
I think if he wins this....It hurts the NCAA investigation and also helps his other court case. GM appears to be a key figure in this. Like most, I really don't know anything, and am guessing.
Um, so very, very difficult for KO to win in his suit against GM. It doesn't help "his other court case" (arbitration?) because UConn did not use this allegation as a basis for KO just cause dismissal.

Reaction Score
It's largely undisputed at this point that KO's contract was appropriately terminated for cause. If so, then he isn't owed the alleged $10M + of additional earnings. You appear to be saying that in order to avoid this pointless suit against Miller, UConn should have paid him the $10M. That is cosmically bad advice. Or did I get that wrong?

UConn didn't want to pay him. The cause stuff is concocted because it is penny-ante stuff that has always been part of this program. In trying to save $8m, they run the risk of losing a lot more.

I have written this multiple times in this thread. Nothing Ollie did ever bothered them before, nor would it bother any other good program in the USA. The only thing he did wrong was be a really bad coach/mentor his last 3 or so years.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
CJasmer

Top Bottom