Ollie Officially Fired | Page 9 | The Boneyard

Ollie Officially Fired

WestHartHusk

$3M a Year With March Off
Reaction Score
To treat one of your own like that... sucks. I hope he can eventually forgive the University of Connecticut

I guess money talks at the end of the day...
You understand that he had obligations to UConn too, and, as of right now, he left us a program that is under NCAA investigation, can't sniff the NIT bubble and has a blah recruiting class, right?

Reaction Score
If they can do this in this manner to KO, if I was a prospective coach I would wonder what tactics they would use to fire me. If he is being fired for losing, which we all know to be the case just say it and do it, you negociated the contract and now want to wiggle out. I actually would have more respect for Benedict if they didn't pull this crap. When they fired Perno at least they were honest and honorable doing it.
get over yourself. it's a business. if we had it your way we'd still be in the yankee conference. you have to take risks

Reaction Score
Since it keeps getting brought up, what happens to the football program if basketball goes back to the Big East 2.0? Stay in the AAC as football only? MAC? Independent? Back to FCS? Fold up the tent? Guess they can use that $100 million stadium on Silver Lane for high school games. Whatever - the hoop-only fans have the luxury of not caring.

gtcam

Diehard since '65
Reaction Score
Benedict isn’t stupid. In firing “for cause” he anticipated a lawsuit which will lead to a reduced buyout.

AD David Benedict may prove to be the stupidest person in this whole situation. Not smart to implicate someone for "just cause" and then to find out that the "just cause" was anything but that and did so only to gain leverage in finding the best replacement at the quickest amount of time (DHurley at UConn vs Pitt). Knowing that there will be some type of negotiated buyout while not caring if they throw egg on someone in doing so is wrong. I hope they know what they are doing - I have little faith in the decision making of L McHugh and the BoT.

Reaction Score
Count me in the bittersweet camp. KO was a Husky through and through. He led us on a magic carpet ride, the best kind of championship ride in a prodigal son returns type moment.

On the other hand, you see the mass transfers last year. You see the recruiting. You see the in game coaching where we struggle with the inbounds. You see the head scratching rotations. You see the lack of development of the big men and this absolutely had to happen. Everything was trending on the wrong direction.

Reaction Score
What do you know about the investigation? Probably nothing as I expected, he's clean it has nothing to do with that at all or even close.

Oh goody. Another insider who knows everything but can't say what that 'everything' is. It's a funny thing all these supposed insider matriculating to the Boneyard. Makes me think they know nothing, probably less than nothing. Yet they show up here, dangle a carrot or two and see if anyone is gullible enough to bite.

Reaction Score
Every time that I hear this, I question whether there is an open invitation to the Big East. You have to be asked and our profile is very different Why would the BE want us? We don't fit their model and we would be coming in as a weak cousin. Would love to see it but don't think it will happen.

Reaction Score
The conference is an issue but was not the problem.
I'm so sick of the excuse about the conference. If the conference stinks so bad then win all the friggin' games in the conference. Cincinnati is projected as a 2 seed in the NCAA Tournament with recruits that mostly weren't very highly ranked. Houston is a lock for the NCAA Tournament with talent that isn't great. Would Ollie have won a lot with Houston's players?

I admit being in the AAC has drawbacks compared to when they were in the BE but you can win in this conference and be much better than UConn has been the last 4 years. The program just hasn't been run well. I don't know why people keep making excuses for Ollie when the problem is as clear as a bright sunny day.

Reaction Score
I wanted Ollie gone, but with no payout is pretty cold blooded and if so, then there may be some teeth to the NCAA probe, which isn’t good for anyone.

Reaction Score
Since it keeps getting brought up, what happens to the football program if basketball goes back to the Big East 2.0? Stay in the AAC as football only? MAC? Independent? Back to FCS? Fold up the tent? Guess they can use that $100 million stadium on Silver Lane for high school games. Whatever - the hoop-only fans have the luxury of not caring.

No way the AAC lets a middling at best football program stay in the conference if UConn moves their Olympic sports. Remember, they would lose UConn women too.

Reaction Score
If they can do this in this manner to KO, if I was a prospective coach I would wonder what tactics they would use to fire me. If he is being fired for losing, which we all know to be the case just say it and do it, you negociated the contract and now want to wiggle out. I actually would have more respect for Benedict if they didn't pull this crap. When they fired Perno at least they were honest and honorable doing it.

Might want to find out the details of "just cause" before assuming ollie has been wronged in some way. The AD, and university President for that matter, are really putting themselves on the line with the statement they released.

Reaction Score
Aren't you the same fool that argued that KO would be back next season?

That's a decision for the Athletic Director. Personally, I would be happy with Danny Hurley.
Fool? That's rich. Might want to check out Hurley's NCAA win total before you knock Ed Cooley's.

You nitwit.

Reaction Score
Yeah it is. If you did something wrong it shouldn't matter if winning or losing. Just how everyone here was upset about UNC. Who you are, how the team is doing shouldn't matter. It is wrong to have 2 sets of standards. If Benedict would have used this to fire him when he was winning as well as losing I'd have no problem. To have a sense of right or wrong change to suit your purpose is immoral and unethical. Just my values.
I don’t think it has to be a matter of ethics or morality. It’s business. Make no mistake about it - Kevin Ollie got fired for performance. The for cause language is legalease of sorts. Most of the world doesn’t get a buyout or severance of this magnitude. That’s not Ollie’s fault. But Its clear that Kevin Ollie thinks he’s owed the full amount and that UConn doesn’t. How much UConn can/will pay him is the issue. And that’s where the details matter. If a coach (or anyone else) doesn’t like it, don’t sign a contract that has a “for clause” component. And don’t create any reason for a “for clause” termination. Contracts work both ways.

Reaction Score
You understand that he had obligations to UConn too, and, as of right now, he left us a program that is under NCAA investigation, can't sniff the NIT bubble and has a blah recruiting class, right?

I hear you. I just think the situation sucks all around and there will be some hard feelings from KO. It's hard to see one of your own leave like that. I'm not saying it was necessarily wrong for Uconn to pull the trigger either.

These are situations that you don't wish upon anyone. It's a difficult move for both UConn and KO. Whether it's the wrong or right move only time will tell.

I hope that a few years from now when the dust settles UConn can bring him back and honor him for the Championship and his playing years.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jfreeds

Top Bottom