Ollie Officially Fired | Page 10 | The Boneyard

Ollie Officially Fired

Reaction Score
No way the AAC lets a middling at best football program stay in the conference if UConn moves their Olympic sports. Remember, they would lose UConn women too.

Very true. So what happens to them?

Reaction Score
That you have no credibility in this matter.
Still not sure how that has anything to do with asking who we're getting that is better than Ed Cooley. What did I miss?

Reaction Score
I wanted Ollie gone, but with no payout is pretty cold blooded and if so, then there may be some teeth to the NCAA probe, which isn’t good for anyone.

That mountain dew is at a really good temperature this morning

Reaction Score
Please tell us - what was the atmosphere like in that negotiating room and how much input did you have in the decision?
People who make these know it all statements as if they know something intimate about specific situations leave me speechless
Please tell me how would you handle the situation if you were KO (forgive me KO)
Sounds to me like Bluedogs merely understands a higher stakes world than you. This happens every day in the business world. Your lack of exposure or awareness to it shouldn’t leave you speechless. View this as a learning opportunity.

Reaction Score
Wow if I'm another coach how happy would I be if they are trying to find a way for "just cause" on a guy who player here and won a national championship? Red flag

No, it's not! "Just cause" stipulations are written into contracts for a reason! Ollie was an embarrassment of a head basketball coach on the court, and although a great guy, also was pretty bad off of it as well.

Reaction Score
Ollie used leverage when things where going good and got a great contract.
UConn is using a clause in his contract that gives them an out because he seemingly acted inappropriately possible both in his personal life and professional life.

Ollie was right to use his leverage and UConn is right to enforce the just cause clause if it is justified

pj

Reaction Score
No way the AAC lets a middling at best football program stay in the conference if UConn moves their Olympic sports. Remember, they would lose UConn women too.

What's Navy? A middling at best football program, but with a good market. So is UConn.

If we can keep football and baseball in the AAC, Big East for basketball would be great. Don't think it makes sense if football doesn't stay in the AAC.

Reaction Score
GREAT post - couldn't agree with you more Kathy
I was/am now not caring if KO stays or KO goes but if this was done to avoid some type of payment then it is totally wrong if they cannot pin something specific on KO and make it stick without even a shred of doubt.
If the AD David Benedict is gambling that by doing this early and getting the best possible person with the knowledge that they then can negotiate with KO (while the replacement knows there is little in form of damage control) - that is wrong - not saying that it is not done in business as a tactic - but to do it to a loyal colleague - is just plain wrong - IF that is the case
I have no idea right now but I am close to some folks most likely to know specifics involved and it will be interesting to hear snippets as time goes on.

They wouldn't have fired him for cause if there wasn't a basis. This isn't complicated.

swami7774

I know things.
Reaction Score
no he isn't. we cant just move basketball to the big east. it's an oversimplified solution that only sounds good to stupid people who don't understand how the world of college sports works
Evidently the non-“stupid” people(yourself included, I’d guess) would rather see a steady diet of ECU and Tulane. Greenberg’s general point is spot on.
“Stupid people” would prefer teams in the same general region, or at least the same time zone. That’s how you build interest and rivalries. Maybe interest and rivalries are “stupid” too. I’ll leave it up to the non-“stupid” people like you to determine that.

Reaction Score
Evidently the non-“stupid” people(yourself included, I’d guess) would rather see a steady diet of ECU and Tulane. Greenberg’s general point is spot on.
“Stupid people” would prefer teams in the same general region, or at least the same time zone. That’s how you build interest and rivalries. Maybe interest and rivalries are “stupid” too. I’ll leave it up to the non-“stupid” people like you to determine that.
lol what? I didn't say I wouldn't want to be in the Big East. It's just not currently feasible.

Like I said, you have to be stupid to think you can just move basketball to the Big East with the wave of a wand.

pj

Reaction Score
They should negotiate a buyout. It reflects badly on Ollie and AD Dave that it has gone this far. But, note that AD Dave has leaked to the press that the "just cause" was only Adams and Larrier having an impermissible practice -- a trivial offense. They are giving Ollie a chance to negotiate the buyout with no significant public accusations. More than likely, they have much more severe NCAA violations they can pull out if they need to win a lawsuit. That would poison the well at UConn, damage the next coach, and severely damage Ollie's reputation. Hopefully it won't come to that. With this move Ollie knows (a) he's out no matter what, it's only a matter of how much money and how bad a reputational hit he walks away with, and (b) fighting will cost him the negotiated buyout and more reputational damage. If he has sense, he'll come to the table and let everything be smoothed over with kind words.

Reaction Score
Every time that I hear this, I question whether there is an open invitation to the Big East. You have to be asked and our profile is very different than the teams in the Big East.

It is very different profile. But is playing in a southern football conference a match? Really the ACC was the perfect match, some attorney general blew that

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jfreeds

Top Bottom