Ollie Officially Fired | Page 8 | The Boneyard

Ollie Officially Fired

Reaction Score
Benedict isn’t stupid. In firing “for cause” he anticipated a lawsuit which will lead to a reduced buyout.
I’m happy today. Ollie needed to go. Dont cry for him. He’ll be fine as an NBA asst coach.The success of our BBall (and football) are too critical to whether UConn will become relevant again.
Forget Pikiel and Cooley. Cooley has a great recruiting class coming in. He's not leaving although every high profile program that needs a coach will be floating his name. He's already turned down attractive offers in the last few years.
While Edsall was a bargain, look for Benedict to pay a bigger number than expected to get a bigger name into the MBB job. It’s too important.

Reaction Score
I agree it had to happen. Now what follows is the mass exodus of players and recruits. It will be awhile before we are good again.
We haven’t been good the past four seasons, we can only improve from here. Being ranked #175 is a pretty low benchmark. There was going to be in exodus whether he was fired or not, it’ll be a breakeven at the end of the day on recruits, but a much better product next year and years to come..

Reaction Score
Ed Cooley is a good coach for Providence. I hope he stays in Providence.

gtcam

Diehard since '65
Reaction Score
Yeah it is. If you did something wrong it shouldn't matter if winning or losing. Just how everyone here was upset about UNC. Who you are, how the team is doing shouldn't matter. It is wrong to have 2 sets of standards. If Benedict would have used this to fire him when he was winning as well as losing I'd have no problem. To have a sense of right or wrong change to suit your purpose is immoral and unethical. Just my values.
GREAT post - couldn't agree with you more Kathy
I was/am now not caring if KO stays or KO goes but if this was done to avoid some type of payment then it is totally wrong if they cannot pin something specific on KO and make it stick without even a shred of doubt.
If the AD David Benedict is gambling that by doing this early and getting the best possible person with the knowledge that they then can negotiate with KO (while the replacement knows there is little in form of damage control) - that is wrong - not saying that it is not done in business as a tactic - but to do it to a loyal colleague - is just plain wrong - IF that is the case
I have no idea right now but I am close to some folks most likely to know specifics involved and it will be interesting to hear snippets as time goes on.

Reaction Score
To treat one of your own like that... sucks. I hope he can eventually forgive the University of Connecticut

Yeah, ok. It's tough for Ollie. He was a good player for us and we'll always have #4, but this isn't a charity operation. What is UConn supposed to do? Allow him to continue to coach us into worse and worse seasons? Give me a break. UConn basketball is a big business. You don't allow your business to die in the market when the company's president demonstrates an inability to lead the company out of the dregs. The CEO would fire the guy.

Reaction Score
To treat one of your own like that... sucks. I hope he can eventually forgive the University of Connecticut

I guess money talks at the end of the day...
Forgive the school for paying him over $3 million per year the past two years for doing an awful job? Stop feeling bad for KO. The school has treated him great the past 5 years.

Reaction Score
A few years from now we be saying the same thing for the next coach ... hopefully I’m wrong ... I just wanna see how KO bounces back, I think he’ll land another HC job ...

Reaction Score
Benedict isn’t stupid. In firing “for cause” he anticipated a lawsuit which will lead to a reduced buyout.

If he pulled the trigger without trying to negotiate first, he's stupid. Given the quick turnaround, I doubt that it happened.

Reaction Score
If they can do this in this manner to KO, if I was a prospective coach I would wonder what tactics they would use to fire me. If he is being fired for losing, which we all know to be the case just say it and do it, you negociated the contract and now want to wiggle out. I actually would have more respect for Benedict if they didn't pull this crap. When they fired Perno at least they were honest and honorable doing it.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jfreeds

Top Bottom