Ollie Officially Fired | Page 5 | The Boneyard

Ollie Officially Fired

Reaction Score
Which is fine. It’s the right move. The school needs a new coach and can’t pay the buyout.

I’m in a celebratory mood. Best news for the program in a long time.

Don't be so sure about no buyout. Like I said before this as 'cause' is shaky

Reaction Score
he cares about UConn he just didn't work hard enough and apparently didn't follow the rules
No, if he isn't negotiating then he doesn't care about UConn. If he wakes up and negotiates a deal, I will change how I see him.

Reaction Score
Was just thinking this AM over coffee that they usually do these things on Friday afternoons. Guess Saturday AM is the new Friday PM.

Mr. Wonderful

Whistleblower
Reaction Score
Wow if I'm another coach how happy would I be if they are trying to find a way for "just cause" on a guy who player here and won a national championship? Red flag
Let's wait and see what the reasoning is first. At this point nothing would surprise me.

Reaction Score
Wow if I'm another coach how happy would I be if they are trying to find a way for "just cause" on a guy who player here and won a national championship? Red flag
If you were being considered for the job you would not give a $ hit. Might even be happy about it because there is more cash for you. These guys have HUGE egos and they all assume it won’t happen to them.

swami7774

I know things.
Reaction Score
I have to agree with Mau here. Begin the process of firing with just cause is not a good look.

KO not going to just take this laying down. And is the AD admitting infractions occurred at the school. How will they fight any allegations later if they already fired their coach with just cause.

AD Dave was personally responsible for extending that contract. The proper thing to do would be to negotiate a buyout and agree to go your separate ways. This could get ugly. And you need to control the message.
Unless the “cause” is something we don’t know and will be shocked to learn. Maybe the investigation is deeper than we thought. Who knows? I can’t believe Benedict would make that statement without something to back it up.

Banta55

Hoops since 86"
Reaction Score
Yup. It’s my understanding that the NCAA stuff is minor at most. Whether that is enough for cause is not my area of expertise though it’s been suggested that the cause in question (from Mau I believe) may be separate from any secondary violations. Either way, it’s UConn’s negotiation tactic to reduce the buyout. My belief is that if they had $10m they would have just paid him. It’s unfortunate that this will become public but there’s no other way to negotiate a firing like this (at a state university). And if you know Ollie, he’s not the type to settle or be selfless. Benedict just launched the offensive - which, if he wasn’t willing to live with KO coaching, he had to do.
A lot of stuff behind the scenes, that is borderline for cause

Reaction Score
If anyone criticizes Ollie for “not playing ball” or just rollling over here, then you are insane — which is par for course for many around here. No one, and I mean no one, walks away from $10 million. What’s Ollie going to say, “yes you’re right, I’m just going to swallow the bullet and walk away quietly.”?

UConn firing for cause is the first shot across the bow. Ollie fighting this is return fire. They’ll negotiate and, I’m hopefully they can settle or at least delay payment — either helps! In the meantime, we can now begin to rebuild.

Reaction Score
Unless the “cause” is something we don’t know and will be shocked to learn. Maybe the investigation is deeper than we thought. Who knows? I can’t believe Benedict would make that statement without something to back it up.
Look at the cause they're trying to use with Stallings. Its all about money and winning.

Reaction Score
Before this thread turns into a dumpster fire... remember that KO is an alumnus and an overall great guy. He brought home our 4th title, no one can take that away.
Beyond that, things didn't work out. Let's see him out with some respect. Best wishes, Kevin.

Amen to that. Whether happy or sad we should all show respect and remember his achievements here. Never hurts to be classy in a moment like this.

Reaction Score
If anyone criticizes Ollie for “not playing ball” or just rollling over here, then you are insane — which is par for course for many around here. No one, and I mean no one, walks away from $10 million. What’s Ollie going to say, “yes you’re right, I’m just going to swallow the bullet and walk away quietly.”?

UConn firing for cause is the first shot across the bow. Ollie fighting this is return fire. They’ll negotiate and, I’m hopefully they can settle or at least delay payment — either helps! In the meantime, we can now begin to rebuild.

I'm fine with Ollie fighting for his money. It's understandable. A lawsuit would also give us more color on what really went down which i think we all are dying to know.

Reaction Score
"Cause" as in cause we want to? If it is a negotiation tactic by AD DB then he has the right to try and make that happen. If it truly is the allegation of suspensions/warm-ups is the cause in the world of MBB that would be a sin. Doesn't seem to be embroiled in the pay-off fiasco, I mean do we want a Pitino situation where we are all overjoyed 1 year ('13) and then stripped of everything a few years later ? Idk, would have thought this to not get ugly and pivot to restoring the program and continue to track NCAA, cause, etc...Sad day overall.

Reaction Score
The school and KO both agreed to the contract that was signed. Pay KO the stipulated buyout and move on. No sense having this breakup turn ugly.
That contract stipulated that he would, you know, coach. And it also stipulated that NCAA rules would not be broken. And it stipulated that he act in a manner that doesn't reflect poorly on the university. He is clearly not negotiating. This is ALL on him and the AD is doing what he is being forced to do.

TJT

Reaction Score
UConn has to be careful with this. If the cause relates to something not egregiously wrong, Ollie will fight it hard. Could get ugly. Ollie could further hurt UConn if he ever saw anything wrong while he was not head coach. Would not be surprised by threats of leaking dirty laundry. An ugly public divorce with Ollie could also negatively impact the hiring of a new coach. The UConn administration must tread lightly on this process so it does not blow up in its face.

Reaction Score
Look at the cause they're trying to use with Stallings. Its all about money and winning.
Agree that Pitt's for cause is a joke. Without the information though on UConn's , would be tough to compare at this time

Reaction Score

They have to open the firing for just cause, but still expect a negotiated buyout rather than UConn trying to get out of the whole thing.

Yes, I think this is the way it will go. The violations appear to be minor but UConn will use them as leverage to reach some figure well below $10MM.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
stanfordnyc

Top Bottom