Olander update (good news) | Page 4 | The Boneyard

Olander update (good news)

Status
Not open for further replies.

Dove

Part of the 2%, but 100% wood.
Reaction Score
I would hope that KO teaches him a little baseball: Three strikes and you're out!

Tyler's play in 2012-13....strike looking.
The freakin' rap video...foul tip to the backstop.
Driving in a herky jerky fashion at night and w/o a license...swung on and missed! The-e-e-e-e-e-Huskies win!!! They win!!!!

Dogbreath2U

RIP, DB2U
Reaction Score
I hope at least it was a nice basket. He is a D1 player... maybe he was getting credits for it?

First these jackasses are absolutely sure Olander is an alcoholic and should be thrown off the team... now they're 100% sure he was weaving all over the road. I never knew the UConn police had a ride along program for self-righteous blowhards.

Well, first off, you self-righteously completely missed the sarcasm in upstater's response about the weaving, then you include everyone who does not think it is a trivial matter to drive without a license as being the same as someone who wants to kick him off the team (one poster).

Young inexperienced drivers are being killed by poor judgment and/or substance use at an alarming rate in CT this year. One was killed 4 doors down from where I live. The shrine around her crashsite is still there, weeks later. I see it 4-5 times a day and think of her being dead for no good reason nearly every time I see it.

Tyler driving without a license, without training, and without practice makes him a high risk driver who very well might not handle a difficult situation safely...especially at night. That he was only fined $75 is the problem with this situation. It makes a mockery of the law requiring a license and I think that having a license to drive is important. It is one imperfect way of trying to take steps to reduce the number of people being hurt and killed by irresponsible drivers. CT has been one of the leaders nationally in creating much stricter regulations governing young drivers and I believe that deaths had been down after these laws were put in place. .....signed, Bloviating Blowhard.

IMind

Wildly Inaccurate
Reaction Score
Actually I did get EXACTLY what upstater was saying... which is why I responded the way I did about basket weaving. My point is no one knows what went on that night... but we have a lot of people on here that certainly think they do... even when they've been proven wrong... repeatedly. I get a little sick at people that just can't wait to jump all over kids on here...

I never once said what Tyler did was okay... I'm sorry that happened to your neighbor but it really has nothing to do with what I posted.

Fishy

Elite Premium Poster
Reaction Score
At the end of all this, he drove without a license and paid a $75 fine.

For all the hue and cry.....$75.

He's been suspended from team activities for about a month and is still suspended. If Ollie wants to reinstate him tomorrow, I'd be fine with that. If he doesn't, I'm fine with that.

When this was a DUI....I would have been fine with dismissing him.

But since it ain't, and he wasn't drunk, why the hell was he arrested for it?

Reaction Score
I looked it up and Conn. now requires a learner's permit. But the age restriction of the accompanying driver is the same as it used to be, 20 years old. So, 20 years ago what Tyler did would not have been illegal. You didn't need a learner's permit. But it is illegal now.

Actually the learners permit is a new requirement as of January 1st, 2013. "December 5, 2012""The Department of Motor Vehicles announced today that new adult drivers 18 and older will be required as of January 1 to hold a three-month learner's permit before taking a road test for a driver's license. The new requirement changes 106 years of history in which an adult had no required training period to complete prior to obtaining a driver's license." If this happened last December he would have had nothing to even give him a $75 fine. I will be honest when I first heard about his arrest I was with the many that felt he needed a severe punishment. The more I hear about this the less I think that is the case.

Reaction Score
Actually the learners permit is a new requirement as of January 1st, 2013. "December 5, 2012""The Department of Motor Vehicles announced today that new adult drivers 18 and older will be required as of January 1 to hold athree-month learner's permit before taking a road test for a driver's license. The new requirement changes 106 years of history in which an adult had no required training period to complete prior to obtaining a driver's license." If this happened last December he would have had nothing to even give him a $75 fine. I will be honest when I first heard about his arrest I was with the many that felt he needed a severe punishment. The more I hear about this the less I think that is the case.

Aha, I knew this was the law when I began driving. Thanks

Reaction Score
Actually I did get EXACTLY what upstater was saying... which is why I responded the way I did about basket weaving. My point is no one knows what went on that night... but we have a lot of people on here that certain think they do... even when they've been proven wrong... repeatedly.

I never once said what Tyler did was okay... nor did I trivialized it. I'm sorry that happened to your neighbor but it really has nothing to do with what I posted.

My assumption about his driving skills is based on what was reported:

Olander was pulled over driving a friend's car just after 11 p.m. on Sept. 7 after a motorist reported he was making "several jerky steering maneuvers" near the UConn campus in Storrs, said prosecutor Cynthia Baer.

If you're driving poorly enough for someone to call the cops on you, you're doing it wrong. Which isn't surprising if you don't know how.

I will give the caveat is that if his friend was going to drive drunk and there were no other good options available, then I don't have a problem with him taking the keys - it may have been the least bad of a bunch of bad options. There would be some lessons about not putting himself in those situations, but that's tangential.

Now even if it was exactly what it seems like - college kids on a Saturday night joyride without thinking (or caring about laws and things) - I don't think TO should be thrown off the team by any means. In fact, I don't even have a recommendation without knowing more details. I guess my range would probably go from nothing if he took the keys away from a drunk friend to, say, suspended through the MSG trip if he was joyriding with a .07 (it would sting a little to lose his last chance to play there). But we probably will never know all the details, so I won't balk at anything KO decides to do.

Reaction Score
Was he driving without his license on him or driving while not licensed at all? Driving without a license on you, driving unlicensed, driving with an expired license and driving with a non reinstated license after suspension are all $75 fines according to the CT site I googled.

Reaction Score
Was he driving without his license on him or driving while not licensed at all? Driving without a license on you, driving unlicensed, driving with an expired license and driving with a non reinstated license after suspension are all $75 fines according to the CT site I googled.

I found this stuff out the hard way when I was pulled over for "training" of a rookie cop, and didn't have my license to show. When I showed up at court, driving without my license was suddenly turned into driving unlicensed. I fought it and didn't pay a fine, but still, it was the same infraction.

Reaction Score

He's never had a license.

Reaction Score
Aha, I knew this was the law when I began driving. Thanks

That law is not relevant to TO's situation, though. All the law says is that you now need a three-month learner's permit before you can take a road test for your license, whereas before you could go straight to the road test.

It's still just as illegal to drive without a license as it was last year.

Dogbreath2U

RIP, DB2U
Reaction Score
Actually I did get EXACTLY what upstater was saying... which is why I responded the way I did about basket weaving. My point is no one knows what went on that night... but we have a lot of people on here that certainly think they do... even when they've been proven wrong... repeatedly. I get a little sick at people that just can't wait to jump all over kids on here...

I never once said what Tyler did was okay... I'm sorry that happened to your neighbor but it really has nothing to do with what I posted.

I certainly agree with the sentiment about the people who want to hammer the players. You seemed to lump everyone together and the issue was about his driving when never having been licensed. That did occur...it is not a question. That is a real safety issue and he is a dumbsh*t in my book for having done that. I'm glad he was not legally drunk, but that was not the issue being discussed...it was about his driving without being licensed to drive. To me, that is a big deal and it is not bashing to point that out.

Reaction Score
That law is not relevant to TO's situation, though. All the law says is that you now need a three-month learner's permit before you can take a road test for your license, whereas before you could go straight to the road test.

It's still just as illegal to drive without a license as it was last year.

I'd like to see that shown, because as I wrote earlier, I know that the law used to be you could go on the road to train without a permit as long as you drove with a 20 year old or else someone who had a license for 4 years. Back then (1980s), you hit the road when you were 15, and you could take the test after your 16th birthday.

joober jones

Finally Non-Fat Guy
Reaction Score
Gonna channel my inner NelsonMuntz here : Driving without a license means he should be kicked off the team? Ok, got it.

Also, just to clarify : by crucify, I didn't mean that posters were literally nailing him to wooden planks in the shape of a cross. I mean, that would be REALLY dramatic. We are better than that.

Sorry, I really must be better about spelling things out slowly for you : go check the thread when this was first reported. The posters pontificating that TO should be kicked off for getting his second alcohol related arrest, saying that this situation was worse than if he hit a woman. Tell me who was being a little overly dramatic there. Oh wait we didn't have ANY of the facts of this and still vilified him? He wasn't actually drunk, he just didn't have a license?

Yeah, I'd say that at least deserves an "our bad".

Get some facts and come back and see me.

We haven't literally crucified anyone since Selvie. Then on the third day he rose again and clanged a shot from 2 feet away.

Reaction Score
I'd like to see that shown, because as I wrote earlier, I know that the law used to be you could go on the road to train without a permit as long as you drove with a 20 year old or else someone who had a license for 4 years. Back then (1980s), you hit the road when you were 15, and you could take the test after your 16th birthday.

You are right and it is applicable because the requirement for a learners permit for an adult to practice driving in CT is new this year. It is not as was stated above just setting a time limit requirement for a permit as the difference. " Beginning Jan. 1, 2013, the state of Connecticut will require an adult learner’s permit for new drivers who are 18 years old and over other than those holding a valid driver’s license from another state."

Reaction Score
A couple years ago (I'm pretty sure I was 23) I was driving home from playing poker at a buddy's house at around 2 am. We had BBQ'd way earlier in the afternoon and I had few beers but I hadn't drank in several hours and was sober as a duck. I spotted a cop in a gas station and instinctively slowed down. He comes flying out and pulls me over. He asks if I had been drinking and I was honest and said I couple during the day. Then he asks if I knew why he stopped and he said because "I slowed down when I saw him." He could tell I was completely sober and ending up writing me a warning for having one of my license plate lights out. And a DWY

Reaction Score

I can't remember a time when you could get on the road without first getting a permit. I believe you that it may have been that way once, but nowadays if you don't have a permit, you are restricted to your own driveway or perhaps a private parking lot - otherwise the adult in the passenger seat gets in trouble too.

Couldn't tell you when the permit laws phased in, but if the law was the way you remember it, then anyone in college who had a junior or a senior for a friend could drive anywhere they wanted without any documentation whatsoever. All it would take is one accident with an unlicensed driver coming home from a party before people would realize that law needed fixing.

Reaction Score
I can't remember a time when you could get on the road without first getting a permit. I believe you that it may have been that way once, but nowadays if you don't have a permit, you are restricted to your own driveway or perhaps a private parking lot - otherwise the adult in the passenger seat gets in trouble too.

Couldn't tell you when the permit laws phased in, but if the law was the way you remember it, then anyone in college who had a junior or a senior for a friend could drive anywhere they wanted without any documentation whatsoever. All it would take is one accident with an unlicensed driver coming home from a party before people would realize that law needed fixing.

You have to remember, kids back then WANTED a driver's license, so there was little abuse. You basically got your license after going out with parents, or brothers, or maybe a friend. All my friends, at least 20 of them, got their license when they were 16. It was a rite of passage. And we all got our own cars too. Saved the money to buy beaters. A friend bought a mustang, my first car was a 70s Datsun B210 with 120k miles on it that I bought for less than $1k (which was about 3 weeks work for me painting houses). There would be no point to abusing that law.

Reaction Score
You are right and it is applicable because the requirement for a learners permit for an adult to practice driving in CT is new this year. It is not as was stated above just setting a time limit requirement for a permit as the difference. " Beginning Jan. 1, 2013, the state of Connecticut will require an adult learner’s permit for new drivers who are 18 years old and over other than those holding a valid driver’s license from another state."

There is nowhere in this country that you can drive on public roads without either a permit or a license, regardless of age. Been that way a fairly long time. (On edit: turns out New Hampshire allows it - see below).

The new law didn't change the requirement about obtaining a learner's permit to practice. You needed it before and you still do. What's different this year is that you can't just apply to take your road test whenever you want as an adult any more. You need the permit for 90 days first.

Reaction Score
There is nowhere in this country that you can drive on public roads without either a permit or a license, regardless of age. Been that way a fairly long time.

The new law didn't change the requirement about obtaining a learner's permit to practice. You needed it before and you still do. What's different this year is that you can't just apply to take your road test whenever you want as an adult any more. You need the permit for 90 days first.

Apparently, New Hampshire still does it the way Connecticut used to: http://www.dmv.org/nh-new-hampshire/drivers-permits.php

Reaction Score
I find it funny that the breathalyzer said he wasn't drunk but a high level Division 1 National Champion athlete couldn't pass the field sobriety (coordination) test.

Dude, walk a straight line much? C'mon Tyler.
Ummmm, how about maybe the cop is just making up about Tyler? Ever think of that? Tyler did just fine on the field sobriety test. He got arrested by a professional trained uniformed liars who derive their power from ignormuses (not sure what the plural is of that) who mindlessly believe everything they say. Don't assume he didn't pass the field sobriety test just fine.

Reaction Score
I got my license in 1985, 6 weeks after I turned 16. Never had a "learner's permit" or anything else. Practiced with my dad and took the test. Ended up taking drivers Ed at school, after I had my license, because you got an insurance break if you completed drivers Ed. Maybe that is ancient history, as some are claiming. Then again it is almost 30 years, but that was definitely the case in CT at one point. And I am far from the oldest poster on this board.

Reaction Score
You have to remember, kids back then WANTED a driver's license, so there was little abuse. You basically got your license after going out with parents, or brothers, or maybe a friend. All my friends, at least 20 of them, got their license when they were 16. It was a rite of passage. And we all got our own cars too. Saved the money to buy beaters. A friend bought a mustang, my first car was a 70s Datsun B210 with 120k miles on it that I bought for less than $1k (which was about 3 weeks work for me painting houses). There would be no point to abusing that law.

I remember it the same way. We all couldn't wait until we were 16 so we could have some freedom and not wait for our parents to drive us somewhere. I hit that age in the late 80s, and had to go through the permit application and driver's Ed, then the road test. Due to being away at boarding school and not having time to do all that in short order, I actually didn't get my license until I was almost 17. Ticked me off getting a slow start.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
so1

Top Bottom