Olander update (good news) | Page 3 | The Boneyard

Olander update (good news)

Status
Not open for further replies.
Reaction Score
Not to be anal about it, but if he has no driver's license (as opposed to not having it on him when he was pulled over) he still has some explaining to do to KO.

Reaction Score
I dunno that this is such the minor little detail we all seem to want to make it out to be.

He's never had a license and he was driving a car late at night. If he failed to get a license renewed or something, then we're talking paperwork issues. But he's never had one. He can't legally drive.

If a regular schmo was busted driving around late at night without ever having a license, I would consider him reckless and irresponsible. It's putting lives at risk, same as a DWI.

I'd give him some moral leeway if he thought he was doing a good deed by taking the keys away from a drunk friend (which may indeed be the case) - but even then I'd at least like to hear if he tried to find someone to drive who actually knew how and only grabbed the keys as a last resort.

UConn Dan

Not HuskyFanDan; I lurk & I like
Reaction Score
I dunno that this is such the minor little detail we all seem to want to make it out to be.

He's never had a license and he was driving a car late at night. If he failed to get a license renewed or something, then we're talking paperwork issues. But he's never had one. He can't legally drive.

If a regular schmo was busted driving around late at night without ever having a license, I would consider him reckless and irresponsible. It's putting lives at risk, same as a DWI.

I'd give him some moral leeway if he thought he was doing a good deed by taking the keys away from a drunk friend (which may indeed be the case) - but even then I'd at least like to hear if he tried to find someone to drive who actually knew how and only grabbed the keys as a last resort.
Seriously? Driving from one side of storrs to the other is not rocket science. He was driving his friends car with his friend in it -- who knows why (learning to drive, being a designated "driver", etc) and should we really care. It was dumb, but let it go.

Any 15 or 16 year old twit can drive a car. This isn't a big deal.

Reaction Score

Good lord, it's not a big deal at all that's why he's getting a $75 fine. Why is driving at night so reckless? You're really saying this is the same as a DWI and that Olander is putting lives at risk? Get over yourself, this is such a ridiculous post.

Reaction Score
Good lord, it's not a big deal at all that's why he's getting a $75 fine. Why is driving at night so reckless? You're really saying this is the same as a DWI and that Olander is putting lives at risk? Get over yourself, this is such a ridiculous post.

Yeah, I mean, I can't believe they even fined him. I think the whole drivers license thing is more of a recommendation, anyway. You don't really have to have one. And I know all kinds of 20-something kids who never bother to get one. I would hope the police officer who ruined Tyler's night apologized. It wouldn't bother me if he lost his job.

Reaction Score
Yeah, I mean, I can't believe they even fined him. I think the whole drivers license thing is more of a recommendation, anyway. You don't really have to have one. And I know all kinds of 20-something kids who never bother to get one. I would hope the police officer who ruined Tyler's night apologized. It wouldn't bother me if he lost his job.
Wow that really added a lot. Do you have any kind of point other then being a huge jackhole?

Reaction Score
Seriously? Driving from one side of storrs to the other is not rocket science. He was driving his friends car with his friend in it -- who knows why (learning to drive, being a designated "driver", etc) and should we really care. It was dumb, but let it go.

Any 15 or 16 year old twit can drive a car. This isn't a big deal.

It is a blatant violation of the law and potential dangerous as evidenced in this case by his weaving. It is a big deal.

Reaction Score

I hope this is a lame attempt at humor. If not, how did you get medicinal marijuana already?

Rico444

In the mix for six
Reaction Score
I hope this is a lame attempt at humor. If not, how did you get medicinal marijuana already?

Here you go; I think you need one of these.

sarcasm_detector.jpg

Reaction Score

You aren't allowed to drive without a license. I believe that's common knowledge in this country. You have to pass a test to prove you can do it for a reason. If you don't pass the test, you aren't allowed to drive. I don't care what the fine is - driving without one is clearly reckless. Frankly, I think that fine should be a lot higher, but that's immaterial.

Driving at night without a license is more reckless because it is more difficult for a beginner. It's dark outside - so you can see less. In many states, you aren't allowed to drive with a learner's permit except during daylight hours. Connecticut I think it's ok.

I don't want people driving out on the roads without licenses. Sorry if you think that's ridiculous. I think it's ridiculous that you don't think it matters. I mean, he was pulled over for "jerky steering maneuvers". If he passed the sobriety test, the most obvious explanation for his poor driving is that he doesn't know how to drive. One of those jerky maneuvers could have easily taken out some college pedestrians on a Saturday night if he lost control of the car. So, yes, I consider this similar to a DWI - just instead of alcohol, his impairment is that he doesn't know what the hell he's doing.

Dove

Part of the 2%, but 100% wood.
Reaction Score
I've never done one, but how would you know if you passed one anyway?

I did a test once. When "I'm Dove from the Boneyard" didn't do I really impressed with a recitation of the alphabet backwards. I was pulled over simply because my passenger passed me a beer to finish...and I stoopidly did while in the cop's headlight beams. :oops:

Reaction Score
Let's cut to the chase here. The bottom line is Olander has maturity and judgement problems as evidenced by his recent escapades. It is time that he grows up. I don't think Ollie will give him his captainship back. Whether he misses any games remains to be seen. I'm really disappointed in him over this incident, especially coming after the Florida escapade. I would hope that KO teaches him a little baseball: Three strikes and you're out!

phillionaire

esta noche somos mantequilla
Reaction Score
The team would be better off if the Tyler ship sailed away.

We would be better off if we lost a post player and didn't have anyone to take his scholarship? Good logic.

UConn Dan

Not HuskyFanDan; I lurk & I like
Reaction Score
It is a blatant violation of the law and potential dangerous as evidenced in this case by his weaving. It is a big deal.
Violation of the law - yes. But if it was such a big effiing deal then why does it only carry a $75 fine. I'm sure you've made mistakes in your life and maybe even violated some laws too. Stop making this out like it's bigger than it is.

Reaction Score

He was definitely weaving I guess.

Reaction Score
I looked it up and Conn. now requires a learner's permit. But the age restriction of the accompanying driver is the same as it used to be, 20 years old. So, 20 years ago what Tyler did would not have been illegal. You didn't need a learner's permit. But it is illegal now.

UCweCONN

Former Poster
Reaction Score
One man's trash is another man's treasure I guess.

IMind

Wildly Inaccurate
Reaction Score
He was definitely weaving I guess.
I hope at least it was a nice basket. He is a D1 player... maybe he was getting credits for it?

First these jackasses are absolutely sure Olander is an alcoholic and should be thrown off the team... now they're 100% sure he was weaving all over the road. I never knew the UConn police had a ride along program for self-righteous blowhards.

Reaction Score
Violation of the law - yes. But if it was such a big effiing deal then why does it only carry a $75 fine. I'm sure you've made mistakes in your life and maybe even violated some laws too. Stop making this out like it's bigger than it is.
I am pretty sure he (or his parents) is out a lot more than $75.00. I'm pretty sure the lawyer got him for all he could.

Reaction Score
I looked it up and Conn. now requires a learner's permit. But the age restriction of the accompanying driver is the same as it used to be, 20 years old. So, 20 years ago what Tyler did would not have been illegal. You didn't need a learner's permit. But it is illegal now.
His problem was that he is a US citizen. If he was an illegal alien, our governor would have picked him up himself and driven him to the DMV to get his license and reprimanded the state cop for harassing him.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
so1

Top Bottom