Olander update (good news) | Page 5 | The Boneyard

Olander update (good news)

Status
Not open for further replies.
Reaction Score
Apparently, New Hampshire still does it the way Connecticut used to: http://www.dmv.org/nh-new-hampshire/drivers-permits.php

Huh. I'll be dipped. I stand corrected. Thought those laws were long gone. Even Googled a bit to be sure and saw some questions about laws in places like Arizona and Montana - they require permits. So does Texas (just checked that one based on the previous post).

I'd be stunned if it was legal last year for someone to drive in Connecticut to drive without either a permit or a license, but I'm moderately stunned that New Hampshire doesn't have permits, so perhaps I'm wrong (wouldn't be the first time). I don't know anyone in Connecticut who tried to get a license after 18, so I don't speak from experience.

Reaction Score
Nope. That's not true either.

Just as an FYI for those who are caught speeding anywhere in NY state other than Buffalo and New York City, you can hire a lawyer for $100 who will plead out your case to a parking infraction, and you don't even have to show up. Unfortunately, if you're caught speeding in the two largest cities, you have to go to something called the TVB. A private kangaroo court. You will be assimilated.

Reaction Score
Huh. I'll be dipped. I stand corrected. Thought those laws were long gone. Even Googled a bit to be sure and saw some questions about laws in places like Arizona and Montana - they require permits. So does Texas (just checked that one based on the previous post).

I'd be stunned if it was legal last year for someone to drive in Connecticut to drive without either a permit or a license, but I'm moderately stunned that New Hampshire doesn't have permits, so perhaps I'm wrong (wouldn't be the first time). I don't know anyone in Connecticut who tried to get a license after 18, so I don't speak from experience.

The funny thing is I tried to pick the most retrograde state I could think of, and the first that popped to my mind was New Hampshire, so I clicked, and there it was. I suppose Wyoming was next. I stayed away from the southern states because of the ID laws. Figured they would want documentation locked down. Maybe Alaska doesn't care.

Reaction Score
Way back when, I was sharing an apartment in celeron with a guy who had a habit of driving after a few too many. One night he was very drunk and insisted on driving the short distance between Ted's and celeron (IIRC the issue was that he had lots of parking tickets and didn't want to get towed) so I drove in front of him to pace him and make sure he got back ok. Sure enough, a cop started following so I (without a drop of alcohol in my system) started driving erratically to take the cop's attention away from my friend. When my friend pulled into celeron the cop kept following me. I started driving normally again and he eventually lost interest. That's just my take on what happened of course. The cop may well have had another priority the entire time. Anyway, that's my hero enabler drunk driving weaving jerky movements police story. Of course I should have just taken the guy's keys away.

Reaction Score
Seeing as how 25% of the cars around here in LA aren't registered (really, not an exaggeration - they don't even have plates), and that most residents drive with a technically illegal out-of-state license, what he plead to was nothing more than stupid and dumb. If he puts in the 6 AM suicides and stadiums, he gets back on the team.

CL82

NCAA Men’s Basketball National Champions - Again!
Reaction Score
We need hire a boneyard surgeon, one who specializes in removing polls form people's butts.

Quote of the day was the poster explaining how when it is dark outside, you see less. Fascinating observation.

I don't see why some posters go all vigilante on any reputed transgression before the facts come out. When Tyler was thought to be drunk driving that was why everyone's panties were in a bunch. Now that we know that was BS we are told that driving without a license makes this kid a war criminal. Sure the State only thought it was worth a $75 dollar fine but it seems like some posters know better. I'm waiting for a posse to form.

th

By god we'll get that unlicensed little bastard and show him some Boneyard justice!

ctchamps

We are UConn!! 4>1 But 5>>>>1 is even better!
Reaction Score
We need hire a boneyard surgeon, one who specializes in removing polls form people's butts.

Quote of the day was the poster explaining how when it is dark outside, you see less. Fascinating observation.

I don't see why some posters go all vigilante on any reputed transgression before the facts come out. When Tyler was thought to be drunk driving that was why everyone's panties were in a bunch. Now that we know that was BS we are told that driving without a license makes this kid a war criminal. Sure the State only thought it was worth a $75 dollar fine but it seems like some posters know better. I'm waiting for a posse to form.

th

By god we'll get that unlicensed little bastard and show him some Boneyard justice!
Throw in some silver and polish it because it better shine. Image is more important than justice.
I must see a different set of drivers then most people.
Lots of people I encounter do crazier things than TO. I bet most of them have licenses. This doesn't excuse TO. I say throw TO off the team. But only if we agree to lock up most of the worlds drivers and throw away the key.

Reaction Score
Many kids today are in no hurry to get their license because they've gotten used to be driven everywhere by their parents.

The biggest change has been the law that prevents kids from driving other kids until they have had their license for a year or turn 18. Now everyone has to drive their own cars alone instead of piling 3 or 4 into one car.

Reaction Score
Good for Olander. I hope he works hard, gets back in Coach Ollie's good graces, and has a productive senior season.

And yes, I was one of the many who was too tough on him.

Reaction Score
Bottom line is he was driving without a license. Let's not fog the matter up with various discussions of the laws regarding learners' permits. He had no learner's permit, he didn't forget the license/permit at home, he didn't forget to renew it, etc., etc. A very poor decision by someone who seems to be making poor decisions a habit. Do I think he should be allowed to play this year? Yes. Do I think he should be punished? Yes. This kid has some issues and needs to learn to show some maturity--quickly! This is where KO will really earn his money, turning boys into men. For the most part, Coach Calhoun did a great job of that. I'm confident KO will as well. I'm also hoping TO has learned something from his mistakes. Thank God he didn't kill anybody while driving that car.

Reaction Score
I realize ignorance of the law is no excuse but this whole lack of a permit is only very recent. Up until April 1st of this year a learners permit was not required for an adult to have a learners permit. Here is a quote from an article in the Hamden Patch about the "new" as of January 1st 2013 adult learner permit. "Until April 1, any adult receiving on-the-road training with a licensed driving instructor does not need an adult learner's permit."
So he might not have even been aware of the law change. Now you can say that he wasn't receiving instruction, and that can be argued. But a law that was in effect in CT for 106 years was changed within the past 5 months and Olander got caught in it. At best even with this change it was a minor offense. The fact is if on March 30th he was stopped there would be a good chance he wouldn't even be considered in violation of any law. As it is the fine was $75 which is less then many littering fines or parking in a handicapped space. Since until April of this year Olander didn't need a driver's permit to practice driving you have no knowledge of how much practice he has had. The Thank God he didn't kill anybody while driving comment really has nothing to do with it as every person that has a license now at one point was inexperienced and was on the road practicing driving, many of whom, if they were over 18, without any form of learners permit until this year.
I also wonder if Olander had let his friend that was drunk drive, and the friend did hit someone and kill them, would the headlines read "Olander abandons drunk friend to drive." Would the same people be questioning him for being with a friend that drank and not doing something to stop him?

Reaction Score
I realize ignorance of the law is no excuse but this whole lack of a permit is only very recent. Up until April 1st of this year a learners permit was not required for an adult to have a learners permit. Here is a quote from an article in the Hamden Patch about the "new" as of January 1st 2013 adult learner permit. "Until April 1, any adult receiving on-the-road training with a licensed driving instructor does not need an adult learner's permit."
So he might not have even been aware of the law change. Now you can say that he wasn't receiving instruction, and that can be argued. But a law that was in effect in CT for 106 years was changed within the past 5 months and Olander got caught in it. At best even with this change it was a minor offense. The fact is if on March 30th he was stopped there would be a good chance he wouldn't even be considered in violation of any law. As it is the fine was $75 which is less then many littering fines or parking in a handicapped space. Since until April of this year Olander didn't need a driver's permit to practice driving you have no knowledge of how much practice he has had. The Thank God he didn't kill anybody while driving comment really has nothing to do with it as every person that has a license now at one point was inexperienced and was on the road practicing driving, many of whom, if they were over 18, without any form of learners permit until this year.
I also wonder if Olander had let his friend that was drunk drive, and the friend did hit someone and kill them, would the headlines read "Olander abandons drunk friend to drive." Would the same people be questioning him for being with a friend that drank and not doing something to stop him?

How do you know the person in the car with him was over 21? Most college students are not. If not, he was violating the law regardless of whether he had a permit or not. Let's be real about this. He made a big error in judgement, again, and has to face up to it.

Reaction Score
How do you know the person in the car with him was over 21? Most college students are not. If not, he was violating the law regardless of whether he had a permit or not. Let's be real about this. He made a big error in judgement, again, and has to face up to it.

He made an error in judgment. It's looking less and less like it was a big error and it certainly wasn't the egregious error it originally appeared. I think Fishy had it right - if KO deems the suspension should be over today, great. If he deems that it should continue for awhile, that's fine too.

The error is primarily based on his failure to stay out of any trouble whatsoever given what happened last April, not the underlying offense. The whole 'he could have killed someone, won't somebody think of the children!' line of argument is ridiculous.

Reaction Score
He made an error in judgment. It's looking less and less like it was a big error and it certainly wasn't the egregious error it originally appeared. I think Fishy had it right - if KO deems the suspension should be over today, great. If he deems that it should continue for awhile, that's fine too.

The error is primarily based on his failure to stay out of any trouble whatsoever given what happened last April, not the underlying offense. The whole 'he could have killed someone, won't somebody think of the children!' line of argument is ridiculous.

Fine so let's let everyone go out and drive a car without a license. Who cares? It's just a piece of plastic, right? No one is saying the $75 fine isn't sufficient, though it does seem pretty lenient. However, this guy needs to get his act under control. Especially with some of the bad press (whether warranted or not) the Mens' Bball program has received in recent years. We don't need any more bad press. For better or for worse these guys are under the microscope and need to be made aware of that fact and held accountable. One thing I know, if I had been arrested for driving without a license my old man would have beaten the livin' crap out of me!

CTMike

¯\_(ツ)_/¯
Reaction Score
Fine so let's let everyone go out and drive a car without a license. Who cares? It's just a piece of plastic, right? No one is saying the $75 fine isn't sufficient, though it does seem pretty lenient. However, this guy needs to get his act under control. Especially with some of the bad press (whether warranted or not) the Mens' Bball program has received in recent years. We don't need any more bad press. For better or for worse these guys are under the microscope and need to be made aware of that fact and held accountable. One thing I know, if I had been arrested for driving without a license my old man would have beaten the livin' crap out of me!
Tell me, do you ever drive 56 in a 55? Have you ever not come to a FULL stop at a stop sign? Do you realize how many people are killed by speeding? How anyone can trust you to hold a job is beyond me. You are just as irresponsible as TO! Real slippery slope once you start going 56 in a 55, too. Next thing you'll be changing lanes without signaling leading to mass chaos and death.

CTMike

¯\_(ツ)_/¯
Reaction Score
I know I'm being snarky, but I actually do agree he should have sense enough not to drive without a license. Not the smartest thing, but it's not the worst thing in the world either. He paid his fine, you hope his lesson is learned, and you move on.

UConn Dan

Not HuskyFanDan; I lurk & I like
Reaction Score
Maybe a status update?
Andy Katz (@ESPNAndyKatz)
9/24/13, 2:53 PM
Podcast link coming, with interesting takes from Turgeon on Wells, Ryan on Gasser, Rice on MWC and Ollie on Olander, Omar Calhoun.

Reaction Score
Tell me, do you ever drive 56 in a 55? Have you ever not come to a FULL stop at a stop sign? Do you realize how many people are killed by speeding? How anyone can trust you to hold a job is beyond me. You are just as irresponsible as TO! Real slippery slope once you start going 56 in a 55, too. Next thing you'll be changing lanes without signaling leading to mass chaos and death.
Does your doctor have a license? Your comments above are absurd. This is a flat out black and white issue of someone who chose to drove a car with full knowledge that he was not licensed. To not understand the blatant violation of the law here is ridiculous. I like Tyler, he seems to give his all on the court and I wish him all the success in the world. However, he will never be successful in life unless he learns to be accountable for his actions.

Reaction Score
Does your doctor have a license? Your comments above are absurd. This is a flat out black and white issue of someone who chose to drove a car with full knowledge that he was not licensed. To not understand the blatant violation of the law here is ridiculous. I like Tyler, he seems to give his all on the court and I wish him all the success in the world. However, he will never be successful in life unless he learns to be accountable for his actions.

He did violate the law. But, the reason many of us were discussing what the laws were previously is that many of us drove cars without a license when we were 15 years old. I'm imagining that most people aged 22/23 as Tyler is should be able to handle driving a car.

Reaction Score
He did violate the law. But, the reason many of us were discussing what the laws were previously is that many of us drove cars without a license when we were 15 years old. I'm imagining that most people aged 22/23 as Tyler is should be able to handle driving a car.

The law says you can't operate a car without a license or without a permit and someone over age 21 who is teaching you. What he can or can't handle is a moot point.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
so1

Top Bottom