Olander update (good news) | Page 6 | The Boneyard

Olander update (good news)

Status
Not open for further replies.

CTMike

¯\_(ツ)_/¯
Reaction Score
Does your doctor have a license? Your comments above are absurd. This is a flat out black and white issue of someone who chose to drove a car with full knowledge that he was not licensed. To not understand the blatant violation of the law here is ridiculous. I like Tyler, he seems to give his all on the court and I wish him all the success in the world. However, he will never be successful in life unless he learns to be accountable for his actions.
Hey... Agree to disagree then. Go Huskies.

Reaction Score
The law says you can't operate a car without a license or without a permit and someone over age 21 who is teaching you. What he can or can't handle is a moot point.

It's over the age of 20. Olander is 21. I hope he's hanging out with kids his age.

jleves

Awesomeness
Reaction Score
What bothers me is that I'm 100% sure there are 'fans' on here who are disappointed he didn't get a DUI.

^This is so true. Amazing some people call themselves fans when they hope for the worst in situations they don't have all the facts. I just don't get it when adults wish bad things on teenagers just through the relationship to college basketball (the people hoping Alex fails fall into this group as well - why would you wish a young man fail just because they didn't do something to help the team you root for?)

I was recently told that police can pull 95% of the people on the road over for violating one simple law: you are not allowed to have the dealership frame around your license plate. It's against the law.
Looked this up on Snopes.com and it appears that it's a semi myth. Texas passed a law that said you couldn't have frames and later changed it so that frames or anything else can't obscure reading the plate. No other states are mentioned so I don't think this applies anywhere anymore.

I find it funny that the breathalyzer said he wasn't drunk but a high level Division 1 National Champion athlete couldn't pass the field sobriety (coordination) test.

Dude, walk a straight line much? C'mon Tyler.
If Tyler is anything like me, he may just get really nervous around cops. When I'm driving and not doing anything wrong and a cop pulls up behind me, or is traveling in the lane next to me, I start getting stupidly nervous and find it hard to concentrate and drive well (it's weird I know.) I think the only way I could pass a field sobriety test is if I had just enough knocked back to make me not care and not so much to affect balance. It would have to be the perfect amount not to mess up as I would totally sober or fall down totally drunk.

The team would be better off if the Tyler ship sailed away.
We would be better off if we lost a post player and didn't have anyone to take his scholarship? Good logic.
^ This again. What good would it be to not have TO on the team this year when we are weak in the front court? He's a senior so it's not like he's chewing up a scholy for someone else next year or scaring any recruit off. This is not a case of addition by subtraction. Anything TO adds, either in games or practice is a plus and something you can't replace with nobody for the scholarship position.

There were a few other things I almost quoted in this thread but I got bored.

Bottom line, he wasn't drunk, he was stupid. Doing the smart thing just isn't part of repertoire - we've all had friends like that who weren't bad people. And we've all had friends (or been the one) that got caught every time they did something stupid. We've had friends who seem to just get out of the situation before it gets bad. I have a brother who was in the navy and would walk out of a bad situation (that he was participating in) just before the rest got busted. Some people are just like water on a ducks back and some are just targets of anything bad that can happen will happen to them.

Maybe he has to smarten up, maybe he has to get better timing. In the end he didn't do anything so wrong that he deserves to be kicked off a team (even the rap). If you never did anything as egregious as he has in the last 6 months, then you probably never really had any real fun. Cut the kid a break and move on.

As for those posting links to pages and indicating how the media likes to lambaste UConn for their incidents, stop clicking or posting the links. If people stop clicking/posting those they know are going to piss them off they'll stop posting them and move on to other things they can post for clicks. Stop clicking them folks. Just stop.

I can't believe I just spent over 30 minutes of my life reading, researching and responding to this thread. Can the basketball season start already? I'm bored out of my mind.

Reaction Score
“I just think people might think he made a bad decision, but I think he kind of made the right decision,” Napier said. “He was helping out two people driving home. Granted he was a little buzzed, but he wasn’t over the intoxication level. He was driving without a license and that’s the only bad thing, but sometimes you get put in these pickles because you want to help out people. That’s what he told me he was trying to do, and I think he’s going to be back on the team.”
http://blog.ctnews.com/uconnbasketb...efends-olander-huskies-wait-on-faceys-status/

Reaction Score
“I just think people might think he made a bad decision, but I think he kind of made the right decision,” Napier said. “He was helping out two people driving home. Granted he was a little buzzed, but he wasn’t over the intoxication level. He was driving without a license and that’s the only bad thing, but sometimes you get put in these pickles because you want to help out people. That’s what he told me he was trying to do, and I think he’s going to be back on the team.”
http://blog.ctnews.com/uconnbasketb...efends-olander-huskies-wait-on-faceys-status/

Oh, he was buzzed? The right thing? H-cow.

Reaction Score
“I just think people might think he made a bad decision, but I think he kind of made the right decision,” Napier said. “He was helping out two people driving home. Granted he was a little buzzed, but he wasn’t over the intoxication level. He was driving without a license and that’s the only bad thing, but sometimes you get put in these pickles because you want to help out people. That’s what he told me he was trying to do, and I think he’s going to be back on the team.” http://blog.ctnews.com/uconnbasketball/2013/09/25/napier-defends-olander-huskies-wait-on-faceys-status/[/quote]

Husky Wat.jpg

Thanks Shabazz - that was helpful!

UConn Dan

Not HuskyFanDan; I lurk & I like
Reaction Score
Certainly sheds more light on this hairy mole.

ctchamps

We are UConn!! 4>1 But 5>>>>1 is even better!
Reaction Score
^
I can't believe I just spent over 30 minutes of my life reading, researching and responding to this thread. Can the basketball season start already? I'm bored out of my mind.
What are you planning on doing after the first loss and everyone bashes RB and TO if he is allowed to play?:) You could top the dog for lengthy post.

ctchamps

We are UConn!! 4>1 But 5>>>>1 is even better!
Reaction Score
Oh, he was buzzed? The right thing? H-cow.
I'm not sure I get your point. TO's sobriety test score is known so it's obvious he had a drink. What should SN have said? He was totally sober? He could have a drink and not be buzzed? Sure he shouldn't have said anything. But it's what kids think happens when they have a drink. SN is not a PC person.

What I get from SN's quote is that TO took the keys away from a kid who was blasted! Maybe TO is lying and SN is gullible. But I have no problem with his statement. It's the first statement explaining why TO was driving without a license. If true the kid was not the stupid person some of the stupid people in this forum want to portray him. He did the best thing short of calling for a cab.

Reaction Score
I'm not sure I get your point. TO's sobriety test score is known so it's obvious he had a drink. What should SN have said? He was totally sober? He could have a drink and not be buzzed? Sure he shouldn't have said anything. But it's what kids think happens when they have a drink. SN is not a PC person.

What I get from SN's quote is that TO took the keys away from a kid who was blasted! Maybe TO is lying and SN is gullible. But I have no problem with his statement. It's the first statement explaining why TO was driving without a license. If true the kid was not the stupid person some of the stupid people in this forum want to portray him. He did the best thing short of calling for a cab.

If you're buzzed, you shouldn't be driving. I went on the assumption that he was below the limit because he had a beer at most.

UConn Dan

Not HuskyFanDan; I lurk & I like
Reaction Score
If you're buzzed, you shouldn't be driving. I went on the assumption that he was below the limit because he had a beer at most.
I agree, if you're buzzed you shouldn't drive but something tells me all Tyler needs is one beer. I kid I kid.

Reaction Score
Many kids today are in no hurry to get their license because they've gotten used to be driven everywhere by their parents.

The biggest change has been the law that prevents kids from driving other kids until they have had their license for a year or turn 18. Now everyone has to drive their own cars alone instead of piling 3 or 4 into one car.
What I bet it is is he got caught before driving without a license. Very minor criminal offense, but DMV suspends your license for like 6 months - even though the kid doesn't "have" a license, they suspend it anyway. Then, you get caught again during the 6 month period, now they suspend you for a year. You get caught again, then its something like 3 years. Then it goes to 5. Then to lifetime suspension. It's an idiotic law, but that's how it works. Some kid, usually in Hartford, gets caught riding some unregistered motor scooter when he's 14 y.o., and just keeps getting suspension after suspension. I know, I know, he shouldn't be driving under suspension, tut, tut, tut and all that, but that's how it works. Tyler is going to get his license re-suspended now from DMV. It's just cumulative. It's called "suspension hell" in the business.

Reaction Score
Seeing as how 25% of the cars around here in LA aren't registered (really, not an exaggeration - they don't even have plates), and that most residents drive with a technically illegal out-of-state license, what he plead to was nothing more than stupid and dumb. If he puts in the 6 AM suicides and stadiums, he gets back on the team.

Talk about an exaggeration. Most people in LA have out of state plates? Incidentally, if you see a car with no plates rolling around LA you'll notice that it's typically a newer car rather than an old beater. You'll also see a sticker on the windshield that gets issued by the dealership. You've got something like a year to put plates on your car out here but that has no bearing on whether or not it's registered.

Reaction Score
Many kids today are in no hurry to get their license because they've gotten used to be driven everywhere by their parents.

Is this really a phenomenon? Granted, I'm about 20 years from when I got my license but I have a really hard time believing that in 2013 most 16 or 17 year olds don't want a driver's license because they like having their parents drive them. This sounds like a "get off my lawn" type post.

Reaction Score
Is this really a phenomenon? Granted, I'm about 20 years from when I got my license but I have a really hard time believing that in 2013 most 16 or 17 year olds don't want a driver's license because they like having their parents drive them. This sounds like a "get off my lawn" type post.

It really is a phenomenon. I am closer to 30 years from when I got my license and have a lot of friends with kids that are getting to be 16-17. The majority are in no hurry to get their license. I was pretty shocked at the first few, now I guess I expect it. As I said earlier, I got my license 6 weeks after I turned 16 and it couldn't get there fast enough. I wanted it the day I turned 16. It's a different wold today.

Reaction Score
Talk about an exaggeration. Most people in LA have out of state plates? Incidentally, if you see a car with no plates rolling around LA you'll notice that it's typically a newer car rather than an old beater. You'll also see a sticker on the windshield that gets issued by the dealership. You've got something like a year to put plates on your car out here but that has no bearing on whether or not it's registered.

Not most people have out-of-state plates, it's out-of-state licenses, as in the driver's license. Technically, by law you have 10 days from establishing residency in CA to get a CA driver's license. Most don't do it. And many, many of those cars are unregistered to avoid the sales tax you have to pay at registration. Most are indeed new, but that's also because the sales tax is higher.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
so1

Top Bottom